Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/16, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Should be fun. At the least, report back to us what his impressions are!
Old 1/14/16, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Got the PCM and the MPVI this morning!
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 1/14/16, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I've also been lurking on this thread for quite some time now! Lol. Good luck starting it and getting the first test ride in. Can't wait to see some videos!
Old 1/14/16, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Progress was made but the car didn't start tonight, I feel like we are close though. Matt was able to log on to Lexiions computer and work on the PCM using the MPVI. Between Lexiion and Matt they worked through some issues we were having. There's something causing a problem with the security system, everything operates as it should except we aren't getting any power to the fuel pump relay and the starter relay. Other relays in the fuse box click when you turn the key, the lights click off while the key is being turned as usual, but it seems that the PCM is purposely not allowing just the fuel and starter relays to operate which seems like a security feature. Matt was in a different time zone and had to quit after an hour or so, but we will work in it again tomorrow.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/14/16 at 10:01 PM.
Old 1/14/16, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by lime05
I've also been lurking on this thread for quite some time now! Lol. Good luck starting it and getting the first test ride in. Can't wait to see some videos!
Welcome!
Old 1/15/16, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Progress was made but the car didn't start tonight, I feel like we are close though. Matt was able to log on to Lexiions computer and work on the PCM using the MPVI. Between Lexiion and Matt they worked through some issues we were having. There's something causing a problem with the security system, everything operates as it should except we aren't getting any power to the fuel pump relay and the starter relay. Other relays in the fuse box click when you turn the key, the lights click off while the key is being turned as usual, but it seems that the PCM is purposely not allowing just the fuel and starter relays to operate which seems like a security feature. Matt was in a different time zone and had to quit after an hour or so, but we will work in it again tomorrow.
We will modify the scanner to see exactly what the PCM is looking for. Maybe there is something else we need to turn off to get it crank. We will update later today on the progress...

LEXiiON
Old 1/15/16, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck guys! We can't wait to hear this beast run.
Old 1/16/16, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Lexiion and Matt both worked on the PCM yesterday for a couple hours. They found a few more issues and got them cleared up but the car still isn't starting. I have faith they will figure it out, it's just a matter of time. Matt is trying to look at the control pack programming today to see what we may have forgotten to turn off. I think Lexiion is coming over tomorrow to add Matts changes to see if that works.

Funny because I'm watching a 2 part episode of gas monkey where they are putting a hellcat motor in a 67 Dodge Dart. They went through the same issues as us and even had hp tuners work on it. They ended up using Diablo sport tuners to get it started though. Turned out they needed the factory BCM with the keyless entry module installed, it started after that.
Old 1/16/16, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Funny because I'm watching a 2 part episode of gas monkey where they are putting a hellcat motor in a 67 Dodge Dart. They went through the same issues as us and even had hp tuners work on it. They ended up using Diablo sport tuners to get it started though. Turned out they needed the factory BCM with the keyless entry module installed, it started after that.
Well, if we have to add the BCM, we will do that..

LEXiiON
Old 1/16/16, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

And I already bought one! I feel like it won't need it though, the control pack doesn't.
Old 1/16/16, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Had to cut the mid pipes shorter to get the exhaust tips flush with the bumper. Took me 3 hrs!!!! As soon as I moved the passenger side the exhaust pipe started to touch the rubber intercooler tubing. I had to reroute the intercooler tubing, it's all good again.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 1/17/16, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Lexiion may have figured it out what's been wrong. He discovered today that the transmission "park" signal is sent to the cluster where it's probably converted to a signal sent over CAN to the PCM. The mustang cluster doesn't do this so the PCM isn't getting the proper signal. The tuner can probably turn this off or we can trick the PCM if necessary. I've got my fingers crossed!
Old 1/18/16, 05:21 AM

Lexiion may have figured it out what's been wrong. He discovered today that the transmission "park" signal is sent to the cluster where it's probably converted to a signal sent over CAN to the PCM. The mustang cluster doesn't do this so the PCM isn't getting the proper signal. The tuner can probably turn this off or we can trick the PCM if necessary. I've got my fingers crossed!
Cliffhanger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/18/16, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davenport3500@googlemail.
Cliffhanger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol, no doubt! Lexiion and Matt were both busy this weekend so I just worked on getting some small details wrapped up. The suspense is killing me
Old 1/18/16, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The frustrating part, is that we told them over and over that the BCM has to be installed. They (gas monkey) said that Dodge told them it was not required, so they wouldnt let us put it in.

So they call Diablosport, Diablo comes and installs the BCM, and walaa... So frustrating.
Old 1/18/16, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
On the subject of the TR sensor.

The more I look at the calibration, it appears that just turning off the Auto trans switch is going to fix everything right off hand. Even installing the TR sensor and leaving the auto trans switch enabled, will cause torque limiting, I may be able to tune that out thought. Then just disable all the related p-codes.

I'm going to dig into it more as I have time today.

-Matt
Old 1/18/16, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
The frustrating part, is that we told them over and over that the BCM has to be installed. They (gas monkey) said that Dodge told them it was not required, so they wouldnt let us put it in.

So they call Diablosport, Diablo comes and installs the BCM, and walaa... So frustrating.
Welcome Matt! Thank you so much for helping with this project. I have faith you will get it figured out and you guys will be the undisputed tuning heros for this project. To bad I don't have a show on discovery channel!

That's lame that they didn't listen to you guys in the first place, they didn't show that part
Old 1/18/16, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

I've been chatting with a guy on another forum about the ecoboost swap. He's an ex-ford employee that worked there over 30 years in the powertrain division. Very knowledgable and has already completed at least one ecoboost swap. He pointed out to us that the brake must be depressed in order to start the car, our brake wiring isn't currently hooked up so that's an easily solved issue. Then we have the "park" sensor too that will need modification, or maybe we wire that up to the clutch pedal.

He said that hptuners was the right choice and he knows we can make this work, I won't need the control pack. Walt says that there will be tuning issues around the fact that the engine management was designed around the automatic transmission. So simply deleting the auto trans software would not be enough to make the engine run properly. More work will need to be done after its running to dial in the performance. Fun fun!

Here's a link, some interesting info
http://www.ranger-forums.com/new-ide...t-swap-134964/

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/18/16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 1/18/16, 08:41 PM

"He said that hptuners was the right choice and he knows we can make this work, I won't need the control pack. Walt says that there will be tuning issues around the fact that the engine management was designed around the automatic transmission. So simply deleting the auto trans software would not be enough to make the engine run properly. More work will need to be done after its running to dial in the performance. Fun fun!"

Interesting...makes me wonder how different the coding is for the standard trans. I even wonder if there was a team developing for each (manual vs auto). With this information, it appears that the coding is looking for some variables from an automatic trans module that have to be cancelled or set to a default.
Old 1/18/16, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been chatting with a guy on another forum about the ecoboost swap. He's an ex-ford employee that worked there over 30 years in the powertrain division. Very knowledgable and has already completed at least one ecoboost swap. He pointed out to us that the brake must be depressed in order to start the car, our brake wiring isn't currently hooked up so that's an easily solved issue. Then we have the "park" sensor too that will need modification, or maybe we wire that up to the clutch pedal.

He said that hptuners was the right choice and he knows we can make this work, I won't need the control pack. Walt says that there will be tuning issues around the fact that the engine management was designed around the automatic transmission. So simply deleting the auto trans software would not be enough to make the engine run properly. More work will need to be done after its running to dial in the performance. Fun fun!

Here's a link, some interesting info
http://www.ranger-forums.com/new-ide...t-swap-134964/
Well it runs now... A little bit custom but it runs. I guess Stephen will post more like videos and stuff

Last edited by LEXiiON; 1/18/16 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap