Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/15, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Can they do the Glass Roof and rear glass too?
Old 12/9/15, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Can they do the Glass Roof and rear glass too?
The glass roof isn't actually glass, it's polycarbonate. Yes they have the replacement back glass and quarter panel glass too. You can even get them tinted with the black border already applied.
Old 12/9/15, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
The glass roof isn't actually glass, it's polycarbonate. Yes they have the replacement back glass and quarter panel glass too. You can even get them tinted with the black border already applied.
Really?? You sure? I've seen it cracked...sure feels, sounds and looks like glass lol - I have it too.
Old 12/9/15, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Really?? You sure? I've seen it cracked...sure feels, sounds and looks like glass lol - I have it too.
I assumed it was plastic but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/20/15 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12/10/15, 01:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I assumed it was plastic but I could definitely be wrong.
Mine's at the dealer. I have to check when I see it next. I'm almost positive it's glass. In 2009 Ford stated it only added 38 pounds to a non GR car, but obviously that's high up so it raises the center of gravity. If it adds 38 pounds, even considering the cross member that is beefed up to house it, you'd think it's most likely glass.

Like I said though, we had a member here whose car was delivered with it cracked in the corner. It looked like a shattered phone screen. That's not to say some super thick PC couldn't crack that way, but again I'm pretty certain it's glass. It's cold to the touch and resonates like glass, not plastic. Go ahead and give it a knock and clean it with some glass cleaner lol
Old 12/10/15, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Ya I think your right. I remembered reading that it was a plastic roof panel and it was shatter proof but I can't find that information anywhere now.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/22/15 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12/20/15, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

I painted the front bumper while lexiion worked on the wiring today. I still need to paint the rear bumper which I will do next week. Basically all we have left is to finish the turbo piping and to finish the electrical before the car will start. Both are fairly complicated but still doable.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/20/15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12/21/15, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lol...Thank god you posted
I was going into withdrawal with this thread being dormant.
This is about the hotest thread right now for me.
Yes I do have a problem and yes I am addicted.
There I feel better!
The only thing that would be better is being there the day you fire up that ecoboost.
That you must film and post!!
Old 12/21/15, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
Lol...Thank god you posted
I was going into withdrawal with this thread being dormant.
This is about the hotest thread right now for me.
Yes I do have a problem and yes I am addicted.
There I feel better!
The only thing that would be better is being there the day you fire up that ecoboost.
That you must film and post!!
Lol, you crack me up! Ya I've been trying to work on the car as much as possible, there just hasn't been much time lately. I'm looking forward to learning how to weld aluminum and fabricate the turbo pipes but I need a couple full days to tackle it. It's hard to learn something and be productive only working an hour or so at a time in the evenings.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/22/15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12/22/15, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Starting to come together, the gt500 bumper looks nice on my V6. I won't be leaving the snake on the front grille, I'm actually going to put a V6 running horse in its place.

The fuse box from the F150 basically disseapears behind the front grille, I was worried it would be ugly.
Old 12/22/15, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've seen some people modify the stock 13-14 grilles to fit the GT500's grille opening. It does require some cutting, but it's doable. At this point, I don't see it being a problem for you - FYI lol
Old 12/22/15, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen some people modify the stock 13-14 grilles to fit the GT500's grille opening. It does require some cutting, but it's doable. At this point, I don't see it being a problem for you - FYI lol
That's cool, I didn't know that was possible. I was planning to do something similar to what's in the picture. The problem is that the horse tail hangs off the edge and also doesn't sit flush because the grille has a recess in the shape of the cobra. I was planning to fix this by taking a 3D scan of the cobra emblem and 3D scan the horse emblem to make an adapter plate using a 3D printer. Basically this adapter will fit the recessed cobra but then transitions to the horse shape....leaving a flat surface that the horse emblem to stick to. The horse emblem is actually a grille emblem from a boss, which is the same as the fender emblem for the V6.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/22/15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12/22/15, 10:52 PM
Cobra Member

These are the emblems for the fenders, they are the one used on the Shelby GT conversions done by Shelby American. I like then because they look different without being incorrect....it is powered by ford!

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/22/15 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12/22/15, 11:04 PM
Cobra Member

Pic of Shelby GT emblem

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/23/15 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12/23/15, 12:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's cool, I didn't know that was possible. I was planning to do something similar to what's in the picture. The problem is that the horse tail hangs off the edge and also doesn't sit flush because the grille has a recess in the shape of the cobra. I was planning to fix this by taking a 3D scan of the cobra emblem and 3D scan the horse emblem to make an adapter plate using a 3D printer. Basically this adapter will fit the recessed cobra but then transitions to the horse shape....leaving a flat surface that the horse emblem to stick to. The horse emblem is actually a grille emblem from a boss, which is the same as the fender emblem for the V6.
I can picture what you're trying to do, and yes I've seen people just put the horse over the blank snake area. IMO, that doesn't look finished. I'd rather cut the surround a bit to fit the 13-14 grille myself, but I like where you're going with your plan. In a build like this, every small detail matters.
Old 12/23/15, 12:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Another option is the no-emblem Seibon carbon fiber grilles...
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-photo559.jpg  
Old 12/23/15, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, I was impressed by your work, but this:

taking a 3D scan of the cobra emblem and 3D scan the horse emblem to make an adapter plate using a 3D printer

That's a lot of effort and resource to just make the emblem fit into your grille. Respect, man! You surely are a true Mustang warrior to me
Old 12/23/15, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

I can picture what you're trying to do, and yes I've seen people just put the horse over the blank snake area. IMO, that doesn't look finished. I'd rather cut the surround a bit to fit the 13-14 grille myself, but I like where you're going with your plan. In a build like this, every small detail matters.
I agree, it's doesn't look finished. The part I will make should look like a factory piece. We have a designer and a 3D printer at work to make the part, should be simple. If I can't pull it off for some reason I may use that grille you sent the pic of.

If it turns out nice maybe I should make a couple extras in case other people need them.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/23/15 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12/23/15, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Wow, I was impressed by your work, but this:

taking a 3D scan of the cobra emblem and 3D scan the horse emblem to make an adapter plate using a 3D printer

That's a lot of effort and resource to just make the emblem fit into your grille. Respect, man! You surely are a true Mustang warrior to me
Thanks man! Customizing and solving problems is fun for me, especially when I'm lucky enough to have resources at work to help me.
Old 12/23/15, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next level awesome. Respect!

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap