2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/16, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Got the letter from Ford a couple of days ago that the parts are in for the drivers airbag. Taking it in on the 18th for that fix. They told me that the airbag they put in back in March of 2015 was only a temporary fix. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get a letter that the parts are in for the passenger airbag.
Old 7/14/16, 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It took a week but I had my recall done today. I'm pretty happy.
Old 7/15/16, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got second letter on the '08, part ordered, waiting for dealer to receive.
Old 7/15/16, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got mine replaced at the dealer this morning (2012 model). They only replace the inflator (not the whole airbag).

I got my car used (with a small dent in the Mustang logo) and had been hoping to get a shiny new airbag module to replace it, but no dice. It looks exactly the same. The only difference is that I now have a receipt from the dealer confirming that recall 15S21 has been completed on my car.
Old 8/2/16, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

My dealer ordered mine from my VIN about 6 weeks ago. They called me last week, and said it was in. Took it in for the install last Friday. The tech that installed it checked his computer right after the install, and this is what he saw.

Guess I am waiting again.

Last edited by mustangjack; 8/2/16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 8/3/16, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah major bummer...
Originally Posted by mustangjack
My dealer ordered mine from my VIN about 6 weeks ago. They called me last week, and said it was in. Took it in for the install last Friday. The tech that installed it checked his computer right after the install, and this is what he saw.

Guess I am waiting again.
Old 8/3/16, 06:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
lol, glad I never brought mine in.
Old 8/5/16, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

'08 driver's side replaced this morning. In and out in 30 min.
Old 8/10/16, 10:08 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Dealer just called. My air bag canister is in and i'll have it done this Friday at 9:00. It took around 41 days for it to arrive, after it was ordered
Old 8/10/16, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Dealer just called. My air bag canister is in and i'll have it done this Friday at 9:00. It took around 41 days for it to arrive, after it was ordered
You sure this is the correct airbag? No more recalls after airbag installed?
Old 8/10/16, 01:41 PM

Airbag not available until 4th quarter 2016?

Just had my inflator replaced in my 2012 GT. Only took a 1/2hr. The problem is that the mechanic scratched the heck out of the pony emblem in the middle of the airbag. The dealer says that they can't just replace the emblem and need to replace the whole airbag and that Ford is redesigning the airbag and it won't be available until 4th quarter 2016. I said that's hard to believe because what if I got in an accident and the airbag went off?? They said that you wouldn't be able to drive the car until the airbag comes in in the 4th quarter. Has anyone heard this before?
Old 8/10/16, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mac20614
Just had my inflator replaced in my 2012 GT. Only took a 1/2hr. The problem is that the mechanic scratched the heck out of the pony emblem in the middle of the airbag. The dealer says that they can't just replace the emblem and need to replace the whole airbag and that Ford is redesigning the airbag and it won't be available until 4th quarter 2016. I said that's hard to believe because what if I got in an accident and the airbag went off?? They said that you wouldn't be able to drive the car until the airbag comes in in the 4th quarter. Has anyone heard this before?
Dumbasses. This is why I hate letting mechanics touch my car. Would it have been that difficult to put the airbag on a cloth so he did not scratch it while he swapped out the inflater?
Old 8/10/16, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JonsMustang
You sure this is the correct airbag? No more recalls after airbag installed?
I sure hope so. Its the canister, the air bag is fine. The service manager that called me had a recall on his recalled air canister last year. His Mustang is a 05-09, i'm not sure what year his Mustang is.
Old 8/12/16, 08:34 AM

Dealer replaced my inflator this morning. Took around 30 minutes . He told me to not be surprised if i get a recall notice for the passenger side soon .
Old 8/12/16, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Well that sucks...hope they are going to replace your emblem.

I'll be covering mine with Styrofoam.
Old 8/19/16, 08:14 PM

The dealer says that they can't just replace the emblem and need to replace the whole airbag and that Ford is redesigning the airbag and it won't be available until 4th quarter 2016. I said that's hard to believe because what if I got in an accident and the airbag went off?? They said that you wouldn't be able to drive the car until the airbag comes in in the 4th quarter. Has anyone heard this before?
This is very much true, as I'm stuck in this situation at the moment.

I took my car to the body shop to fix the driver side airbag that deployed due to a small fender bender at the end of June,
two weeks later i get a call saying the air bag is "back ordered" from the body shop. I went ahead an called some dealerships and they all told me the same thing.
So now I can't have my car back due to the fact it's unsafe to drive.
They also said it's being redesigned and there's no ETA at the moment.
Someone else told me 1-6 months.
It's very frustrating sense I'm paying for the car & insurance that I CAN'T drive.

p.s. Ford customer service is useless. I've spoken to them 7 times and they have no clue about the airbag. only recall 15S21 & 16S26.
They just keep connecting me to my local dealerships just to be told what I already new...then the dealership forwards me back to customer service. total BS.
Old 8/20/16, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by StangDude25

I took my car to the body shop to fix the driver side airbag that deployed due to a small fender bender at the end of June,
two weeks later i get a call saying the air bag is "back ordered" from the body shop. I went ahead an called some dealerships and they all told me the same thing.
It's very frustrating sense I'm paying for the car & insurance that I CAN'T drive.

p.s. Ford customer service is useless. I've spoken to them 7 times and they have no clue about the airbag. only recall 15S21 & 16S26.
They just keep connecting me to my local dealerships just to be told what I already new...then the dealership forwards me back to customer service. total BS.

I can see this happening . Make sure one is ordered because it took 41 days for my recall inflator to come in.
Old 8/20/16, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have been doing some research and can find no law that prohibits driving a vehicle with deployed or disabled airbags. There are laws against mechanics disabling safety features (including airbags of course) and against selling a vehicle with disabled airbags without proper notice to the buyer but nothing about an owner disabling their own airbag or driving after an airbag deployment.

I recommend you check with your local law enforcement but be sure to have them quote a specific law because many think it's illegal but have no specific law they can point to that actually says so. If in doubt, ask a lawyer. If there is no such law in your area, present that information to the body shop and get your car released.
Old 8/20/16, 06:07 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by StangDude25

So are they providing you with a rental car in the mean time? I would be furious if it's waiting that long for one part!!!
Old 8/20/16, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

The local dealership in Penticton, B.C. Canada advised me that Ford only allows the dealership to get one airbag part per week for the recall. When I called after getting the second recall notice (first recall notice Takata did not have the parts) I was told that I would be on a waiting list as there were two more customers a head of me. I have two S197's so I had double the pleasure of the waiting list.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall