Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your '10-'14 today?

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/16, 02:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I don't, but supposedly our cars will pull timing automatically...I've read variations of that though. Figured what the hey, let's give it a try and see.
I have read that too. Just wondering because that is a big difference in octane rating.
I assume you drove the car already,..so it must be fine.
Old 4/8/16, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I don't, but supposedly our cars will pull timing automatically...I've read variations of that though. Figured what the hey, let's give it a try and see.
They ADD timing with good gas, pull timing with bad gas.

One of my datalog runs the car added 2.5 degrees of timing cuz of the good gas I apparently had in the tank
Old 4/8/16, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
They ADD timing with good gas, pull timing with bad gas.

One of my datalog runs the car added 2.5 degrees of timing cuz of the good gas I apparently had in the tank
Gotcha. So either way, it does adjust for octane regardless, correct?
Old 4/8/16, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Gabe is correct, timing advance is increased when the computer "Knows" [ knock sensors don't go off ] that the engine has higher octane fuel. There is a definite limit to just how much advance the computer will provide since more isn't always better. Every engine has an optimum amount of advance and increasing it beyond that point even with the highest octane fuel will result in a power loss and possible engine damage. In a perfect world we wouldn't need any advance, but combustion dosen't take place instantaneously so we need to light the fire before TDC on the compression stroke in order to get the most complete burn possible. The earlier we light the fire, the more time and distance the piston has to move up the cylinder before going back down on the power stroke. A lot has been learned about combustion chamber shapes in the last couple of decades and most modern engines require a lot less advance than older designs did. I am an old guy and I remember when small block Chevys and big block Chryslers used total mechanical advance in the high 30's and low 40's under load. At cruise [ no appreciable load ] low 50's was normal with the vacuum advance engaged.
Old 4/8/16, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes it adds in timing, but I thought 2.5 to 3 degrees of timing was max that it would add no matter if you obtained that on 93 or 101. After that it's just for safety and piece of mind.
Old 4/8/16, 08:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Today I had the 19" wheels with nittos taken off in favor of the shiny summer wheels.
It was so hot here today I was sweating even with the top down. over 26 degrees celsius out this week.
Old 4/8/16, 10:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Yes it adds in timing, but I thought 2.5 to 3 degrees of timing was max that it would add no matter if you obtained that on 93 or 101. After that it's just for safety and piece of mind.
The engine runs much smoother, exhaust is quieter and less raspy (leading me to believe the fuel is burning more completely) and it does feel a little more responsive now. That's about all I can say lol
Old 4/9/16, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Got it aligned and gave it a good bath and a fresh coat of paint sealer. Waiting until Memorial Day weekend to do the full detail for summer.
Old 4/10/16, 02:01 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also did this for fun...doesn't make a huge difference, but it's noticeable. And strangely, the exhaust is quieter/less raspy. I actually smell the fumes less too, so I'm assuming it burns more completely than 91. Anyways, I had to drive 20 miles just to get to the station, so I won't be doing that again, but I filled the tank, so I'll have some fun this weekend...
Is that in California? Kind of ironic that they have those fuel options readily available with all the smog restrictions they enforce.
Old 4/10/16, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took a 300 hundred mile road trip with the wife through the mountains yesterday and today I am hoping to put in my Raptor shift light.
Old 4/10/16, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
Is that in California? Kind of ironic that they have those fuel options readily available with all the smog restrictions they enforce.
Yes it is, and I agree. There's only like 2 pumps within a 50mi radius that have it at the pump. There's a place near my house that has race gas on pump but they'll only fill containers...not cars.
Old 4/11/16, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Due to this horribly sh--ty weather, my car hasn't seen the light of day in over a week. I drove it more in MARCH than April so far. Wow.
Old 4/11/16, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Due to this horribly sh--ty weather, my car hasn't seen the light of day in over a week. I drove it more in MARCH than April so far. Wow.
I got to drive mine last week a couple times and once on Saturday (it was beautiful on Saturday until the late afternoon, even got to take my bike out for its first ride of the season), but then we had rain Saturday night and yesterday and bad weather is coming again next weekend (possibly more snow)! Man, the weather has been teasing for like a couple months now! A nice weekend here and there, and then bam, rain and/or snow!
Old 4/12/16, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Switched back to my stock Pirellis from my Blizzaks. Can't wait to get new wheels, hopefully by June.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-dsc_0137.jpg  
Old 4/13/16, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I got to drive mine last week a couple times and once on Saturday (it was beautiful on Saturday until the late afternoon, even got to take my bike out for its first ride of the season), but then we had rain Saturday night and yesterday and bad weather is coming again next weekend (possibly more snow)! Man, the weather has been teasing for like a couple months now! A nice weekend here and there, and then bam, rain and/or snow!

Yeah we're actually expected to have 70+ degrees and no rain this weekend!! I got the car out last night for dinner with friends. Always nice to get out during the week after having a really stressful day at work.
Old 4/13/16, 06:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Unfortunately just dropped it off at Ford to have my rodent damage repaired. RODENT DAMAGE!!!!! What's that saying, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all? Yeah that's it.
Old 4/13/16, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Dropped my mustang off to Ford on Monday to look at the transmission and A/C. They had rebuilt the transmission (MT-82) already. Still making a grinding noise at idle from the rear of the transmission. They said my Evaporator is leaking and needs to be replaced (figures since it is getting hot in FL). Ford wanted $1500 but my mechanic will do it for $840. I was debating on trading in the mustang, they gave me an F150 rental and I am really liking it. I use to have a truck and wouldn't mind one again. These things are so expensive! A new F150 2.7eco 4x4 crew cab is $34k after incentives. Payment would be like 650/month, so I am staying with my Mustang for good while.
Old 4/13/16, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

ugh.... trucks are so obnoxious. Especially to daily drive. I don't understand why ANYONE would want to drive a truck unless they absolutely needed it for the work they do.
Old 4/13/16, 07:33 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Unfortunately just dropped it off at Ford to have my rodent damage repaired. RODENT DAMAGE!!!!! What's that saying, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all? Yeah that's it.
I know your pain. Little ****s can burn in hell.
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
ugh.... trucks are so obnoxious. Especially to daily drive. I don't understand why ANYONE would want to drive a truck unless they absolutely needed it for the work they do.
Wouldn't call all of them obnoxious, but I could never daily drive one. Drove my dad's (2012 F-150 ecoboost) on easter and it's a huge pain to try and take any corner. You turn the steering wheel and 5 seconds later the truck starts to turn as well. Just doesn't do it for me.
Old 4/13/16, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Can't wait for the return of the Ranger. Wifey gets a new car first since the Focus is too small for us, then I get a crew cab Ranger to DD if they bring it back. Otherwise I might do a Bronco or the new Ridgeline, which really would be all the truck I need.

Side note, yesterday my buddy came by with his new GT350 and I popped my s550 cherry in it hahaha. I had never driven an s550 until he let me drive it. Can you imagine? The clutch was absolutely horrendous. He said it should break in some, but he already has a Steeda clutch spring on order. Other than that...he has the Tech Package so it has the Magneride. Holy crap that is the best riding car I've ever been in. Ever. I cringed going over bumps that would send my car bouncing all over the place. Instead the car surprised me by going right over them with the grace of an S-Class Mercedes. That being said, my car definitely feels faster, at least to 5k rpm, which is as high as I felt comfortable pushing someone else's brand new car. Let me tell you...THAT SOUND. OMFG THAT SOUND. It haunts me. I'm not used to having rear mufflers so it's already strange to have that surround sound effect, but THAT SOUND. It's unbelievable. It reminds me of the 03-04 Cobra with Borla Stingers. His car barks, while mine roars. Two very different very insane sounding cars. I love the s550 interior, even his non-Recaro seats. They're more grippy than my all leather Recaros.

Final conclusion - if Ford offered a glass roof on one, I'd sell my car in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I was very happy to get back into my car which has more torque and a real clutch. But...THAT SOUND!!!!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your '10-'14 today?