Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

This is why shocks matter.....

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/11, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I have had my Koni Yellows sitting in my garage for about 10 months now. I am going to install them in the spring (3-4 months out). I am the definition of lazy. I am the 99%.
99% LMAO! So i have the Ultra-lites what adjustable shocks preferred would go good with them?
Old 11/25/11, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your issue is simple. The two that work aren't really around. Koni's are still on backorder, and D-specs are scarce as hen's teeth too (see, Tokico's aftermarket stuff is built is built in a city in Japan you might have heard of called Fukushima...)

In a perfect world IMHO the answer is Koni Sport. The D-specs aren't bad, but the Koni's are a bit better. However at this point getting either is pretty much impossible. Which means you have to either wait (and that could be a long, long wait), or look at other options like the STR.T's and Bilstein's.
Old 11/25/11, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Your issue is simple. The two that work aren't really around. Koni's are still on backorder, and D-specs are scarce as hen's teeth too (see, Tokico's aftermarket stuff is built is built in a city in Japan you might have heard of called Fukushima...)

In a perfect world IMHO the answer is Koni Sport. The D-specs aren't bad, but the Koni's are a bit better. However at this point getting either is pretty much impossible. Which means you have to either wait (and that could be a long, long wait), or look at other options like the STR.T's and Bilstein's.
Oh wow i had no clue they were built in that city! Its understandable why they aren't in the market. I do not think i'll ever put my car on a track, so as long as the ride is good i'll go with the STR.T's. Thanks for the response.
Old 12/2/11, 02:53 PM
GT Member

So I lucked out getting D-specs prior to Fukushima. I can't complain about them - awesome quality and it's crazy how much difference it really makes. The ultra lights aren't bad. After they settle the car ends up nice n' low.

After install in August:

Thanksgiviing Day: About 1/4" lower

Candy Apple is nice in the sunlight!
Old 12/6/11, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

or look at other options like the STR.T's and Bilstein's.
Taking money out of the equation, do you think the Bilstein is a better performing damper than the STR.T's?
Old 12/7/11, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi Ivan 5.0,
I used to have bilstein HD in my '02 Carrera, now I have in my Brembo GT this set up: KONI STRT + Steeda Sport. I don't think that Bilstein is better, they are almost =. And I think the KONI set up recommended by Sam Strano is a great set up for this car, probably that is how it should came out from FORD from the begining. There is a great difference on the driving feel after you install it.
Old 12/7/11, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I sell Bilstein, and if I thought they were really that much better, I'd recommend them. I have no issue recommending a part that cost more, if it's really worth the cost. Remember, I'm a Koni Sport fan!

If you want Bilstein's, I've got 'em (well I can get them, I don't keep any in the building because I never really sell them much). But the prices are good and I deliver them in a timely manner under any normal circumstance.

All that said, I think the STR.T's are better value.
Old 12/16/11, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

^^^

Solved my dilemma by getting these

Old 12/23/11, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
^^^

You'll love them man. I run half a turn up front and one full turn in rear from full soft and it rides awesome. Im on Sportlines. For highway trips, I go full soft, and it rides like a Caddy
Old 12/23/11, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
^^^

Nice!

Ivan, do you drive 29 through Falls Church towards Merrifield in the morning? I think I pass you going the other direction almost every day.
Old 12/23/11, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Nice!

Ivan, do you drive 29 through Falls Church towards Merrifield in the morning? I think I pass you going the other direction almost every day.
Nope - that's not me; I metro to work!
Old 1/31/13, 11:24 PM
V6 Member

Well it's been a year since the last post in this thread. Any change in recommendations? Wasn't sure if something else was developed or models changed?
Thanks, Mike
Old 2/1/13, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

been a year since I installed my steeda sports and koni yellows. Still absolutely love them though in hindsight, I probbaly would have gotten the STR.T's since I only daily drive mine. I think the adjustable shocks/struts are not necessary for that and the STRT's would give just as good a ride.
Old 2/1/13, 04:46 PM
Banned

Without reading the entire thread.... Would my Ford K's be decent paired with Koni's or will I need to switch to a non-progressive? I absolutely would love to stay lowered.
Old 2/1/13, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I can tell you the Koni's are a very good all around shock and strut! Lowered or not these are great s/s and I haven't seen or read anything in the past few years to tell me any different. Life time warranty and competitively priced they are worth every penny. I have ran them on stock springs, pro springs and now the sport springs I am sold on these puppies!
Old 2/2/13, 12:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

My recommendation hasn't changed if you are looking for a nice damper and not a coil-over setup.

I sell a lot of STR.T's, but I prefer Sports. Bottom line, if you ran your Sports @ full soft, then STR.T's would make you happy, damping wise. But most folks with Sports, while having the option to do just that, tend to run more than full soft which is more than STR.T's have to give. And to be honest, one of the differences between the Sports and the STR.T is the former are made in Holland, the latter are valved by and warrantied by Koni, but build in South America for Koni. The warranty service is excellent, and it's been needed from time to time on the STR.T, where it's super rare on Sports.

Yeah, Sports are more money. Remember that if you have 2011+ (not GT500) that if you get STR.T's you need to buy at least $100 in new strut mounts to install them because as of now STR.T's do not come in a 2011+ specific fit where Sports do. And to be blunt, rebound damping is something drivers like more of than the average bear, to a point. You can go too far but knowing what you like best and what is too far is something you can only tell my trying. You can't do that with a non-adjustable damper.

FWIW.
Old 2/2/13, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I would have hated the STR.T. I hated my Sports at full soft. I always ran 1.5-2 turns up front and 1-1.5 turns in the back under normal daily driving conditions. When I was out to tear up some back roads, or The Dragon, I'd turn it up a little more front and rear.
Old 2/2/13, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run BMR springs with Koni Str.t's and I abosolutly love the ride. My car is a DD with an occasional ride on the track. Street manners are great and the ride isn't too harsh...rides like its supposed to being that its a sports car. I've taken long trips (12hrs+) and its a comfy ride and with it being lowered my mpgs went up a little. I recommend this setup for anyone that DD's their car and sees a few track days
Old 2/2/13, 08:12 AM
Banned

My recommendation hasn't changed if you are looking for a nice damper and not a coil-over setup.

I sell a lot of STR.T's, but I prefer Sports. Bottom line, if you ran your Sports @ full soft, then STR.T's would make you happy, damping wise. But most folks with Sports, while having the option to do just that, tend to run more than full soft which is more than STR.T's have to give. And to be honest, one of the differences between the Sports and the STR.T is the former are made in Holland, the latter are valved by and warrantied by Koni, but build in South America for Koni. The warranty service is excellent, and it's been needed from time to time on the STR.T, where it's super rare on Sports.

Yeah, Sports are more money. Remember that if you have 2011+ (not GT500) that if you get STR.T's you need to buy at least $100 in new strut mounts to install them because as of now STR.T's do not come in a 2011+ specific fit where Sports do. And to be blunt, rebound damping is something drivers like more of than the average bear, to a point. You can go too far but knowing what you like best and what is too far is something you can only tell my trying. You can't do that with a non-adjustable damper.

FWIW.

Sam, I'm really glad you're out there to help us all. My plan from the very beginning was to swap to Konis, but I had a bit of curiousity as to how the Brembo valved dampers would soak up the K-Springs, and now that I know, while I don't mind the ride in day to day, I still plan on changing to Koni's.

I did however notice that Steeda does have an extreme sport spring, which intrigues me, but nobody talks about them. They of course are the lowest of the low in their offerings. I was considering a switch to those or the Ultra-Lites, as from a quick internet search, they aren't progressive like my current K-Springs which might not be as harsh on a hard bump.

I don't mind my K-Springs, or at least the feel, but I understand that they also lack a little, but seeing that I'm not a professional, I can't tell how much of that is simply in the fact that the car needs better damping.

Do you have experience with either of those setups? I'm just trying to understand all options. I have a convertible, and it will never see a road course or drag strip.
Old 2/6/13, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Progressive springs are bad, if they are actually dynamically progressive. None of the ones listed above are. This is one of those things someone takes from the internet then misunderstands and somehow all springs that ride bad get blamed for that because they might be progressive. Are there some that suck? You bet. Is it because they are progressive? Maybe. Trouble it it paints the springs that are progressive in some point but not dynamically, as crap, which isn't accurate or fair.

K springs are ok, but not great. It's a rate issue and where the change over in rates occurs. .

Steeda Extreme Sports are looks springs. I"d sooner put you on Ultralites. The lower the spring, the less working travel there is.

Quick Reply: This is why shocks matter.....