'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/16, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Got the rear bumper painted today, so far this is the best looking piece I've painted so far. Not much thrash in the paint and the clear laid down nice and smooth. I'll still need to cut and buff the bumper but that won't take long.

I still need to paint the mirror cover and I'll be done painting on this car. If only I had remembered I would have painted it with the bumper. I forgot with it literally taped to the stand with the bumper lol. I guess I had tunnel vision
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 1/10/16, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Ecoboost racing
Old 1/10/16, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

NMRA Ecoboost battle

I'm considering going in June to the Ohio event, I might actually be able to win this. Ecoboost mustangs are 4 cyl motors so I should make more power with my mods including a 200 shot of nitrous. This is assuming someone doesn't have the same idea as me and drop a 3.5 engine in a super light race-car, then I'd be in trouble.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/...vents-in-2016/

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/10/16 at 10:27 PM.
Old 1/11/16, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,
I finally got caught up on this thread. I subscribed a few weeks ago.
Awesome project. Can't wait to see how it finally turns out.
I also have a Mustang I want to put one of these newer v6 engines in - particular the turbo models for much the same reason - few, if any, are doing these types of mods. It seems that most are doing the Coyote installs and want as big an engine as they can stuff in there. I've never considered this the best way to go.
I plan is to put one in to a 66 Coupe that is still sitting in my garage waiting for a complete frame-up (so to speak) restomod. It will be a daily driver. Much of the vehicle will be stock look - but will function like a new car on the road (including a coil-over in the back).
Currently I'm studying both the 3.5 and 2.7 turbo model engines for this project, and although I would prefer to have an automatic behind it (due to metroplex traffic), I would settle for a stick (it is currently a stick, and keeps my wife from jumping in it and running around ). Also, given the new engine control modules work with standards, I may have to stay with this option.
Old 1/11/16, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dogden
Hello all,
I finally got caught up on this thread. I subscribed a few weeks ago.
Awesome project. Can't wait to see how it finally turns out.
I also have a Mustang I want to put one of these newer v6 engines in - particular the turbo models for much the same reason - few, if any, are doing these types of mods. It seems that most are doing the Coyote installs and want as big an engine as they can stuff in there. I've never considered this the best way to go.
I plan is to put one in to a 66 Coupe that is still sitting in my garage waiting for a complete frame-up (so to speak) restomod. It will be a daily driver. Much of the vehicle will be stock look - but will function like a new car on the road (including a coil-over in the back).
Currently I'm studying both the 3.5 and 2.7 turbo model engines for this project, and although I would prefer to have an automatic behind it (due to metroplex traffic), I would settle for a stick (it is currently a stick, and keeps my wife from jumping in it and running around ). Also, given the new engine control modules work with standards, I may have to stay with this option.
That's cool, it would make a 66 haul ***. That's the lightest mustang ever made, I think it's around 2400 lbs. If I'm successful with my project with the factory PCM then you could probably have a 66 ecoboost with the F150 automatic transmission. This is assuming Matt is willing to do more of these PCM modifications after mine. I would go with a used 3.5 and auto from a F150, don't buy the Taurus sho motor unless you are ready to do a custom bell housing. There's lots more 3.5s to choose from than 2.7s so you will probably be able to get a better deal on the 3.5. You could use the control pack and the mustang auto transmission from the 3.7 if you could figure out how to control the transmission.
Old 1/11/16, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

The PATS has been removed from the PCM and has already been shipped back. We should receive the PCM this week and be able to start the car this weekend or sooner, assuming we don't get a surprise.

I installed a 170 degree Reische thermostat today, pretty common ecoboost modification when tuned.
Old 1/11/16, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ecostang
That's cool, it would make a 66 haul ***. That's the lightest mustang ever made, I think it's around 2400 lbs. If I'm successful with my project with the factory PCM then you could probably have a 66 ecoboost with the F150 automatic transmission. This is assuming Matt is willing to do more of these PCM modifications after mine. I would go with a used 3.5 and auto from a F150, don't buy the Taurus sho motor unless you are ready to do a custom bell housing. There's lots more 3.5s to choose from than 2.7s so you will probably be able to get a better deal on the 3.5. You could use the control pack and the mustang auto transmission from the 3.7 if you could figure out how to control the transmission.
Correct. The curb weight with the 289 is around 2400 lbs. Its one of the first things I noticed between the current Mustangs and the vintage models. With almost 1000 lbs less, it might make the perfect sleeper.
With regard to the better availability of the 3.5 - definitely noted. Unless I come into some money (viz the $1.5B lottery or something), the slightly used route has been the plan.
Discussion over the control pack is one of primary reasons I'm interested - aside from the keen engineering you and the others have been putting into this project. Like you, I have a stressful job - working in computer software, systems, and databases. So this is a hobby that helps channel some relief. But also one that I can apply some understanding like I do for clients. Up and until the crate engine control pak came available I've been trying to get as much information as possible about the PCM and how all the modules work - a reverse engineering.
I'm not sure if it is all relevant now that the control pak is out to operate the engine. But its fascinating to know how it all works.
Old 1/11/16, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The PATS has been removed from the PCM and has already been shipped back. We should receive the PCM this week and be able to start the car this weekend or sooner, assuming we don't get a surprise.

I installed a 170 degree Reische thermostat today, pretty common ecoboost modification when tuned.
So close!!
Old 1/11/16, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

- aside from the keen engineering you and the others have been putting into this project.
This is funny to me because my last name is Keen

Between Lexiion and Matt there's little they don't know about the electrical systems on the car and the F150 at this point. That electrical isn't fun to me but i had a blast building the mechanical side. I feel that at the end of the project we will be able to offer tips to anyone doing this kind of swap, what it will take to make it work. We are learning along the way but I bet we have some answers after this weekend.

You could buy a low mile ecoboost drop-out motor with trans for $4,500. This includes all accessories, turbos, pipes, wiring harnesses, PCM etc. Probably another $2-3k for everything else you need to make it run (fuel system, driveshaft, air-to-air intercooler, turbo pipes, exhaust). This is assuming you can use the factory PCM. The control pack of course is another $2k if that was necessary. Not bad considering you get motor, trans, and turbos....plus a completely unique mustang.
Old 1/11/16, 10:00 PM

This is funny to me because my last name is Keen

Between Lexiion and Matt there's little they don't know about the electrical systems on the car and the F150 at this point. That electrical isn't fun to me but i had a blast building the mechanical side. I feel that at the end of the project we will be able to offer tips to anyone doing this kind of swap, what it will take to make it work. We are learning along the way but I bet we have some answers after this weekend.

You could buy a low mile ecoboost drop-out motor with trans for $4,500. This includes all accessories, turbos, pipes, wiring harnesses, PCM etc. Probably another $2-3k for everything else you need to make it run (fuel system, driveshaft, air-to-air intercooler, turbo pipes, exhaust). This is assuming you can use the factory PCM. The control pack of course is another $2k if that was necessary. Not bad considering you get motor, trans, and turbos....plus a completely unique mustang.
LOL...that is funny.

yeah, I'm excited about this project - like everyone else I can't wait to see it hit the street. The documentation you've provided here is a great making for an article. Definitely worthy of HotRod or any of the Mustang Mags.
Old 1/11/16, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
So close!!
My 7 year old told me last night he had a dream we were driving it around, I laughed because I've had a couple dreams like that myself. I attached a funny video of him cheering for Boosted GT at the street outlaws event in Oklahoma last year, he's a huge mustang fan. He's just as excited about getting the car running as I am.

Lots of time, brain power, and money are all coming together in the next few weeks!
Attached Files

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/12/16 at 12:08 AM.
Old 1/11/16, 10:28 PM
Cobra Member

LOL...that is funny.

yeah, I'm excited about this project - like everyone else I can't wait to see it hit the street. The documentation you've provided here is a great making for an article. Definitely worthy of HotRod or any of the Mustang Mags.
Thank you! It would be really cool if that happened, I bet they will require that the car start before it could be considered haha

After starting the car my next goal is to get it dialed in with nitrous so I can go to Ohio in June! I'd settle for fastest ecoboost in the country if I can win the ecoboost battle

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/12/16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 1/12/16, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank you! It would be really cool if that happened, I bet they will require that the car start before it could be considered haha

After starting the car my next goal is to get it dialed in with nitrous so I can go to Ohio in June! I'd settle for fastest ecoboost in the country if I can win the ecoboost battle
With the title of fastest Ecoboost. You'll have several magazines writers contacting you. Remember you come with a price. They will be looking to make big bucks on you so you should do the same.
And if that dosent happen....you have one hell of a fan club here!!
Just dont forget the little people here on TMS . Lol
Cant wait till next week end when I open up this thread and I read IT LIVES.
If not this week end there's always the following week end .
Old 1/12/16, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
With the title of fastest Ecoboost. You'll have several magazines writers contacting you. Remember you come with a price. They will be looking to make big bucks on you so you should do the same.
And if that dosent happen....you have one hell of a fan club here!!
Just dont forget the little people here on TMS . Lol
Cant wait till next week end when I open up this thread and I read IT LIVES.
If not this week end there's always the following week end .
To generate $ from this would be a dream come true, but I won't hold my breath . There is quite the fan club here, just over 80k views so far, that's incredible!

So the PCM arrives this Thursday and Lexiion is coming over after work to see if we can get it started. If I'm able to start it I'll should be able to go for a test drive on Saturday or Sunday after buttoning up some small details all over the car. I am waiting on one part to finish the cooling system that might arrive on Friday or Monday. If The kart won't arrive until Monday I can temporarily patch it together for a test drive this weekend.

Speaking of $, to dominate this event I'll have to spend another $6k to get my car ready assuming I don't need a control pack. I've braced the wife for the additional spending and she isn't saying yes but she also didn't say no. That's usually a good sign.

This would include
1. Aluminum driveshaft
2. Bbk throttle body
3. Ecoboost nitrous kit
4. Roll bar
5. Rear drag slicks
6. Front drag skinnies
7. New aftermarket axles (NHRA requirement)
8. Driver restraint system (NHRA requirement)

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/12/16 at 03:52 PM.
Old 1/13/16, 04:46 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Almost done I read this Thread everyday and some times twice
Old 1/13/16, 05:36 AM

Yeah man! I read this thread pretty much every day looking for updates and hoping to see a smoky burnout! I used to be just into the V8 Mustangs until I finally got my first Mustang in 2014 (it is Coyote powered). Since I got my car, I've opened my eyes to other power plants and I like what I see! I would really like to see what the final numbers are on your car (and how they compare to something like a GTR even though it's a different class of car).
Old 1/13/16, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Almost done I read this Thread everyday and some times twice
Hey man thanks for the support! It's awesome to hear people are this interested in the project
Old 1/13/16, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Yeah man! I read this thread pretty much every day looking for updates and hoping to see a smoky burnout! I used to be just into the V8 Mustangs until I finally got my first Mustang in 2014 (it is Coyote powered). Since I got my car, I've opened my eyes to other power plants and I like what I see! I would really like to see what the final numbers are on your car (and how they compare to something like a GTR even though it's a different class of car).
Thanks for your support also!

I'm with you, the thought of owning a V6 mustang before 2010 seemed like a joke to me. Then 2011 came around and I thought, wow that's a powerful V6! Then I traded in my 5.4 v8 truck for the ecoboost and that really opened my eyes to what's possible. I don't miss the v8 sound in my truck, the eco is nice and quiet.

With that said, I love my Shelby in a way that's almost disturbing haha. I don't mention that much on here but I would live in a cardboard box in order to keep the Shelby for the rest of my life. I love the noise, just love it period. Currently I'm having withdrawals because I haven't driven it since November. To me the Shelby is a trophy for all the hard work have have to do, the ecoboost will be a tool I use to have fun....if that makes sense. It doesn't feel right modifying the shelby too much and then beating it up at the track. On the other hand, a car that I got at the junk yard with a bunch of junk yard parts seems like the perfect car to beat on

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/13/16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 1/13/16, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

I was really worried about paint match, although it isn't perfect it's not too bad. That's a relief.

I can't fully install the bumper because I had to buy a couple of rear bumper brackets I wasn't expecting to need. The 2010 were slightly different and didn't fit the new bumper.
Old 1/13/16, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

As I've mentioned before my car was a total loss when I purchased it. The title sales "salvaged" and I have to get it changed to "rebuilt from salvage". In order to get this done there is an inspection by a highway patrol officer. One thing he checks, does the car have sufficient power to operate in traffic. I hope I can get this done in the next week or two, it's not legal to drive on the street until I do. I will do my best to have fun with this cop driving the car, and I will try to get it on film! This could be hilarious.....
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap