05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/05, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-_- :sleep:
Old 11/9/05, 08:35 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't watch it here at work, but does it look like my video here?

http://home.comcast.net/~dustindufou...ourengines.avi
Old 11/9/05, 11:01 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4@November 9, 2005, 10:38 AM
I can't watch it here at work, but does it look like my video here?

http://home.comcast.net/~dustindufou...ourengines.avi
Nope, your's shows how the button works. His highlights the problem with the low oil pressure light. I still don't know how I feel about this. The button is not the cause of the issue as noted previosly. The only time the light will come on is if you put your key in the ignition and delay pushing the button. Under normal use, I doesn't come on - but the button's getting the blame - which is partially understandable but not the real cause. The same problem exists for anyone with a new Mustang. If you sit in your car with the key 'on', but delay turning it to the 'start' position, you'll get the same thing. The car does not 'know' that the button's there - it only recognizes when the electrical connection is made. That connection is made either with the button or the key - the car doesn't care - it's the timing that is the (minor, infrequent, preventable) problem.
Old 11/9/05, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@November 6, 2005, 5:38 PM
PUSH BUTTON IGNITION ISSUE VIDEO!
Here it is......

http://www.vidiLife.com/reloc.cfm?cryp=010...6AF-4D42-927B-3

::Sorry about it being dark! But the Button is there!!::
I haven't bothered to read the entire thread but...do you get get the low pressure warning if you start it with the key, following the same procedure as with the button?
Old 11/10/05, 06:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by pittperson@November 9, 2005, 8:14 PM
I haven't bothered to read the entire thread but...do you get get the low pressure warning if you start it with the key, following the same procedure as with the button?
If I use the key, I do not get the Low Pressue Indicator! Thats the thing, if I did the same procedures using the key, it does not come on. The only way I am able to use the button and not have the indicator come up is if I hit that button when the meter comes down 1/4 before it climbs back to the LOW indicator.
Old 11/11/05, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Paul,
Good video and verbal explaination.
When the engine is off, there is 0 oil pressure (obviously). When the engine starts (no matter what type of switch is used) and the oil pump begins to turn...there will be oil pressure. You have just discovered a quirk in the gauge/light indications and not a dangerous situation. There is no way a push button starter can cause "actual" low oil pressure. Enjoy that push button without fear!
Old 12/5/05, 05:47 AM

I bet I know what it is! It just hit me while I was thinking about adding the push button to my car. The key switch does more then just start the car in the START position. I bet it disconnects other systems while the engine starts. My 90 stang and bronco switches did. I think that when you start with the key, it disconnects the system or does something to the oil pressure sensor so that when the key is returned to ACC, it's just like the key being turned to ACC from the OFF position. Hence no warning, the system is booting. With the push button start, you never turn off or disconnect the systems that would normally turned off in the START position of the key. Hence, no reboot.

I tried it my car last night, June built 05, nothing. I could not get the low oil pressure warning no matter how long I waited. And to top it off, it looked like that once the car is started and the key returned to ACC, it just the same thing as the key going from OFF to ACC. The oil pressure gauge shot up, then down, then back to where it should be.

To fix this, we are going to have to do a little more work on the relays and circuits to correctly simulate a true START position. I would think that we might acutally be damageing the car if the proper systems don't shut off while the starter is engaging.

You've got voltage drop while starting any car due to the massive drain on the voltage system from the battery. You add that voltage drop to electronics and you may (read probably) have problems with the computer or other sensors that are expecting 12+v and are getting 10 or even lower.

Well, that's my thought on the manner. I may wait a little longer before I do this mod, or at least try to find a way to fully simulate a START position with the switch.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12/5/05, 06:38 AM

Mike good theory but that isn't it. The button taps into the same circuitry as the start position of the key switch. In fact if you push the start button when the car is on, all the systems go dead until you let go. Yes you're right that the start position of the key switch turns some systems off, but the start button doesn't change that.
Old 12/5/05, 11:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

even if you hit the button, by accident when your driving, it cuts out my radio for 5 seconds and my radio comes back on, i did that by accident one time trying to turn the traction control off and i hit the start button instead
Old 12/5/05, 12:43 PM

That would be cool if that is the case. I've got the wiring diagrams for the car so I was going to take a look as soon as I had the time. Well, I'm going to order a honda switch and give it a try. I got a few opinions on it and all were positive. Any thoughts on totally getting rid of having to put the key in there at all? How close do you think you have to be to the steering column with the key to deactivate the anti-theft system? The new corvettes use a similar system but do not require the key to be inserted. I would spend the extra time and money to get that working. Maybe it would require a hidden switch or something? Has anybody with a newer mustang, 06? had the oil pressure problem? Or is it with the first run ones? Just curious since mine wont give that message.

Mike
Old 12/5/05, 01:38 PM

O.K., it does disconnect a circuit when in the key is in start position. Althought it looks to only effect the following:

Heater Blower Motor
Windshield motor
Transmission Shift Selector

All of this is on the BK/PK wire coming from the ignition switch. It gets disconnected when in the START position. I don't see how any of those could possible effect the oil pressure alarm. To test this, those of you that have the push button installed, try starting your car with the button while the windshield wipers or blower motor is on. They should stay moving but should stop if you use the key ignition instead.

The Dark Green wire goes to the starter system, the WH/YE wire gets power in both START and RUN. It does go to the instrument cluster, and a bunch of other stuff. But that wire should already be hot if your key is in the RUN position when you START it.

I still think that if you're going to install this, do it right and fully simulate the START position. Basically what you've done by adding the start button is allow the key to be in two positions at once (START and RUN). This is not how Ford built the car and I could just hear them female ******* about warranty support.

Anyways, it was a theory. Now lets try to start it with just the key being in the car and the push button!!!

Mike
Old 12/23/05, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 68to05stang@December 5, 2005, 2:46 PM
That would be cool if that is the case. I've got the wiring diagrams for the car so I was going to take a look as soon as I had the time. Well, I'm going to order a honda switch and give it a try. I got a few opinions on it and all were positive. Any thoughts on totally getting rid of having to put the key in there at all? How close do you think you have to be to the steering column with the key to deactivate the anti-theft system? The new corvettes use a similar system but do not require the key to be inserted. I would spend the extra time and money to get that working. Maybe it would require a hidden switch or something? Has anybody with a newer mustang, 06? had the oil pressure problem? Or is it with the first run ones? Just curious since mine wont give that message.

Mike

My experience with installing remote start on my '06 is that the PATS system in these are very sensitive. The chip had to be within an inch or so of the column to get it to function correctly and fire the remote start. What I've done is wired directly to the ignition so that turning the key forward does nothing more than go to the ACC selection and unlock the coumn, to start the car you have to push the button. It won't start any other way. This is easily reversable as well. This setup is very similar to the new BMW M5 where you put the key FOB in the column to do nothing more than unlock the column and fire the electrical system, you still have to hit the remote start button to fire it.

Jason
Old 1/5/06, 07:18 PM

For those of you looking for a wire harness for the S2000 start button, I found an old radio control servo connector fits perfectly !
Old 1/5/06, 08:40 PM
V6 Member

All i used was the connection from my old disk drive from my desktop. It all works the same way.
Old 1/5/06, 09:07 PM

Just a little update! $71 off ebay same kit as 50resto.com and comes with the everything. Just ordered another one b/c my buddy wanted one for his GT wish I would have found that before I ordered mine from 50sresto.com..........

GENUINE S2000 START BUTTON KIT *FREE GIFT* Item number: 7996951182

$71 Push button!
Old 2/6/06, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

For the people that bought the kit from e-bay or 50resto, did you have to take the bulb out? If you did, how did you do it? I just got the kit but cant figure how to take it apart to get to the light. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I got my kit from 50resto.com and I didn't remove the bulb.
Old 2/8/06, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05BLKGT @ February 7, 2006, 12:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I got my kit from 50resto.com and I didn't remove the bulb.
[/b][/quote]

Same here, 50resto.com and never removed the bulb.
Old 2/9/06, 06:01 AM

Jason did you figure it out?
Old 2/10/06, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ February 9, 2006, 7:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Jason did you figure it out?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah< actually when I looked at it the kit already had removed the bulb. Thanks for info though Dustin.

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button