05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/15, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Glad you retraced your steps and it works for you. Enjoy.
Old 4/13/15, 01:40 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Glad you retraced your steps and it works for you. Enjoy.
Agreed! Awesome. Glad it worked for you WT!!
You're most welcome.
What will you do next?
Old 4/15/15, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just to let you guys know. Yesterday I put in an 08 Edge navigation head into my recently purchased 06 Fusion SEL. My car had already factory controls on the steering wheel but only the basic CD6 head. There are no J4 plugs on the CD6 head, so using an amp is going to be purely add on.

The navi head worked perfectly without any programming. I didn't even have to change the switches on the steering wheel. This was the simplest 10 minute install in Ford history. LOL. The **** thing fell together. Since I didn't have SYNC in this car, I added a SYNC kit also. Everything came up and worked great. I pulled the inside mirror and added a SYNC microphone mirror also. When I took it from the wrecking yard, I took the complete harness to the overhead console. I then took off the plug on the end and added the wires with connectors into the factory harness running up the pillar. Same exact setup as my Mustang. So now I have the SYNC kit, with Job 2 navigation head, and mirror installed. I'm so glad we started this thread, as it makes installing these radios into our other Fords so much easier.

To date, this is my 6th install of a navigation head into late model Ford cars here. All have the steering wheel controls, working correctly, but one. He didn't want them.

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/15/15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 4/19/15, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I realize that this isn't the place, but it is the place that we use our SYNC/Navigation information so I thought it best to put here. If anyone is interested, I have one new kit left of the Sync 9d3z-14d212-a kits that I won't be needing. I have done 6 of these so far, and don't foresee doing it again but I am still keeping one of them as a spare. This kit has the extra used pre programmed module as well as the new factory one in the box. If anyone wants it, i have $125 in it, with the extra module and would take that if someone else wants to add SYNC. Brand new, never installed. Pm me if interested. That price sure beats the $600 plus that is the retail price, without a programming. The cheapest on eBay right now is around 300 for the kit, without a programmed module. It saves you having to have the system programmed by the dealer. Shipping is $18 anywhere in the USA.
Old 4/19/15, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I realize that this isn't the place, but it is the place that we use our SYNC/Navigation information so I thought it best to put here. If anyone is interested, I have one new kit left of the Sync 9d3z-14d212-a kits that I won't be needing. I have done 6 of these so far, and don't foresee doing it again but I am still keeping one of them as a spare. This kit has the extra used pre programmed module as well as the new factory one in the box. If anyone wants it, i have $125 in it, with the extra module and would take that if someone else wants to add SYNC. Brand new, never installed. Pm me if interested. That price sure beats the $600 plus that is the retail price, without a programming. The cheapest on eBay right now is around 300 for the kit, without a programmed module. It saves you having to have the system programmed by the dealer. Shipping is $18 anywhere in the USA.

Also recognize that this isn't the right place but it's a ghost town here anyways.

Technical question: How does this work? Say I have a 2008 Stang with the factory NAV unit in it, no steering wheel control or SYNC. Will what you have ADD the SYNC to the factory setup? If so, how does it do this? I am interested!
Old 4/21/15, 12:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

This is what I used with my head, which was a Taurus X, 8G1T-GA head. I had no problem installing SYNC. I did have a microphone problem at first, but that was cured by hooking a wire up correctly at the SBJ. I didn't have it quite snug enough to hold good contact and it went in and out until i fixed it.

The one I installed the other day into an 06 Fusion, which never had navigation went super easy. I used an 8G1A-CA from an 08 Edge and t also has Line In, for DVD or camera. Sweet heads, the 8G1T units. I had the whole thing operational and closed up in less than 20 minutes total, including adding the SYNC kit. Easiest thing I've ever done installing a radio in a newer Ford.

Other guys on here have added the SYNC kit to Ford navigation heads. Let's ask them how theirs turned out using factory navigation and SYNC. Anyone care to answer?????

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/21/15 at 12:29 AM.
Old 4/21/15, 12:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Anyone who has added a SYNC kit to a Ford factory navigation head, or any other Ford unit, tells us about it. Did you have any problems? Forget the Steering Wheel Controls and audio controls. I'm just asking about your interaction with adding the SYNC kit to our cars. This will help others down the line, so chime in your results. I've shown mine many times, but I'd like other pros and cons to help the other people thinking of doing these mods. Since this is a multi-use kit, anyone who has added this kit, jump in here.

Jim, VGM, Data, and others have contributed, so they can easily chime in on this. Guys????

The kit we used is the 9D3Z-14D212-A that originally was made for the Mustangs, but Ford released it for about every model to use this very kit.

Post your results so that others can make their minds up if they want to use this system or go with something else. Personally, I would give it a 9 out of 10 myself. The dropped point was the lousy way you have to download the instructions for specific models. lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/21/15 at 12:42 AM.
Old 4/21/15, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone who has added a SYNC kit to a Ford factory navigation head, or any other Ford unit, tells us about it. Did you have any problems? Forget the Steering Wheel Controls and audio controls. I'm just asking about your interaction with adding the SYNC kit to our cars. This will help others down the line, so chime in your results. I've shown mine many times, but I'd like other pros and cons to help the other people thinking of doing these mods. Since this is a multi-use kit, anyone who has added this kit, jump in here.

Jim, VGM, Data, and others have contributed, so they can easily chime in on this. Guys????

The kit we used is the 9D3Z-14D212-A that originally was made for the Mustangs, but Ford released it for about every model to use this very kit.

Post your results so that others can make their minds up if they want to use this system or go with something else. Personally, I would give it a 9 out of 10 myself. The dropped point was the lousy way you have to download the instructions for specific models. lol
I've also installed that kit. Have you had any luck updating it through syncmyride.com?

I was able to get a update package to go from v3.1 -> v4.4 by using another VIN, but obviously am hesitant to install that, out of fear that my sync box doesn't have v3.1 on it.
Old 4/21/15, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I took one of the serials that got totalled and used that to go to SYNC and get an account. If you know the serial number of the vehicle that the head came out of, you are better off using that and not the one from a Mustang. SYNC doesn't specify a vehicle, per se, just that its serial number came with it. Besides, usually that vehicle is now off the road, permanently, so using the serial makes great sense, since the vehicle had SYNC and/or Navigation originally.

How have you been Friedmann? Haven't talked to you in a while. Yours works great right? I really don't know what is on my unit, because I haven't driven it this year yet. I will this week, but until now, I haven't touch the poor girl. She' probably lonesome. lol Time to put some miles on her.
Old 4/21/15, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I took one of the serials that got totalled and used that to go to SYNC and get an account. If you know the serial number of the vehicle that the head came out of, you are better off using that and not the one from a Mustang. SYNC doesn't specify a vehicle, per se, just that its serial number came with it. Besides, usually that vehicle is now off the road, permanently, so using the serial makes great sense, since the vehicle had SYNC and/or Navigation originally.

How have you been Friedmann? Haven't talked to you in a while. Yours works great right? I really don't know what is on my unit, because I haven't driven it this year yet. I will this week, but until now, I haven't touch the poor girl. She' probably lonesome. lol Time to put some miles on her.
Yeah I've tried a few things...Got the version checker to work in the car... then looked at the XML file. The image fpn was 9L3T-14D544-AC, which corresponds to a 2009 Ford Edge (googling around), and seems to have version 1.0 or 1.1 on it.

Found a 2009 Edge VIN, put it in there, says dealer update required.

Found a 2010 Edge VIN, got an update file to go from 3.1 to 4.4 (a bit afraid to use this)

Used a 2009 Mustang, said that it didn't have Sync (obviously), tried to upload file from version checker, and got an error. Contacted Ford, they said they don't help with units that weren't installed from factory.

Just got the mustang out here too. I've finally gotten everything working (except possibly have a cruise control issue), but find that the voice recognition is just awful.
Old 4/21/15, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If the voice is bad, have you thought about going to the mirror microphone. It is a simple add on. You have to add 3 wires to the plug, but it is like the swc/s . Just a bit of work. You can also cut the microphone off the SYNC line and add it directly to the mirror. If you should decide to do this, let me know and I will give you my pics and schematics to add it quick and easy. By far the easiest, is cutting the mic and switching mirror heads. lol

Time to go driving.
Old 4/21/15, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the voice is bad, have you thought about going to the mirror microphone. It is a simple add on. You have to add 3 wires to the plug, but it is like the swc/s . Just a bit of work. You can also cut the microphone off the SYNC line and add it directly to the mirror. If you should decide to do this, let me know and I will give you my pics and schematics to add it quick and easy. By far the easiest, is cutting the mic and switching mirror heads. lol

Time to go driving.
It's not really the quality of the pickup, it's having to navigate through menu on top of menu to make a simple phone call...

Is your sync module from the Taurus? or same as the kit you sold me? have you updated the software through that website?

Last edited by friedmaster; 4/21/15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 4/21/15, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...th-myford.html

According to Ford's SYNC site, there is NO updates for a 2009 Mustang for SYNC. Seems like there should be, but according to Ford, no. That is using the 9# control module. The 8# won't work with the Job 2 heads, so we don't have to worry about them. Our set up is basically for 2 year models and to update the older systems. Sony changed a lot of ways we normally would think when wiring and etc. I really like the Pioneer system. I've put in so many of them this past year. I'd have to do a lot of reading to install the Sony system and hook up any outside items. With these, I can almost do them blindfolded now. lol

The 10 Edge has the Sony system so it would require the 4+ version. It used to be 3.1. Our radios, being Pioneers, use the pre 3.1 version, and there are no updates without going to the dealer. The updates only seem to do minor stuff, so I'm going to stay without updating and if that becomes necessary later, then I'll get a copy from somewhere and get it handled then. Otherwise, I have no problems with my system as it is right now, and the SYNC system seems to work as well as a person could possibly want. JMO of course.
Old 4/21/15, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
So if the Pony never had SYNC how does the box work? Pardon my ignorance but I've only seen SYNC in cars that already came with it OEM.

If the Pony has a 2008 factory NAV will your box enable information on the NAV screen like a call menu or is it strictly audio? What does upgrading the SYNC version do?

Again, this is new to me, I thought a 2008 NAV couldn't do SYNC at all.
Old 4/22/15, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...th-myford.html

According to Ford's SYNC site, there is NO updates for a 2009 Mustang for SYNC. Seems like there should be, but according to Ford, no. That is using the 9# control module. The 8# won't work with the Job 2 heads, so we don't have to worry about them. Our set up is basically for 2 year models and to update the older systems. Sony changed a lot of ways we normally would think when wiring and etc. I really like the Pioneer system. I've put in so many of them this past year. I'd have to do a lot of reading to install the Sony system and hook up any outside items. With these, I can almost do them blindfolded now. lol

The 10 Edge has the Sony system so it would require the 4+ version. It used to be 3.1. Our radios, being Pioneers, use the pre 3.1 version, and there are no updates without going to the dealer. The updates only seem to do minor stuff, so I'm going to stay without updating and if that becomes necessary later, then I'll get a copy from somewhere and get it handled then. Otherwise, I have no problems with my system as it is right now, and the SYNC system seems to work as well as a person could possibly want. JMO of course.
Thanks Ak, remember, I have a different (more modern) head unit than you do. It's the 9L1T-18k931 head (Clarion).

So from your post, I'm to understand that you haven't updated your sync module to the latest firmware (4.4)?
Old 4/22/15, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Thanks Ak, remember, I have a different (more modern) head unit than you do. It's the 9L1T-18k931 head (Clarion).

So from your post, I'm to understand that you haven't updated your sync module to the latest firmware (4.4)?
No I have not on this car. I haven't driven it. I have the same exact install in my 06 Fusion SEL and I added SYNC to it also. It had factory swc's and surprisingly, they worked correctly, even with the automatic air conditioning. I used the extra programmed used module (9-BC) and everything works in both cars, exactly like it comes from the factory.

I just yesterday checked the version and it is 3.1. I went ahead and downloaded to flash a copy of the newest version, but haven't had the time or energy to install it since yesterday. lol. Since I am not having any problems with the SYNC module, I may not register it. If I do, I will register the head (came out of 08 Edge) to its proper serial number. There are certainly enough totalled vehicles to get a good VIN out of. Sorry.
Old 4/22/15, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

No I have not on this car. I haven't driven it. I have the same exact install in my 06 Fusion SEL and I added SYNC to it also. It had factory swc's and surprisingly, they worked correctly, even with the automatic air conditioning. I used the extra programmed used module (9-BC) and everything works in both cars, exactly like it comes from the factory.

I just yesterday checked the version and it is 3.1. I went ahead and downloaded to flash a copy of the newest version, but haven't had the time or energy to install it since yesterday. lol. Since I am not having any problems with the SYNC module, I may not register it. If I do, I will register the head (came out of 08 Edge) to its proper serial number. There are certainly enough totalled vehicles to get a good VIN out of. Sorry.
Interesting... I'm thinking that I have operating system 1.1, because in order to make a call, I have to say "Phone", then "Call Person".

The one I have is 9R3Z-14D212-A, are you using that same kit with the sync box that came with it? or are you using Sync Modules out of other cars?
Old 4/23/15, 12:26 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts

There is an update?? Man Id be to afraid of updating my unit in case it messes something up. Everything is working just fine the way it is. Unless this update changes something drastic I think Ill skip it.

To answer AK's question, adding SYNC to my car was relatively easy. Just follow the instructions its comes with and BAM you have SYNC. Now dont expect anything to work like SW controls, cause that would need your unit to be programmed. Its why it comes with its own button module.
But as soon as I integrated SYNC into the car, it worked to an extent.
Old 4/23/15, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Like VGM says, I'm not going to update unless it is something that makes the system inoperable. Otherwise, it works great like it is, so why mess with it? Just my opinion. I like the handsfree part, the part where I tell it to do things and it does......lol.
Old 4/23/15, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
There is an update?? Man Id be to afraid of updating my unit in case it messes something up. Everything is working just fine the way it is. Unless this update changes something drastic I think Ill skip it.

To answer AK's question, adding SYNC to my car was relatively easy. Just follow the instructions its comes with and BAM you have SYNC. Now dont expect anything to work like SW controls, cause that would need your unit to be programmed. Its why it comes with its own button module.
But as soon as I integrated SYNC into the car, it worked to an extent.
To make a phone call, can you simply say "Call Steve"?, or do you have to say "phone", then "call steve".

Quick Reply: Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009