Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/10, 02:04 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
The floorpan being welded in crooked has been mentioned, but I don't know how much truth there is behind that...
This was posted in this other thread. No specifics for the exact reasons, but good evidence of what Ford has done in the past.

Originally Posted by monkeystash
Before they closed the Taurus plant here in Atlanta, there would be new painted shells lined up outside behind the factory. They were totally stripped to the bone, no hood, doors, anything. I'm guessing these were the problem cars. I flew over the plant daily (at the end of ATL airport) and there were always plenty of scrapped shells. I hope this isn't the case in Flat Rock.
Check this part of AAI out. (Find the green arrow)

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/15/10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 6/15/10, 03:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Started looking locally for dealer inventories, and for some reason, all the dealers close to me got swamped with cars in the past week. Looks like things are finally starting to really move now, so hopefully we can continue this streak for weeks to come.
Old 6/15/10, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Errors and defects with the body shell is a surefire way to scrap a VIN.
That would be the most common reason; and apart from say, an accident in the plant (like a forkift running into the side or a shipping yard accident) that would be the only reason.

Keep in mind, that the body construction process is highly automated now. Many parts have very little human contact -- the dimensional and welding processes are done by robot and machine tooling. Dimensional checking is done by a machine. Now, there are many things that are done using sensors looking for bad or misaligned parts, but occasionally in rare instances strange things do happen.

Most times these issues are caught long before the car is built fully and trimmed out. And while I cannot say for certain what happened with these particular cars, it is quite possible that it was something that didn't show up until the leak test (water test). And if it was found that the cause of the leak was a miswelded panel and they couldn't fix it (a shifted floor pan could be one) they would scrap the VIN; they would possibly campaign all vehicles on site for this same issue. And at the same time they would also try to re-engineer the process back in the body shop to avoid the issue from reoccuring. ie put in more sensors. We term it in the field as "foolproofing"

It is possible that sheet metal changes for the '11s left gap in the foolproofing system, and a few got through.
Old 6/15/10, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Started looking locally for dealer inventories, and for some reason, all the dealers close to me got swamped with cars in the past week. Looks like things are finally starting to really move now, so hopefully we can continue this streak for weeks to come.
the new dealer just called AGAIN!..

2 GT's on the truck.. neither of them are mine..
they were for my old dealer other orders which again were after mine ..

so fingers are crossed..
Old 6/15/10, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Well at least the new dealer is calling you now?...
Old 6/15/10, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Well at least the new dealer is calling you now?...
from no calls in over a month from anyone.. to 4 in one day..

the pesimist in me says my car is still sitting in AAI somewhere in flat rock.
Old 6/15/10, 05:49 PM
GTR Member

I'll be taking a trip through AAI tomorrow and will keep an eye out for large piles of unshipped cars. I will also try to figure out which lots are what when I'm in there.
Old 6/15/10, 06:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
from no calls in over a month from anyone.. to 4 in one day..

the pesimist in me says my car is still sitting in AAI somewhere in flat rock.
Yeah, same here.

Requested deposite back, I'll see it in the mail soon

Knowing my luck, it will show up the day after I pick-up the Camaro
Old 6/15/10, 06:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Mine, is still there. Waiting to be shipped, supposed to be here by the end of the month.....
Old 6/15/10, 06:39 PM
GT Member

The limit of effort my new salesman would offer was to alert me when my vehicle arrived.

On the fourth request, where my distain for his lack of effort was dripping off the E-Mail, he bounced it up to the manager. The manager informed me my vehicle was completed on June 6 and would arrive at the end of the month.

He confirmed all vehicles were on hold regardless of issues, but all would arrive at the end of the month.

I agree that the factory should only ship good vehicles and should repair the problems first. I am not walking so I don't mind the delay.

I do mind the absence of communication from the factory. Who did they think they were going to fool? They should "come clean" w/ an official notice.
Old 6/15/10, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wingless
The limit of effort my new salesman would offer was to alert me when my vehicle arrived.

On the fourth request, where my distain for his lack of effort was dripping off the E-Mail, he bounced it up to the manager. The manager informed me my vehicle was completed on June 6 and would arrive at the end of the month.

He confirmed all vehicles were on hold regardless of issues, but all would arrive at the end of the month.

I agree that the factory should only ship good vehicles and should repair the problems first. I am not walking so I don't mind the delay.

I do mind the absence of communication from the factory. Who did they think they were going to fool? They should "come clean" w/ an official notice.

They will...an offical TSB or recall notice
Old 6/15/10, 06:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by wingless

If there were an official notice and more precise time frame (ala realistic ETA) I would have kept my order as long as it met my deadline (7/9/10). This end of the month June/July stuff doesn't work for me. I understand padding times and working within a window, but a firm end of June delivery keeps my business, a unconfirmed late July does not.
Old 6/15/10, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll be taking a trip through AAI tomorrow and will keep an eye out for large piles of unshipped cars. I will also try to figure out which lots are what when I'm in there.
While you're there Steve, could you please take a close look at ramp 51 to see if my car is still rusting out there. Thx. Take a few quick photos as well if you can ! Don't worry, we'll bail you out.
Old 6/15/10, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
While you're there Steve, could you please take a close look at ramp 51 to see if my car is still rusting out there. Thx. Take a few quick photos as well if you can ! Don't worry, we'll bail you out.
If you see a red Shelby with black accents, thats mine. Cant be too many with that combination. Anyway tell him to come on home if you see him.
Old 6/15/10, 07:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I got a firm end of June from my Dealer today for what it's worth....

Originally Posted by Kahdir
If there were an official notice and more precise time frame (ala realistic ETA) I would have kept my order as long as it met my deadline (7/9/10). This end of the month June/July stuff doesn't work for me. I understand padding times and working within a window, but a firm end of June delivery keeps my business, a unconfirmed late July does not.
Old 6/15/10, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
I got a firm end of June from my Dealer today for what it's worth....
I feel like this wasn't meant to be... I know this is out of my dealers hands, but I wouldn't take this being passed over crap at a McDonald's, why should I accept it on something costing 10,000 times more?

I equate this to me ordering a Big Mac Meal and waiting off to the side while the next few people order their food. Some order a Chicken Nugget Meal, others order a Quarter Pounder Meal with a few that order the same Big Mac Meal... some with special requests like "hold the special sauce". All of which get their food before me

I guess the big difference is that you pay in full while you wait for your food at McDonald's.
Old 6/15/10, 07:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahdir
I feel like this wasn't meant to be... I know this is out of my dealers hands, but I wouldn't take this being passed over crap at a McDonald's, why should I accept it on something costing 10,000 times more?

I equate this to me ordering a Big Mac Meal and waiting off to the side while the next few people order their food. Some order a Chicken Nugget Meal, others order a Quarter Pounder Meal with a few that order the same Big Mac Meal... some with special requests like "hold the special sauce". All of which get their food before me

I guess the big difference is that you pay in full while you wait for your food at McDonald's.
And the difference is the Big Mac doesn't have hundreds of parts being supplied from all over world.

When I worked at taco bell we used to call tickets out of order all the time. We didn't call them based on who ordered first, we called based on which was more convenient for us to make first
Old 6/15/10, 08:03 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
That would be the most common reason; and apart from say, an accident in the plant (like a forkift running into the side or a shipping yard accident) that would be the only reason.

Keep in mind, that the body construction process is highly automated now. Many parts have very little human contact -- the dimensional and welding processes are done by robot and machine tooling. Dimensional checking is done by a machine. Now, there are many things that are done using sensors looking for bad or misaligned parts, but occasionally in rare instances strange things do happen.

Most times these issues are caught long before the car is built fully and trimmed out. And while I cannot say for certain what happened with these particular cars, it is quite possible that it was something that didn't show up until the leak test (water test). And if it was found that the cause of the leak was a miswelded panel and they couldn't fix it (a shifted floor pan could be one) they would scrap the VIN; they would possibly campaign all vehicles on site for this same issue. And at the same time they would also try to re-engineer the process back in the body shop to avoid the issue from reoccuring. ie put in more sensors. We term it in the field as "foolproofing"

It is possible that sheet metal changes for the '11s left gap in the foolproofing system, and a few got through.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Sparky. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work are you doing for Ford? (I would totally understand if you want to maintain your anonymity)
Old 6/15/10, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it was a sheet metal issue then it had to be a fluke ... it's all the same as the 2010's ... Guess I better check my floor pans!
Old 6/15/10, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Thanks for the detailed explanation Sparky. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work are you doing for Ford? (I would totally understand if you want to maintain your anonymity)
OAC= Oakville Assembly Complex
Sparky= Old term referring to an electrician

I work in the bodybuild area of the plant that makes the Ford Edge, Flex and Lincoln MkX and MkT.

By trade I am an electrician (with a tool and die background), the official title is "Electrical Weld Repair Technician". I work maintenance on all electrical equipment in the plant from conveyors to tooling to automated welding equipment to programming robots to programming PLC and machine controls. It's a broad spectrum.

Quick Reply: Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds