Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What's the BFD with IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/08, 06:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
Pretty much all front engine rear drive cars have a ring an pinion gear assembly regardless if they are solid rear axle or independent rear axle.

So technically you could change the gears...

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but where exactly are the gears located on an independent rear axle
Old 10/19/08, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
It's good to not your hopes up too much so that IF/WHEN it doesn't happen, whatever it may be, we won't be too disappointed and can carry on still being Ford/Mustang loyalists without it hurting us too much. Just let the Mustang do what it needs to do and it will be right for the times. It always has been. I don't see Ford doing anything to hurt its pending 50th Anniversary date. Even if we have to see a Mustang II to get there, we will get there, and beyond it, with a little hope and patience and understanding. The Mustang is the greatest thing to happen to the automotive world (my opinion) and I doubt Ford thinks much less of it than I do. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to save the heritage and keep advancing at the same time. Have faith. I do.

Nicely well put indeed, Kory. As I also have faith that both Ford, and the Mustang will continue to survive for many more years, yet to come.
Old 10/19/08, 07:49 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Nicely well put indeed, Kory. As I also have faith that both Ford, and the Mustang will continue to survive for many more years, yet to come.
Yep, just as the Challenger goes the way of the dinosaur after a single production run...just like the original.
Old 10/19/08, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Yep, just as the Challenger goes the way of the dinosaur after a single production run...just like the original.
You don't think GM will keep the Challenger?

Local Dodge dealer has a nice R/T on the lot. Just under $37K MSRP. Dealer has a $10K ADM.
Apparently they've sold four so far, in this 'terrible' economy. Go figure.
Old 10/19/08, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by RCSignals
You don't think GM will keep the Challenger?

Local Dodge dealer has a nice R/T on the lot. Just under $37K MSRP. Dealer has a $10K ADM.
Apparently they've sold four so far, in this 'terrible' economy. Go figure.

If GM does indeed purchase Chrysler, I just can't see GM supporting 2 muscle car models in today's economic market. This was part of the reason for the F-body's demise in 2002. ie Camaro/Firebird !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/19/08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10/19/08, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The same place they are in the solid rear axle..

The first two pictures are Cobra IRS rear ends, the third picture is a Ford solid rear axle.

The ring and pinion gears are in the large center housing...

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but where exactly are the gears located on an independent rear axle
Attached Thumbnails What's the BFD with IRS?-47828d1215704443-explorer-8-8-rear-end-mustang-003.jpg   What's the BFD with IRS?-2hx4rhc.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 10/19/08, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Without a letup? C'mon man the 74-78 Mustang II sucked! It may have been popular for the time but give me a 74-78 F- body any day over the Mustang II.

Who would you rather be like? 70s Burt Reynolds or 70s Charlie's Angles?

Besides that sad period I'd agree it has been the bang for buck champ, but the competition is going to be tough this time around.

Hey now, I resent that lol. For I owned a 78 Mustang II/King Cobra. Although there was no comparison to it's muscle car roots. It was never the less, a fun car to enjoy during that period.
Old 10/19/08, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Black GT500
The same place they are in the solid rear axle..

The first two pictures are Cobra IRS rear ends, the third picture is a Ford solid rear axle.

The ring and pinion gears are in the large center housing...

Yes indeed, the gears are set up exactly in the same housing location, as the SRA is. In the meantime, thanks once again for setting the record straight, and especially for posting the pics. As you've definitely been very helpful.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/20/08 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10/19/08, 10:01 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If GM does indeed purchase Chrysler, I just can't see GM supporting 2 muscle car models in today's economic market. This was part of the reason for the F-body's demise in 2002. ie Camaro/Firebird !
No, of course they won't. It'll be bye-bye Challenger.

Could make the current Chally a good investment, though. Not only is it a relatively rare car to begin with, but once Chrysler folds, its intrinsic value will shoot up quickly, I expect.

The only concern would be where one would get it serviced. The CCS in these cars make it tough for people to do more than basic work - and finding a mechanic with the right diagnostic systems down the road will, ahem, be rather "challenging."

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 10/19/08 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10/20/08, 04:42 AM

Could make the current Chally a good investment, though. Not only is it a relatively rare car to begin with, but once Chrysler folds, its intrinsic value will shoot up quickly, I expect.

The only concern would be where one would get it serviced. The CCS in these cars make it tough for people to do more than basic work - and finding a mechanic with the right diagnostic systems down the road will, ahem, be rather "challenging."
I would imagine GM would more than likely take over servicing the Challenger, providing of course they don't end up destroying Mopar's part bins, or tooling molds.
Old 10/20/08, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey now, I resent that lol. For I owned a 78 Mustang II/King Cobra. Although there was no comparison to it's muscle car roots. It was never the less, a fun car to enjoy during that period.
My black/gold '76 Cobra II was a great looker, but the snappy-loose suspension was outright scary. Had the Cologne 2.8 with custom exhaust (Sounded great! Best exhaust note until my '06 GT.) but got regularly dusted by rock-stock 280Zs (straight line AND twisties).

Like I said: great looker, but not a runner...
Old 10/20/08, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. For I just didn't quite understand how gears could be changed without an actual rear axle involved. So I just assumed they couldn't be swapped.

At any rate, I now stand corrected.
Glad to have enlightened you...
Old 10/21/08, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

The Challenger is really not all that different that the Charger, 300 and Magnum that it is based from. I'm sure most parts are the same, except body panels. The most recent news I've herd of the merger day it's best a 50/50 shot.
Old 10/21/08, 09:06 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

they should keep the LX line and make police cars but drop the hemi and use the LS
Old 10/21/08, 09:17 AM
GT Member

I have to disagree with those who've said the a SRA is better on everyday roads. I don't think anyone has mentioned this: it depends on where you drive! The roads where I live are subject to frost, salt and snow plows. They are rough, uneven, pockmarked and bumpy. Up here, the real world ride and handling advantages of an IRS are plainly evident to anyone with even a little bit of driving awareness. Just my noob $.02

For the record, I would rather drive 70's Farrah Fawcett than 70's Burt Reynolds
Old 10/21/08, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kevindust

I have to disagree with those who've said the a SRA is better on everyday roads. I don't think anyone has mentioned this: it depends on where you drive! The roads where I live are subject to frost, salt and snow plows. They are rough, uneven, pockmarked and bumpy. Up here, the real world ride and handling advantages of an IRS are plainly evident to anyone with even a little bit of driving awareness. Just my noob $.02

For the record, I would rather drive 70's Farrah Fawcett than 70's Burt Reynolds
I dont recall anyone saying that the SRA was better than the IRS, just that it is good enough. It was 30 degrees here this morning and has been that way for over a week before sunrise. Average change of temperature has been 35-40 degrees daily. Our roads suck too. Dont drive like an idiot and you will be ok. Otherwise dont you think all those truck owners would be complaining?

Last edited by FordBlueHeart; 10/21/08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10/21/08, 10:46 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

of course it is better on uneven roads i dont think anyone would say otherwise. the point is SRA is not that bad on strip or track. IRS is not the gamechanger, the gamechanger this time will be 5.0 and price

Last edited by MBK; 10/21/08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10/21/08, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MBK
they should keep the LX line and make police cars but drop the hemi and use the LS
From what I have read/ heard is that GM's main objective in getting Chrysler is basically to keep the Jeep brand and either dissolve or sell off the remaining Dodge/Chrysler brands to Nissan/Renault whom have also expressed interest in Chrysler. Keep in mind Nissan's next pickups will be based heavy on the new Dodge Ram and Dakota.
Old 10/21/08, 04:58 PM

Then too was the old 3.8 V6 "good enough," just like the SRA is. Only if you drive like an idiot on real world streets would a big, powerful V8, or IRS, make sense. So perhaps Ford, to increase affordability and save fools from themselves, should cease to offer the death-dealing 4.6, never mind the genocidal 5.4. Indeed, from an "idiotic" standpoint of street driving, a big powerful V8 makes much less sense than the increased stability and handling offered by an IRS. Perhaps Ford should quit offering disk brakes lest people try to foolishly stop to quickly?

It amazes me how the SRA is defended basically on the basis of low standards and mediocrity, i.e., it's good enough on flat, smooth roads if not driven in some performance-oriented manner. If the same standards and rationale were applied to the Stang's V8, we'd still have the flathead motor wheezing out a "good enough" 80 hp or so. In a sense, the upcoming 5.0, as good as that motor's likely to be, will be less a gamechanger than a bit more of the same -- bigger motor for more simple straight line acceleration -- same game as always.

Developing a fully fleshed performance envelope for the Mustang, now THAT would be a game changer, not that Ford hasn't toyed with that a bit in the past to various degrees of success (SVO, previous gen SVT Cobra, Boss 302).

It's high time that American car companies strive for genuine world class greatness at all levels rather than some provincial level of "good enough." And people wonder why, with such condescending attitudes and approaches, the big three, errr two and counting, are in such horrible straights.

Last edited by rhumb; 10/21/08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10/21/08, 06:15 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

i think they strive for putting in v8s in affordable cars that being said the 5.0 is of greater importance than an IRS. the bullitt with an updated SRA is more track capable than an RT with an IRS so lets not act like an IRS is end all for handling. an IRS is way better on the uneven streets no doubt but some people talk like the SRA cant turn for s--t when it can. h--l even know it all clarkson said it can when he drove the roush, the one he thought had an IRS, that had an upgraded SRA. so come on now, the IRS is good and better all around than the SRA, and its coming, but most will agree the 5.0 should come first

Last edited by MBK; 10/21/08 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the BFD with IRS?