Sponsored By:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 09:21 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
After working in dealership service departments for 10+ years, the majority of "consumers" are NOT intelligent individuals. This is made apparent by some of the postings just in this thread alone. No offense guys.
Those who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who do.
Old 11/9/11, 09:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54

+1
the majority of the human race are NOT intelligent individuals.
But arent we all just victims? Lets blame our parents.
No lets not do that. But as a certified ASE master technician, some chump "consumer" comes to me telling me what is wrong with his car because he found a thread in a forum. Do you really think that this "consumer" will be taken seriously? The "consumer" works in an office and the technician works on cars every day.
The point to this small rant is: Be mindful of how you approach your service department with a problem. You are at their mercy and some of these guys show no mercy.
Old 11/9/11, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Those who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who do.
I love this guy. ^ ^ ^
Not in a gay way.
Not that anything is wrong with that.
Old 11/9/11, 09:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said!

It's sad that people can't exercise a little courtesy to others when they're paid to try and help you. The retail/service industry gets shafted hard by the public today. I still believe everyone should spend some time there to learn how to treat people with respect.
Old 11/9/11, 09:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The point to this small rant is: Be mindful of how you approach your service department with a problem. You are at their mercy and some of these guys show no mercy.
That is EXACTLY why I have NEVER trusted mechanics - particularly Dealer mechanics - since I was in HS.

(no offense)

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 09:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I love this guy. ^ ^ ^
Not in a gay way.
Not that anything is wrong with that.
You need to take that conversation over to the SMMO thread
Old 11/9/11, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

That is EXACTLY why I have NEVER trusted mechanics - particularly Dealer mechanics - since I was in HS.

(no offense)
Oh I completely understand that. I've worked with many of these guys over the years. And there usually are only one or two in the whole place that know anything.
For the record though, my ex-technician Internet diagnosis in this thread has been spot on so far.
Old 11/9/11, 09:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

(no offense)
And that's also the reason I never act like a douche bag to anyone that handles my food.
Old 11/9/11, 09:44 PM
Banned

And that's also the reason I never act like a douche bag to anyone that handles my food.
Before "no" after "yes" if they f it up, they're going to hear about it.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 11/9/11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 11:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow, this thread blew up fast. The report was pretty detailed, and it sounds like Ford is more than going out of their way to fix the problems. Especially considering IT'S ONLY AFFECTING 3% OF THEM! This issue is currently, and always was, blown WAY out of proportion.

The number of fixes for this car is not excessive at all. There's always bugs that need working out. ALWAYS. If your MT82 has issues, then get it fixed. Stop *****ing...and just go get it fixed. Demand a replacement...lemon law it...whatever you have to do. Congrats, you let everyone know. Something is being done about it. So it's time to stop *****ing, and actually go get it fixed.

"chevys"...You seem to think you know a lot about the MT82's quality and durability...yet you don't own one? Seriously? No, seriously...
Old 11/10/11, 01:09 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get a kick out of people that dont own one or have really driven one more then once talking about the mt82.

I also get a kick out of people that are not in the market for one or even shopping for one talking about value resale and sales figures.
Old 11/10/11, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all of you experts.

we have concluded that the reports generally relate to custom unfamiliarity with the performance style shifter with its narrow gates, the skip-shift feature, vehicle modifications and vehicle abuse.

What is a performance style shifter? I mean seriously how lame is this? Whats going to happen at 100K miles? Blame the driver is what I get out of this. Trying to get out of warranty claims?

This sounds a lot like the excuses for the issues with the powershift trans in the Fiesta and Focus that are made by Getrag. They are killing Fords good name because these are high volume cars. Quality is not Job 1 anymore. Cost is Job 1.

My Mustang is 8 years old. I swore I would not do it but IM going to look at a Challenger. I wish you all the best of luck.
Old 11/10/11, 08:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by chevys
My Mustang is 8 years old. I swore I would not do it but IM going to look at a Challenger. I wish you all the best of luck.
Wait..so you're knocking Ford for quality..and you're going over to a Dodge?

The transmission will be fine, but everything else will just fall off.

Actually to be honest... there are some issues with the Challenger but not many.
Its been pretty solid.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/10/11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11/10/11, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I only read a few posts in this thread, but I'm surprised there was no mention of the whining in that report. My transmission was replaced due to it, and everybody with a 5.0 I have met in person says their MT82 whines (3).
Old 11/10/11, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Wait..so you're knocking Ford for quality..and you're going over to a Dodge?

The transmission will be fine, but everything else will just fall off.

Actually to be honest... there are some issues with the Challenger but not many.
Its been pretty solid.
THanks for the humor Boomer... Sometimes things get a little intense. I think the Challenger is just drop dead sexy but it wont perform like a MUstang. I still like them though.

Im getting old and like a bigger car to some degree. The TR 6060 is rock solid and so is the 5.7 Hemi as far as I know. All out performance is no longer at the top of my list.

I love the Mustang community and the people I have met. Lots of sharp folks. I want to stay a part of it. Its like home to me after all of these years.
Old 11/10/11, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
For all of you experts.

What is a performance style shifter? I mean seriously how lame is this? Whats going to happen at 100K miles? Blame the driver is what I get out of this. Trying to get out of warranty claims?

This sounds a lot like the excuses for the issues with the powershift trans in the Fiesta and Focus that are made by Getrag. They are killing Fords good name because these are high volume cars. Quality is not Job 1 anymore. Cost is Job 1.

Why are you only focusing on the driver error part of the report? They admitted that there were other issues, and they've done their best to come up with a fix for them. Like it or not, driver error is an issue. Not everyone knows what they're doing. I've seen posts from people scared to buy an MT82, because of all the problems...and that's rediculous. The problem is not widespread. You'll always find a problem when you've got it stuck in your head and you're *trying* to find one.

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I only read a few posts in this thread, but I'm surprised there was no mention of the whining in that report. My transmission was replaced due to it, and everybody with a 5.0 I have met in person says their MT82 whines (3).
I'm fairly sure the report mentioned a whine. They tried using thicker fluid, but the whine from the drivers got even louder than the original whine.
Old 11/10/11, 10:13 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
THanks for the humor Boomer... Sometimes things get a little intense. I think the Challenger is just drop dead sexy but it wont perform like a MUstang. I still like them though.

Im getting old and like a bigger car to some degree. The TR 6060 is rock solid and so is the 5.7 Hemi as far as I know. All out performance is no longer at the top of my list.

I love the Mustang community and the people I have met. Lots of sharp folks. I want to stay a part of it. Its like home to me after all of these years.
Oh you don't have to tell me... it's been a tough decision too.
I love that car, and its my wifes dream car.
Old 11/10/11, 10:36 AM
Post *****

You don't read well. How is a shifter with narrow gates going to affect longevity of the trans? You continue to twist everything Ford has said and done to make bs out of thin air. You are truly clueless but love massaging that huge chip on your shoulder.

"with the performance style shifter with its narrow gates"

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/10/11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11/10/11, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by blackgt87
The phosphate coated gears were added to help prevent any whining from developing. Many times the whine will start from improper break-in or abuse during break-in, so the phospate coated gears helps ensure a proper break-in.

Also, the 3% number seems to jive very well with what the owner of the "True Delta" website had been saying about transmission complaints. He stated that he was not seeing anywhere near the number of service reports he had expected based on the internet noise.

Last edited by Scottward; 11/10/11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11/10/11, 01:02 PM

Somebody just ban his ****. I don't feel like reading another 10 pages about jmatero. Dude probably doesn't even own a stang and if he does, it needs to catch fire.
This would lead to a catastrophe for his local fire department. I'm sure he would find fault with the fire extinguishing process and they would be caught up in a whirlwind of emails to the local city hall.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault