GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharger Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/15, 12:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercharger Questions

I have been researching for months and finally sat down with a performance shop here locally and got some final out the door pricing but I'm still looking for some answers from people that have lived with one for a while. I have seen everything from 450rwhp and less is ok on stock internals to the guy who threw a rod at 390rwhp. Im just trying to see how reliable these things really are under boost. Its a stock 09 4.6l 3v and i bought it used motor is strong did leak down and compression tests and they are even and right where they should be no smoke no rich/lean conditions the motor is very healthy with 46k miles on it. This is a DD so it won't see a ton of track time maybe the occasional pass or two but i definitely won't be beating on it. What can i safely run to get a little boost in the horsepower department without undressing the motor? I am looking at the Roush m90 kit which is well within the accepted horsepower and boost safe zone and the procharger which is right on the edge. My tuner won't touch the m90 and i do value his opinion but i think the TVS kit is just overkill for what I'm looking for and i don't want to stress it anymore than needed. Im also considering starting with forged internals but is it money i need to spend if I'm looking for the 400-450RWHP range? My only concern is being a daily i don't want to grenade anything. Just looking for input from guys that have run them and what to watch for and what to stay away from. These things can't be that weak if Roush ran them on stock internals. And i know for every one guy that had an issue theres hundreds not posting who had no problems. Not looking to start bashing anything here just looking for unbiased answers of did it work for you or not.

Last edited by 09-gt/cs; 9/25/15 at 12:12 AM.
Old 9/25/15, 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
My advice: keep the boost relatively low (under 9 psi), run an intercooled kit, and most importantly use a shop that is familiar with tuning the s197 platform! Don't use a local tuner if they aren't extremely familiar with the car. And likewise don't be afraid of mail order tunes from reputable shops like Brenspeed, Lund, AED, etc. even if it's just to get you started out.
Old 9/25/15, 05:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The canned tune that ProCharger provided me was spot on for safety according to the dyno shop I had it tested at. They could tweak it for more power, but I left it alone since mine is a DD as well and I would rather it be reliable. I'm running 7.5 PSI, but this is a 5.0, not a 4.6.
Old 9/25/15, 07:13 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 07 gt/cs that I installed a Saleen VI (no longer available). Started with a 3.6 pulley (5 to 7 psi). Engine had about 18,000 miles on it. Used e-mail tunes from Brenspeed and Bama(at the time it was called something else and was brought out by Bama). Upgraded to a 3.4 pulley (7 to 9.5 psi) with a Dyno tune from Brenspeed. 452rwhp and 430 torque was the finally product. Now at 36,000miles with no problems. It's a summer car (no winter) I do SCCA autocross and enjoy it.
Other things I have are electric water pump, bigger radiator, and a bigger SC coolant tank, shorty headers(only because I almost got them for free), 39lbs FI, cooler spark plugs, and a bigger CAI.

Just look at Brenspeed.com at their Sc's and options.
Old 9/25/15, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone. tom281 Yeah i want to stay below the 10PSI the P1SC claims not sure if that requires a pulley change or not. My tuner Im talking to now only does Ford and Mopar he had everything from Fox's to S550's Had an 800RWHP Marauder sitting there to and got to see the finished twin turbo on a brand new s550 so tuning the s197s doesn't concern me from him looked very good from what I saw. Im still checking around and looking at a few other places. I will reach out to Brenspeed and the others too. Thanks for all the info. SpectreH thanks for the input I would imagine its similar for the 5.0 they all have their limits just wanted to check with current owners to see what has caused problems. Im thinking I'm going to go for it and let the guy tune it he was straightforward with me. Also the price seems pretty fair for the fact that he's doing a tuner kit with some upgraded fuel stuff to add some more safety.
Old 9/25/15, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my 07 GT from a Roush Performance dealership and had the Roush M90 and Roush CAI installed on the 4.6 engine, the day it rolled off the truck from Ford at the dealership. I went the first 3 years on the Roush tune and then bumped up the HP with a new tune from JDM Engineering, along with the 2.49 pulley and the larger Ford Racing throttle body. I'm approx 440 HP to the wheels right now. Very driveable and streetable...and probably just what you're looking for. The 4.6 has been perfect for all those 8 years...with regular engine maintenence of course. I've never added any oil between oil changes. I do track the car at track days and HPDEs and can tell you that it will hold it's own with the higher HP cars, with the right suspension setup. A tuner ( other than JDM ) has told me that he really likes the M90...because it is honest HP that you can put down to the ground. He said that a lot of the TVS supercharger and tune installs that they do with the big HP numbers, come back to them in less than a year, asking for a lower HP tune...to make them more street driveable. I thought that said a lot about the "little" M90 that many folks will sneer at these days. I'm throughly happy and satisfied with my M90 and tune....and I think it is very safe for the 4.6. Actually, it is all in the tune.....and if you go with a reputable tuner who has had tons of experience with the 4.6 and the M90 you can get some great SAFE and very streetable HP. As I've used JDM Engineering and have been quite happy and satisfied with them and their M90 tune....I will recommend them. Though I've not had first had experience with them VMP Tuning is also a Mustang tuner of great reputation. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on an M90 on the stock 4.6.
Old 9/25/15, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I had more miles on my car than you when I put mine on. 3 1/8" pulley which is 11-12 psi on a stock motor. It runs 10.3 psi with my little cams and headers. I drive my car like its stolen. I'm a little **** about maintenance and upkeep, but I do beat her like a red headed step child. My car made 485 to the wheels through an automatic. That's probably just over 500 for you stick shift guys. Perfectly safe to run with good fuel, good A/F ratio and conservative ignition timing. The key is the tune. Couple of guys I know run in the 500-515 range without issues. I have backed off the timing a bit and make somewhere in the 460 range now just because it gets super hot where I live. I have had the S/C on there for 4-5 years and like I said I beat on her regularly. A bunch of track runs and i pretty much take her to the rev limiter just about every time I drive her. She used to be a daily and I never worried about her.

My thoughts on what you want. I think I would get a blower with too much capacity. You can tune it down on the upper end and have huge gains down low. I mean, I would rather make 425 over a broad power band than peak at 450 at 6K RPMs. That will give you the most entertainment value.

M90 is OK but prone to heat soak. There is a reason why they are abundant and cheap. Personally I would stay with a PD twin screw for that broader more usable power band, and a small Whipple or KB would suit that purpose just fine.
Old 10/10/15, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Boost is irreverent. If you're making 450hp with 6lb of boost or 450hp with 14lb of boost it will not make one bit of difference to your rods/pistons (which is what breaks). Of course you would rather make 450hp with 6lb (you can't, just an example) because of the lower intake air temps, etc. But it has nothing to do with the motor breaking or not.

HP (or TQ, semantics) and RPM's breaks parts, not boost. Keep it under 450hp and 6,000rpm and you will be as safe as safe can be.
Old 10/10/15, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
Boost is irreverent. If you're making 450hp with 6lb of boost or 450hp with 14lb of boost it will not make one bit of difference to your rods/pistons (which is what breaks). Of course you would rather make 450hp with 6lb (you can't, just an example) because of the lower intake air temps, etc. But it has nothing to do with the motor breaking or not.

HP (or TQ, semantics) and RPM's breaks parts, not boost. Keep it under 450hp and 6,000rpm and you will be as safe as safe can be.
True, boost is measure of restriction. Torque/hp is going to be what breaks your rods along with the amount of ignition timing you're playing with. You want to run the least amount of boost with a given air volume. Less boost, more air into the cylinders, and more power.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/10/15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10/15/15, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '06 had a Saleen blower on it for about three years.

The first two I was, I believe (it's been a while) on the 3.6 pulley which was around 6lbs.

I then went to a 3.2 pulley which was around 11lbs of boost.

The first two years the car ran flawlessly. Never had one single issue.

Two weeks after I put the 3.2 pulley on the clutch went.

I put an aftermarket clutch on... and then it went.

Went back to the stock clutch and put the larger 3.6 on the car.

For me the motor wasn't the issue at all... the clutch was the issue.

Eventually I replaced the motor with a GT500 driveline.