2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/11, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did Ford introduce this pos transmission into a car that demands consistent performance? Makes me sick... Sad sad sad.
Old 9/15/11, 12:04 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Why did Ford introduce this pos transmission into a car that demands consistent performance? Makes me sick... Sad sad sad.
What I'm saying is maybe not a bad trans. Maybe just a few design issues.
Old 9/15/11, 12:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple: the trans. isn't as bad as the hype has made it seem.
Old 9/15/11, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's the right transmission for the car. the 6060 is overkill in this application. The higher rpm operation of the coyote engine combined with the close ratio gearing from the mt82 is the perfect ift.

There's just some design or QC issues that need addressed. I'm not frustrated that my car has some problems, I'm just frustrated how the problems are being handled.
Old 9/15/11, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jlmounce

It's the right transmission for the car. the 6060 is overkill in this application. The higher rpm operation of the coyote engine combined with the close ratio gearing from the mt82 is the perfect ift.

There's just some design or QC issues that need addressed. I'm not frustrated that my car has some problems, I'm just frustrated how the problems are being handled.
That all comes down to your dealer. You guys have to know how to handle these guys. I know all the do's and don't do's. There is also a ford direct number you can call and those guys get moving when they get the message. Seems like Deysha does a pretty good job at getting things handled also.
Old 9/15/11, 01:23 PM

.....Ford will laugh at me when I try to have the transmission replaced under warranty. I'm then out several thousand more for a replacement transmission. This is not acceptable and also one of the reasons we have things in this country like the magnuson vs moss act. It's sole purpose is to safe-guard consumers from companies that don't make good on the rights indemnified within the warranty contract.
Doesn't quite work that way. They need to prove that the changes you made are the cause of the failure. And if that is indeed the case, than they are justified.
Old 9/15/11, 01:27 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Goathog02
Doesn't quite work that way. They need to prove that the changes you made are the cause of the failure. And if that is indeed the case, than they are justified.
Sounds good in theory. Yes, they have to prove that the changes caused it. But they also have billions of dollars and a team of lawyers a mile long to argue their position. Better hope you've got deep pockets and a lot of time on your hands if they want to push the issue, because lawyers ain't cheap.
Old 9/15/11, 06:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Goathog02
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Sounds good in theory. Yes, they have to prove that the changes caused it. But they also have billions of dollars and a team of lawyers a mile long to argue their position. Better hope you've got deep pockets and a lot of time on your hands if they want to push the issue, because lawyers ain't cheap.
Both correct. Looks great on paper, but it's not so easy in practice.
Old 9/15/11, 11:39 PM
V6 Member

I'll tell you why...because when I posted in HIS thread that I had no issues with 2 cars I was attacked by him ad his few followers like there was no tomorrow. That was even after I told him that some folks have issues!

He was the person insulting people! I just made a simple comment. After that comment, I was deemed a troublemaker.

remember...

integrity first?
Excellence in all we do?
Service before self?

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
why are people that have issues insulted just because they are grateful that one annoying person brought the issue up?
Old 9/16/11, 01:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
That childish comment was uncalled for... 8 post huh... and already your being an ***
You may feel that way but for a guy who claims he has Enginning degree(jmatreo). You think he would know what it takes to bring car into production. From problems that can come up to built it too after the buyer gets it you think he would know how hard it is. Goto AFM see all the BS over there let him get away with it more as using him for internet traffic for there ads.

Did he really bring anything to light then tell me what is it? The only thing he is bring to light that he is one who doing all the talking. Mad at Ford because they say nothing so it becomes one side story.
Old 9/16/11, 02:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cbaty08
It's all good, it just shows people's true colors; I try to pay them no attention as they are worthless to me.

I don't stand up for the guy, but I stand up for myself and a community which I try and help represent in a good light; camaro owners are laughing it up while we go at each others throats; grow up people and open your eyes.

There are real issues here and you guys are simply picking on a guy who maybe be an oddball sometimes; move on and let him be that, don't let it bring YOUR image down. You all look like a fool spending so much time on him; it's laughable.

pdmustgt,

I am in the same boat he was in, hoping for a new replacement; I want Ford to do what's right. In return they will retain a customer for future purchases, and if not I'm gone; and so are many others who I tell my story too.

Sure, my replacement might have problems too, I hope not; but I can guarantee you will blame ME! And that's fine, I will just try my hardest to bite my tongue when reading your oh so intellectual responses.

You make it sound like they out to screw you. Think about it how would they have made it this long as a company? As a tech I can tell you stories from ones who think warranty should cover everything no matter what. Or I read this on a forum so my vehicle has the exact same problem. Or this play I'm the victim role they are out to get me. I see this almost day every day.

I'm not saying all problems or issues are caused by owners but thats what you going to say I'm saying
Old 9/16/11, 08:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You guys have to meet your technicians at your dealer. Talk directly to them and have them ride with you. If he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about, he probably doesn't. May have to see another dealer.
That all comes down to your dealer. There is also a ford direct number you can call and those guys get moving when they get the message. Seems like Deysha does a pretty good job at getting things handled also.
Originally Posted by Overboost
I am going back and taking the shop foreman for a ride so that he can identify that there is a problem.
Hi Guys,

AlsCobra, you make a great point. With any concerns that anyone has with their vehicle, you should work with your dealers. They are the Ford outlet to resolutions. Then there is me and Customer Service to get things moving and shine some light to the situation. Overboost, please private message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage and contact info so I can escalate this for you as well.

Deysha
Old 9/16/11, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pdmustgt
You make it sound like they out to screw you. Think about it how would they have made it this long as a company? As a tech I can tell you stories from ones who think warranty should cover everything no matter what. Or I read this on a forum so my vehicle has the exact same problem. Or this play I'm the victim role they are out to get me. I see this almost day every day.

I'm not saying all problems or issues are caused by owners but thats what you going to say I'm saying
Don't hold anything back.
Old 9/16/11, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Alright guys. It's obvious that the trans on the new stangs is not up to par. Just my opinions here. The shifter is secured to the body instead of the trans(problem #1). It needs to be rigid and flex with the engine and trans. Possible Barton bracket or MGW shifter should take care of a lot of the missed gears. The shifters are in a bind under acceleration.
Let the dealers do the fluid swap for the noisy trans issues. It's very possible that it will help. Noisy trans doesnt mean that there is a problem. May just be a characteristic of the mt82.
You guys might have to come out of your own pockets for a few upgrades before you are satisfied. Would like to know if anybody has tried any of these routes yet.
I have. My first MT82 whined, I took it to the dealer, they replaced a bearing to try and fix it but it still whined (althought not quite as bad), then they replaced my entire trans. The new one is great.

I put Amsoil MTG, a Steeda shifter and a Steeda shifter bracket. I keep saying this thing shifts like teflon coated butter. Nothing quite like it.

I haven't been following the trans. fluid situation, is the MTL still the way to go? I may end up going this route after the dealer fixes my shifting clunk.
I went Amsoil MTG after Redline specifically told me they no longer recoommned MTL for the MT82, Amsoil does however recommend their product for it. The fluids are similar in weight but from my research the Amsoil is a little more modern.

I've isolated the area to under the shifter. You can hear it as the car comes out of gear above 3000 rpm, it makes a whirring noise after the clunk as something is slowing down.

I've thought about doing the Amsoil Severe Gear oil in the trans. I had good luck with it in my previous car, especially in the winter.
Like I said above, Amsoil recommends MTG, I paid about 12 bucks/QT from a local dealer. And bought a suction type fluid transfer gun from Autozone for 12 bucks. Didn't take too long on my garage floor at all.

Simple: the trans. isn't as bad as the hype has made it seem.
QFTMFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also QFT, this trans is perfect for this car.

My advice...find a new dealer. Mine didn't stop until my car was right. I just had some issues with not getting a loaner and the logistics of them swapping the bearing (ordering parts/tools etc).

That all comes down to your dealer. You guys have to know how to handle these guys.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 9/16/11, 09:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deysha, I am taking it to the dealer next week, and if the outcome isn't positive, I'll be contacting you. The dealer has been helpful in escalating it internally. My service adviser is fantastic.
Old 9/16/11, 09:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright guys. It's obvious that the trans on the new stangs is not up to par. Just my opinions here. The shifter is secured to the body instead of the trans(problem #1). It needs to be rigid and flex with the engine and trans. Possible Barton bracket or MGW shifter should take care of a lot of the missed gears. The shifters are in a bind under acceleration.
Let the dealers do the fluid swap for the noisy trans issues. It's very possible that it will help. Noisy trans doesnt mean that there is a problem. May just be a characteristic of the mt82.
You guys might have to come out of your own pockets for a few upgrades before you are satisfied. Would like to know if anybody has tried any of these routes yet.
Does installing a MGW shifted void warranty? Id like to install one just for the fact that they make some nice quality pieces..
Old 9/16/11, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Why is jmatero on sooooo many fourms? I also found his YouTube channel, but it's only mustang stuff...
Old 9/16/11, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's been a month and close to 15 pages ago since JMatero posted anything in this thread or on this board.

Please read the thread if you want to post on it. Some of us are trying to use it as a resource to see how othe's are or are not getting their own particular situations handled.
Old 9/16/11, 11:40 AM

Alright guys. It's obvious that the trans on the new stangs is not up to par. Just my opinions here. The shifter is secured to the body instead of the trans(problem #1).
How is the MT82 not up to par? From most of the reports on transmission issues I'd put money on the main issue being with the clutch than the transmission itself. The clutch issues also seem to be more QC related than anything else.

Oh and the shifter assembly on the 05 to 10 were mounted to the body as well.
Old 9/16/11, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by VA Raptor

How is the MT82 not up to par? From most of the reports on transmission issues I'd put money on the main issue being with the clutch than the transmission itself. The clutch issues also seem to be more QC related than anything else.

Oh and the shifter assembly on the 05 to 10 were mounted to the body as well.
One of you guys can try a new clutch. Only way to find out.

This is the deal. You guys have the cheaper trans option. 05-10 used tremec if I'm not mistaken.
The new model comes out and Ford goes through the usual bids for trannys. I'm sure that tremec had a suitable trans for the application but getrag promised the "equivalent" for a lot cheaper. And Chinese built at that. Tremec had been doing a decent job for Ford and a lot more manufactures for years. Why mess up a good thing? $$$

I hope when all of this is said and done, a valuable lesson will have been learned. I also recall being slammed a little earlier this year for speaking against Ford and their new trans plant being built in china. Hate to say I told you so.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems