05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/08, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing
Old 4/13/08, 04:17 AM

any one have any info on the saleen sterling editions push button start
Old 4/13/08, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, didnt know there was one????
Old 4/13/08, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Looks like they are using the Honda button from the pics I have seen.

Cheers
Old 4/13/08, 06:05 PM
GT Member

It's definately the Honda button. I saw a Sterling endition close up with the botton at the NY Auto Show. Looks exactly like mine.
Old 4/13/08, 06:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by msalomon76
Apparently the Ford start button disables turn on the engine with the key (you still have to turn the key) , but I´m not sure about de 50resto button...
I have it on my 06 and yo can have both ways Just don't "cut" the ignition wire , splice into it and both the button and key works!!
Old 4/13/08, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you look further into this thread, you'll see that you can cut the ignition wire and only have the button start the car. I did this, but just in case, I also have a switch underneath the steering column to allow me to flip between the button or the key to start.

Cheers
Old 4/14/08, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided to order the Honda S2000 engine start button. I went back and forth over that and the Ford GT style and decided that the Honda one is a lot cheaper which saves me some money to afford another goody mod, plus I decided I like the chrome ring which complements the radio ***** and the way it mounts inset of the power point hole.

I know to some it seems redundant and uncessary to have the start button, bit it is sure more visually interesting than the useless power point with the little flimsy cap that I am always afraid of loosing.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/14/08 at 04:07 PM.
Old 4/21/08, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I finally got my start button and it is installed! Looks great and I am happy I chose the Honda button with the chrome ring that compliments the radio *****. I chose to cut the green wire on the ignition switch harness and have the start button start the engine exclusively.

I discovered on 2008 Mustangs they changed the power point hole in the dash bezel so that you no longer have to trim away a plastic barrell on the backside. All you have to do for the Honda button is just trim the diameter of the hole just enough for the button to pop in.
Old 4/21/08, 09:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet. Congrats on the successful install.
Old 4/21/08, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

I just bought the Ignited one, in gray (since my interior is black and gray). I figured most of you have purchased the red one, so I'll be posting pics when I get it installed
Old 4/21/08, 09:29 PM

I finally got my start button and it is installed! Looks great and I am happy I chose the Honda button with the chrome ring that compliments the radio *****. I chose to cut the green wire on the ignition switch harness and have the start button start the engine exclusively.
Congrats!, do you get the "low oil pressure" warning when you start the car with the button?
Old 4/21/08, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
If you look further into this thread, you'll see that you can cut the ignition wire and only have the button start the car. I did this, but just in case, I also have a switch underneath the steering column to allow me to flip between the button or the key to start.

Cheers

how do you turn it off if you did not use the key?
Old 4/21/08, 09:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAGE91169
how do you turn it off if you did not use the key?
You'd still turn it off using the key, you just wouldn't be able to turn it on because the 'start' wire is cut, not the 'on' wire.
Old 4/21/08, 10:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by msalomon76
Congrats!, do you get the "low oil pressure" warning when you start the car with the button?
I never paid attention until you asked. I was so curious to know that I went outside just now to see what happens. The first time I started it no oil pressure warning. The second time, it came on for a moment until the oil pressure gauge reached the normal reading. So far I have only seen the low oil pressure warning come on once and that is probably normal. I'd say if the warning does not go off within moments after starting and the engine builds oil pressure then there would be a problem.

I wired the start button the same way used in the Ford Racing PDF installation file for the genuine accessory Ford GT start button. There is techically no difference whether the ignition switch is turned to start it or whether you use a button to push. All you are doing is redirecting the current to the start button instead of the start position on the regular ignition switch. I used the wires that are in the connector harness that plugs into the back of the ignition switch. This is the only proper way to connect ANY start switch. Do not tap into any other power source. It is not even necessary to do so regardless of what any manufacturer's instruction says. The white wire on the ignition switch harness feeds the ignition switch power and the green wire on the opposite end of the ignition switch connector starts the engine. I tapped into the white wire with a Scotchlock connector. Do not cut the white wire in half. The green wire I did cut in half and disabled the ability to start with the key.

The radio goes off with the start button just like it does with the regular key switch when it is turned to start. This start button kit I ordered came with a relay. It's use was recommended for the durability of the push button itself and I decided to use it. From the relay, I connected the ground wire to the ground wire that was no longer used for the power outlet. The Honda start button has illumination. It's wired into the main wire powering the relay so that when you turn the key to run position it stays illuminated.

Optionally you can cut the green wire from the harness and just have the start button start the engine exclusively, or you can just tap into it without cutting it in half and retain starting the engine by both the key and start button.

And yes, when ignition key is turned off it kills the ignition. If you try to push the start button when the car is already started it will not spin the starter and grind it. There are no funky messages or strange lights in the instrument cluster when I use it.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/22/08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 4/21/08, 11:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jim010

Cheers
Your flip button is not even necessary. Just tap into the green wire without cutting it free from the connector and it will start with either the key or button.
Old 4/21/08, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Here's the one thing I wasn't 100% sure about doing. I needed a 12v source to power the button, I used the power for the cigar lighter.
See the white wire on the opposite side of the harness?... That is the recommended wire to tap into for your start button 12V source which supplies the ignition key switch. No fuse is necessary as it is already a protected circuit. If you need a ground for a relay, just tap into the ground no longer used for the cigarette lighter.

This green wire illustrated is the one you may cut in half to make the engine start exclusively with the start button.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/21/08 at 11:41 PM.
Old 4/22/08, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is the result:

Old 4/22/08, 06:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lookin good!!
Old 4/22/08, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Your flip button is not even necessary. Just tap into the green wire without cutting it free from the connector and it will start with either the key or button.
The flip button is not to enable the start button. I wanted the start button to be the only way to start the car - not an optional way to start it. At the same time, I wanted to be able to give that ability back to the key just in case. I usually have the key 'off'.

As for the oil pressure warning - I don't get it unless I wait a touch too long between turning the key to 'on' and pressing the button. As I said before, you should get the same thing if you turned the key to 'on' and waited before you turned it the rest of the way to start the car.

Try it.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button