Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your '10-'14 today?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/16, 11:59 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Looks like fun Gabe...good driving.

Nathan...I wouldn't waste my time on that little track at the Street Machine Show...ya can't even get close to stretching them out. Take her up to BIR for one of the driving schools and really learn your car and your abilities. Just because it's a full-on race track doesn't mean you have to go any faster than your nerve or wallet will allow! You're there to have fun and learn performance driving and your limits...or the cars. I garantee you will not find the limits of the car if you're a complete novice! Gary Curtis is the school manager...give him a call!

John
I know it's just a small track. I wish BIR was closer. Would love to check it out. I'm just too **** hesitant to try it out.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I know it's just a small track. I wish BIR was closer. Would love to check it out. I'm just too **** hesitant to try it out.

You're on the north side of town correct? It should only be about a 2 hour drive to BIR. I've made the trip many times. Super easy. An option is to rent one of the schools cars but it's not the same as driving your own. Put the protective film on the car, go out and have fun at whatever pace your skill level dictates. The instructors will not let you get into trouble. Do as they tell you and have fun!

John
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Patrick, you're gonna love it. Don't blame me if you get hooked!

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Autocrossing on a cold, wet, mostly straight track, doesn't sound fun to me at all
Umm, did you watch the video?
There are lots of turns.

Looks like fun Gabe...good driving.

John
Thanks John.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Haha I won't...I actually had a blast riding with my buddy at Thunderhill. I'm definitely taking my car out next time. I'm even considering going back to coils, depending on how fast I get.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
There are lots of turns.
Umm, have you seen any of dmichaels videos? Now those are REAL turns. Going around little slaloms in a parking lot pales in comparison
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Umm, have you seen any of dmichaels videos? Now those are REAL turns. Going around little slaloms in a parking lot pales in comparison

...those are real race courses too, not some weekend hero hangouts that evaporate at the end of the day!

John
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 02:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

There are lots of turns.

Thanks John.
...those are real race courses too, not some weekend hero hangouts that evaporate at the end of the day!

John
Parking lot or not, real track or not - kudos to all of you who track. I can't bring myself to do it.

Marilyn remains a garage queen for me.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 03:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You're on the north side of town correct? It should only be about a 2 hour drive to BIR. I've made the trip many times. Super easy. An option is to rent one of the schools cars but it's not the same as driving your own. Put the protective film on the car, go out and have fun at whatever pace your skill level dictates. The instructors will not let you get into trouble. Do as they tell you and have fun!

John
Ya, but its still about 2.5 hours for me. I'll keep it in mind. Would definitely be something fun to do down the road.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Parking lot or not, real track or not - kudos to all of you who track. I can't bring myself to do it.

Marilyn remains a garage queen for me.

Oh, I'm no dissing people who autocross. It could be fun, just not the kind of fun I'm looking for!

You and your Marilyn...it could probably use a good thrashing on to remind it who pays the bills!
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 03:11 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
You and your Marilyn...it could probably use a good thrashing on to remind it who pays the bills!
Burton's a playa, playa.
That car's been paid off for years. He already showed it who's boss! lol
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are these toys ever truly paid for completely?

John
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
When you actually do ANY of this stuff, that's when you should start talking.
Autocrossing teaches the driver a lot about car control, about lines to take through turns/slalom, and many other things that can then be used on larger courses.

Those larger courses come with much higher entrance fees, something I can't afford right now, and something I'm not willing to do since there's a higher chance of damage to the car from spinning out or hitting other cars, since you're on track with other cars at the same time.

In autocross you're out there by yourself so if you spin out you just stop and get going again when it's safe to do so.

John
Wow ... hero hangouts?

You guys talk like you're some big-time race car drivers and autocrossing is something for kids with pedal cars.

Do it, then talk.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think John was saying autocross is a real road course...

But yeah, it was scary as hell riding in my buddy's car in the second highest experience group. They had no problem riding each others' ***** in those corners, way closer than I'd get in the rain!! But they also know each other (some of them at least) and can predict how one another are going to react - still, that doesn't account for something on the car failing, or the weather.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/9/16, 07:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I think John was saying autocross is a real road course...

But yeah, it was scary as hell riding in my buddy's car in the second highest experience group. They had no problem riding each others' ***** in those corners, way closer than I'd get in the rain!! But they also know each other (some of them at least) and can predict how one another are going to react - still, that doesn't account for something on the car failing, or the weather.
Like such

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Last edited by ford20; 5/9/16 at 08:36 PM.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 06:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow Gabe. Did I not tell you it looked like fun? Did I not say it looked like you did a good job driving? The answer to both is yes I did. I think I may have also mentioned it’s not the challenge I’m looking for but never said others shouldn’t pursue it for any reason and never once did I poo poo it in any way. The reason I didn’t is exactly as you pointed out, it fits a price point that opens doors to those who for whatever reason don’t want to spend a butt load of cash for track time and don’t wish to risk their asset to a Jersey wall or another car. That all makes good sense to me. Am I wrong in any of that?

…and the tracks do evaporate at the end of the day or weekend to return to their primary duty as a parking lot! Am I wrong here?

For what its worth, the term “Weekend Hero” or “Weekend Warrior” is one that is widely used across all styles of auto racing. It is not in the least a condescending term. It is a descriptor for those who are not professional racers (Those who earn their living at the trade) and primarily race on weekends. I do believe it fits in this regard. For what it’s worth, when we were campaigning outlaw dirt late models 3-4 nights a week we were not making a living at it. At the time guys like Billy Moyer Jr., Scott Bloomquist and several more make a living at the trade and are by definition professionals. Nobody dissed you.

“Try it, then talk” ??? I’ve spent more nights and days at race shops and race tracks over 53 YEARS than you’ve likely been alive. I’ve also done some KT100 Kart racing on roadcourses. Want a real quick education in reaction times, picking sight lines, braking marks, how to control adrenalin and much more? Strap on a Kart for a few laps and let me know what you think.

John
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 09:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't need to take minor turns in a wet parking lot, not leaving 3rd gear, to know that it doesn't sound very fun.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
That is how I felt last night trying to get the **** link to work. Lets try this.

http://vid579.photobucket.com/albums...psewwqcn2d.mp4

Last edited by ford20; 5/10/16 at 09:54 AM.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 10:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
That is how I felt last night trying to get the **** link to work. Lets try this.

http://vid579.photobucket.com/albums...psewwqcn2d.mp4

epic!! Whose car is that?? Take that, Gabe!!!
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/10/16, 03:15 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Wow Gabe. Did I not tell you it looked like fun? Did I not say it looked like you did a good job driving? The answer to both is yes I did. I think I may have also mentioned it’s not the challenge I’m looking for but never said others shouldn’t pursue it for any reason and never once did I poo poo it in any way. The reason I didn’t is exactly as you pointed out, it fits a price point that opens doors to those who for whatever reason don’t want to spend a butt load of cash for track time and don’t wish to risk their asset to a Jersey wall or another car. That all makes good sense to me. Am I wrong in any of that?
“Try it, then talk” ??? I’ve spent more nights and days at race shops and race tracks over 53 YEARS than you’ve likely been alive. I’ve also done some KT100 Kart racing on roadcourses. Want a real quick education in reaction times, picking sight lines, braking marks, how to control adrenalin and much more? Strap on a Kart for a few laps and let me know what you think.
John
John, I think Gabe misread your post.
Gabe, John wasn't bashing your autocross course or your skills. I think you may have read it incorrectly or too fast. (I do that from time to time. lol)
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your '10-'14 today?