2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 08:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jmatero
Sorry, but you don't fix what isn't broken... And you don't know you product is breaking unless customers report it.

Changes made since the 2011 production began:

04/26/2010: Revised Clutch Pedal Return Spring
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

01/07/2011: Revised Clutch Spring Finger Height
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

10/19/2010: Revised fastener/thread locker
Addresses clutch fastener back out

09/07/2010: Changed 5th/6th gear surface finish
Addresses grinding during 5th gear shifts

07/25/2011: Added phosphate coating to gears
Reduces gear noise

07/25/2011: Lower viscosity lubricant
To reduce shift effort in all temps

08/31/2011: Changed clearance between 2nd gear friction ring & cone
Resolve ring to gear face contact and gear clash

02/25/2011: Fourth gear weld incomplete during production
Process verification to ensure complete gear welding

07/01/2011: Vehicle message center
Extended skip-shift illumination time so drivers aware of engagement

That's a LOT of changes in to a drivetrain in a year. I mean, seriously, welding issues with gears in China. Also, the docs state there have been repairs to 3% of 2011/2012 vehicles. That doesn't even count folks who didn't take it in and are sitting on the sidelines waiting for a fix.
He's baaaaaaaack!
Old 11/9/11, 08:37 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Ahhh, the guest of honor has arrived. Now its a party. Shake that bear.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 11/9/11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
He's baaaaaaaack!
....must of gotten lonely on that other site......being about the only one there.
Old 11/9/11, 08:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Fried rice and egg rolls.
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
No one cares....do you cut and paste this drivel just to rattle the real posters.
He's baaaaaaaack!

Pretty sure he's workin' it while he types.
Old 11/9/11, 08:40 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Somebody just ban his ****. I don't feel like reading another 10 pages about jmatero. Dude probably doesn't even own a stang and if he does, it needs to catch fire.
Old 11/9/11, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive taken mine to the dealer 3 times and to a different dealer the third time. Same response ever time " its normal ". At 7k miles mine still whines and now that its getting colder its starting to grind much worse than last winter. I never expected Ford to do anything about it in this crappy economy.
Old 11/9/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look out Joe. chevys might read all the trash talk you throw at the Boss and completely give up on Ford for more of their crappy products with which he has no experience

I have forgotten more about Fords than you will ever know. Get a life.
Old 11/9/11, 08:44 PM

Somebody just ban his ****. I don't feel like reading another 10 pages about jmatero. Dude probably doesn't even own a stang and if he does, it needs to catch fire.
Where's the love?
I guess this is one instance where absence doesn't make the heart grow fonder.
Or the fart go Honda (but that is a different joke)
Old 11/9/11, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by chevys

Old 11/9/11, 08:46 PM

I dont need a life. I have 444hp and a sweet shiftin' MT82.
Old 11/9/11, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Having read the report, it seems that the response was in line with what has been reported regarding the symptoms that people have described (emotional overreactions aside).

Having flipped through the gears in a Boss 302 while parked a little while back, I could see where shifting might be considered "difficult" because of the gear spacing. The action felt OK to me, just different than my current Tremec.

I suspect that even if this transmission was built in another country, similar complaints could have arisen. Of all of this issues described, only one seems related to what some have labeled as "poor Chinese quality" in the actual transmission unit

a) cold shifting - fluid only
b) clutch plate bolt -not transmission
c) clutch stayout - not transmission
d) 5th gear synchronization - transmission

If there are durability concerns, the 5 yr/60000 mi powertrain warranty should cover this, no?

The documents included in the report are interesting and give some insight into the time duration for responding to this, specifically pages 73 and 74, which detail all the running changes.

I will say that concerns found in 3% of the total production over the 2011 and 2012 model years, given it has been not that many cars, is a somewhat larger number of instances of things to cause concern. However, the fact that they can be identified and tracked using the data that Ford dealers capture tells me that Ford people were quite aware and not "keeping quiet".

Again, the dealership communication processes most likely could have helped to reduce the "not knowing" anxiety.

Hopefully all those legitimately experiencing the described symptoms can get things satisfactorily addressed at a service department that is aware of this.
Old 11/9/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

No one cares....do you cut and paste this drivel just to rattle the real posters.
Im a real poster and if you dont think the China built m82 has issues you are a fool. This thing is bad susspect and shakey. Let me know how yours holds up down the road. I would be scarded to death.
Old 11/9/11, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Having read the report, it seems that the response was in line with what has been reported regarding the symptoms that people have described (emotional overreactions aside).

Having flipped through the gears in a Boss 302 while parked a little while back, I could see where shifting might be considered "difficult" because of the gear spacing. The action felt OK to me, just different than my current Tremec.

I suspect that even if this transmission was built in another country, similar complaints could have arisen. Of all of this issues described, only one seems related to what some have labeled as "poor Chinese quality" in the actual transmission unit

a) cold shifting - fluid only
b) clutch plate bolt -not transmission
c) clutch stayout - not transmission
d) 5th gear synchronization - transmission

If there are durability concerns, the 5 yr/60000 mi powertrain warranty should cover this, no?

The documents included in the report are interesting and give some insight into the time duration for responding to this, specifically pages 73 and 74, which detail all the running changes.

I will say that concerns found in 3% of the total production over the 2011 and 2012 model years, given it has been not that many cars, is a somewhat larger number of instances of things to cause concern. However, the fact that they can be identified and tracked using the data that Ford dealers capture tells me that Ford people were quite aware and not "keeping quiet".

Again, the dealership communication processes most likely could have helped to reduce the "not knowing" anxiety.

Hopefully all those legitimately experiencing the described symptoms can get things satisfactorily addressed at a service department that is aware of this.
Very nice, unbiased, objective, rational post from an enthusiast that doesn't own an MT82. Thanks Tony.
(BTW, are you sure you are on the right thread for that type post :-))
Old 11/9/11, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Very nice, unbiased, objective, rational post from an enthusiast that doesn't own an MT82. Thanks Tony.
(BTW, are you sure you are on the right thread for that type post :-))
Just waiting to buy a Boss 302
Old 11/9/11, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From Tony Alonso :"Again, the dealership communication processes most likely could have helped to reduce the "not knowing" anxiety."

I have to agree on this one. Th sad fact is most dealers do as little as possible, and I don't care which make they are selling. It would be different if the factory was allowed to sell directly to the consumer, but thanks to Congress that is against the law. My dealer knew nothing about the MT82 problems when I asked them to do the fluid TSB for cold weather shifting. They didn't even have the fluid in stock. I spoke to a second dealer in another city, in SD, and received the same comments..what problems? Also, my salesman had the "deer in the headlights" look when I asked about the skip shift feature, when I initially test drove the car. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Communication is key and Ford needs to "encourage" the dealer network to start treating the customer like a valuable commodity or they will go somewhere else. All the consumer is asking, is to be treated like an intelligent individual.
Old 11/9/11, 09:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a real poster and if you dont think the China built m82 has issues you are a fool. This thing is bad susspect and shakey. Let me know how yours holds up down the road. I would be scarded to death.
Why did you PM me weeks ago apologizing for being a pain, then when a resolution is posted you come in and start posting nonsense again?

Clearly you have no intentions of buying, so please, go somewhere where you can actually contribute something other than your personal whining.
Old 11/9/11, 09:09 PM

From Tony Alonso :"Again, the dealership communication processes most likely could have helped to reduce the "not knowing" anxiety."

I have to agree on this one. Th sad fact is most dealers do as little as possible, and I don't care which make they are selling. It would be different if the factory was allowed to sell directly to the consumer, but thanks to Congress that is against the law. My dealer knew nothing about the MT82 problems when I asked them to do the fluid TSB for cold weather shifting. They didn't even have the fluid in stock. I spoke to a second dealer in another city, in SD, and received the same comments..what problems? Also, my salesman had the "deer in the headlights" look when I asked about the skip shift feature, when I initially test drove the car. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Communication is key and Ford needs to "encourage" the dealer network to start treating the customer like a valuable commodity or they will go somewhere else. All the consumer is asking, is to be treated like an intelligent individual.
After working in dealership service departments for 10+ years, the majority of "consumers" are NOT intelligent individuals. This is made apparent by some of the postings just in this thread alone. No offense guys.
Old 11/9/11, 09:13 PM

After working in dealership service departments for 10+ years, the majority of "consumers" are NOT intelligent individuals. This is made apparent by some of the postings just in this thread alone. No offense guys.
+1
the majority of the human race are NOT intelligent individuals.
But arent we all just victims? Lets blame our parents.
Old 11/9/11, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd say some are not "car aware", while of course there would be some who can be belligerent. The service advisors perform a key role as translators of the concerns to those working on the cars. I've seen some really attentive ones, and I've see some who seem like I am bothering them.

In contrast to many of the technicians with whom I've directly talked, those folks, if they have the time to break away, actually treated me quite well. Of course, this is all dealer-dependent.
Old 11/9/11, 09:19 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahh yes. Used to be that way for everyone.

But the internet - The GREAT equalizer - has changed that for those wanting to be informed. (Excepting the drivel from certain posters of course.) I love walking into my Chrysler Dealer and knowing more about the issue than they do at the counter. Same with my Ford Dealer when I ordered Bullitt.

I'm pretty sure they were thinking "What's a forum??".

However, though things are still slow to catch up, FORD has been on it by plugging in online.

Think of what that means. As far as providing what the consumer wants. Thank goodness I have griped loudly and often on that ugly freakin' diaper!

That was the worst, most conflicted design EVER!

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault