SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

2001 Bullitt #3006

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/07, 11:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
That really sucks Arin! I'm glad you're alright though. Hope it gets put back together soon. Good luck.
Old 8/13/07, 11:58 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. There was never any real impact, the bumper damage I think came from just scraping along the wall when it was up.

The towing guysjust mentioned the body show since they said its on their location when the started towing her.

The airbags getting put back in is probably the worst of the damage.

And for those of you who don't know, I hope you never find this out firsthand, but..

AIRBAGS SMELL LIKE ***
Old 8/13/07, 12:30 PM

Glad to see you're the same old Arin... I still haven't seen Kaylee btw. What's up with that?
Old 8/13/07, 12:33 PM
Post *****

Well I suppose thats your motiviation to fix KAra and get your sorry rumpus up here
Old 8/13/07, 01:06 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Glad your alright man. Cars can be replaced and repaired.

Btw, you shoulda gotten home and showed your mom the tat.. that woulda done her in for good
Old 8/13/07, 01:10 PM

You obviously have not heard the horror stories that are: Arin's monster... *MOTHER*
Old 8/13/07, 01:20 PM
Post *****

Scott,

Let me tell you what I told everyone last night. I fear my mother more tha I fear that mountain that I go to cozy with. Her shriek could probably do more damage to kaylee than the crash did too.

But... I will be showing her and dad soon, since I'm leaving for UOP on the 24th. I'll let you all know howthat goes.

Thanks everone
Old 8/13/07, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully it's good as new in no time!
Old 8/13/07, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad to know you are OK. If you feel up to it, post some photos of the damage. I too am surprised about the airbags. I suspect the impact must have been at just the appropriate angle to by read by the sensors as a quick deceleration.

I feel for you, having gone through 4 years of being careful and then having my Mach 1 be involved in 2 accidents within 5 weeks of each other, with damage first to the rear then the front.

Hang in there.
Old 8/13/07, 04:16 PM
Post *****

Well I just got back from seeing her, and I have pics. So far here is what I know:

Front Right A-Arm and accompanying suspension bits have been pushed back. When they were pushed (presumably by the ditch, not the actual wall climbing) they hit an airbag sensor, thus causing them to go off. The FR area is gonna need plenty of fixification.

The airbags too, naturally, will need to be replaced. I'm taking Kaylee to the same mechanic I took Fiona to. They are based around mustangs and they have some good connections in the world of automotive repair, so I have faith in them.

The car is being towed home, and from here it will go to Lupe's (my mechanic) to get the work done.

Here are the pictures

Also there was a totalled S281 vert there. Apparently this idiot tried to run from the cops, ran into a truck...

I hate to say it at a time like this, but I kinda want his wheels.

And so the ditch that plagued Frank Bullitt's GT390 has come back to haunt my Bullitt, with the help of a cliff, darkness and roads I didn't quite have the hang of. No chasing here, but we both got our front suspension screwed up. *sigh*
Old 8/13/07, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man. Im glad to hear that youre ok. Now will be a great time to have some suspension mods done.
Old 8/13/07, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Yes because I'll definately be able to swing that past the rents. We're paying for this out of pocket so as not to ruin my driving record and insurance rates. Its going to be done as cheaply as possible without being shoddy workmanship.

I may try for a 99 Cobra bumper though
Old 8/13/07, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In the grand scheme of things, I do believe the airbag replacement work to be a bigger deal than the suspension components because of some of the component costs and the need to repair interior panels or seats. Was there any damage to the interior from them activating?

I would assume that your shop will be checking the unibody measurements to ensure they are within specs.

In my novice opinion, messing with suspension (struts, springs, etc.) should be done as a total plan based on your driving intentions with the car. If you plan on road racing, it might be good to change things out, but otherwise, the stock Bullitt suspension is already set at a ride height and configured to work with the strut and spring combination to make it fairly balanced. I think using the opportunity to evaluate the cost of making the changes vs. using the stock parts is independent of the need to do repairs.

Let us know what they find as they begin to examine the damage more closely.
Old 8/13/07, 07:05 PM
Post *****

I don't plan to ever REALLY race this car, its my daily driver so nothing too wild. Most of my planned mods are relatively simple. I know I'd like to think I want a hard core corner carver, but lets face it: I'm an 18 year old starting college in a few weeks. I dont have the time or skill to do any racing right now.

As for the interior, nothing side from the panels that break open for airbags to come out was harmed. if there is any other interior damage, it would most likely be from me crawling out of the car.

I will update you guys o the extent of the damage every step of the way.
Old 8/13/07, 07:33 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Man . . sorry about your incident, but glad you are OK.
Old 8/13/07, 09:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about your accident.
Old 8/13/07, 09:10 PM
Post *****

Took off the bad wheel to put on the space saver, and to see the suspension.

The Towing guy wasn't kidding when he said that everything on the right sside moved back. The space between the back of the tire and fender is almost nonexistant on the pass side. Couldnt be sure until an inflated tire was on the hub tho. Let's call it confirmed now

sorry if my shots here are rubbish, i just kinda stuck my camera in there and shot. I was being rushed by my family
Old 8/13/07, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by future9er24
I hate to say it at a time like this, but I kinda want his wheels.

And so the ditch that plagued Frank Bullitt's GT390 has come back to haunt my Bullitt, with the help of a cliff, darkness and roads I didn't quite have the hang of. No chasing here, but we both got our front suspension screwed up. *sigh*
I agree 100% with the wheels. Is there any damage to your wheels?
Old 8/13/07, 09:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't plan to ever REALLY race this car, its my daily driver so nothing too wild. Most of my planned mods are relatively simple. I know I'd like to think I want a hard core corner carver, but lets face it: I'm an 18 year old starting college in a few weeks. I dont have the time or skill to do any racing right now.
My suggestion - let the repairs take it to stock...it will most likely help in the preservation of perceived value, should you ever sell it. I know folks who have used changed springs to drop their cars, but that mainly is for appearance.

As for the interior, nothing side from the panels that break open for airbags to come out was harmed. if there is any other interior damage, it would most likely be from me crawling out of the car.
That's good to hear - was thinking your seats might have taken a shot of the powder residue.

I will update you guys o the extent of the damage every step of the way.
Please do, as hopefully you will gain some information that will be useful as you go through the repair process. I know it's small consolation at this point, but once your car comes back together, the negative feelings will vanish. I felt like crap while my Mach 1 was in the shop twice within 5 weeks. I was a lot better after I drove it off the repair shop lot.
Old 8/14/07, 01:51 AM
Post *****

I appreciate the consolations everyone, but I have worse news.

Even though this is going to be paid for out of pocket, to prevent insurance from rising, the car is going to be fixed and sold. My II is also being sold.

My parents talked to me today about how we can no longer afford insuring an 18 year old driver. This accident, according to mom, didn't even have any bearing on it. I'm just too expesnive to insure. So for at least the next year, I won't be driving. At all. To eliminate the Bullitt payments and insurance, IT is being sold. The II will also be sold, most likely the funds from there will pay for the repairs on the Bullitt.

Here I am, back where I started on TMS, stangless.

Quick Reply: 2001 Bullitt #3006