SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

2001 Bullitt #3006

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/07, 07:34 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
One concern is keeping the car as designed which by itself is sufficient specially for a teenager. The second and most important is Arin's safety. He has to spend a few years driving and not reach a conclusion where he would feel having a well rounded Mustang compensates for lack of experience providing a false sense of security. No doubt the temptation is always there to open it up (see Ford GT stories). I hope common sense takes the driver's seat not any outside influence. He should, better yet, he must allow time to gain experience and maturity to take their due course.

It is easy to get caught up with all the hoopla surrounding Mustangs. With power and performance comes responsibility not only to protect himself but others as well.
Old 3/16/07, 08:20 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry George, I by no means feel I become a safer driver just by improving my car. I know this car is fun, and there is a lot of temptation when you know (and feel) all that power when you mash the throttle. I've made a few mistakes driving in the other car's I've had, and I do feel I've learned a little.

I'm doing my best to be above the average teenager with my car, and not drive like a maniac, nor speed freak. For me, the two biggest reasons for me to modify and improve the car is to A: see if I can do it (with things like CAI, and other simple things). I'm rather fond of the feeling of self achievement when you do something to a car. The other reason is just to know my Mustang is just that much more special now that I've put some time into it.

I guess that's the main reason I'm not seriously considering a supercharger or any huge horsepower boosters: I would never have the time or place to use it all. This car is a daily driver first and foremost, and I can't go all in and build a monster of a car, especially like you said, at my age. Just because I know some of the members here have S/C DDs it doesn't mean I'm quite ready for one. I may be another dumb teenager, but I at least know I'm not ready for a 400+hp car.

I appreciate the concern though, George. It's good of you to keep your eye out for other members
Old 3/16/07, 08:55 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah, you dont need a supercharger. I personally like n/a cars over forced induction, but the cost to make that same power n/a is usually more.

I know you are alot like me Arin, you cant leave well enough alone.
Old 3/16/07, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arin, have you ever considered a high performnace driving school to help you get used to the power of your car? Hopefully that will be something I do this summer after I graduate.
Old 3/16/07, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Actually Mark, I have been considering that. My friend and I both are actually, two days after purchasing my Bullitt, he finally bought a replacement for his '92 F250 in the form of an '00 M Coupe.

It's pretty clear to both of us that we don't have all the neccessary skills to handle these cars in eevvveerry situation. Plus, we love racing go-karts at the local malibu, and I think we're kinda good at it lol. We definatley want to from an educational as well as fun standpoint.

Scott- I'm also with you on the N/A. As of late I've found solid well balanced, N/A cars to be kinda more interesting than S/C'd versions. I mean, from looking at all the ads I sifted through before finding the Bullitt, there were so many folk that just slapped on a supercharger, just for easy power. N/A just seems like you work harder for it. I'm definately a fan of that method.

And as another side note, getting looks from other folk with Mustangs, as I said before, is a great feeling. I think it seems to make their day too, especially when some guy in a seemingly lowly V6 gets a nod from someone in a Bullitt. The only looks I enjoy more are the scowls from ricers
Old 3/16/07, 01:55 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When i was 18 i had bought my first V8 stangs and as long as you are responsible where you have your fun you shouldn't ahve any problems.

Don't race on populated roads. If you like to race like me. If you don't like to race then no worries. Maybe take it to the track once in a while..

Also playing a lot of realistic driving video games helps with driving dynamics wihtout having to worry about your car in practice. So get real good at GT4 and should help quick thinking in real driving. Grab a mustang put on simulation tires.

I used to go out racing like every weekend but i never casued any trouble heck i never even got any tickets when i used to go out racing.

And one of the most important things is always keep your front wheels pointed where you want to go regardless of what angle your car is. If it kicks out while corning just steer with the turn and be gentle on the gas and you should be able to maintain the drift and ease it out as the turn ends.

If you are trying to drift I found 2nd gear works really well or 3rd if you are doing it at 50+ mph. But then again don't practice drifting (unless its on GT4) but if you are going fast on a turn and it breaks lose or hit a slippery spot it is best to know how to handle it.
Old 3/16/07, 02:12 PM
Post *****

I've never really been that into racing on the street. I had one or two back when the II was safe to drive, but I don't spend much time on umpopulated roads and other than a little "hey you're going fast so I'll keep up so we can check eachother's cars out" I havent dont jack in the Bullitt. Theres usually alot of traffic when I'm driving sicne it consists mainly of drive to school in the morning, and leave school in the afternoon, so there's a bunch of not so great drivers on the road at those times, myself included.

Just because I'm oh so protective of this car, and afraid of tickets/accidents, I highly doubt there will be any street racing in this car.

That being said, I'm definately going to take to heart what you said, incase I ever find myself driving with a little too much "excitement" for lack of a better term and lose control.

I've lost control of a car three times I beleive. One was the first time I drove the II with a V6, took a corner a little to fast, and started fishtailing and kinda went from side to side on the road. It was a small little backroad so I got lucky. Same thing happened again when I first got the II's V8 isntalled. I was soooo not ready for torque lol (since I had been in the Mazdarati for god knows how long) The next time was in the mazda, ironically, and it was after a rain. Car hydroplaned a bit on another small backroad by my house, i let off the gas and straightened my wheels, and eventually the car caught traction and drove straight again. I've since become a grandma driver in the rain.

I still only have GT3 lol, and I'm terrible. Played for a while before my PS2 broke, and never even got a second car. yup, I'm still driving my lil miata. Vishal just bought a new PS2 so I'm sure I can get some more practice time in.
Old 3/16/07, 02:19 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you have much to worry about then.

But honestly understanding car dynamics is the most important. Thats why i think games like GT4 are so good to play. You have to understand the importance of braking and steering input as well as throttle control. Take a good high power rwd car and put on the simualation tires.
Old 3/16/07, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have access to a couple Xboxs you can link 4 or more of them together with Forza Motor Sports and give your self almost 180degrees of viewing in the front and a a rear screen for behind you or go with 8 of them for a full 360 degrees. Then combine that with a Steering wheel and you got one killer driving simulator.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-JwoXefTo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJptW8xFivQ
Old 3/16/07, 02:48 PM
Post *****

I agree with you when it comes to GT games. I think GT3 in and of itself may be why I was a bit better than some other kids my age when I first started driving.

edit: Bill, just saw your post now, I'm watching the vids as we speak and its pretty impressive!
Old 3/16/07, 02:59 PM
Post *****

That was pretty freaking cool. I may not have Forza, but I'll definately be playing a bit more GT3 for a while

If only I had 3 TVs lol
Old 3/16/07, 04:48 PM
GT Member

3? If only I had 8 xboxes, 8 copies of Forza, and 8 42inch Plasmas...at least while were dreaming here! But if we did we probably could have afforded to go to real performance drivers training.
Old 3/16/07, 04:51 PM
Post *****

so very true.
Old 3/16/07, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just a question, but is the insurance killing you on your Bullitt? I know mine will almost double when I go to a GT 5 speed.
Old 3/16/07, 07:28 PM
Post *****

From what my mom has said insurance won't be so bad at all. I'll have to ask her for the exact figure, but it works out like this:

Car is registered in her name, and also insured under it. We have a state farm family plan though, so anyone member of the insured family is allowed to drive any of the cars. basically, my insurance would be whatever a 40some year old woman with 1 accident and 2 tickets ever would be We did the same thing with the II, and that was about $1200 a year
Old 3/16/07, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahhhh Thats how it is with the 6. I was just curious beacuse I wanted to know how bad my wallet would be hurting later this year when I can get something new. Ill have to put the car in my name and the insurance as well.
Old 3/17/07, 06:05 AM
GT Member

I was amazed when I moved from a v6 to the Bullitt as well, my insurance really didn't go up as much as a I thought, it was less than $200 more every 6 month and I was buying my own insurance. So really it's not bad unless you were buying a brand new GT. But a used one shouldn't be too bad.
Old 3/20/07, 01:58 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

USA insurance... s.u-c.k. LOL... we dont have ANY of that BS down here in sunny mexico!...
Old 3/20/07, 03:22 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by ARF
... we dont have ANY of that BS down here in sunny mexico!...

Is it still the practice in beatiful sunny Mejico that whoever blows the horn first has the right of way?

Old 3/25/07, 09:41 PM
Post *****

Talking

My buddy Pete, not the one registered here lol, and I were working on the Camaro today. We got the POS to start and run, but neglected to remember a few hoses and plugs we needed to isntall lol.. I'm amazed we're alove after our Empire Strikes Back Millenium-Falcon-Han-and-Chewie moment:
Arin: we got the camaro to work
Arin: cept
Arin: we almost exploded it
Arin: lol
Arin: forgot to hook up some hoses
Arin: and fill in some holes
Arin: and **** went EVVERYWHERE
Arin: theres a part in one of the star wars movies
Arin: where han yells to chewbacca
Arin: "TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF"
Arin: bec something is exploding
Arin: and han is right there
Arin: and chewbacca is in the cockpit running everything
Arin: that happened today
Arin: i was han
Arin: pete was chewbacca

After that we decided that our two cars look *****in' together, so we decided to have a little photoshoot in my driveway. My other good friend showed up in her VW Bug vert, asking us to fix the "check engine light" No idea what we did, but it went away.

ANNNYYHOOWWWW here are the pictures

Quick Reply: 2001 Bullitt #3006