Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Kit

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/15, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Kit

I searched for this and only found a 4 year old thread when these came out, has anyone here actually installed one of Edelbrocks E-Force Supercharger kits on their 5.0 and can comment on how happy they are with it, share any dyno numbers, etc.? I was really interested in these when they came out since they have a super straight forward install and factory clean look when you're done, but I've read that heat can be an issue since these are sitting right on top of the motor and suffer significant HP loss when the engine is hot? Any experiences anyone can share?

Thanks, Jim
Old 9/26/15, 02:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have one and like it. I'm in Cali and I needed a safe, smog compliant SC. I wasn't looking for crazy HP. I have the the stage one with a Brenspeed tune. It runs great. We have 100 deg.+ days here occasionally, I can't feel a difference in power, and the engine stays cool.

The hard core guys don't like 'em 'cause you can't pump 'em up to crazy numbers and they're ugly. That's what you get with an inverted SC. The pretty part is inside the engine.

Last edited by TommyV; 9/26/15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 9/26/15, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by TommyV
I have one and like it. I'm in Cali and I needed a safe, smog compliant SC. I wasn't looking for crazy HP. I have the the stage one with a Brenspeed tune. It runs great. We have 100 deg.+ days here occasionally, I can't feel a difference in power, and the engine stays cool.

The hard core guys don't like 'em 'cause you can't pump 'em up to crazy numbers and they're ugly. That's what you get with an inverted SC. The pretty part is inside the engine.

Maybe its me but I don't think they're ugly at all. To me they look like the car could have come that way which I actually like! I'm not looking for max HP either since mine's a convertible and at least so far I haven't added a roll bar. So I'm limited to spirited street driving and the occasional autocross which is OK. For me its going to come down to either to the Eforce or something similar vs. a Hellion dual turbo setups. Both look to be super clean installs, with the turbos costing a bit more but probably adding another 50 or so HP over the supercharger with stock pulley. Thanks for the feedback its appreciated!

Jim
Old 9/28/15, 08:03 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
that kind of looks somewhat similar to the dodge hellcat supercharger.
How many PSI does the E Force produce?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0&mode=overlay

Last edited by boss man; 9/28/15 at 08:05 AM.
Old 9/28/15, 09:20 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boss man
that kind of looks somewhat similar to the dodge hellcat supercharger.
How many PSI does the E Force produce?
I think it's 5 lbs with the stock Edelbrock configuration. Not sure what the Stage 1 puts out.
http://tinyurl.com/pnvj7ck

Last edited by Len; 9/28/15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 9/29/15, 02:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

You can buy a 3.5 or 3.0 pulley to bump it up. You'll have to use the competition intake though.
Old 10/2/15, 10:22 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I figured Tommy was going to chime in right away, and he did I like his car and his setup.

Jim, that being said, looks like ease of installation and stock look is what you're looking for and some of your MIR's.

I have my Magnuson set up and really like it. Did the install all myself with no cutting or grinding of any sort. Stock pulley was 3.9", 5.5 lbs of boost, and I was at 520whp with a JDM Engineering tune (link to dyno chart on my sig below). I have since upgraded to NGK plugs, 3.6 pulley, at 9 lbs of boost, with a new JDM tune, and am at 545whp. I plan to add a CFM intake, LTH, and hi flow cats soon, so I expect to be at 575whp.

Old 10/4/15, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I figured Tommy was going to chime in right away, and he did I like his car and his setup.

Jim, that being said, looks like ease of installation and stock look is what you're looking for and some of your MIR's.

I have my Magnuson set up and really like it. Did the install all myself with no cutting or grinding of any sort. Stock pulley was 3.9", 5.5 lbs of boost, and I was at 520whp with a JDM Engineering tune (link to dyno chart on my sig below). I have since upgraded to NGK plugs, 3.6 pulley, at 9 lbs of boost, with a new JDM tune, and am at 545whp. I plan to add a CFM intake, LTH, and hi flow cats soon, so I expect to be at 575whp.

Looks amazing. I love how it looks being all stock and such.
Old 10/5/15, 08:19 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by pressman43
Looks amazing. I love how it looks being all stock and such.
Many thanks Bill! I need to do a better job at detailing the engine compartment though. I just don't have the time and tools, like I used to. I focus more so on the exterior...
Old 10/8/15, 11:01 AM

I plan on putting the Stage 2 Edelbrock kit in this spring. I will let you know how it goes. I don't have a ton of experience working on cars but the installation looks pretty straight forward. I plan on getting the kit from Brenspeed and it should be in the 533 rwhp range until I can drop headers on.

I plan on doing the billet oil pump gears at the same time since I will have easy access to the timing cover with everything off.
Old 10/9/15, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very cool, post some pics.
Old 10/10/15, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Road_Runner
I searched for this and only found a 4 year old thread when these came out, has anyone here actually installed one of Edelbrocks E-Force Supercharger kits on their 5.0 and can comment on how happy they are with it, share any dyno numbers, etc.? I was really interested in these when they came out since they have a super straight forward install and factory clean look when you're done, but I've read that heat can be an issue since these are sitting right on top of the motor and suffer significant HP loss when the engine is hot? Any experiences anyone can share?

Thanks, Jim
The E-Force, or any blower for that matter won't make more power than any other when you're playing with pump gas. Ignore the manufacturer claims. If the blower is sized correctly (they all are) you will run out of octane long before you run out of blower.

The E Force doesn't make one more FT LB of TQ than any of the other PD blowers. The long runner deal is a gimmick.

If in the future you want to "grow" the E Force is not the way to go. It's inlet restricted and will not put down big numbers like the other 2.3L blowers will.

The E Force also has a underwhelming intercooler. Which is the biggest problem. All the blowers make boost, that's easy. The difference is which ones can do it with low intake air temps. High intake air temps kill power, lots of power. It is not uncommon to be down 50-75hp from what it ran on the dyno.

Read this:

http://departmentofboost.com/tech_in...e_boosting.htm
Old 10/11/15, 02:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool

Originally Posted by sqidd
If in the future you want to "grow" the E Force is not the way to go. It's inlet restricted and will not put down big numbers like the other 2.3L blowers will.
Like I said previously, the E Force is for someone that wants a safe, reliable, smog legal, SC. It also comes with a three year engine warranty. If you want to make big numbers, look elsewhere.

The E Force also has a underwhelming intercooler.
I don't believe a 110 Sq-inch intercooler is underwhelming. It was 103 deg. here yesterday and my car pulled as strong as ever.

Please feel free to back up any of the hate you are spewing against my poor little E Force.
Old 10/11/15, 05:56 AM
I Have No Life

The E-Force, or any blower for that matter won't make more power than any other when you're playing with pump gas. Ignore the manufacturer claims. If the blower is sized correctly (they all are) you will run out of octane long before you run out of blower.

The E Force doesn't make one more FT LB of TQ than any of the other PD blowers. The long runner deal is a gimmick.

The E Force also has a underwhelming intercooler. Which is the biggest problem. All the blowers make boost, that's easy. The difference is which ones can do it with low intake air temps. High intake air temps kill power, lots of power. It is not uncommon to be down 50-75hp from what it ran on the dyno.

Read this:

http://departmentofboost.com/tech_in...e_boosting.htm
Like I said previously, the E Force is for someone that wants a safe, reliable, smog legal, SC. It also comes with a three year engine warranty. If you want to make big numbers, look elsewhere.I don't believe a 110 Sq-inch intercooler is underwhelming. It was 103 deg. here yesterday and my car pulled as strong as ever.

Please feel free to back up any of the hate you are spewing against my poor little E Force.
Tommy, no worries, I'm in the same boat as you. I chose magnuson for precisely the same reasons as you. Safe, reliable, drivable, easy to install, 2.3L PD, BOOST. My restriction was also the inlet and intercooler. Same thing. I am making 550whp currently and will be making around 580whp reliably. I'm done after that. I'm totally ok with it. I'll have to switch blowers and modify engine internals if I want more than that. My current plan is to keep Marilyn reliable forever then just buy a Shelby to go along with her. That one will be getting big power.
Old 10/11/15, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't believe a 110 Sq-inch intercooler is underwhelming.
Most other IC's are double that size.

Facts are not hate.
Old 10/11/15, 05:30 PM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most other IC's are double that size.

Facts are not hate.
Although intercooler size is a consideration, aren't intercoolers rated by effectiveness and flow and not by size? Do you have any info that the Edelbrock IC is any less efficient than its competition or that it causes the inlet temperature to be excessive?
Old 10/11/15, 05:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Bottom line: If you are happy with the performance, it does not matter if another brand is more efficient or makes more HP.
Old 10/11/15, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Len
Although intercooler size is a consideration, aren't intercoolers rated by effectiveness and flow and not by size? Do you have any info that the Edelbrock IC is any less efficient than its competition or that it causes the inlet temperature to be excessive?
Yes, or I wouldn't have posted my thoughts.

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Bottom line: If you are happy with the performance, it does not matter if another brand is more efficient or makes more HP.
The OP can't be "happy with the performance" because he doesn't have a blower yet. The OP is here looking for advice on a VERY EXPENSIVE purchase. And he is getting good informed information.

Last edited by sqidd; 10/11/15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10/11/15, 08:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Yes, or I wouldn't have posted my thoughts.

The OP can't be "happy with the performance" because he doesn't have a blower yet. The OP is here looking for advice on a VERY EXPENSIVE purchase. And he is getting good informed information.
True, but the one person who has one in this thread is happy with it. Hopefully the OP will be happy with whatever he chooses. Me, I'm a centrifugal fan
Old 10/12/15, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
True, but the one person who has one in this thread is happy with it.
I'm really not trying to come off as argumentative here. Only pointing out things that I see in the market place and some issues with how decisions are made.

I have no doubt that the guy with the Eforce is happy with it. I should hope he is. A blower, any blower will make one happier. Even the worst blowers are a huge jump from NA.

A subject that I don't see addressed is what is "I'm happy with my blower" guy/girl (this could be anyone) comparing it to? If they are comparing it to NA well, they ought to be happy. Their car has a whole lot more power than before. Big smiles all the way around. The problem that arises is are they able to compare that to another blower? The answer to that is most of the time no. Not very many people have experience with multiple blowers. So really they only know if they are happy in comparison to NA, not if they are happy compared to what they should be comparing to, other blowers. On a basic level they are basing their happiness on a sample size of one. That's like getting married to the first girl you ever met.

Another issue is that most people don't know how to benchmark their blowers performance. Intake air temps (IAT) is a fine example of that. Most people don't know what their IAT's are. And most of the ones that do only know what they were on the dyno, which is nowhere near real life. It is very uncommon for the blower crowd to data log their IAT's while driving or have a gauge that reads out on the dash. Or even know what the numbers mean. And that is a problem because IAT's are the NUMBER ONE FACTOR in a blowers performance. Most people don't realize that they are driving around down on power due to high IAT's all the time. Lots of power.

Taking into consideration that most people have experience with only one blower and have no idea how it is actually performing (IAT's) it's hard to take "I like my blower" as a reliable review.

And lastly not very many people will say out loud or even admit to themselves that they made a large purchasing mistake.

I know all about this through expirience. I thought my first blower was the greatest thing in the world. I thought my second blower was pretty good. By the time I got to my 3rd, 4th, 5th blower and played with a lot more on friends cars did I start to realize that my first two blowers were GARBAGE. I'm simply trying to give the best advice I can based on a lot of experience so maybe I can help someone from making the same $6000+ mistakes that I did.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Kit