Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Ford has officially responded to the NHTSA investigation of the Mustang's MT82 6-speed transmission:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

Thoughts? Did they not do enough or do you think their response is reasonable?
Old 11/9/11, 08:59 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There were issues...they were responded to.

Its not as widespread as forums and people would indicate.
Old 11/9/11, 09:10 AM
GT Member

Wow, some people with issues are not going to like that Ford attributes some of the problems to Driver Error. I completely agree, it took me several months to get used to the narrower gates of my '11 compared to my '06. Just saying, others suggesting Driver Error have been chased out of "other" forums/threads...
Old 11/9/11, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol @ "influence of online forums"
Old 11/9/11, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All I know is, with the number of video clips I have seen on Youtube and other places, it seems like a lot of owners beat the crap out of their cars...there is a big difference between getting on it and beating the crap out of it. Why I bought a new one, unless I knew the owner I would never buy a used Mustang...just an old guys opinion....
Old 11/9/11, 10:14 AM
I Have No Life

I love how some people automatically dismiss driver error....
Don't assume people know how to drive, or do things right.hahah.
Old 11/9/11, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Issues where addressed- i didnt think it was widespread as some thought...can this just die now.
Old 11/9/11, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

What does driver error have to do with gears grinding, broken teeth, missing second gear that makes the shifter pop out like a slingshot on a brand new car with 200 miles on it without ever goin over 50mph have anything to do with driver error or abuse?

Nothing. Of course Ford will downplay the problem. Who the hell would admit actual numbers to lose millions of dollars to the company? I will only respec a report that comes from a third party as the conduct an unbiased report. Not....this
Old 11/9/11, 10:28 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
There were issues...they were responded to.

Its not as widespread as forums and people would indicate.
Right.

Influence of Online Forums:
Base on the review of comments in social media resources, it is reasonable to conclude that online forums can significantly influence the numbers and nature of concerns reported to both Ford and the agency. In particular, participants in one blog not only advocated contacting either Ford or the agency to gain attention to the matter, but also suggested the type of information that should be included in their contacts. One forum observed by Ford included guidance to make sure to explain how their concern was a “safety issue”.

Right. I was amazed at the number of posts that frankly don't know how to shift.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11/9/11, 10:31 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Black_5.0
Of course Ford will downplay the problem. Who the hell would admit actual numbers to lose millions of dollars to the company? I will only respec a report that comes from a third party as the conduct an unbiased report. Not....this
With the government agency breathing down their neck? Are you serious??
Old 11/9/11, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Buh, Buh, But I have 30 years experience with a manual... /sarc. LOL.

But in all seriousness, do we expect anything less? America is becoming the standard for blame others and refuse responsibility. There is a new thread on AFM about Ford's response and people are claiming that Ford is lying about the 3% of transmissions with issues. It (the MT82 situation) was rediculous, but it is now reaching a never before seen level of ignorance...
Old 11/9/11, 10:34 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right.
Anyone have any numbers to indicate otherwise?

What does driver error have to do with gears grinding, broken teeth, missing second gear that makes the shifter pop out like a slingshot on a brand new car with 200 miles on it without ever goin over 50mph have anything to do with driver error or abuse?
Who's to say they didn't beat the **** out of their car?
Everyones honest...of course..and is an absolute expert at driving stick and NEVER abuses their cars..nooooo

I'm not saying there weren't problems... cause obviously there were.
Its like someone self diagnosing their health....if you go on the internet, you'll find the symptoms...and well you know the rest.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/9/11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11/9/11, 10:38 AM
GT Member

[QUOTE=Nothing. Of course Ford will downplay the problem. Who the hell would admit actual numbers to lose millions of dollars to the company? I will only respec a report that comes from a third party as the conduct an unbiased report. Not....this[/QUOTE]

And here we go. Maybe Ford would not lie because doing so would mean lying to the imperial federal government. In case you are not aware, that would be bad...
Old 11/9/11, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Lol like government agencies don't have big boys behind them. Just look at the FDA and how many mishaps they had. Hell, even the NHTSA ignored the pinto claims and refused to call it a safety issues until people started to die. Yeah, Ford would be honest with them.

As for Boomer, you assume just like Ford assumes. Thats all, assumptions. I know for a fact how I drove my car and how it crapped out. I dont need to convience anyone else otherwise. But you know how Ford will know? When they start losing customers since theyre the only ones that know first hand how crappy the issue was. Thats 40k out of their pocket per individual. That will hurt. And blaming drivers is laughable. Its a freaking shifter not a space rocket. How difficult is it to get a gear in a gate. But yall buy it so be with it. No point in arguinst with loyalists.
Old 11/9/11, 10:44 AM
V6 Member

And if you dont follow things lately, people and corporations lie to the government all the time. Hell, even the government lies to the people more than anyone.
Old 11/9/11, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th Gear Problems:
Some of the customer feedback received by Ford alleged “grinding into gear” or “notchiness” during shifting not caused by the previous problems. Ford investigations identified some component quality issues relating to the synchronizers for fifth gear.
Solution:
Corrective action was taken
What corrective action was that?

I have the 5th gear syncro grind and am debating bringing it in.

EDIT: Apparently it was this?

09/07/2010: Changed 5th/6th gear surface finish
Addresses grinding during 5th gear shifts

My car was built in April, but I still have the grind? Wonder if I have an old trans.

Last edited by LEwis26; 11/9/11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11/9/11, 10:54 AM
I Have No Life

As for Boomer, you assume just like Ford assumes. Thats all, assumptions. I know for a fact how I drove my car and how it crapped out. .
You are also making assumptions.
I also don't assume to know how you drive.... and you'd be naive to think that everyone else does too.
Old 11/9/11, 11:05 AM
Post *****

Read the full report. Man they are thorough - down to pointing out one very vocal person on several forums.
Ford catalogued numerous interactions - their own feedback efforts with a new vehicle, Dealers, social media, forums, complaints & repairs, etc.
I love how one guy claimed trans problems - because it was stuck in 1st and somehow that caused an accident - but no further repairs, accident reports, insurance claims have been recorded for that VIN.

Solutions:

A) If you have a problem, take it to your Dealer until it is fixed.
B) Learn how to shift with narrow gates. Let the detents do their job. Learn to feel your shift instead of cram your shift.
C) Don't beat the hell out of your car - esp when its cold.
D) Return to camaro5 and stay there rather than posting phony complaints about "your Mustang".

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11/9/11, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Read the report. Man they are thorough - down to pointing out one very vocal person on several forums.
Ford catalogued numerous interactions - their own efforts with a new vehicle, Dealers, social media, forums, complaints & repairs, etc.
I love how one guy claimed trans problems - because it was stuck in 1st and somehow that caused an accident - but no further repairs, accident reports, insurance claims have been recorded.

Solutions:

A) If you have a problem, take it to your Dealer until it is fixed.
B) Learn how to shift with narrow gates. Let the detents do their job. Learn to feel your shift instead of cram your shift.
C) Don't beat the hell out of your car - esp when its cold.
D) Return to camaro5 and stay there rather than posting phony complaints about "your Mustang".
+1
Old 11/9/11, 11:15 AM
GT Member

And if you dont follow things lately, people and corporations lie to the government all the time. Hell, even the government lies to the people more than anyone.
I want you to find ONE example of a major private company (Fortune 500, etc...) LYING to the Federal Government or one of it's agencies, and either not getting caught or not facing severe monetary or criminal actions. Just one will do... I will wait.

Also, it is not illegal for the government to lie to us, but it is illegal for us to lie to the government. Just food for thought...

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault