2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 11:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people are going to take this report and disregard it. I'm glad to see that Ford published everything. There's a 77 page PDF of every detail if you have time to read it. My particular favorite bit is on page 19.
Attached Thumbnails Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-jmatero.jpg  
Old 11/9/11, 12:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overboost,

Thats bs. I met with the engineer who acknowledged the problem but they told me that no solution was available at that time. Also, I was told by the service manager that they cant do anything to fix it and just to file a lemon law. Somones lying here and it sure isnt me.
Old 11/9/11, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Overboost
Some people are going to take this report and disregard it. I'm glad to see that Ford published everything. There's a 77 page PDF of every detail if you have time to read it. My particular favorite bit is on page 19.
Where is the PDF?
Curious and would love to read the findings.
Old 11/9/11, 12:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_5.0
Also, I was told by the service manager that they cant do anything to fix it and just to file a lemon law.
So do it then & quit bytchin.
Old 11/9/11, 12:18 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by ~SMOKE~
Where is the PDF?
Curious and would love to read the findings.
It's linked off the article.
Old 11/9/11, 12:26 PM
V6 Member

Also, just to end this debate with loyalists....

I wouldnt be "bytching" as you call it if Ford fixed my problem. I dont think any of the disgruntled owners would file with NHTSA or complain unless Ford stepped up and did their job. You see all of those revisions they did? They dont mean jack crap. None of those solved the problems im having or the problems others are still having. The average customer doesnt care if the car has issues as long as ford fixes the problem. This hasnt been the case hence the people "bytching" and going to NHTSA since Ford has no clue what theyre doing. None of the individuals with serious transmisson problems are reporting fixes by Ford. Sure theyre replacing new parts etc but its not a fix!
Old 11/9/11, 12:39 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Black_5.0
Also, just to end this debate with loyalists....

I wouldnt be "bytching" as you call it if Ford fixed my problem. I dont think any of the disgruntled owners would file with NHTSA or complain unless Ford stepped up and did their job. You see all of those revisions they did? They dont mean jack crap. None of those solved the problems im having or the problems others are still having. The average customer doesnt care if the car has issues as long as ford fixes the problem. This hasnt been the case hence the people "bytching" and going to NHTSA since Ford has no clue what theyre doing. None of the individuals with serious transmisson problems are reporting fixes by Ford. Sure theyre replacing new parts etc but its not a fix!
I don't believe you. Ford can replace the tranny or you can file and get your money back.
Its just a machine. Machines can be fixed. And sometimes new machines have some issues. Or replace the machine as (allegedly) advised. Done deal.

And as noted, many people filed "as instructed" by the "person that shall not be named" - incl specifically mentioning "safety issue". Because many sheeple on the internet claim problems after someone else does and put the thought in their feeble mind - when in fact there are not problems with the machines for the most part - only problems with unbelievably stupid "drivers". Many complained about stiff shifting in cold weather - ALL tranny's are stiff in cold weather!! Get a freakin' auto for god sakes! Or a Prius.

And for the extreme minority that actually had issues - Ford has bent over backwards tracking, correcting - in some cases attempting to correct but the complainer crawled back to their hole.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/9/11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

with all do respect to everyone saying "learn how to drive stick"

every car i've had since 17 has been a stick.. and i learned to drive one when i was 15..

Not being able to get a car in ANY GEAR when at a complete stop and clutch to the floor, for the first 10 min of the car driving in colder temps.. is not me having trouble finding the gates.. cause after 10-15 min all is fine.. i suppose you could say i forget every morning where the gates are and suddenly remember after 15min.. (detect sarcasm? good cause it was laid on pretty thick)

my shifter vibrating in my hand in 3rd gear ONLY.. is again something i'm doing (sarcasm)

occasional grind (clatter) from second gear, is again i'm doing it i forgot how to shift..(sarcasm)

i have never had a transmission act like this.. even my old T-5 , t-10, and tremecs, the tremec did grind ONCE in a great while in really cold temps right aftger i pulled it out of the driveway on the first shift.. but that was extremely rare.. and only 1 shift.. never had an issue finding any gears HOT or COLD..

my previous cars were driven extremly hard daily, and at the track almost every weekend.. and never had the issues this 2011 is giving me tranmission wise..

my 2011.. been to the track 2 times.. and is babied everywhere else..
Old 11/9/11, 12:53 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by pony racer
with all do respect to everyone saying "learn how to drive stick"

every car i've had since 17 has been a stick.. and i learned to drive one when i was 15..

Not being able to get a car in ANY GEAR when at a complete stop and clutch to the floor, for the first 10 min of the car driving in colder temps.. is not me having trouble finding the gates.. cause after 10-15 min all is fine.. i suppose you could say i forget every morning where the gates are and suddenly remember after 15min.. (detect sarcasm? good cause it was laid on pretty thick)

my shifter vibrating in my hand in 3rd gear ONLY.. is again something i'm doing (sarcasm)

occasional grind (clatter) from second gear, is again i'm doing it i forgot how to shift..(sarcasm)

i have never had a transmission act like this.. even my old T-5 , t-10, and tremecs, the tremec did grind ONCE in a great while in really cold temps right aftger i pulled it out of the driveway on the first shift.. but that was extremely rare.. and only 1 shift.. never had an issue finding any gears HOT or COLD..

my previous cars were driven extremly hard daily, and at the track almost every weekend.. and never had the issues this 2011 is giving me tranmission wise..

my 2011.. been to the track 2 times.. and is babied everywhere else..
You guys make no sense. Get it FIXED!

And new trans shift much closer than old trans so learning at 15 doesn't mean anything. Unless you're 16 now.

Every trans I've had occassionally won't go in gear at cold start up. So you let the clutch out in neutral to spin the gears and then re-shift. Duh.

But if you actually are having mechanical issues - Get it FIXED.

You are making absolute fools out of your secretary selves by continuing to whine like little girls that broke a nail rather than learning your machine and/or getting an actual issue repaired.
Old 11/9/11, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

it been to the dealer 3 times for those same exact issues they said its all normal..

NORMAL FOR A TRANSMISSION TO VIBRATE IN 3RD GEAR..
Old 11/9/11, 01:00 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Clutch Stayout Problems:

Approximately 24 percent of the reports refer to an issue identified by Ford as "clutch stayout" where the rotating inertia of the clutch components can be higher than the spring force provided by the clutch pedal return spring when gears are shifted at engine speeds greater than approximately 4,000 rpm. Under these conditions the clutch will reengage when engine rpm is reduced to a speed where the clutch pedal return spring overcomes the rotating inertia of the clutch components. This condition does not prevent selection of any gear.

Solution:

An investigation into the root cause of these reports identified that variability in the spring forces in the population of clutch pedal return springs allowed some springs to be below the expected force values and allow the condition to occur. Replacement clutch pedal parts were made available and a revised spring design has been implemented.

For the record, I called this one. Weak OEM clutch.
Old 11/9/11, 01:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I kid...i kid...
Attached Thumbnails Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault-motivatore733343b90d4aca62339d6784b75d70312c71ca8.jpg  
Old 11/9/11, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You did.
Old 11/9/11, 01:12 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Boomer

I kid...i kid...
Old 11/9/11, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you Ford for calling out these people parading around the internet like a prophet. I admit the "Shift Quality" is quirky but in the end if it doesn't effect the performance of this beast why should I really even care about it.

Now back to ripping gears!!!
Old 11/9/11, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Driver error? How convienent. You know, I dont doubt that in some cases. They have forgotton about my generation that grew up on straight shifts. I learned on a 67 Ford with three on the tree. Manuals were common place back in the day. Now a days they are not. I have drove everything from dump trucks to motorcycles.

Dont dare tell me I dont know how to drive a manual transmission. I know junk when I drive it. I have had countless ones under my belt along with numerous motorcycles including a current Harley Davidson. I have NEVER EVER tore out a clutch or damaged a transmission in many makes.

The shear amount of revisions says a lot. What have you bought lately from China that you could say was really a high quality item? I cant name a single item.

Everybody has an opinion and mine is that this is a sub standard transmission at best. Ford cut a corner for cost. The 5 liter is awesome and the car is fabulous imo but I will never ever trust the MT 82. I have no desire to own one because of this at nearly any price. I may not be alone because sales just suck when its a better car than the Camaro.

Its not talked about much but I betcha
the MT82 is costing Ford sales and that is just a shame. Its so much better than the Camaro. You know, Im just disappointed in Ford for this mess. I do bleed Ford blue but sometimes you have to realize the obvious.

There is not a new Mustang in my future anytime soon sadly. I just have lost a lot of confidence in Ford.
Old 11/9/11, 01:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Clutch Stayout Problems:

Approximately 24 percent of the reports refer to an issue identified by Ford as "clutch stayout" where the rotating inertia of the clutch components can be higher than the spring force provided by the clutch pedal return spring when gears are shifted at engine speeds greater than approximately 4,000 rpm. Under these conditions the clutch will reengage when engine rpm is reduced to a speed where the clutch pedal return spring overcomes the rotating inertia of the clutch components. This condition does not prevent selection of any gear.

Solution:

An investigation into the root cause of these reports identified that variability in the spring forces in the population of clutch pedal return springs allowed some springs to be below the expected force values and allow the condition to occur. Replacement clutch pedal parts were made available and a revised spring design has been implemented.

Thats about the only issue Ive had with my car, over 4K I have a hard time engaging gears. Next spring I just might have them look into it.
Old 11/9/11, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

Cdyna,

You seriously have no clue, do you. We tried to get it fixed!!! Mine has been at the dealer four times already. Lemon law takes up to a year and some to get it done. Its not an easy process. None of us would complain if there was a freaking fix. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend??? Go to your local ford dealer and talk to advisors. Theres only 1 TSB out and thats to change the fluid. That doesnt do squat. They swap te tranny thinking that does it. No it doesnt, issues came back. On top of that, we have now transmission whine do to the ligter fluid that we never had before. You really think we enjoy crying and whining? I got better crap to do with my time. Im pissed I paid 40k and I cannot enjoy my car like those without issues. And i would never file with nhtsa if there was a proper fix. Ford bent over to help? No. They took their time to downplay this and spin it around to blame the owners. Yet we still drive crappy cars that who knows when something will break so we cant drive it at all.
Old 11/9/11, 01:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by chevys
The shear amount of revisions says a lot.
What are you talking about? A couple of revisions for a new release is absolutely normal.

You know, Im just disappointed in Ford for this mess.
Are you kidding me? Look at how much they have spent in documenting and monitoring their new release - from Day 1 - before the person that shall not be named started a government inquiry. And creating a department and paying staff to read the pro's/con's and the lies on the internet to flesh out fantasy/hype from mechanical reality.

I just have lost a lot of confidence in Ford.
Keep drinking that kool-aid.
Old 11/9/11, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Keep drinking that kool-aid.

Quick Reply: Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation/MT-82 problems: your fault