'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/16, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Instead of filming 35 min of Sunday driving you should film a 45 second smoky burnout
I hope you have a set of spare tires for your Stang. I want to see smoke.....

LEXiiON
Old 1/5/16, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I added a line loc for a reason , you better believe there will be some smoky burnouts!

When I was 16 yrs old I got a ticket for doing a burnout. My dad told me that when I had to pay for my own tires I wouldn't be doing that anymore. Well dad my factory tires for my Shelby had to be replaced after 3k miles lol.
Old 1/5/16, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Considering how much factory Shelby tires suck, I can see you burning them up just as an excuse to replace them, lol
Old 1/5/16, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Considering how much factory Shelby tires suck, I can see you burning them up just as an excuse to replace them, lol
Haha, you got that right!
Old 1/6/16, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

Lexiion came over again tonight and we made some headway. He established communication with the PCM but then we realized we need the pcm programmed to remove PATS and to remove the auto trans before we can start it. He's got a friend that can do this work so I will send the PCM to him tomorrow. Unfortunately it could take a couple weeks to get it back.
Old 1/7/16, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexiion came over again tonight and we made some headway. He established communication with the PCM but then we realized we need the pcm programmed to remove PATS and to remove the auto trans before we can start it. He's got a friend that can do this work so I will send the PCM to him tomorrow. Unfortunately it could take a couple weeks to get it back.
Yikes! You strike me as a patient person, but this would kill me!
Old 1/7/16, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Yikes! You strike me as a patient person, but this would kill me!
Eh, it's not that bad. There's a sheet of ice on my driveway and it's supposed to snow today so I'm not missing anything yet. If the weather was warming up I would have a greater sense of urgency and less patience for sure.

Also for the last 9 months I've been building this car there has been uncertainty on how the electronics were going to work exactly. At least we know now what needs to be done, so that's a huge step in the right direction. When the PCM comes back the car should start without any troubles.

I still have a few things to work on with the car, mostly to finish a few paint and body items before it can be driven.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/7/16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 1/8/16, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Lexiion has been working with the tuner/PCM guru on the next steps with the car. Sounds like they have a plan so I overnighted the PCM. He also had me buy a MPVI which is a programming tool that I can use here once I get the PCM back. He's going to make some major adjustments to the PCM programming on his bench and then ship it back to put it back to us. Whatever additional changes that are required can made here using the MPVI, it will also allow the tuner to custom tune the engine remotely. I'm not sure how all this works just yet, I'm learning as we go.

I'll probably get to paint the rear bumper this weekend and get it installed. There are a few other small projects I'll knock out while I wait on the PCM to come back.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/8/16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 1/8/16, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

My wife found this pic she took today, we picked the car up in Indianapolis at a copart auction. This is day 1!

Had to make this my avatar, it's a cool pic.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/10/16 at 11:41 AM.
Old 1/9/16, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife found this pic she took today, we picked the car up in Indianapolis at a copart auction. This is day 1!
Wow!
Old 1/9/16, 08:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Haha wow that is awesome!! Like saving a puppy from the pound and turning it into a show winning beast!
Old 1/9/16, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

lol, he's gone Mike!

Old 1/9/16, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Wow!
Originally Posted by laserred38
Haha wow that is awesome!! Like saving a puppy from the pound and turning it into a show winning beast!
That was only 9 months ago, feels like years lol. Defintely saved this one from the graveyard, even most of the parts that were used were also from graveyard cars and trucks. I think I'll print this pic and put it in the glovebox to always remember
Old 1/9/16, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Lexiion has been working with the tuner/PCM guru on the next steps with the car. Sounds like they have a plan so I overnighted the PCM. He also had me buy a MPVI which is a programming tool that I can use here once I get the PCM back. He's going to make some major adjustments to the PCM programming on his bench and then ship it back to put it back to us. Whatever additional changes that are required can made here using the MPVI, it will also allow the tuner to custom tune the engine remotely. I'm not sure how all this works just yet, I'm learning as we go.

I'll probably get to paint the rear bumper this weekend and get it installed. There are a few other small projects I'll knock out while I wait on the PCM to come back.
Yeah. Matt aka ZeroSVT aka ZeroAviation from HPtuners is going to do our PCM and tune work. He is well known from the cluster retrofit thread...
I am confident that he can get us towards turning the key next week.
LEXiiON
Old 1/9/16, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Yeah. Matt aka ZeroSVT aka ZeroAviation from HPtuners is going to do our PCM and tune work. He is well known from the cluster retrofit thread...
I am confident that he can get us towards turning the key next week.
LEXiiON
I wasn't sure if he wanted to remain anonymous or not so I didn't put his name out. Matt has been very helpful so far and I'm looking forward to learning from him.

I'm looking in to classes to learn how to tune cars myself, there is a place in Florida that offers a 2 day course. Sounds like fun, I would be able to tune my cars between races to get the best performance based on the the parameters that day. Plus I already own the tool so it makes sense I learn how to use it.

http://www.thetuningschool.com/product/4121ls/
Old 1/9/16, 12:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 642 Likes on 463 Posts
Literally!
Old 1/9/16, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Literally!
I have to say when they came around the corner with my car on that forklift I did have a moment of WTF?

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/9/16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 1/9/16, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

I moved my catch can to the passenger side pcv valve. I used a combo of pcv hoses I pulled of my Shelby and the ecoboost. Turned out nice.

I'm about to expose some snake oil sold to us. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the aftermarket companies selling catch cans for the drivers side and the "dual" catch cans. They have absolutely no value.

The pcv valves are only one way, the drivers side lets air in but not out, the passenger side lets air out but not in. So in other words the drivers side supplies fresh air to the crankcase and the passenger side exhausts the crankcase. I know this because I tested my theory by using a clean hose on both pcv valves And blowing air in to them. I always wondered why my Shelby drivers side catch can didn't have any oil after 7k miles.

This should be a thread by itself, to stop people from wasting money on products that shouldn't be sold.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/9/16 at 06:20 PM.
Old 1/9/16, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I moved my catch can to the passenger side pcv valve. I used a combo of pcv hoses I pulled of my Shelby and the ecoboost. Turned out nice.

I'm about to expose some snake oil sold to us. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the aftermarket companies selling catch cans for the drivers side and the "dual" catch cans. They have absolutely no value.

The pcv valves are only one way, the drivers side lets air in but not out, the passenger side lets air out but not in. So in other words the drivers side supplies fresh air to the crankcase and the passenger side exhausts the crankcase. I know this because I tested my theory by using a clean hose on both pcv valves And blowing air in to them. I always wondered why my Shelby drivers side catch can didn't have any oil after 7k miles.

This should be a thread by itself, to stop people from wasting money on products that shouldn't be sold.
I have two catch cans on my ecoboost and the drivers side is always clean. The passenger side always has gunk in it. The drivers side was a waste of money. Thanks for the info from your experiment.
Old 1/10/16, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DJ2014
I have two catch cans on my ecoboost and the drivers side is always clean. The passenger side always has gunk in it. The drivers side was a waste of money. Thanks for the info from your experiment.
I used the driver side from my Shelby on the ecoboost so luckily it wasn't a waste of money. I'm 99% sure this will apply to any ford engine not just the 5.8/ 3.5, the 3.7 is nearly the same as the 3.5 so I'm sure the driver side will be a waste on it too. It makes sense if you think about it, you can't have a vacuum on both valves or hardly anything will come out. If that was the case the only air introduced into the crankcase would come from blow-by past, which isn't much if your rings are in good shape. What really bothers me is that the companies offering driver side and dual catch cans obviously know these are not needed and sell them anyways.

The drivers side pcv pulls from the air intake tube, the passenger side exhausts air in to the engines intake. There's always more vacuum behind the throttle body than in front of the throttle body, unless you are under boost. What curious is how the ecoboost vents the crankcase while under boost? The passenger side pcv valve is set up on the Eco to only vent while the engines intake is under vacuum. With the Shelby for example the pcv exhausts before the supercharger so it's always under vacuum. I suspect that the driver side pcv for the Eco most likely has a way to bypass if the pressure builds up, which I wasn't able to replicate using my lungs.

Here's a cool video of a properly installed catch can in action. In case anyone questions why these exist, the oil/gas/water vapor pulled from the crankcase is mixed with the air that feeds the engine and it causes the octane to be lowered of the fuel being added. This makes the PCM pull timing to prevent detonation lowering horsepower. This seems to be more of an issue for boosted vehicles which makes sense, there's more air pressure inside the cyclinder so therefore more oppritunity for blow-by.

Check out the vid especially around 1:30. Oil really comes out when they let off the gas, this is when the cars intake is in vacuum.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/10/16 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap