2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Storage or daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/12 | 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I'm kinda scared to add to this thread......................but mine spends more time tucked up in the garage attached to its CTEK battery tender

Mine was bought purely for weekend fun.......going to car shows and meets. I intend to keep mine for as long as possible....not as an investment, more of a family heirloom!

Certainly these beasts are not cheap to run over here (we're at the equivilent of a $9/gallon here in the UK) so many of us use them as weekend toys.......I guess the same way many treat the classic Mustangs.

So, mine's like a fine wine.....to be enjoyed every now and again
Well at least you have a decent excuse. Gas prices
Old 4/29/12 | 01:40 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

is my love of jeremy clarkson wrong? in my group of car guys thats the role I play.
Old 4/29/12 | 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
is my love of jeremy clarkson wrong? in my group of car guys thats the role I play.
Yes.
Old 4/29/12 | 01:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I always wondered if they made more car guys like me..
Old 4/29/12 | 01:46 AM
GTR Member

I always wondered if they made more car guys like me..
Outrageous, opinionated wazzocks?

Only joking......I like JC......but these days he seems to be controversial just for the sake of winding up the PC brigade.

His humour was more subtle in the good old days when he wrote for Performance Car, the mag that sort of evolved (see what I did there!) into Evo magazine
Old 4/29/12 | 01:51 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I have five hammers in my tool box. All for different levels of fixing.
Old 4/29/12 | 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Do you drive your mustang everyday or once in awhile? My 5.0 is 6 months old and has 400 miles on her. I drive her maybe once every two weeks otherwise she's in the garage. Just curious to see how many of you daily drive yours. I couldn't do it every day, I'd be too afraid of a scratch or a rock chip or something.
Mine is a daily driver, I garage keep her but I hate those dam chips that come with having a daily driver
Old 4/29/12 | 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

daily driver, i think i average 50-70 miles day
Old 4/29/12 | 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bud4au01
I have a 2011 that I purchased April 2011....I have 3700 miles. I didn't buy it to drive everyday..i bought it to drive on weekends and to car shows and such. I have a daily driver that i put about 40k plus on a year. It's the great thing about living in the USA..you can spend your money the way you want to.
Originally Posted by GTCS 2k9

Yeah, there are a lot of Mustang owners that use their cars as daily drivers and some that use their Stangs for recreation only. I'm like you in that I drive mine for pleasure only. Having said that, I do take mine out a few times a week in the summer. I love driving it in the evenings after work to get a coffee with my wife and also participate in the Mustang club events. For me, the enjoyment would get lost in a daily commute, fighting traffic etc. To each his own.. Everybody is different and at the end of the day we're all Mustang enthusiasts no matter how many miles we put on our cars.
+1 Mine is not a DD and has never seen seen rain or snow. I bought it for recreation only, take it to car shows and meets. I take it out every night after work for a spirited drive so she doesn't get spoiled. Use it all the time on weekends weather permitting. Didn't buy it for an investment. I always wanted a second car/toy since I was a kid. Yes it's garaged kept and in the winter the ctek charger goes on as well as the car cover. Yes it has about 10 coats of BWD on it and clean it when it doesn't really need to be, to me it's a hobby. To each his own..... don't understand some of the hostility on this thread. I have 4200 miles on mine after 20 months of ownership.
Attached Thumbnails Storage or daily driver-image-4068153111.jpg  

Last edited by Big Papi's Pony; 4/29/12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 4/29/12 | 09:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

finally
Lol
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
So, mine's like a fine wine.....to be enjoyed every now and again
Nice ride, great shot
I have five hammers in my tool box. All for different levels of fixing.

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
+1 Mine is not a DD and has never seen seen rain or snow.
That SG is so friggin sexy
Old 4/29/12 | 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Do you drive your mustang everyday or once in awhile? My 5.0 is 6 months old and has 400 miles on her. I drive her maybe once every two weeks otherwise she's in the garage. , I'd be too afraid of a scratch or a rock chip or something.
You are an exact mirror image of me. Mine is at 500 km I'm deathly afraid of exterior scratches/chips/curbing/ 5.0 rear emblem scratches, glass roof scratches, shoe tip bumping into speaker chrome ring exiting &entering, center console scratches from zippers
Old 4/29/12 | 12:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Some of you...geez, makes me wonder why you spent the money on the car. Seems like a colossal waste. :-/
Old 4/29/12 | 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Some of you...geez, makes me wonder why you spent the money on the car. Seems like a colossal waste. :-/
Well let me tell you something... Cars are a colossal waste period. Expense not ever an investment. Even the cars that eventually appreciate in value would still not be a great investment over time vs. other methods of investment.

I have had three s197s now and I always seem to average about 5k a year. I have a company vehicle as does my wife. I won't get it out if it's raining or looks like rain but sometimes I will still get caught out in bad weather.. I think it's really up to the individual in how they want to use their cars. I like my cars to look like new so if it doesn't look nice out I don't get it out because I really don't want to spend the time to clean it back up.
If this was my only vehicle I probably wouldn't own a mustang. Not practical for everyday use to me.
Old 4/29/12 | 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by going for broke

Well let me tell you something... Cars are a colossal waste period. Expense not ever an investment. Even the cars that eventually appreciate in value would still not be a great investment over time vs. other methods of investment.

I have had three s197s now and I always seem to average about 5k a year. I have a company vehicle as does my wife. I won't get it out if it's raining or looks like rain but sometimes I will still get caught out in bad weather.. I think it's really up to the individual in how they want to use their cars. I like my cars to look like new so if it doesn't look nice out I don't get it out because I really don't want to spend the time to clean it back up.
If this was my only vehicle I probably wouldn't own a mustang. Not practical for everyday use to me.
You have got to be as boring as dripping water. Driving company vehicles!! Looking at cars as investments!!! If you have more than one friend, you've got to be blackmailing him.
Old 4/29/12 | 02:27 PM
GT Member

i don't treat my 1990 model pickup truck that rough..lol
Old 4/29/12 | 03:06 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

thats like buying a mircowave and not using it because you are going to get the inside dirty. A mustang is a wonderful car made to be used. Its made with paint that wont burn off in the rain and wipers to remove rain from your vision. It has a heater if it gets cold and AC if it gets hot. Some are made with all season tires to handle the rain and scary snow and ice.

I am sure we would all like the movie bullitt if he had sunday drove his stang.

I find the statement " its never seen rain or weather" to mean its been wasted and thats a high crime in my book!!

The most valued cars in the world were race driven to the edge and back and thats why they are so loved. No because some one had them in a garage or lack of paint chips. I am sure when we are all dead looking down from heaven or whatever we will be sad we didnt find just one more hour for snow donuts, some burnouts and even alittle ding that we got to over night parts from japan to fix slash upgrade.

I find when I break something its a chance to buy a fun go fast part.
Old 4/29/12 | 03:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Precisely...so why not drive it and enjoy it while you have it? You spend $40k on a car and watch it lose money in the garage...then sell it to the next guy who gets a virtually brand new car after you've taken the hit on the depreciation and got...what? A garage decoration? Cars get dirty. They wash. They get chips and dings. They can be fixed, most of the time to the point that the chip or ding is unnoticeable. But hey, at least you can feel good about the next guy who owns it getting a car in showroom condition and paying $10k less than you did. Just me, but I'd rather get $15k worth of enjoyment than $10k worth of garage decoration.
Old 4/29/12 | 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

11 months 12k miles and a trip to Florida when I first got it. Enjoying my 5.0.
Old 4/29/12 | 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

You have got to be as boring as dripping water. Driving company vehicles!! Looking at cars as investments!!! If you have more than one friend, you've got to be blackmailing him.
Uhh I said that cars aren't good investments. Nothing but an expense.

What fun is it to drive a car like the mustang in the pouring rain, or in six inches of snow?? If you had another competent vehicle you wouldn't drive it on bad weather days?
If its nice I drive it, if it's not it sits in the garage. I don't care what it's worth in three years.. It's going to be darn near perfect as long as I can keep it that way.
Old 4/29/12 | 05:06 PM
Banned

Uhh I said that cars aren't good investments. Nothing but an expense.

What fun is it to drive a car like the mustang in the pouring rain, or in six inches of snow?? If you had another competent vehicle you wouldn't drive it on bad weather days?
If its nice I drive it, if it's not it sits in the garage. I don't care what it's worth in three years.. It's going to be darn near perfect as long as I can keep it that way.
I know what you said. The thought of a vehicle purchase being an investment or not shouldn't even have entered your brain.

Quick Reply: Storage or daily driver