Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your '10-'14 today?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/16, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
today June 2 2016

My car has a tad over 70K and hasn't had brake work. I have American muscle 18" deep dish black bullets

I took it in for the death bag replacement and brakes on May 31 at 7am

well they ran into a problem with new rotors and pads on the front because the calipers hit the wheels

these are wheels American muscle advertises for my year mustang... I haven't talked with them about it yet, I think maybe ford is using a different part that the one used in 2012..

long story short, they machined the rotors and shaved off some of the calipers

waiting on courtesy ride to take me to pick it up, not sure what to think about all this yet
Old 6/2/16, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by mhazelwd
My car has a tad over 70K and hasn't had brake work. I have American muscle 18" deep dish black bullets

I took it in for the death bag replacement and brakes on May 31 at 7am

well they ran into a problem with new rotors and pads on the front because the calipers hit the wheels

these are wheels American muscle advertises for my year mustang... I haven't talked with them about it yet, I think maybe ford is using a different part that the one used in 2012..

long story short, they machined the rotors and shaved off some of the calipers

waiting on courtesy ride to take me to pick it up, not sure what to think about all this yet
You didn't have a problem with the car but somehow the dealership noticed it?
Did they install the new rotors?
Old 6/3/16, 07:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
You didn't have a problem with the car but somehow the dealership noticed it?
Did they install the new rotors?
I asked them to check the brakes. I was told pads and rotors were needed.

All is well that ends well. I think they did a great job considering they went out of the way to fix the fitment issue.

The new rotors are wider and taller than the originals which explain why the aftermarket deep dish bullets hit the calipers.

I am very pleased with my new brakes.
Old 6/3/16, 08:32 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhazelwd
I asked them to check the brakes. I was told pads and rotors were needed.

All is well that ends well. I think they did a great job considering they went out of the way to fix the fitment issue.

The new rotors are wider and taller than the originals which explain why the aftermarket deep dish bullets hit the calipers.

I am very pleased with my new brakes.
I don't see how a taller rotor would fit at all since the caliper is in a fixed place mounted by the hub, unless they shaved the inside of the caliper? I would be a little annoyed having to cut new rotors and having less meat on there from day 1.

On the positive side, at least they are working well and you are happy!
Old 6/3/16, 08:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by esir_spd
I don't see how a taller rotor would fit at all since the caliper is in a fixed place mounted by the hub, unless they shaved the inside of the caliper? I would be a little annoyed having to cut new rotors and having less meat on there from day 1.

On the positive side, at least they are working well and you are happy!
They machined the two front calipers to take just a little off the diameter/circumference. It looks good and it works. The alternative would be to buy new wheels and tires. Had I gone to 19" wheels instead of 18"s I don't think there would have been an issue.

On a related note, I bought these wheels and tires balanced and nitrogen filled from American Muscle. They really look good.

When I put them on, the front calipers scraped off the balancing weights that American Muscle had put on the front wheels. I took it to Discount Tire and they balanced the front wheels for me for free even though I bought them elsewhere.

Last edited by mhazelwd; 6/3/16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 6/3/16, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

I swapped out my exhaust today... Had the GT500 mufflers and switched to the Solo Performance mufflers. I'll take a drive tomorrow to really test them out, but I definitely like the deeper sound so far!

Old 6/4/16, 05:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I swapped out my exhaust today... Had the GT500 mufflers and switched to the Solo Performance mufflers. I'll take a drive tomorrow to really test them out, but I definitely like the deeper sound so far!

Which ones did you get and any chance you can make a video with start-up, idle, rev, and accel from a stop?

I've been looking at the Solo axle-back kit
Old 6/4/16, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Which ones did you get and any chance you can make a video with start-up, idle, rev, and accel from a stop?

I've been looking at the Solo axle-back kit
I got the axle back kit (this one: http://solo-performance.com/axle-bac...ord-mustang-gt ). I can try doing a video, no promises on how good it'll be though... LOL! I am still pretty stock (I still have my resonators and all I have to the engine is a CAI and tune), so yours is going to sound a bit different, but it'll give you an idea anyway...

I had been looking at them for a while too and finally decided to go for it since the price was good (got them on sale from their Ebay store)... I liked my GT500 setup, but wanted a little more noise and a nicer set of tips.. So far, it is what I was looking for. I will hopefully go out today and take her out for a spin to hear all the differences! And try to do a video...
Old 6/4/16, 09:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I gave a listen on their web site Jay.....very throaty. The 4 1/2" tips look evil. Hope to hear yours.
Old 6/4/16, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I gave a listen on their web site Jay.....very throaty. The 4 1/2" tips look evil. Hope to hear yours.
The videos on their website are what convinced me to go for it! And I love the tips! The cool thing is that they sell other tips (including quads), so if I ever decide to go for the GT500 rear diffuser, all I have to do is buy the tips! No need to change out the exhaust again! Which is good, cause twice is enough (although, this time was a LOT easier than last time, since I knew what I was doing)! LOL!
Old 6/4/16, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got around to waxing my 2010 after already clay barring and polishing. I used meguiar's liquid wax and a rotary/random whatchamacallit machine. Followed the Meguiar directions and man does it work! I was procrastinating on this because the liquid polish I had applied is a bear to get off unless you really know what you're doing. I feared the same issues with wax, buhe wax produced no problems. Apply with machine, rub out by hand, finish with lambswool pad covered with a microfiber bonnet.

Photos tomorrow when the sun comes out!
Old 6/4/16, 11:13 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Looks good!
Old 6/4/16, 11:14 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Took the Green Machine out this morning. Great morning for a cruise. I might just take her out again tonight!
Old 6/4/16, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Mine's been in the garage for the past 3 days
Rain all weekend too
Old 6/4/16, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Looks good!
Thanks!

Made a video! Actually turned out half decent!

Also went for a cruise... Notes that I took away: It's pretty quiet at idle (like at stop lights/signs), but once you accelerate at all, it sounds great! When you put your foot down it sounds really great! I went on the freeway and it didn't sound like it had any drone, but I had the top down, so I'll have to try again when I have the top up. But, I could definitely still hear the exhaust, even in 6th (not loud, just could tell it was there compared to my GT500's which were basically quiet in 6th). I also felt like I had a bit more *oompf* in 6th compared to the GT500's, but I think that may have been in my head/ears... LOL!

Overall, I like them! It's exactly what I was looking for... Not stupid loud, yet louder than the GT500's I had... The only thing I wish was that there was a little bit more "popping" on decel, but that's a *small* nit pick... Other than that, I am happy!
Old 6/4/16, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waxed my 2010

Anyway, like I was saying I was relieved at how easy it was to wax and get a good look with Meguiar's Liquid wax and my Porter Coleman (?) buffer. The concern was that Meguiar's polish has to be applied lightly and removed quickly or you can get into real trouble. This time I just followed the directions on the bottle and ... here we are:

I still have less than 9,000 miles on it and I imagine it will have under 10,000 when I sell it in a year or two.
Old 6/4/16, 10:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by robjh22
Anyway, like I was saying I was relieved at how easy it was to wax and get a good look with Meguiar's Liquid wax and my Porter Coleman (?) buffer. The concern was that Meguiar's polish has to be applied lightly and removed quickly or you can get into real trouble. This time I just followed the directions on the bottle and ... here we are:

I still have less than 9,000 miles on it and I imagine it will have under 10,000 when I sell it in a year or two.

Looking stellar!
Old 6/5/16, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks!

Made a video! Actually turned out half decent!

Solo Exhaust - YouTube

Also went for a cruise... Notes that I took away: It's pretty quiet at idle (like at stop lights/signs), but once you accelerate at all, it sounds great! When you put your foot down it sounds really great! I went on the freeway and it didn't sound like it had any drone, but I had the top down, so I'll have to try again when I have the top up. But, I could definitely still hear the exhaust, even in 6th (not loud, just could tell it was there compared to my GT500's which were basically quiet in 6th). I also felt like I had a bit more *oompf* in 6th compared to the GT500's, but I think that may have been in my head/ears... LOL!

Overall, I like them! It's exactly what I was looking for... Not stupid loud, yet louder than the GT500's I had... The only thing I wish was that there was a little bit more "popping" on decel, but that's a *small* nit pick... Other than that, I am happy!

Came out great, sounds awesome.
I'm afraid that I would have the same problem I had with the Borla S-Types on my car though ... with the supercharger they became too loud
Old 6/5/16, 06:36 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Yesterday I took her out for a summer cruise...and she let me take her top down. Best thing about it...there was no complaining.

I'm always amazed at how much fun it is to drive this car.
Old 6/5/16, 06:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Thanks!

They sound great Jay. Sometimes I wish my GT500's were louder, especially at cruising speeds with the top down. But friends who drive behind me say they can hear them very well. I'm satisfied with the sound in 2nd and 3rd.

Maybe I'll consider a swap in the future, but the next big mod will be different wheels and a square set of 275/40/19's. Not this year though.

You did good.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your '10-'14 today?