Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/10, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
If it was a sheet metal issue then it had to be a fluke ... it's all the same as the 2010's ... Guess I better check my floor pans!
You might not be able to tell without looking at the actual part numbers, believe it or not those numbers can even change a few times during the same model year run.
Old 6/15/10, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
OAC= Oakville Assembly Complex
Sparky= Old term referring to an electrician

I work in the bodybuild area of the plant that makes the Ford Edge, Flex and Lincoln MkX and MkT.

By trade I am an electrician (with a tool and die background), the official title is "Electrical Weld Repair Technician". I work maintenance on all electrical equipment in the plant from conveyors to tooling to automated welding equipment to programming robots to programming PLC and machine controls. It's a broad spectrum.
Could that be one of the hold problem with some of our cars ?

Last edited by montreal ponies; 6/15/10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 6/15/10, 08:35 PM
FR500 Member

OAC= Oakville Assembly Complex
Sparky= Old term referring to an electrician

I work in the bodybuild area of the plant that makes the Ford Edge, Flex and Lincoln MkX and MkT.

By trade I am an electrician (with a tool and die background), the official title is "Electrical Weld Repair Technician". I work maintenance on all electrical equipment in the plant from conveyors to tooling to automated welding equipment to programming robots to programming PLC and machine controls. It's a broad spectrum.
I thought so, but I couldn't put the acronym for Oakville together. So have you seen other reasons for scrapping an 'entire' car? From the satellite photo of AAI, I could 10 smashed cars/shells. It seems that at least a couple of them are painted.
Old 6/15/10, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Would that be one of the hold problem with some of our cars ?
If you're referring to floorpans, is it possible or is it the reason? As I said in the post you quoted, I don't work at AAI so I don't know the reason for the holds. I only know what rumors are out there from reading the various posts here and on a few other forums. From those rumors, I can discard a few as being implausible based on my experience with the Ford system.

So if you're asking if misaligned floorpans could be an issue why those 18 cars got scrapped? It's possible but not certain. There are so many welds involved that you cannot change one without pretty much destroying the car. It would be a scrappable defect. Thankfully it's not a problem that happens often.
Old 6/15/10, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I thought so, but I couldn't put the acronym for Oakville together. So have you seen other reasons for scrapping an 'entire' car? From the satellite photo of AAI, I could 10 smashed cars/shells. It seems that at least a couple of them are painted.
We take random shells and various parts from the line daily to do deconstructive weld tests. Every weld is ripped apart to test for quality. Obviously, those parts are non-serviceable and are scrapped. A complete shell taken from the line would be resequenced right away.

Other cars that do get scrapped can be for a myriad of reasons; whether an equipment malfunction (robot decides to rip a "new window" in the side") or an out of tolerance build. A car can also be scrapped from a subpar paint job. They will try to repaint a car if a paint defect is found, but there is a limit to the number of times that the car can be painted (because then parts won't fit like trying to put on your shoes with 5 pairs of socks on.)

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 6/15/10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 6/15/10, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you're referring to floorpans, is it possible or is it the reason? As I said in the post you quoted, I don't work at AAI so I don't know the reason for the holds. I only know what rumors are out there from reading the various posts here and on a few other forums. From those rumors, I can discard a few as being implausible based on my experience with the Ford system.

So if you're asking if misaligned floorpans could be an issue why those 18 cars got scrapped? It's possible but not certain. There are so many welds involved that you cannot change one without pretty much destroying the car. It would be a scrappable defect. Thankfully it's not a problem that happens often.
Good enough, thx for taking the time to answer and shed some light on this matter.
Old 6/16/10, 04:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
And the difference is the Big Mac doesn't have hundreds of parts being supplied from all over world.

When I worked at taco bell we used to call tickets out of order all the time. We didn't call them based on who ordered first, we called based on which was more convenient for us to make first
And that is why I no longer eat at Taco Bell
Old 6/16/10, 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Kahdir
And that is why I no longer eat at Taco Bell
I eat at Taco Bell because I don't have a Del Taco with 50 miles. Or 500 miles as far as I know.

The Volcano menu was the best thing to happen at Taco Bell since bean paste.
Old 6/16/10, 06:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I eat at Taco Bell because I don't have a Del Taco with 50 miles. Or 500 miles as far as I know.

The Volcano menu was the best thing to happen at Taco Bell since bean paste.
Respect -1000

'best' and 'Taco Bell' are never to be used in the same sentence
Old 6/16/10, 07:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Respect -1000

'best' and 'Taco Bell' are never to be used in the same sentence
Those of us who eat at Toxic Hell will be better prepared for the apocalypse. Our stomachs are preserved and ready to consume anything in the post-apocalyptic world. :-)

Take another 1000... I'm goin' there for lunch today.

Old 6/16/10, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Those of us who eat at Toxic Hell will be better prepared for the apocalypse. Our stomachs are preserved and ready to consume anything in the post-apocalyptic world. :-)

Take another 1000... I'm goin' there for lunch today.

Crunchwrap my friend, crunchwrap.
Old 6/16/10, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
Crunchwrap my friend, crunchwrap.
Another fine dining selection from the 'bell.
Old 6/16/10, 09:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taco Bell is nothing more than a wall of laxative flavors.

FYI, the King Rd. rail lot is EMPTY! Drove past this morning and all cars have been shipped out of there via railcar.
Old 6/16/10, 09:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the update Steve!

I wonder if this mass shipment for the end of June has ANYTHING to do with 2nd quarter numbers at Ford. . . they can't count revenue/profit until the cars are sold, right?
Old 6/16/10, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
FYI, the King Rd. rail lot is EMPTY! Drove past this morning and all cars have been shipped out of there via railcar.
Is this the King Rd. lot?
Old 6/16/10, 09:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Is this the King Rd. lot?
Yes, that's correct. For the longest time, they stored Suzuki XL7s in there, but it has been empty for some time, and the Mustangs have been there for a few weeks.

EDIT - looking at the sat. pic, that was taken when the XL7s were still there. They used the lots of the industrial park that's due west as overflow storage. That building is now where GM makes battery packs for the Volt.

Last edited by Overboost; 6/16/10 at 09:30 AM.
Old 6/16/10, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
can we assume that on the railroads
in the railcars
are our ordered cars
i really could use my GT right now (GT right now, GT right now)

dare we think that on the train tracks
moving through the night now
are our missing cars
i really need my GT fixed by now (fixed by now, fixed by now)
Old 6/16/10, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

My dealer FINALLY got an '11 Mustang today (Their 1st, and they're a big dealer). Not mine, but a good sign I hope.
Old 6/16/10, 02:54 PM
FR500 Member

We take random shells and various parts from the line daily to do deconstructive weld tests. Every weld is ripped apart to test for quality. Obviously, those parts are non-serviceable and are scrapped. A complete shell taken from the line would be resequenced right away.
That must be a logistical nightmare. Surely by the time you've pulled a shell other parts of the same car are in process at other parts of the line. Do they have to be pulled too in order to keep the builds properly sequenced?
Old 6/16/10, 05:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
That must be a logistical nightmare. Surely by the time you've pulled a shell other parts of the same car are in process at other parts of the line. Do they have to be pulled too in order to keep the builds properly sequenced?
I think that's the purpose of the blend #. Based on OAC_Sparky's post, the blend puts "like cars" together. So I doubt it's that big of a deal to pull 1 RapidSpec 401a from 500.

Quick Reply: Latest reason for the hold on GT's/Rumours on the Holds/Update on the Holds/Holds