'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/16, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
The only difference between them to my advantage is a tune, smaller pulley, Cai, and 3.73 gears. So it should but the roads are too cold to find out, don't want this to happen
Technically the gears are different, however I have 3.55, he has 3.73, and I have a shorter 1st and 2nd gear in the tranny.
Missing is the 2.4 pulley, tune and bigger intake. Don't want to call them
CAI, as they all are more like HAI's.

And that could easily change until the roads get warm again
LEXiiON
Old 1/28/16, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just making sure that the 6 banger stays below our 5.8's
Old 1/28/16, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Missing is the 2.4 pulley, tune and bigger intake.
LEXiiON
For less than $600 and 2 hrs worth of work they would be basically the same, then it would be down to the driver.

I'm really looking forward to racing them at bandimere this year. I would guarantee at the end of the race season the ecostang will beat both our shelbys in the 1/4 mi. It won't out power them but it will have better suspension, lots more traction, and it will weigh considerably less. If you only knew how many times I've been beat by coyotes at the track, all they need is bolt-ons and a set of slicks. I never been beat on the streets tho, it's never been close.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/29/16 at 12:03 AM.
Old 1/29/16, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That 3.5 badge is pretty cool. I'd roll up in my stock-ish 5.0 and laugh at you, then mope afterwards, after you left me in the dust! LOL
Old 1/29/16, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100k views on the thread! Wow!
Congrats on the 100k views!

I was so surprised when my thread hit 100k views.

Now its probably a couple months away from 1 million views . .

I check your thread pretty much daily just waiting for that initial test drive.

That will be a exciting day . .

I am probably still 1000 hours away from having mine completed. At least I have gotten to drive and enjoy it.

I am really looking forward to driving it with the new Turbo's and other mods.
Old 1/29/16, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
The car is a BAMF. What you guys have created in a home garage is just beyond words for me. I'm just extremely jealous of the skills all of you have and what you've done. From fabrication to wiring to tuning, its all more than I can even ponder, and I used to consider myself fairly good at working on cars and putting engines together. But that was years ago, with old push rod motors and old school hot rodding. You guys have taken the art of hot rods to a new level that I can't even imagine doing myself, I'm just not smart enough or educated enough, and I'm probably too old to learn so I just sit and marvel at the skill you guys have acquired and put to use.
I'm right there with you. Wish I had the ability and "know how" to pull something like this off. no matter if you are a one man army or a group of people doing this. It still requires talent to pull off.

[/QUOTE]

Idiots. would have been classic if the driver of that video stuck around to show the Police
Old 1/29/16, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100

I am probably still 1000 hours away from having mine completed. At least I have gotten to drive and enjoy it.
Thanks timewarp! Your thread has some major traction for sure, you've been maintaining it for years. Your basically doing a frame up restoration and an ecoboost swap, it's no wonder you have so many hours invested. You have a one-of-a-kind ride for sure.

Lexiion, how happy are you that we don't have 1000 hours left
Old 1/29/16, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks timewarp! Your thread has some major traction for sure, you've been maintaining it for years. Your basically doing a frame up restoration and an ecoboost swap, it's no wonder you have so many hours invested. You have a one-of-a-kind ride for sure.

Lexiion, how happy are you that we don't have 1000 hours left
I guess you need to ask my wife

LEXiiON
Old 1/29/16, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

I guess you need to ask my wife

LEXiiON
You know we could just move the car over to your garage instead
Old 1/29/16, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

I got some whiteline lower control arm relocation brackets I'll be installing this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 1/29/16, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

I also got the aux fuel injector controller.
Old 1/30/16, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

FYI turbo blankets do not fit ecoboost, although the blankets I bought were listed to fit 2010-2015 f150 ecoboost. The clearance between the turbo and the motor is too tight to go around. Also the turbo mount and exhaust flange get in the way.

I did get the exhaust pipes from the turbo to the cats wrapped.
Old 1/30/16, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

I drilled and tapped my extra intake on both sides for the boost gauge and air temp gauge so I can get rid of the throttle body spacer. With the throttle body spacer it was a tight fit for the turbo piping and the engine is running better without it.
Old 1/30/16, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Made this relay bracket and mounted it to one of the blower bolts. One is for reverse lights, another for the fuel pumps?...Lexiion what are the others for? I know we needed them but I can't remember what they were going to control.

Old 1/30/16, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Made this relay bracket and mounted it to one of the blower bolts. One is for reverse lights, another for the fuel pumps?...Lexiion what are the others for? I know we needed them but I can't remember what they were going to control.

One is for Fuel Pumps
One for Reverse lights
One for PCM Wakeup
One for Start

LEXiiON
Old 1/31/16, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

Oh man this s*** is hilarious. This guy takes a tuned ecoboost transit van on the Nurburgring and crushes it! He's passing motorcycles and all kinds of other cars racing. If you didn't think an ecoboost was badass before now THIS should change your mind! This guy is crazy.....and a **** good driver lol

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/31/16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 1/31/16, 09:03 AM
Cobra Member

What's interesting is that the van has a 3.5 ecoboost with a manual transmission, I actually didn't know that setup existed direct from ford. The other interesting part is the HP is reduced to 310 vs 385 in the truck.

If I can get my hands on a cheap PCM from a wrecked manual ecoboost van that might be worth doing. It's possible that the control strategy for the manual could be copied and put in my current PCM.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/31/16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 1/31/16, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

What's interesting is that the van has a 3.5 ecoboost with a manual transmission, I actually didn't know that setup existed direct from ford. The other interesting part is the HP is reduced to 310 vs 385 in the truck.

If I can get my hands on a cheap PCM from a wrecked manual ecoboost van that might be worth doing. It's possible that the control strategy for the manual could be copied and put in my current PCM.
It seems on the Ford page, you can only configure the EcoBoost with Automatic transmission??

LEXiiON
Old 1/31/16, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

It seems on the Ford page, you can only configure the EcoBoost with Automatic transmission??

LEXiiON
For the US I think auto is the only option. The guy in the video is either driving an ecoboost or a turbo diesel, defintely has a turbo because you can hear it in the videos. Defintely is a manual trans too. With the performance of the van I'm assuming it's not the 115 hp diesel and it's the ecoboost?

He's obviously foreign but the van has a left hand drive, not sure which countries have left hand drive?

The redline of the diesel is 4500 rpms, I found this pic of a 2013 transit van with a manual 5500 rpm redline. I'm assuming this would be an ecoboost?
Old 1/31/16, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Looking at his interior it's a 2011, so it's either a diesel or ford offered the ecoboost in another country 2 years before offering them in the US?

If its a diesel with only a tune that's even more impressive than an ecoboost motor!

I looked around for a PCM for a transit ecoboost and found nothing, auto or standard.

Oh well.....

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/31/16 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap