Search this Thread

Old 7/28/15, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I thought the high humidity thing was found to not be true
Old 7/28/15, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We have 5 cars in our family. Most of them are affected by this recall. The Mazda dealer told my son it could take 11 months to get the replacement parts. That was 4 months ago. Also if you pay attention to the news, there have been reports that up to 400K of the replacement inflators are defective as well. So peeps are getting recall notices for replacement of the replacement.
Old 7/28/15, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Airbag Recall

Wow their defects are fixed with defects how are they still in business.
Old 7/28/15, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
Wow their defects are fixed with defects how are they still in business.
Takata has f**ked up big time. But they are still in business because they have a big share of the airbag market. There aren't enough other airbag manufacturers with the capacity to replace them if they went out of business. But that is slowly starting to change.
Old 7/28/15, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
We have 5 cars in our family. Most of them are affected by this recall. The Mazda dealer told my son it could take 11 months to get the replacement parts. That was 4 months ago. Also if you pay attention to the news, there have been reports that up to 400K of the replacement inflators are defective as well. So peeps are getting recall notices for replacement of the replacement.
One word: appalling
Old 7/29/15, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by iceD
One word: appalling
Yep...but no company on Earth is equipped to suddenly produce 20 million new airbags so it is what it is.
Old 7/29/15, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my letter today. Im tempted to just unplug the D**n thing. Hitting the wheel in the event of a crash seems less deadly than being hit by the grenade these things turn into. Sometimes I really wonder about the "safety" devices on modern cars. I feel much safer in my 83 f150 all steel and no bogus safety issues.
Old 7/29/15, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Yep...but no company on Earth is equipped to suddenly produce 20 million new airbags so it is what it is.
Takata said that they will produce 1 million bags a month. Which means it will take upto 20 months to replace the defective air bags. That's 1 year and 8 months. It's not "years and years" like they are saying it is. I'm sure if they bump up their production to 2 million airbags a month, all this will be resolved soon enough. Idk what's going on in ford or in takata, but this needs to be fixed soon. Or they will lose more money by the people who sue them than they already are..
Old 7/29/15, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Airbag Recall

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
I got my letter today. Im tempted to just unplug the D**n thing. Hitting the wheel in the event of a crash seems less deadly than being hit by the grenade these things turn into. Sometimes I really wonder about the "safety" devices on modern cars. I feel much safer in my 83 f150 all steel and no bogus safety issues.
I don't know about your 83 F-150, but I am tempted to unplug mine too. Unfortunately tampering with or removing an airbag is a felony. How about that eh? If you unplug or remove your airbag and drive your car on the street, if caught you could go to jail.
Old 7/29/15, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by iceD
Takata said that they will produce 1 million bags a month. Which means it will take upto 20 months to replace the defective air bags. That's 1 year and 8 months. It's not "years and years" like they are saying it is. I'm sure if they bump up their production to 2 million airbags a month, all this will be resolved soon enough. Idk what's going on in ford or in takata, but this needs to be fixed soon. Or they will lose more money by the people who sue them than they already are..
if they could magically double their production from what is already above normal production for them, they would have done so already. It takes time to train new employees and get all the old tooling back together to make air bag models from the mid 2000's. These recalls aren't just for newer models. A lot of the old tooling is probably piled up in a storage room somewhere and not labeled. I've worked for manufacturing companies, and honestly that's how a lot of them are. Especially a plant in Mexico where most of the bad air bags came from.

Plus to set up new lines for additional production is extremely expensive and time consuming. No one is going to be giving Takata loans for new multi-million dollar lines with CNC machines, automation, PLC controls, new tooling, employee training etc etc. That's just my guess...
Old 7/29/15, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^This!! Takata is already using two subcontractors to keep up with the demand, hence the increased failure rate of replacements. In my estimation, it will absolutely be years before this is settled. This recall covers nearly every manufacturer and most brands. A guy at work here just had the airbag in his Honda civic replaced, 14 months after getting the recall notice. That is how long it took to get the parts to the dealer.

My notice came last week. In the time it takes for the dealer to get parts I am going to enjoy my car as much as possible.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 7/29/15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 7/29/15, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Airbag Recall

Let's kick start a company allll tms members can be stock holders lol. I know nothing about business but hey we can do it.
Old 7/29/15, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

^
Old 7/31/15, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the recall notice this week. Called the dealer, and the service rep told me it would be about a month before they got the replacement parts... After reading this thread, I think he was lying about it taking only a month.

Ignorance is bliss. Now, I am driving all paranoid.
Old 7/31/15, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Airbag Recall

Anybody with an S197, please please please drive with only Oakley or other ANSI rated sunglasses. At least give yourself a chance with these airbags. I figure, as long as the shrapnel doesn't slice my jugular, at least I'll live and have my sight.

Do NOT wear those garbage designer glasses, anything with glass lenses or cheap gas station glasses. If it says Chanel, Dior, Ray-Ban, Maui Jim etc, don't wear it while driving.
Old 7/31/15, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Petunia
Got the recall notice this week. Called the dealer, and the service rep told me it would be about a month before they got the replacement parts... After reading this thread, I think he was lying about it taking only a month.

Ignorance is bliss. Now, I am driving all paranoid.
I hear ya. Yesterday i was driving and thought about the airbag exploding on my face a few times

Last edited by iceD; 7/31/15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 7/31/15, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I refuse to worry about it. I can't do anything about parts availability and am convinced it is going to be a LONG wait. So the only choices I have are sell the car (which I am NOT about to do) or keep on driving and ignore it. Given the number of years I have driven with only one air bag deployment and the odds of my air bag shooting out shrapnel, the odds of a problem are SO small that it isn't worth worrying about.
Old 7/31/15, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

A little bit less worried now after researching more..

The 4 deaths with the air bag deployment have been actual car accidents when they deployed with metal fragments exploding. And none of the 4 people who died had ford :P (I know that doesn't matter, but just saying luck wise)
Old 8/1/15, 01:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I got my notice yesterday One thing I'm NOT going to do is worry about it. Believe me, you are much more likely to be injured by the airbag than by the component parts. re: that 1983 F-150? I'll take the benefit of 30+ years of safety technology and research over an over-long extension of '60s design philosophy. Dale Earnhardt's car was much stiffer and solid than the current models and that's what killed him.

Last edited by junkman9096; 8/1/15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 8/1/15, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've owned a 2007, 2011, and now a 2014, all with the airbag recall. To late to start worrying now.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall