2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Storage or daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/12 | 12:05 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

if people want to spend $40,000 on a mustang not to drive because they Think it will be valued in the future I ask this simple question.. why not spend $40,000 on a mustang that is currently a classic? It has a far better chance of being worth something. Why buy a modern car?? buy a nice classic mach 1 or something.
Old 5/6/12 | 07:39 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Flagstang
if people want to spend $40,000 on a mustang not to drive because they Think it will be valued in the future I ask this simple question.. why not spend $40,000 on a mustang that is currently a classic? It has a far better chance of being worth something. Why buy a modern car?? buy a nice classic mach 1 or something.
Flag... No disrespect buddy, but the answer is very simple. I/we/you do things that make me/us/you happy. Period. What you may find that floats your boat, may not float mine. Vice versa. You find joy in driving your stang everyday and that's great. Do you find joy in spending 15 hours detailing and buffing a vehicle? Prolly not. But guess what it makes me happy. Verrrry happy. Therapeutic actually. Your logic about spending 40k on something and questioning folks decision about it is like asking crucifying someone for spending 8k on a vacation to Mexico instead of on a whipple charger.

May make no sense to you, but makes perfect sense to others.

Again, my point is this... You do what makes YOU happy, and I/we do what makes us happy. We just respect each others decision to do so.
Old 5/6/12 | 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Flag... No disrespect buddy, but the answer is very simple. I/we/you do things that make me/us/you happy. Period. What you may find that floats your boat, may not float mine. Vice versa. You find joy in driving your stang everyday and that's great. Do you find joy in spending 15 hours detailing and buffing a vehicle? Prolly not. But guess what it makes me happy. Verrrry happy. Therapeutic actually. Your logic about spending 40k on something and questioning folks decision about it is like asking crucifying someone for spending 8k on a vacation to Mexico instead of on a whipple charger.

May make no sense to you, but makes perfect sense to others.

Again, my point is this... You do what makes YOU happy, and I/we do what makes us happy. We just respect each others decision to do so.
Exactly!!!!
Old 5/6/12 | 10:55 AM
Cobra R Member

The problem most of us working stiffs have is that a lot of driving (commuting, in traffic, over gravelly surfaces) is unrewarding, and a car like a GT Mustang is a bit overkill. By driving my Mustang when I WANT to I enjoy it more per mile and avoid fretting that it has bird crap on it or is dirty. As we all know, these cars run better when clean.

That said, after driving my Mustang every day for the past 9 (my DD was in the shop), I curiously don't want to drive anything else.
Old 5/6/12 | 11:00 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

im just trying to point out these cars will not be valued as the current classics. Saving them for later is a mistake since modern cars do not go up in value. Not even lambos or astons go up in value. I understand like to keep the cars showroom and thats cool. I also liek to keep my daily show room since I am a mustang lover. I also like to have a reason to wax and buff for 10 hours.
Old 5/6/12 | 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Has nothing to with saving it hoping it will be a classic, just want to own a car for years that stays in mint condition...but classic or not, which older cars get the most looks...the one in mint condition or the one worn out? When and if i ever decide to trade in my car, I will get top dollar as i always have for my "fun" car as they are mint when i take them in. They need no reconditioning at all.
Old 5/6/12 | 11:49 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

thats the fun of owning a sports car. something breaks and you get to replace the part with a fun go fast part.
Old 5/6/12 | 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Unfortunately, some of us don't have the money for that!!!
Old 5/6/12 | 04:15 PM
I Have No Life

Red face

Originally Posted by Flagstang
im just trying to point out these cars will not be valued as the current classics. Saving them for later is a mistake since modern cars do not go up in value. Not even lambos or astons go up in value. I understand like to keep the cars showroom and thats cool. I also liek to keep my daily show room since I am a mustang lover. I also like to have a reason to wax and buff for 10 hours.
Np.. I agree with your statement. Yes, I am not saving/keeping my car pristine for the purpose of hoping that the value stays up for worth or goes up in value. Not at all. I'm keeping it pristine, miles low, etc just because it makes me happy... That's all. In the end we all love our stangs.... Just difft ways to show it.
Old 5/7/12 | 04:59 PM
FR500 Member

Just popped 12k and got her in september. And thats because it was in the shop for a month! Love driving and honestly i would drive all day if i could. **** you gas prices....
Old 5/7/12 | 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I see both sides on this one, but my angle is that I am just lazy. I love to do the detailing but hate to ruin it all by driving it in rain & muck the next day. I don't like detailing ALL the time....
Old 5/17/12 | 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Flagstang is exactly right, these cars aren't in the same class as the 60's and early 70's Mustangs, or any of the muscle cars from that era. They're just not. These mustangs (the S197) will stand up well compared to previous ones and possibly the next Mustang (depending entirely upon how appealing it is), but 40 years from now they won't be what a '68 fastback is now. In fact, about the only Mustang that has a chance to be that is the '13 GT500 because of the engine (can't imagine Ford will ever put a 650hp powerplant in a car again after 2014). Even that won't be as valued. Hell, 40 years from now we're all going to be driving around on corn anyway, which means the engines we're running on now will be antiques and useless.

I understand the want to preserve it, but...geez, what a waste. It's not nearly as pretty sitting in your driveway or garage as it is running on the streets. It just isn't.
40 years from now I'll likely be fertilizing daisys and I'd be surprised if theres not a lot of reliance on natural gas powered vehicles and better batteried hybrids.

Nothing I'd like better than a '69 Boss 429, though.

But I'm not so sure about these being less deisrable, although certainly more affordable for a couple of reasons including sheer numbers, in the future than our dream classic Pony/Muscle. They're the finest Mustangs made to date, all the way around and as we all know there're big changes coming in a couple years us retro-living in the past guys probably won't be totally fond of.

Also, the world economy is teetering. Things could easily go much further south, depending on Greece, Italy, Spain and whether there's a change in this administration and how we handle our own. Not to mention potential mega geo political issues. These things could very well lead to further major increases in fuel prices and result in the end of the rebirth of the affordable muscle cars.

Still, I'm not saving mine for later. Going to continue to drive it like there's no tomorrow...dam, I love this car.

btw...FR3 adj suspension pack arrives today.

Last edited by dafreeze; 5/17/12 at 06:11 AM.
Old 5/17/12 | 10:53 AM
I Have No Life

^ awesome... What's in the fr3 pack?
Old 5/18/12 | 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks...pardon the brief derail...trucking company doesn't come my way Tue/Thur, will be here late this morning.
  • Adjustable Struts/Shocks M-18000-C
  • Lowering Springs M-5300-P
  • Sway bars M-5490-A
  • Jounce Stops M-5570-A
  • Strut Tower Brace M-20201-S197
  • Front Strut Mount Upgrade M-18183-C
  • All components are designed to work together as a package
  • Lowers car approximately 1-inch
  • Single adjustment Struts/Shocks deliver two-way response in compression and rebound
  • Struts/Shocks are adjustable and manufactured by Dynamic Suspensions. (the same company that makes Struts/Shocks for the Mustang race car)
Shocks/Struts are put together by Tokico and sound a lot like D-specs. Includes mounting hdwr for sways, will order new for the rest from Tousley once I inspect what's actually w/the package (all hardware listed in shop manual as one time use).

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...fr3-mgtaa.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-time-use.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by dafreeze; 5/18/12 at 05:27 AM.
Old 5/18/12 | 10:57 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

thats sexy
Old 5/18/12 | 11:18 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Drive that shiz
Old 5/18/12 | 07:50 PM
GT Member

Jesus, my 5.0 is two days old and I'm at nearly 300 miles. DRIVE IT.
Old 5/18/12 | 07:53 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

gooood boy
Old 5/18/12 | 08:58 PM
GT Member

Lol, unless I have to be somewhere by a certain time, I take the long way.