Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/16, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well with drag racing in mind, auto all the way. Especially with the turbos it takes a while to get consistent hard launches with a manual (as im sure you know). Besides you have the Shelby to keep you occupied on the street. But a built auto with paddles will be a riot on the streets and would do very well in the road course as well.
Old 4/4/16, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by XRFairmont
The 6R80 has a 4.17 first gear. Couple that with a 2:1 torque multiplication through the converter (even a stock stall one) and the biggest problem you'll have is traction in a light car (the EB/Auto combination has no problem lightning up the tyres in an F truck....if all the YouTube video's I've watched are anything to go by). I'm putting this combo into a 1967 Falcon and will be leaving the stall speed standard for that exact reason.
You may need to spend some money on the converter anyway as they have a really bad design in the thrust bearings and fail in a very messy way. There is a bronze thrust on one side of the stator that gets overloaded. When it wears down the needle roller on the other side of the stator gets pounded to death. Result is a lot of metal through your trans. The aftermarket converters I found in a previous post overcome this problem by using real bearings (none of this bronze thrust crap).
We've seen this a lot in Oz - the 6R80 is used in a light pickup (well, it is light by US standards, over here it is quite large ) and I've torn down many 6R80's to clean them out following a converter failure.
I haven't read anything about the 6r80 torque converters having problems in the US, I wonder if it got a different converter? Online people are saying that the oem transmission is nearly bullet proof, no mention of bad torque converter. Well hopefully it will make it through this season and I can replace it this winter.
Old 4/4/16, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
I'm pretty sure he means an aftermarket upgrade 3.7 driveshaft lol
Lol, yes for sure
Old 4/4/16, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by XRFairmont
So the switches talk to the box wirelessly? Tell whoever designed this that I want to have his babies.
With a different mount this could fit any steering wheel and no need to much around with clock springs or the like.
Now, all I need is for Trump to win and the resulting improvement to the exchange rate will make it possible for me to buy them without consulting the Minister for Finance (the wife).
Haha, no doubt. Trump was funny at first and but now......wow

Ya the wireless part is a nice touch, pretty cool idea.
Old 4/4/16, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Well with drag racing in mind, auto all the way. Especially with the turbos it takes a while to get consistent hard launches with a manual (as im sure you know). Besides you have the Shelby to keep you occupied on the street. But a built auto with paddles will be a riot on the streets and would do very well in the road course as well.
Old 4/4/16, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I haven't read anything about the 6r80 torque converters having problems in the US, I wonder if it got a different converter? Online people are saying that the oem transmission is nearly bullet proof, no mention of bad torque converter. Well hopefully it will make it through this season and I can replace it this winter.
Would be nice if the US converters are different. I'll know more when I get around to stripping my F150 down....but it might be a while. Target for getting the car finished is this side of me expiring from old age
Only other issue we've had over here is the lead frame connector getting corrosion on the output sensor terminals. Once the output speed signal is lost the trans shifts to god knows what gear and nearly takes the diff out of the car.
Other than these two items the 6R80 is an amazing piece of work. Strong as an ox and very easy to work on.
Old 4/6/16, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not getting thread notifications from this anymore
Old 4/8/16, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Got the auto trans today
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 4/8/16, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

I'm going to do it right this time, got the car on the lift and I'll use a transmission jack to get this one installed.
Old 4/8/16, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

If anyone wants to switch their 3.7 auto to standard let me know! I'll have everything you need after this weekend
Old 4/9/16, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

I had one of the most fun races of my life today in my GT500! I got to race a hellcat 3 1/2 times on a really nice 4 lane road with a huge grass divider, out in the middle of nowhere. No cars, no people, no houses even. The guy had me follow him out there, we even stopped and chatted for a few minutes between races.

The half race was our first race and I lost, we could only go for a couple seconds and I got sideways....we started in second gear and his car was so loud I couldnt hear my own engine redlining, I shifted and blew the tires off. When we let off my bumper was at his door...so it was close.

The next 3 were proper roll races starting from 2nd and 3rd, I beat the hellcat by 3-5 car lengths when I let off around 120-130. I was even letting him take off first before I floored it! He would pull slightly ahead of me for 25-50' and when he shifted it looked like someone dropped anchor, I reeled him in and blew past everytime.

I asked him had he ever been beat before, he told me once by a e85 GTR. I was also beat by a GTR at the track by .2 but he was running slicks and I was on street tires. I actually crossed the line first because I treed him but he ran a faster time. That's my only loss ever to what I consider a street car, I don't count the 1/2 race with the hellcat, had we had more room I still would have went around him.

What a blast, I was soooo proud of my Shelby. I really really regret not having my GoPro setup in the car, it would have went viral for Ford fans. Btw no need for anyone to tell me how dangerous street racing is...I'm aware.

Last edited by Ecostang; 4/10/16 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
boss man (4/9/16)
Old 4/10/16, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

I'm pulling out my gt500 diff cooler, since the car is going to be used for drag racing, it's extra weight I don't need. I think we are going to install it on Lexiions car but if he decides not to I'll have this up for sale.

Last edited by Ecostang; 4/10/16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 4/10/16, 08:40 AM
Cobra Member

Got the manual trans pulled out yesterday
Old 4/10/16, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

I got the torque converter and flex plate installed. I also got the rear diff cover pulled off and all the fluid drained.

I'm replacing rearend gears with 3.31, this will be my first time to do gears myself....wish me luck! I'm also replacing the axles with TEN hardened axles while I'm in there. I'll change the rear brakes back to the smaller rotors so I can run the 15" wheels. I'll probably put the 13" rotors and the brackets up for sale since I don't see needing them any longer. Pm me if interested.

I also bought a new aluminum driveshaft so I won't be dealing with that potential time bomb. I'm ordering an 8.8 diff girdle and an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear since I'm going with huge tires. I also have to order all the trans cooling lines and heat exchanger for the auto trans, the 2010 parts I saved do not work

The 2014 auto shifter and a new console lid should arrive later this week. I need to order an auto shifter cable, unfortunately it's $120 and my 2010 shifter cable won't work.

I'm thinking the ecostang will be back on the road a week from today!
Old 4/10/16, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Also I found at least one issue with the speedo that will be fixed when changing out to auto trans. I had 2 plugs with my wire harness going back to the trans. Turns out one of those plugs was to control the transfer case...my donor engine was from a 4x4. Both plugs have a purple/green wire, I used the purple/green from the wrong plug....doh!
Old 4/10/16, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Did you still need my rear rotors?
The following users liked this post:
Ecostang (4/10/16)
Old 4/10/16, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Oh ya, I totally forgot! Thanks for reminding me, yes I would still like to use them. I'll send you a PM now.
Old 4/11/16, 12:55 AM
Cobra Member

Cool video gator!

Old 4/11/16, 04:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! I'm gonna try to document the build on YouTube as well, and hopefully the production value goes up with the next video haha. I almost have my new engine in now, but life got crazy for a few days. Hopefully I'll have it in by this weekend though so I can update my thread and put out a new video.

I've actually been looking into the IRS swap idea over the past few days though. I think if I was to sell my current suspension setup (which is basically unused right now lol) it might not even be all that expensive. Do you know if it would clear the factory gas tank? I haven't gotten a chance to steal my friends S550 for some research yet lol but from what I can see in pictures online it looks like a tight squeeze.
Old 4/11/16, 05:56 PM
Cobra Member

I was going to buy a cradle and see if I could get it to fix before buying the rearend. There was one for sale on eBay for $150 but it's not there any longer. I figured if it don't fit I could just resell it, maybe you can find one used somewhere. Seems like it would be easier to work with just the cradle to start out with.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap