Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 MY order bank open date, Job #1 date & 2010 MY End Date!!!! IMPORTANT INFO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/09, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
The transmission itself does support SelectShift but Ford chose not to employ it at this time. Lines have to be drawn somewhere or the Mustang would get to be too expensive if they included everything that they could include.
So theoretically it's still on the table?
Old 12/31/09, 01:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Jim, did you definitely want cloth? If not, get a deluxe GT and get "take-off" leather seat covers. You can get them for around $300 or less from any of the online takeoff parts shops.
I'm considering this, Jeff, as I don't really need SYNC. But I would like the upgraded dash from the Premium. I don't like that Ford has bundled what used to be separate options (Leather, IUP, Shaker 500, Sirius) into what is now the Premium package. I am hoping Ford has expanded the options for the base GT from the very short list on the '10s for those who don't want or need everything the Premiums have.
Old 12/31/09, 05:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The transmission itself does support SelectShift but Ford chose not to employ it at this time. Lines have to be drawn somewhere or the Mustang would get to be too expensive if they included everything that they could include.
I don't buy that because even the Smart has a true automated manual and it costs peanuts compared to the Mustang. Ford is also switching over to automated manuals in the future for some of its models. This isn't the same as a manumatic, which is what we're talking about and that is even easier to incorporate. It's all electronically controlled so you'd just have to give it a + and - control.
Old 12/31/09, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I don't buy that because even the Smart has a true automated manual and it costs peanuts compared to the Mustang. Ford is also switching over to automated manuals in the future for some of its models. This isn't the same as a manumatic, which is what we're talking about and that is even easier to incorporate. It's all electronically controlled so you'd just have to give it a + and - control.
High torque DCT transmissions are expensive to design and produce, as any BMW and Porsche exec will tell you. Don't get me wrong, they're fantasic pieces of engineering, but right now they're limited to smaller engines.
Old 12/31/09, 12:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
High torque DCT transmissions are expensive to design and produce, as any BMW and Porsche exec will tell you. Don't get me wrong, they're fantasic pieces of engineering, but right now they're limited to smaller engines.
Understood, but Ford has planned/is planning to implement automated manuals in many of its cars. For the Mustang's automatic, implementing electronic controls to manually upshift or downshift is a matter of connecting a few wires and adding 2 buttons - OR tweaking the floor shifter layout. It wouldn't be a problem either way to implement that feature in a Mustang. I would still get the traditional manual because the manumatic isn't nearly as good as an automated manual.
Old 12/31/09, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever think they're not bringing the SelectShift out until after sales start to slow down? Never come out with all your cards right off the bat...
Old 12/31/09, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

SOKATH, HIS EYES UNCOVERED

Originally Posted by Overboost
Anyone ever think they're not bringing the SelectShift out until after sales start to slow down? Never come out with all your cards right off the bat...
I had not considered that. I feel silly now.

If Ford makes do what it does in the SHO (like opening the throttle on downshifts), then I'll wait.

Last edited by Captain Spadaro; 12/31/09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12/31/09, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's one the table at all for the 2011 model year. But since the transmission will mechanically support it, Ford could decide to add controls to the cabin in some future year. Although adding those controls wouldn't be a huge expense, it still costs something.

As far as I'm concerned, a car this cool deserves a driver who loves it enough to shift it him/herself. But that's my own personal prejudice.
Old 12/31/09, 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
I had not considered that. I feel silly now.

If Ford makes do what it does in the SHO (like opening the throttle on downshifts), then I'll wait.
It'd be a dumb strategy, always think ahead and beat out the competition. You'd save money this way by selling more vehicles with the same part. Coming out with a nifty new gadget (that costs $$) when sales slow down only makes it less viable to implement. If they'd debut the 2010 Mustang GT with the 5.0L V8 and manumatic, and the 2010 SVT Raptor with the 6.2, it'd really change the face of competition. This incremental stuff is a waste of time and money.
Old 12/31/09, 01:21 PM
GTR Member

I don't think it's one the table at all for the 2011 model year. But since the transmission will mechanically support it, Ford could decide to add controls to the cabin in some future year. Although adding those controls wouldn't be a huge expense, it still costs something.

As far as I'm concerned, a car this cool deserves a driver who loves it enough to shift it him/herself. But that's my own personal prejudice.
I agree. The manumatics aren't that fast anyhow and that's the only reason to use one of them instead of a traditional clutch and synchronized gearbox. The automated manuals are proven to be faster than a regular manual and that's what you're looking for. Subaru already had a manumatic that revs your downshifts, it's nothing new.
Old 12/31/09, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's not something I'd use anyhow, the manumatics don't respond very quickly and knowing Ford they'd use the wrong convention. I hate how non of the OEMs can come up with a single standard:

forward = downshift
backward = upshift

or for the paddles:
left = downshift
right = upshift

Automated manuals are a lot better since they don't have a torque converter, but AFAIK only Ferrari has it tuned so you can crack downshifts in milliseconds.
That is what they used in the Fusion Sport, Metro! My last demo was a 2010 Fusion Sport and the manumatic control was great! It NEVER shifted for you, unless you were going so slow that it had to downshift automatically. It would let you bounce off the rev-limiter all day long without shifting. It was all up to the driver. And it was forward for downshift, and back for upshift! It really did work.
Old 12/31/09, 04:45 PM
GTR Member

How much lag was there for the downshifts? I might have to give it a try. I wanted to order a 2010 Fusion Sport AWD but it's $32k MSRP for only 263 hp.
Old 12/31/09, 04:53 PM
GTR Member

The lag really isn't bad for the transmission. We've also got a 2010 Fusion SEL and it has the option as well, which makes it fun if you want to switch it up. For a manu-matic, it's really not bad.
Old 12/31/09, 05:12 PM
GTR Member

I have to try it out then. I've used the manumatics on the G6, Kia Spectra, and VW New Beetle and wasn't impressed with any of them. It took too long to downshift, but the VW New Beetle had some serious engine braking at higher revs - they must have locked up that torque converter tighter than Fort Knox.

Have you driven the older 99-04 GTs with the 4R70W and locked out the Overdrive (effectively forcing it to downshift from 4 to 3)? Would you say the manumatic downshifts on the 2010 Fusion SEL/Sport are the same speed, faster, or slower?

BTW I checked the SEL pricing and it looked like it was only a few hundred bucks less than the Sport.
Old 1/1/10, 07:55 AM
GTR Member

I have to try it out then. I've used the manumatics on the G6, Kia Spectra, and VW New Beetle and wasn't impressed with any of them. It took too long to downshift, but the VW New Beetle had some serious engine braking at higher revs - they must have locked up that torque converter tighter than Fort Knox.

Have you driven the older 99-04 GTs with the 4R70W and locked out the Overdrive (effectively forcing it to downshift from 4 to 3)? Would you say the manumatic downshifts on the 2010 Fusion SEL/Sport are the same speed, faster, or slower?

BTW I checked the SEL pricing and it looked like it was only a few hundred bucks less than the Sport.
Only reason we didn't get the Sport was because the 402A pkg(?) wasn't available in the Sport yet, so they didn't offer heated seats. The pricing was close, and instead got a Sterling Grey monochrome SEL.
Old 1/1/10, 08:37 AM
GTR Member

I never understood why they avoid giving heated seats on "performance" models of some cars. It's not like it will slow down the car significantly.
Old 1/1/10, 11:08 AM
GTR Member

I never understood why they avoid giving heated seats on "performance" models of some cars. It's not like it will slow down the car significantly.
It was something they offered, but didn't have in at the time we were purchasing the new car. Besides, the color selection for the Sport trim was lacking. IMO, a Sterling Grey Sport would be gorgeous.
Old 1/1/10, 08:17 PM

If your talking about the Fusion Sport not having heated seats it does have them.
Old 1/2/10, 06:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Overboost
Only reason we didn't get the Sport was because the 402A pkg(?) wasn't available in the Sport yet, so they didn't offer heated seats. The pricing was close, and instead got a Sterling Grey monochrome SEL.
Hey bud, what do you mean the 402A package wasn't available in the Sport at the time? If that is the reason your dealer gave you for not being able to get it, he's full of S**T!!! I say this, as I had a 2010 Fusion Sport 402A package for my demo! It was the 2nd 2010 we got in, back in April, when they were released! No one had even seen a 2010 Fusion on the road, let alone the new Sport and I had one!! My car has every option (including heated seats) except navigation (we don't put that option in demos). It even had the factory-installed remote start. I just sold it on Thursday to a good friend. I'll miss that car as it was the BEST demo I ever had!!!! AWESOME AWESOME CAR!!!!!!

Sorry to say you couldn't get what you wanted. Let me know the reason they gave you.
Old 1/2/10, 06:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by michigandevil
If your talking about the Fusion Sport not having heated seats it does have them.
Hey bud, he means you have to get the Sport in the 402A package. The Sport does NOT come with heated seats standard! Its part of the electronics package that is the main opiton in the 402A package!

Quick Reply: 2011 MY order bank open date, Job #1 date & 2010 MY End Date!!!! IMPORTANT INFO!!!