2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/11, 11:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah burnouts, those things ford has had the mustang doing in EVERY advertisement since i can remember. and how the mustang has a pavement eating --- HP.

I personally have no problems with mine but Ford is basically saying there are few issues and social media (us) hyped it up. If its such a small % why not just get your *** in gear (no pun intended) and fix it. Why are they getting defensive??? hmmm

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 11/30/11 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12/1/11, 12:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
you know, this skip feature thing... I've seen the note pop up on my dash occasionally, 1-4, but I just ignore it, and go from 1 - 2. So what am I missing here? Why are folks so concerned about the skip shift?
It is VERY easy to drive around. I've seen it less than 10 times in a year and a half.
Old 12/1/11, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

It also says "customer unfamiliarity" with the differences between the 6-speed and former 5-speed transmission
Now that is grasping. So you can drive a 5 speed ok but you cant drive a 6? Really? Ford really is reaching here imo. This will likely not go away with the next model year but I wish it would.
Old 12/1/11, 02:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
you know, this skip feature thing... I've seen the note pop up on my dash occasionally, 1-4, but I just ignore it, and go from 1 - 2. So what am I missing here? Why are folks so concerned about the skip shift?
The message that pops up is a suggestion to shift from 1 to 4. It will actually force you to skip to 4 under certain driving conditions. Very light acceleration and only if you shift at certain rpms, and I don't remember what rpm range. I think it's like 1500 to 3000. Mine rarely forces the skip but it has happened, like being stuck behind someone going really slow.
Old 12/1/11, 03:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chevys
...So you can drive a 5 speed ok but you cant drive a 6? Really? Ford really is reaching here imo. This will likely not go away with the next model year but I wish it would.
Been driving mostly manual transmissions for 36 years, and this is my first 6 speed. Very different experience than any other I've driven, from 3 and 4 speeds on the column to 3, 4 and 5 speeds on the floor.

With this MT-82 I learned right away to let the strong centering spring take me to the center pair of gates (3 and 4) and to loosen my grip on the shifter when doing so, instead of simply shifting 'up and over' like I always have, and to properly counter the spring when shifting into or within either of the outside pair of gates (1 and 2 or 5 and 6). These gates seem pretty narrow. I also learned my clutch pedal needs to be fully depressed.

When I don't do the above I can easily miss shifts, especially in the excitement of 2 to 3 under hard acceleration. Do that repeatedly and hard and I think bad things will begin to happen.

I also think that the sales folks for Ford should be stressing the importance of the above.

This, plus what I've gathered reading this and another forum, tells me the Ford explanation will very likely apply to a fair percentage of the transmission issues. How great a percentage is the question.

Admittedly I don't personally know any other '11 and '12 Mustang owners, but in addition to what I stated above, I can tell all my car shifts just fine when I adhere to the above and it's an extreme pleasure to drive.

I really feel for those folks who're having troubles. Real shame they don't get the joy our of their cars as I do.
Old 12/1/11, 05:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dafreeze
Been driving mostly manual transmissions for 36 years, and this is my first 6 speed. Very different experience than any other I've driven, from 3 and 4 speeds on the column to 3, 4 and 5 speeds on the floor.

With this MT-82 I learned right away to let the strong centering spring take me to the center pair of gates (3 and 4) and to loosen my grip on the shifter when doing so, instead of simply shifting 'up and over' like I always have, and to properly counter the spring when shifting into or within either of the outside pair of gates (1 and 2 or 5 and 6). These gates seem pretty narrow. I also learned my clutch pedal needs to be fully depressed.

When I don't do the above I can easily miss shifts, especially in the excitement of 2 to 3 under hard acceleration. Do that repeatedly and hard and I think bad things will begin to happen.

I also think that the sales folks for Ford should be stressing the importance of the above.

This, plus what I've gathered reading this and another forum, tells me the Ford explanation will very likely apply to a fair percentage of the transmission issues. How great a percentage is the question.

Admittedly I don't personally know any other '11 and '12 Mustang owners, but in addition to what I stated above, I can tell all my car shifts just fine when I adhere to the above and it's an extreme pleasure to drive.

I really feel for those folks who're having troubles. Real shame they don't get the joy our of their cars as I do.
Good post...and good description of the best way to handle this gear box. After a while it becomes natural though and it is possible to shft very quickly...at least, that has been my experience.
Old 12/1/11, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post!
Old 12/1/11, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Good points by dafreeze but this is all discussed over & over again in the stickied thread above - mods, can we lock this one?
Old 12/1/11, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Gents and thank-you, too, Kyle. But my points weren't discussed in the stickied thread. A fair portion of that one is countering an old fart trashing the transmission who doesn't even own one. Why I posted this here. Hey, I see you're in KCMO...Have a total of ~ 7 years there...Independence, Raytown and Lakewood.
Old 12/1/11, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

i completely agree with you about the centering springs. At first it feels way to tight but then you learn to love it. (TWSS) I cant tell you how many of my friends have gotten into my car and stalled it because they started in 3rd.
Old 12/1/11, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

funny, I only now realized the guy I'm quoting in my first post is the same guy I'm referring to in my 2nd...all the more reason for me to have put it here, now that I think about it.

Chevys, I don't usually call folks out directly but since I've already ref'd you twice I'll go ahead and let loose...you've repeatedly stated opinions on this matter that aren't based in fact or reasonable experience and your continued stating of them isn't doing anyone any good.

Makes you come off like a bit of a moron...this is one hell of a car. I've owned some really cool junk in my life (ie, Wrangler Rubicon, 20' bass boat, several killer bikes, street and motocross, 15+ outstanding guitars) but nothing's plastered as permanent a grin on my face as this car.

Last edited by dafreeze; 12/1/11 at 07:06 AM. Reason: -2, grammar
Old 12/1/11, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, I put 15 a little over 15K phenominal miles on my car in the first 5 months...hey, what do you all say we make a rule that states you can't talk about your car without posting a picture of it. Here's a few quickies...last one's for all the d.a.'s
Attached Thumbnails Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-mustanggt10.jpg   Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-img_0190.jpg   Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-401a.jpg   Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-eatme1.jpg  
Old 12/1/11, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

funny, I only now realized the guy I'm quoting in my first post is the same guy I'm referring to in my 2nd...all the more reason for me to have put it here, now that I think about it.

Chevys, I don't usually call folks out directly but since I've already ref'd you twice I'll go ahead and let loose...you've repeatedly stated opinions on this matter that aren't based in fact or reasonable experience and your continued stating of them isn't doing anyone any good.

Makes you come off like a bit of a moron...this is one hell of a car. I've owned some really cool junk in my life (ie, Wrangler Rubicon, 20' bass boat, several killer bikes, street and motocross, 15+ outstanding guitars) but nothing's plastered as permanent a grin on my face as this car.
No offense taken. I have been down the same roads with bass boats, motorcycles ect... I read your post with great interest and could not discern much out of it because a 5 speed acts the same way pretty much with the centering spring as far as I can tell. I dont doubt for a second is a great car but we all have our opinions on the transmission. I wish you the best of luck with yours.
Old 12/1/11, 07:38 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok, so I’m going to put this in here too in case new members come in.

If you are having a concern with your vehicle and have not brought it in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis, please make an appointment with them. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Have a good day!

Deysha
Old 12/1/11, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chevys
No offense taken. I have been down the same roads with bass boats, motorcycles ect... I read your post with great interest and could not discern much out of it because a 5 speed acts the same way pretty much with the centering spring as far as I can tell. I dont doubt for a second is a great car but we all have our opinions on the transmission. I wish you the best of luck with yours.

This is where you're wrong, my friend.

When it comes right down to it, if you're seriously thinking of a new performance car, you're only doing yourself a disservice by adopting this attitude based on two test drives and an internet forum.

I think Fords response to the investigation is very accurate.

Hate to see anyone sell themselves short of the outstanding experiences of this increadible vehicle based what they think they know.

There is so much more to read on the boards about folks having an absolute ball with their cars.

And thanks for the well wishes.

Last edited by dafreeze; 12/1/11 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12/1/11, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is where you're wrong, my friend.

When it comes right down to it, if you're seriously thinking of a new performance car, you're only doing yourself a disservice by adopting this attitude based on two test drives and an internet forum.

I think Fords response to the investigation is very accurate.

Hate to see anyone sell themselves short of the outstanding experiences of this increadible vehicle based what they think they know.

There is so much more to read on the boards about folks having an absolute ball with their cars.

And thanks for the well wishes.
Well, let me ask a dumb question then. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd if you just depress the clutch and push the 5 speed out of gear it pops to the center and you just push forward to 3rd gently. What am I missing here and why would the 6 speed be any different? You still have 1,3,5 on top.

There is not one of us alive that has not missed a gear at some point or let the clutch out too soon but to add one more gear and act like it some big deal doesnt register with me. Just trying to understand and maybe I need to drive yet another one and pay even closer attention.
Old 12/1/11, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

the gates are so tight on the Getrag that you will often miss 3rd if you try to 'find' it by simply shifting up and over from 2nd, the way we've always done. I think a lot of folks problems begin here...especially when they're getting on it.

have to let the spring take the shifter to center

I push forward out or 2 with an open hand, pause briefly and continue forward into 3 with an open hand

When I pull back to 4 I still keep a loose grip to prevent any inclination of pulling the shifter from one side to the other

And like mentioned, I've found there's almost not enough disengagement w/the clutch...gotta depress the pedal fully, everytime

And also like I mentioned, when in either outside pair of gates you've got to properly counter that centering spring every time...shifting down to 3 when you intend to go to 5 can be a little exciting.

these are the driving familiaraties Ford is referring to

not saying there aren't any issues w/some transmissions, but that there aren't with mine and many many others

and I think the bs you read on the forums gets folks all worked up and they start imagining things, when combined with not understanding all I've written above regarding this shifter and clutch

btw, I love the Challenger too, but the RT8's a whole lot more money and this will out perform it, especially in the twisties...and I'm also a big Steve McQueen fan
Old 12/1/11, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Gents and thank-you, too, Kyle. But my points weren't discussed in the stickied thread. A fair portion of that one is countering an old fart trashing the transmission who doesn't even own one. Why I posted this here.

Yes, definitely agree! This is one of the few posts I've seen that discusses IN DETAIL the shifting action. In my short time with using a 5-speed vs the 6-speed in the 2 manuals, there is a definite difference.
Old 12/1/11, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

the gates are so tight on the Getrag that you will often miss 3rd if you try to 'find' it by simply shifting up and over from 2nd, the way we've always done. I think a lot of folks problems begin here...especially when they're getting on it.

I push forward out or 2 with an open hand, pause briefly and continue forward into 3 with an open hand

When I pull back to 4 I still keep a loose grip to prevent any inclination of pulling the shifter from one side to the other

And like mentioned, I've found there's almost not enough disengagement w/the clutch...gotta depress the pedal fully, everytime

And also like I mentioned, when in either outside pair of gates you've got to properly counter that centering spring every time...shifting down to 3 when you intend to go to 5 can be a little exciting.

not saying there aren't any issues w/some transmissions, but that there aren't with mine and many many others

and I think the bs you read on the forums gets folks all worked up and they start imagining things, when combined with not understanding all I've written above regarding this shifter and clutch

btw, I love the Challenger too, but the RT8's a whole lot more money and this will out perform it, especially in the twisties...and I'm also a big Steve McQueen fan
Well done! One of the other considerations here is that the car has the same space to fit the shifter mechanism for a 6-speed as for the previous 5-speed. The remote linkage set-up has got to be well-seated in order to not move around, especially with the engine action.

Other six-speed cars I have driven have seemed more challenging because of the spacing as well. I did not drive them long enough to have it be second nature for me. I definitely had to concentrate more.
Old 12/1/11, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for your explanation and I understand better now what you were getting at.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault