2011 v6 Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/12, 12:28 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Ok...
1- my old 1997 cobra that I bought for 4800 bucks can beat your "305" HP sports car.. so no jealousy here.
This

Your car is a base model. Stop acting like it is the god of all cars! Your coming across as annoying...
and this
Old 1/16/12, 12:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This and this
Go back and read my post. I addressed that already about your cobra
Old 1/16/12, 12:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

With a few tune tweaks to mimic the mustang tune yes
With a few tune and tweaks in the v6 one could mimic the 5.0. What is your point. Stock 263 hp. Not bad for a family sedan.
Old 1/16/12, 01:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
can we get this back on track???

its not about some guy with a 97 cobra.. its about a drive shaft. you do not worry about going to 135 because your car has a speed limiter on it and its not possible unless you use a tuner to remove that limiter. Ford put that limiter on the car so it would be safe for the hobbiest or the daily driver.

also it not about if a v6 is a real sports car or not.. its a real mustang just not the sports model. Ford sold the V6 mustang as a great mpg car and not the weekend drag beast. They offered the v8 as the drag/track car. Thats why they did not offer a ford racing supercharger or brembo breaks for the V6.
Old 1/16/12, 01:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
With a few tune and tweaks in the v6 one could mimic the 5.0. What is your point. Stock 263 hp. Not bad for a family sedan.
a few tweaks being a big boost supercharger/turbo.
Old 1/16/12, 01:38 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

the cobras hp is 320 and its a whole different beast.
Old 1/16/12, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i personally think that it's not all about how fast a car can accelerate, or how fast of top speed it reaches.

what makes a car a sports car, is the feeling of driving such a car, the characteristics of handling, the joy that it brings when you make a turn, etc.

300 horses is definitely more than enough to make a car a sports car. but when you look at something like the 2013 gt500, that's more than just a sports car, it's almost a super car with a top speed of 200 mph.

i hope we can stop bashing the little mustang not being a sports car now.
Old 1/16/12, 07:49 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by airoscar
i personally think that it's not all about how fast a car can accelerate, or how fast of top speed it reaches.

what makes a car a sports car, is the feeling of driving such a car, the characteristics of handling, the joy that it brings when you make a turn, etc.

300 horses is definitely more than enough to make a car a sports car. but when you look at something like the 2013 gt500, that's more than just a sports car, it's almost a super car with a top speed of 200 mph.

i hope we can stop bashing the little mustang not being a sports car now.
I wasn't exactly much bashing the v6. It serves its purpose. It has good power. But can't be compared to the v8.

The op was getting annoying. So I got a little frustrated. Apparently for was "advertising" a top speed of 160...
Old 1/16/12, 07:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, to the OP, you make me sorry I replied to your original post.

And in the future, please stop putting a space in the middle of the word "speedometer", it is one word not two.

And to the V6 nay-sayers, when the 2011 V6 Performance Package cars came out they were the best handling, best stopping Mustangs produced. The V6 Mustangs can be just as sporty as a GT.
Old 1/16/12, 07:53 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

And in the future, please stop putting a space in the middle of the word "speedometer", it is one word not two.
Old 1/16/12, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

It's cheaper for Ford to use the same speedometer in both cars than to have one for the V6 and another for the GT. That's the reason. Besides, if a person wants to give their V6 a tune that disables the governor and upgrade the tires (and possibly driveshaft) to accommodate the higher speed, isn't it nice that their stock speedometer can show their actual speed?

And to affirm what has already been said here, only a fool judges the speed potential of a car based on the top number of the speedometer. It's no indicator at all.
Old 1/16/12, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wasn't exactly much bashing the v6. It serves its purpose. It has good power. But can't be compared to the v8.

The op was getting annoying. So I got a little frustrated. Apparently for was "advertising" a top speed of 160...
The new v6 doesn't compare to the new V8's but most certainly does compare to the older V8's, 2010 and prior. The post was about what was the cause of the driveshaft blowing up like that. Some claim it was because Ford uses a lower quality driveshaft on the v6 models that can not handle higher speeds. Others I have seen claim that's bull. It was just a fluke accident that rarely occurs.

Most people with mustangs modify there car in some form. One of the most common mods is to tune the car. By doing this it removes the speed governor on it. I can understand why someone with a mustang would want to drive at high speeds of 135 plus. I don't but there are many out there that like there top speed. Ford gives the 2011 v6 the impression that its capable of doing such speed with no problem with its advertising and lack of warning on the top speed.

Ford doesn't advertise in its brochure the v6 has a speed governor on it. If it was not for the mustang forums I would of never known about the speed governor. Not everybody reads the mustang forums. I don't recall ever reading anything in Motor Trend or Road and Track or and Mustang Magizine about a speed governor or weaker driveshaft that is not capable of handling high speeds.

Edmunds never mentioned such info on the cons about the car either. My point was if the car is not set up to handle high speeds then don't give the impression, the illusion that it can handle high speeds of 135.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/16/12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 1/16/12, 09:00 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

There is no illusion... you creating an illusion... they put the limiter there and they don't have to advertise it. They also don't have to build the car to handle speeds higher than the limiter because the car should never go above it. Ford did everything right. Its the idiots that think Ford designed a car to go 160 when they have it limited before that speed.
Old 1/16/12, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Im just saying that the printed speed odometer is a form of advertisement and it doesn't represent a factual maximum speed of what the car can do.
And who told you that the speedometer was a form of advertisement or any indication at all of the cars actual top speed?

I have been driving for nearly 30 years, and after owning over 20 cars I have yet to find a single one where the top speed shown on the speedometer was the actual top speed of the car.

I think its a cheap marketing and advertising trick that Ford uses to get people thinking the car is more capable of what it actually is. Its a form of advertising and it just gives false impressions about the vehicle.
If my 2011 stang can only go 115 safely then just have a stock speed odometer that reads 115. I had a 1993 v6 Camaro and that too had a speed governor on it. The top speed was around 115 and so the speed odometer read 115. One never got the impression the v6 could go 140. The Z28 had a speed odometer of 160 or so.

Ummm, the 1993 Camaro was speed limited to only 105MPH. Chevy didn't raise the speed limiter to 115 until 1995.

I love my 2011 stang, however im glad I read the mustang forums. If not I would of never known about the speed governor and never known my 305 hp sports car couldn't safely travel faster than my soccer mom Mazda mini van
Well, get a new driveshaft, get new tires, and get a tuner and your 305hp Mustang will be faster than your moms van.
Old 1/16/12, 09:13 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I call BS on him never hitting the limiter... if I remember correctly he posted on another thread that he has been above the limiter several times.
Old 1/16/12, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang

And who told you that the speedometer was a form of advertisement or any indication at all of the cars actual top speed?

I have been driving for nearly 30 years, and after owning over 20 cars I have yet to find a single one where the top speed shown on the speedometer was the actual top speed of the car.

Ummm, the 1993 Camaro was speed limited to only 105MPH. Chevy didn't raise the speed limiter to 115 until 1995.

Well, get a new driveshaft, get new tires, and get a tuner and your 305hp Mustang will be faster than your moms van.
I have a tuner, bama to be exact. I had a 1993 Camaro and the speedodometer reflected as such to the speed governor. By advertising such numbers on the stock speedodometer, many would think the car is capable of doing 135 easy. Its funny how the die hard mustang fans still have the opinion that the v6 is not a real sports car. It's just the daily driver. An imitation of the wanna be V8.

Amazing how prior years 2010 and under Gt's had 300 to 315 hp and that was the true sports car. Now the new stock v6 pump the same or similar hp and track numbers as the older Gt's and yet the the v6 is not the real sports car. Rubbish. The 5.0 is for people who want the extra power over the V6 but make no mistake Ford made the new v6 awesome and powerful. Its a sports car that will hang with any Gt from 2010 and prior.
Old 1/16/12, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I call BS on him never hitting the limiter... if I remember correctly he posted on another thread that he has been above the limiter several times.
I have never been over the set governor
Old 1/16/12, 09:42 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I have a tuner, bama to be exact. I had a 1993 Camaro and the speedodometer reflected as such to the speed governor. By advertising such numbers on the stock speedodometer, many would think the car is capable of doing 135 easy. Its funny how the die hard mustang fans still have the opinion that the v6 is not a real sports car. It's just the daily driver. An imitation of the wanna be V8.

Amazing how prior years 2010 and under Gt's had 300 to 315 hp and that was the true sports car. Now the new stock v6 pump the same or similar hp and track numbers as the older Gt's and yet the the v6 is not the real sports car. Rubbish. The 5.0 is for people who want the extra power over the V6 but make no mistake Ford made the new v6 awesome and powerful. Its a sports car that will hang with any Gt from 2010 and prior.
Do you realize all new cars from all manufactures are putting out more power? Kinda like inflation of the dollar.
Old 1/16/12, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Amazing how prior years 2010 and under Gt's had 300 to 315 hp and that was the true sports car. Now the new stock v6 pump the same or similar hp and track numbers as the older Gt's and yet the the v6 is not the real sports car. Rubbish.
HP sales the cars, torque wins the race. On a side note, any s197 v8 would beat the new v6.
Old 1/16/12, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Weak is the wrong term. Weak is when the drive shaft snaps doing a launch. What is going on here is natural frequency.

There is a specific rotational speed for any driveshaft where it will destroy itself. Higher or lower and it is fine. It's a question of balance and design where that point ends up. If the drive shaft were longer or shorter or heavier or lighter or had support in the middle the rotational speed, the critical speed of the driveshaft changes.

The tolerance band for the critical speed of this drive shaft is somewhere north of the speed limiter. Knowing this, to drive that fast one might want to use a different drive shaft where he knows the critical speed is above how fast he wants to go.

As to whines about how ford makes the V6, well news flash, 4 and 6 cylinder mustangs have always been that way. ALWAYS. From April 17th 1964 until now. Today's 6 cylinder owners are rather spoiled in how easy it is to bring the car to V8 specification outside the engine itself.

Go see what it takes to get performance from say a '66 6 cylinder car or say an '88 four cylinder. They all have weak links. That's what you deal with deciding to start with the base model.

Quick Reply: 2011 v6 Driveshafts