Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

kenwood double din dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/14, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4tic
oh center console; I don't have sync so I only have the aux jack.

this is what i did for the obd connector
Any tips on how to get the OBD-II connector "out" for better access to perform the solder job for the two wires?

I just tried to look under there and this old guy can not bend enough!
Old 8/3/14, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Any tips on how to get the OBD-II connector "out" for better access to perform the solder job for the two wires?

I just tried to look under there and this old guy can not bend enough!

the connector just slides back. It's a little tight but it will come off.

Good Luck !
Old 8/10/14, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Flight96! Will give it a go!

Any suggestions on where to locate/mount the Maestro RR module? As mentioned in other posts - to perform an update/reflash - it has to be removed from the car. Just thinking there may be a location that would make this process a bit easier than having to remove console/dash, etc.. Hopefully this would be infrequent - but - just trying to think ahead.
Old 8/24/14, 10:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by flight96
the connector just slides back. It's a little tight but it will come off.

Good Luck !
Turns out there are two screws that secure the OBD2 port to the dash underside in my car (2014).

Take those two screws out and then have much better access to the wires.
Old 2/6/15, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 12v Guy
We put two in the kit. You could leave the other unused or get a power adaptor and wire it up to there so you have a charging port.
Cheers,
12v Guy, how would one wire up the power adaptor?
Old 2/6/15, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Answered in pm. Feel free to paste here if you like.
Old 2/19/15, 10:00 AM

I need your help 12V Guy, I installed Maestro RR with MUS1 and Kenwood DDX5901HD as per the wiring diagram provided with Maestro. The problems I am facing are,
1) Unable to save settings (I connected RR red to KW red & RR yellow to KW yellow)
2) Unable to connect MHL, it says Parking off (I will check the orange wire connection after I get home)
3) Bluetooth does not connect automatically

Besides the above I would like to bypass the parking off safety feature, if I connect the KW orange-white wire to RR black (ground) will this bypass the safety feature?

Your help is much appreciated.
Old 3/17/15, 03:10 PM
GT Member

AM I going to have an issue with this head unit matching up to the MUS1 and Mastro unit???

Kenwood eXcelon DDX-8901HD,

I have read in the past threads that the DDX units do not work well with the MUS1 unit? I do not want NAVI since I have a Garmin and only use it when I need it. SO I opted for a Kenwood without NAVI in it......but what I want to know is, will my Kenwood unit be supported????

When I was on the Kenwood pages according to them it is compatible with Maestro....but what about the MUS1?
Old 3/18/15, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bentnail
AM I going to have an issue with this head unit matching up to the MUS1 and Mastro unit???

Kenwood eXcelon DDX-8901HD,

I have read in the past threads that the DDX units do not work well with the MUS1 unit? I do not want NAVI since I have a Garmin and only use it when I need it. SO I opted for a Kenwood without NAVI in it......but what I want to know is, will my Kenwood unit be supported????

When I was on the Kenwood pages according to them it is compatible with Maestro....but what about the MUS1?

So after reviewing Idatalink site and maestro.....I feel I am good to go.....I now the head unit, mus1, maestro unit in hand.....all I am in need of is the siriusxm module and antenna cable and i am good to go....I will pick those up this weekend.....but I am thinking of adding a camera for backup.....any recommend to fit a DDX8901HD head unit from Kenwood?
Old 3/20/15, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Most cams will go with the unit. It comes down to what cam you actually get for the car, and where you place it.
Old 3/21/15, 02:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sickwitit
12v Guy, how would one wire up the power adaptor?
Originally Posted by 12v Guy
Answered in pm. Feel free to paste here if you like.
sickwitit, please post here.
Old 3/23/15, 10:23 PM

USB port

Originally Posted by mustang5o
sickwitit, please post here.
You might want to get installer to help you. Basically you want to get a 12volt cigarette light to USB with a cord in between. You will cut off cig lighter and and hard wire to 12v and ground. Then plug the USB part on to the back of USB in dash kit pocket. Then you're done.
Old 3/24/15, 09:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically you want to get a 12volt cigarette light to USB with a cord in between. You will cut off cig lighter and and hard wire to 12v and ground. Then plug the USB part on to the back of USB in dash kit pocket. Then you're done.
Good information, thanks!
Not sure why 12V Guy didn't post that himself.
Old 3/25/15, 07:06 AM
GT Member

You might want to get installer to help you. Basically you want to get a 12volt cigarette light to USB with a cord in between. You will cut off cig lighter and and hard wire to 12v and ground. Then plug the USB part on to the back of USB in dash kit pocket. Then you're done.
I would be careful with this....as remembering my phone as well as other devices....usually they are looking for a 5v......so by clipping off the end and wiring directly to your cars 12v system would be bad....research on Amazon for converters for 12v to 5v 1.5amp.

I have looked at doing this for the other USB connector....Just haven't agreed to do it yet....
Old 3/25/15, 07:59 AM
GT Member

Name:  Photo 3 edited.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  20.7 KB

kenwood double din dash kit-img_0007.jpg

12V Guy.......The maestro unit is really a nice little device. Great product and thank you for your support to all on this thread. It retained my Sync (which I really dislike the most and the reason for this upgrade) and the steering wheel settings too.

My install took alot longer that I expected....since one i was had to run the satelite antenna, then contorting my body to allow me in and out of my Pony.

I have some recommendations for installation......

One, the depth of the unit when you screw on the mounting flanges for the unit, since I could not really figure out the entire depth.....i set mine to the front most of the slots.....basically lined up the flange bracket to the edge of the metal of the radio. Now that I am looking with it finished and in, I may take this out and re adjust so not soo much sticking out of the bezel. I can understand probably why you did not include as different units might stick out differently.

Two, the maestro device, making slots for ty wrapping it to something...other wires, structure or such. My siriusXM unit has the slots built in so I could strap it something.

My total installation time is not 2 hours....I spent about 5 hours doing mine....basically about 1 and half determining where to locate my siriusXM antenna and then routing that to the interior of the car. I also found that someone located theirs under the dash, interesting area. I am going to buy another antenna and try this out...Finding the little blue wire.....oh that little blue wire is the only blue wire that size in the bundle. I took a guess that was it as to have voltage checked it per the instructions still meant I was going to have to cut it to do that....That one was the roughest of them all to contort to get to. SMILES. Then the ODB wiring was simple since someone showed to removal of screws to allow for easier access, peel back some cloth tape, then I used T Saddle connectors with spade plugin for those. Flawless. The gauges and vehicle info works great..

All in all it works great....I mean I am tickled for the installation of my Kenwood Excelon DDX8901HD unit with SiriusXM satelite. I am still looking at adding a backup camera to it.

I am looking at getting a 12v converter to 5v 1.0/1.3 amp to USB for the other port in the MUS1 bracket. I have found them on Amazon but reviews for those are not that great. Still looking....Will post info concerning them later when I find one that seems to do what it is suppose to do.

Again alot of Thanks goes out to 12V Guy and his company for support.
Old 3/25/15, 02:50 PM
GT Member

I do have one thing I do not like.......when I am in call I can not adjust climate at all. The call will lock out any functions happening.....otherwise all else is good....