Sponsored By:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 01:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
Driver error? How convienent. You know, I dont doubt that in some cases. They have forgotton about my generation that grew up on straight shifts. I learned on a 67 Ford with three on the tree. Manuals were common place back in the day. Now a days they are not. I have drove everything from dump trucks to motorcycles.

Dont dare tell me I dont know how to drive a manual transmission. I know junk when I drive it. I have had countless ones under my belt along with numerous motorcycles including a current Harley Davidson. I have NEVER EVER tore out a clutch or damaged a transmission in many makes.

The shear amount of revisions says a lot. What have you bought lately from China that you could say was really a high quality item? I cant name a single item.

Everybody has an opinion and mine is that this is a sub standard transmission at best. Ford cut a corner for cost. The 5 liter is awesome and the car is fabulous imo but I will never ever trust the MT 82. I have no desire to own one because of this at nearly any price. I may not be alone because sales just suck when its a better car than the Camaro.

Its not talked about much but I betcha
the MT82 is costing Ford sales and that is just a shame. Its so much better than the Camaro. You know, Im just disappointed in Ford for this mess. I do bleed Ford blue but sometimes you have to realize the obvious.

There is not a new Mustang in my future anytime soon sadly. I just have lost a lot of confidence in Ford.
oh looks its the sales guru. What where sales again? numbers please.. and you spread shett them against the number ford though it was going to make? since you know all the numbers and can tell from that mighty office chair.

Just because you could drive a stick in a car 50 years ago has nothing to do with a car today. end of story... end of story.

pretty much everything you buy in walmart or in most stores is made in china. Get with the times.. America is not what ti used to be and china has up its game.. they offer cheap labor and dirt cheap prices. The chinese work force has world class training and the USA hasnt bothered to meet the challenge.

I am not saying do not buy American.. I am saying get with the times.
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love how all the people ripping on the 'don't tell me how to drive'/'driver error' think its about them...
And it may be...maybe you just don't know
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_5.0
Cdyna,
Brother - if it were me, and if what you are saying is absolutely true - incl a Ford engineer driving your car with you - and still didn't get a resolution from my Dealer... I'd be all over certified mail direct to CEO Mulally. I'd wage war - professionally - direct with the CEO. And with the release of this report, you have even more evidence to twist Mulally's arm - "you fixed other people's, why not mine!". If his office ignores you, then local paper, mag rags, etc., with documentation that Ford's CEO has ignored fixing a legitimate malfunction.

So I'm not buying.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 01:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its funny how guilty people are always the first to speak up and YELL "NOT ME, COULDNT BE"
Old 11/9/11, 01:36 PM
Post *****

What have you bought lately from China that you could say was really a high quality item? I cant name a single item.
Who do you think made the bulk of the solar cells & wind turbines that are now online producing power? That's just two.

This is a Getrag transmission - you think they purposely shot themselves in the foot? You are forgetting that the Mexican Tremec has occasionally had issues too - that were identified and fixed.

Welcome to one worlder economy. My Bullitt is USA/Mexico/Canada. And no doubt plenty of Asian parts, pieces, and chips.

Ford cut a corner for cost.
No they didn't. They made a strategic move in order to get a piece of the 1.3 billion person market. China - being smarter than D.C. morons - require a significant investment in their economy if you want to profit from their economy.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you talking about? A couple of revisions for a new release is absolutely normal.
More than just of a couple. Get your facts straight. This is your kool aid.

04/26/2010: Revised Clutch Pedal Return Spring
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

01/07/2011: Revised Clutch Spring Finger Height
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

10/19/2010: Revised fastener/thread locker
Addresses clutch fastener back out

09/07/2010: Changed 5th/6th gear surface finish
Addresses grinding during 5th gear shifts

07/25/2011: Added phosphate coating to gears
Reduces gear noise

07/25/2011: Lower viscosity lubricant
To reduce shift effort in all temps

08/31/2011: Changed clearance between 2nd gear friction ring & cone
Resolve ring to gear face contact and gear clash

02/25/2011: Fourth gear weld incomplete during production
Process verification to ensure complete gear welding

07/01/2011: Vehicle message center
Extended skip-shift illumination time so drivers aware of engagement
Old 11/9/11, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those of you who are stubborn and keep saying that this is BS, please, just stop. If you're too stubborn to follow Ford's recommendations, there's nothing any forum can do for you. If they've told you to file lemon law, then do so. If not, take it to the dealer, escalate it through proper channels, and the issues should be taken care of.

Here's some food for thought:
29,807 MT-82 equipped 2011 and 2012 Mustangs built (as of the report)
3% experienced issues = 895 vehicles
--of those--
44% (394) complained about cold weather shifting, which resulted in fluid being changed
24% (215) reported clutch stayout issues, which was resolved mid-2011

286 cars reported other issues.

The PDF is linked at the bottom of the MD article. Here's the link to it directly:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-con...a-response.pdf

It's a long read, but I think it's definitely worth it for those of you who feel like there's something to hide.

Oh, and please stop beating the "it's made in China, so it's crap" boat. If you don't like the car and don't care to buy one, stop making your point known. The dead horse has been beat to a pulp over and over again.
Old 11/9/11, 01:46 PM
Post *****

More than just of a couple.
That's nothing Mr. Chevy. For a brand new manufactured trans? Never before released to the all-wise, all-knowing, all-perfect race car driving public??
And 3 are clutch - not trans.

Look up Tremec history. And why did the TR3650 have issues in 01 again after it had been out for some time?

You can't expect what you don't inspect - whether its made in US, Mexico, or China. And from the report, Ford was on top of monitoring from day one. You can't learn of potential issues in general usage until you put the product out there.

And I think its hilarious you included the last one.

07/01/2011: Vehicle message center
Extended skip-shift illumination time so drivers aware of engagement

Originally Posted by Overboost
3% experienced issues = 895 vehicles
I'm sure they would have preferred 0%, but that is not realistic. Only 3%/895 is just a handful and I'd bet from the newest one's off the line.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Did anyone really expect a different outcome?
Old 11/9/11, 01:52 PM
GT Member

chevys,
Are you an engineer? Do you work in manufacturing? I do, and we routinely have 3 or 4 revisions to drafts of turbines we make ALL THE TIME. Drafts... before machining of the part even starts. Do not make comments about things you know nothing about, it makes you look ignorant.

*****WAIT!!!!! I forgot, this is the internet. That means you are an engineer, do work in manufacturing (or a relative or friend does) and are 100% qualified to comment. Please continue...
Old 11/9/11, 01:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how Ford basically said what I and several other level-headed posters have been saying all along.

Old 11/9/11, 02:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 Mustang had 127 TSBs listed.
Must have been crap...

Just as a note...2010 Camaro has 658 entries
Although many are duplicates.
I'd say theres anywhere from 200-250.
Old 11/9/11, 02:03 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Boomer
2005 Mustang had 127 TSBs listed.
Must have been crap...

Just as a note...2010 Camaro has 658 entries
Although many are duplicates.
I'd say theres anywhere from 200-250.
Nice!

btw, how do you keep that 05 bucket of bolts on the road??
Old 11/9/11, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
chevys,
Are you an engineer? Do you work in manufacturing? I do, and we routinely have 3 or 4 revisions to drafts of turbines we make ALL THE TIME. Drafts... before machining of the part even starts. Do not make comments about things you know nothing about, it makes you look ignorant.

*****WAIT!!!!! I forgot, this is the internet. That means you are an engineer, do work in manufacturing (or a relative or friend does) and are 100% qualified to comment. Please continue...
Your point it taken. I am not an engineer. Why does the Mustang manual have so many complaints and why when I test drove one did it shift rough as hell? It was terrible. A fluke maybe?

If your so smart then tell me. These cars are marked for ever for China junk transmissions like it or not. The resale imo has tanked.
Old 11/9/11, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Why does the Mustang manual have so many complaints

3%. That means 97% did not have any trans issues. You are fabricating.

If your so smart then tell me.
rofl You shouldn't have lifted your dress. Now we all know you're just PMSing and have zero basis in fact.

You aren't the person that shall not be named re-registered under a different name are you?

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 02:48 PM
GTR Member

Your point it taken. I am not an engineer. Why does the Mustang manual have so many complaints and why when I test drove one did it shift rough as hell? It was terrible. A fluke maybe?

If your so smart then tell me. These cars are marked for ever for China junk transmissions like it or not. The resale imo has tanked.
Wow, talk about an uninformed opinion. Go look around and these cars are still holding their value as well as a Camaro or Challenger. You're all about the "Chinese junk" you keep bringing up. Who cares! If you don't like it, don't buy one!
Old 11/9/11, 02:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't be pissed at the Chinese for building them. Be pissed at ford for the American jobs lost because they decided to go overseas for them. The same trans built in the U.S. would have had the same engineering issues.
Old 11/9/11, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Black_5.0
What does driver error have to do with gears grinding, broken teeth, missing second gear that makes the shifter pop out like a slingshot on a brand new car with 200 miles on it without ever goin over 50mph have anything to do with driver error or abuse?

Nothing. Of course Ford will downplay the problem. Who the hell would admit actual numbers to lose millions of dollars to the company? I will only respec a report that comes from a third party as the conduct an unbiased report. Not....this

Black 5.0 sounds like Jmatero in disguise. Welcome back oh great mt82 hate spreader. I knew you wouldn't be gone forever.
Old 11/9/11, 03:08 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Don't be pissed at the Chinese for building them. Be pissed at ford for the American jobs lost because they decided to go overseas for them.

No American jobs were lost with the Getrag. Mexican jobs were.

And how many US Ford jobs are added managing/overseeing the Getrag trans plant? And now the TWO engine factories by Ford in China? How many US support jobs will that create when fully operational?
Old 11/9/11, 03:12 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
Issues where addressed- i didnt think it was widespread as some thought...can this just die now.
You know, reflecting on the many previous threads about the issue, if there was a weak link in reporting/responding to the early complaints, it was with Ford's Dealer network.

But now they are informed with TSB's, and now we have Deysha online.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault