2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/11, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26

If you don't trust Ford, have only test driven ONE 2011+ Mustang that was used, and don't own a Mustang, why are you even on this forum? I would think you have better things to do with your day than participate in discussions that you have no reason to be a part of, seeing you don't own the requisite vehicles.
He owns an ' 03 Mach 1. I believe the Tremec T3650 is his comparison basis.
Old 11/13/11, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
He owns an ' 03 Mach 1. I believe the Tremec T3650 is his comparison basis.
Then there is a great SN95 section of the forum for him to post in. He doesn't belong in the S197 section posting his uneducated crap in this thread.
Old 11/13/11, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Then there is a great SN95 section of the forum for him to post in. He doesn't belong in the S197 section posting his uneducated crap in this thread.
Regardless of how you might perceive the commentary, past Mustang owners are hearing things from current Mustang owners that merit discussion. This issue is one of them.

It is good that Ford has provided what they have. Two of the most important items in that response deal with all the engineering changes that were made and how big the affected population is, at least according to how Ford tracks it.

That is more educational that hearsay on the forums, where a lot of the information has been circulating ahead of this.
Old 11/13/11, 02:07 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think chevy owns a 2005-09 mustang.

Hey chevy. I hear good things about honda you should buy one.
Old 11/13/11, 02:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you even done any research on the rising cost of labor in China? It is predicted that because of the rising labor costs there, by 2015 it will be 70% of what it costs in the US, not including shipping costs to bring the goods overseas. Goverment mandated 15% a year wage increases are in effect. It is not as cheap as it used to be, just the work ethic of the Chinese people is much better than most of America, due to the high population (if you do your job poorly, there are 10 others to take your place happily.)

The MT-82 was designed by Getrag, a German company, with some guys who really know what they're doing. Compared to a 6060, I would take the MT-82 any day. Yes, there are some issues with the MT-82. Mine is going in tomorrow for a 5th gear grind. But i trust ford to fix it. Ford is addressing these issues, and good dealers are repairing things properly.
Wage concessions were apparently key to persuading Ford Motor Co. to direct many of the 4,500 new jobs involved in building Fiestas to the Ford plant in Cuautitlan, on the outskirts of Mexico City. Union leaders at the plant told The Associated Press they had agreed to cut wages for new hires to about half of the current wage of $4.50 per hour.
"We agreed to it," said Ford union leader Juan Jose Sosa Arreola. "We need to be more competitive. That's the truth. That's a reality."
The United Auto Workers union had hoped to preserve American jobs by offering a two-tier wage system last fall, cutting starting wages for new U.S. workers by half to about $14.20 an hour. But it hasn't worked -- the jobs are flowing to Mexico, where starting wages at some plants also have been two-tiered, to as little as $1.50 per hour with a lot less of the related pension and health care costs of U.S. workers.
With labor costs like these, Mexico is staying competitive with China, where an average worker at a foreign-owned factory or joint venture can make $2 to $6 per hour. While Mexican benefit costs run higher, Mexico may have already won the low-wage race
The Race to the Bottom is on, with the ultimate low wage workforce being a surf or slave class.
Old 11/18/11, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Well said!

It's sad that people can't exercise a little courtesy to others when they're paid to try and help you. The retail/service industry gets shafted hard by the public today. I still believe everyone should spend some time there to learn how to treat people with respect.
well said! as a member of the working service industry (service plumber) and having worked several retail/food jobs before in the past, I'm quite aware of how those that work in service are treated
Old 11/19/11, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think chevy owns a 2005-09 mustang.

Hey chevy. I hear good things about honda you should buy one.
Neither are true. I have a 3 Ford and am considering a HOnda for a daily beater though. Some of you guys are so juvenile and sensitive when serious concerns expressed. Remember, I care about long term durability. You only get one chance to spend a dollar. I dont want to make a mistake. The rest of you who have to have it can be the guinea pigs. NTHSB does not have a case open on the 6060 or 3650, or any other manual that I know of at this time. I know they all have some quirks believe me. Nothing is going to come of the case open with the Getrag imo. It will be just mumbo jumbo like Fords response. The publicity alone has just put Ford in a corner with the faithful and I consider myself one of those. Its not like there was a problem with the Fiesta.

The Getrag is not going away for sure. Its here to stay like it or not. Its cheap or Ford would not use it. I dont like it. I have a HD motorcycle and I fully admit some of the parts are from overseas like the forks ect.. But, the heart of the motorcycle like the engine and trans are made here.

When its all said and done Ford is going to have a black eye on this one. I dont care what the NTHSB says. The damage is done and its done where it matters. Justified or not is the question. I just wished they would have communicated with us better. They just let people hang and the 11, 12 will forever be marked off my list of wanted mustangs.

Lets hope the 13's are better. Dont hold your breath. Remember, imo, the beancounters and suits (attorneys) run the show at Ford Motor Co now imo.

Im frustrated with the Ford/Getrag mess. The mt82, the powershifts are hitting consumer reports. 100 years plus in business and we dont know how to build a manual or automatic trans???? WTF?
Old 11/19/11, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
I have called Ford to schedule another test drive. I understand your point. You are the sanest person on the board and I take your opinion to heart. I still have my doubts and the long term longevity is a concern.

Im going to go drive another one. I will report back and be as honest as I can be. I give you all my word on that. Ford has called me back and they have several brand new GT's that I can drive. See you all in a few hours.
Did I miss the report back.....or did you not do a test drive in the past 8 days....just wondering.
Old 11/19/11, 07:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither are true. I have a 3 Ford and am considering a HOnda for a daily beater though. Some of you guys are so juvenile and sensitive when serious concerns expressed.
Here's the deal, you took one test drive and are basing your entire argument on that vs people who actually have the car in question and are not having any problems. Your argument has no merit. You have no reason to ***** because you don't even have a car to whine about. Even jmatero(and I hate to say this) makes more sense than you. I have had 4 Mustangs, all bought new and haven't had any problems with any of them other than normal wear and tear. My car shifts beautifully and the vast majority of the MT82 owners are experiencing the same thing. There was a very small percentage of owners(3%!) that had problems early on, some of them were owner induced, and Ford has taken care of them.

If you buy a new Mustang it's covered by by a 5/60 drivetrain warrantee. Either take the plunge and buy one or gtfo. Ford isn't going to change transmissions just because you and jmatero are crying.
Old 11/19/11, 07:38 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I can't believe that you guys are still responding to Chevys. Go buy a damm Honda already. Or challenger. Or camaro. Who gives a rats ****? You guys are being trolled.
Old 11/19/11, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I can't believe that you guys are still responding to Chevys. Go buy a damm Honda already. Or challenger. Or camaro. Who gives a rats ****? You guys are being trolled.
Suppose you are right. Gets annoying though.
Old 11/19/11, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

I am not sure why a problem with a few units, such as the MT-82's reported to NHTSA would effect the resale value of our cars or new Mustang sales.

I just read that Toyota/Lexus is recalling 420,326 cars for power steering problems, and BMW is recalling 32,000 V8 and V12 models for possible fire problems.

I have not seen an adverse problem with sales or resale of these cars, which are much more serious then the transmission problems with the MT-82.

I purchased the ESP Premium Care Bumper to Bumper, for 7 years/100,000 miles and feel confident the transmission will outlast the warranty, if it does not, Ford can replace it. So what is the problem?
Old 11/19/11, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Just wanted to see about his "second" test drive....lol....as I doubt the first one happened either.
Old 11/19/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Just wanted to see about his "second" test drive....lol....as I doubt the first one happened either.
Wrong answer. I did drive a brand new one with 17 miles on it. The sales guy let it warm up a bit before I got into it. It shifted as slick as a whistle for the most part. I was impressed and it was night and day difference between it and the first one I drove. Maybe this on had the upgrades? It was better than my 3650 no doubt.

But, how will the Chinese parts hold up long term? Nobody knows just yet.

Stop assuming Im some troll. I just care and want to know more. If you really really think this is a better trans than the 6060 then you are crazy. In working order it is slicker I give you that but it wont hold up down the road either.

I have resisted in posting but the challenger is looking better everyday. No camaros for me thank you. Its a measly 370 hp and uses the Tremec. I still think Ford cheaped out here at the expense of the customer. Just get them out of warranty and the hell with them is what they are thinking. Im not drinking the kookaid and I dont believe Ford. The suits are in charge now you know. The enthusiast has taken a back seat in a pinto.
Old 11/19/11, 09:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong answer. I did drive a brand new one with 17 miles on it. The sales guy let it warm up a bit before I got into it. It shifted as slick as a whistle for the most part. I was impressed and it was night and day difference between it and the first one I drove. Maybe this on had the upgrades? It was better than my 3650 no doubt.

But, how will the Chinese parts hold up long term? Nobody knows just yet.

Stop assuming Im some troll. I just care and want to know more. If you really really think this is a better trans than the 6060 then you are crazy. In working order it is slicker I give you that but it wont hold up down the road either.

I have resisted in posting but the challenger is looking better everyday. No camaros for me thank you. Its a measly 370 hp and uses the Tremec. I still think Ford cheaped out here at the expense of the customer. Just get them out of warranty and the hell with them is what they are thinking. Im not drinking the kookaid and I dont believe Ford. The suits are in charge now you know. The enthusiast has taken a back seat in a pinto.
So, let me get this straight; you drove a good one, but still think it's "Chinese junk"? This is all I think of now:

Old 11/19/11, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
So, let me get this straight; you drove a good one, but still think it's "Chinese junk"? This is all I think of now:

Took the words right out of my brain!
Old 11/19/11, 09:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
Took the words right out of my brain!
Someone wasn't wearing their protection
Old 11/19/11, 09:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
IMO, the challenger is the best looking new car available- I like the 2013 changes, but still, the current challenger to me is nicer to look at...
As far as quality/cheapness, I would still worry about any mopar more than ford, I think historically theyve always been regarded as not too suprising if things break. Ford building the getrag in china is not suprising to me, and in doing so, would expect quality to be spotty- shame on ford, maybe, but the tremec wasnt exactly a M22 either.
think the getrag is going to have a bad reputation down the road? I do too...if they built a german design tranny in the USA, would I trust it more- not necessarily...cheapness is striking here too
Old 11/19/11, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Someone wasn't wearing their protection
LoL! I'm fresh out of tin foil.
Old 11/19/11, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wake up man. One out of two is not bad I dont guess. Those are not good odds for spending 35K. I know that is not reality but what really are the chances of getting a bad one? 3 percent that Ford says? I doubt that number big time.

How it will hold up is the question and I stand by my word it is Chinese Junk. Lets see this bad boy out last a tr 6060. Not going to happen. Its engineered on the edge of longevity but time will tell.

Im tired of the debate and am old enough to see a farce going down. Ford has dropped the ball and may have lost a customer for their sorry *** explanation and service. Let the chips fall where they may and maybe Ford wonders why Mustang sales are still behind the Camaro. The China made MT 82 is not helping them that is for sure. What a bunch of idiots. Nice work Ford.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 11/19/11 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault