05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/08, 06:19 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAGE91169
Here is a question for those who only use the button to start their car no key needed. do you just push the button a second time to stop the car or is there some other method?
I think you misread something. Nobody's doing that. People are making it so it starts with both the key and button only, and won't start with just the key. In other words, you have to use the button to start the car, but in order to use the button the key also has to be in the cylinder. ( I didn't do it this way )
Old 5/10/08, 09:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I think you misread something. Nobody's doing that. People are making it so it starts with both the key and button only, and won't start with just the key. In other words, you have to use the button to start the car, but in order to use the button the key also has to be in the cylinder. ( I didn't do it this way )
Either way it is wired whether you retain the function of the key start or not, to turn the engine off you just turn the key to the off position. The start button only starts the engine and that is all.
Old 5/10/08, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RAGE91169
Here is a question for those who only use the button to start their car no key needed. do you just push the button a second time to stop the car or is there some other method?

In all cases if it is properly wired, you still have to insert the key in the switch, turn it to unlock the steering column and leave it in the run position. Then you push the start button instead of twisting the key to start the engine. To turn the engine off, you simply turn the key off. The start button only functions to start the engine in the key run position.
Old 5/12/08, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think there was a way to use the button with no key. The microchip in the key is needed to operate the car. I'd be interested to know if there's a way, but I highly doubted from what I've read...
Old 5/17/08, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Links to dash trim removal are broken... any tips to removing them to get to the power port area?
Old 5/17/08, 07:39 AM
I lust for a M24

These are on www.2005stang.com

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...81/console.pdf

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ceterpanel.pdf
Old 5/17/08, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The removal of the audio/HVAC trimplate is not accurate for my 08 model. The HVAC controls are attached to the trim panel and you have to disconnect the two harness connectors in the back before pulling the trimplate from the front of the stack.
Old 5/17/08, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

so is is necessary to remove the center console or can I just remove the center trim?
Old 5/17/08, 09:16 PM
I lust for a M24

If I remember right, in order to get the center trim off, you at least need to remove the upper half of the center console. It's about a 3 minute job if you take your time.
Old 5/17/08, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Two phillips screws under the back of the armrest lid hold the top half of the console to the bottom half. The rest easily snaps out of place. Removing the top half of the console provides clearance for the vertical trim on both sides of the center stack to be removed. Just grip each piece and pull it towards the rear of the car and they will snap out of place. The audio/HVAC trim bezel is held in place with I believe six 7mm hex screws. If you have a newer Mustang, you must first release the harness connectors on the back of the HVAC dial switch unit. The entire trim bezel will now come out.
Old 5/26/08, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

I just got my start button in grey (I have a GT/CS with the 2 tone leather interior, I think the grey is going to look more stock than red). I'll be taking pics tomorrow and posting. I'm pretty happy with the quality so far!

Button is from ignited...
Old 5/26/08, 11:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
I just got my start button in grey (I have a GT/CS with the 2 tone leather interior, I think the grey is going to look more stock than red). I'll be taking pics tomorrow and posting. I'm pretty happy with the quality so far!

Button is from ignited...
Technically nothing is going to look stock because no Mustang ever came with it...

So the start button in the Ford GT does not look stock because it is red?

I tell you what would have been perfect is if we were able to get a black Ford Power start button like some of the Euro Fords have.

The Ford GT start button is the most authentic accessory because it is made for a Ford and marketed as a genuine accessory for a Mustang.

However I just love the Honda start button because of the chrome ring matching the chrome rings on my 08 radio ***** and the way it fits inset of the power point opening instead of over the face of it.

To me all the other aftermarket start buttons look like auto parts store add-ons...

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/26/08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 7/14/08, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I didn't like how dim the Honda button lit up, so I took it apart to look inside to see what I could do. I did this awhile ago, but never got around to posting, so here it is.

The botton assembly itself is encased in a chromed cylinder. On the side of this cylinder there is a hole where you can see a black screw inside it (1st photo). This is the lightbulb. A quarter turn will unlock it and the lightbulb will fall out (2nd photo). The bulb itself has a red rubber diffuser covering it. This diffuser is the problem, as it dims the light too much. I took the diffuser off and coated the bulb in red enamel paint (opaque, not translucent). I gave it a few coats, and then put it back together. The result is a much brighter button when illuminated - but still not quite as much as the red as the hazards on the right of the button. Overall, I'm happy, but later on down the road, I may try replacing the bulb with a red LED.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Engine Start Button-1.jpg   Engine Start Button-2.jpg   Engine Start Button-3.jpg  
Old 7/17/08, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep - you emailed me about that a little while back - I need to give that a try...
Old 7/17/08, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I should point out that you can change the color of the lighting to whatever you'd like this way - just paint the bulb the color you want. I stuck with the red, but blue would be quite nice too. A really easy mod for the Honda button. Just remember that the rubber diffuser does NOT go back on.

Cheers
Old 7/18/08, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to my local honda dealer here in Toronto and they wanted $90 CDN for the start button. CRAZY
Old 8/7/08, 07:43 AM

@all with "oil pressure warning":

your engine start button is wired wrong

the ignition switch has 3 positions:
1 Run/Acc
2 Run/Start
3 Start

if you turn your key in position 2 and want to start the car, all accessory devices (like radio, front lights...) are turned off, to provide maximum power for the starter.

if you just bypass the dark green wire to start the car, the accessory devices are not turned off and the enormous power consumption of the starter is maybe "confusing" some sensors like the oil pressure sensor.

so if you want to start the car by a starter button you have to "emulate" the ignition switch.

its very simple. if you push the button you have to interrupt power to accessory devices and provide power to the starter.
this can be done with relays.

How to:
find connector 250 to the ignition switch on the left side under the steering wheel.
cut the black/pink and the green wire.
wire everything as shown in the circuit diagram.

ps: if you still want to start the car with the key, don't cut the green wire.
Attached Images  
Old 12/11/08, 05:43 PM

S2000 Start Button with Fordracingparts Instruction

Hi to all,

have someone used the instruction from www.fordracingparts.com to install the Startbutton from the S2000 into the 2005 GT?
Seems that there are only 2 wires to connect (Step24+25)
The idea is to use the S2000 Button to switch a relay (connected to the original cigartette lighter cables) and the relaycontact to the ignition ''spliced'' to the green and white (permit to start also with the key)...
Is it possble to do it in this way ???

THX
Old 12/28/08, 01:38 PM

Nobody do it in this way (like i write in my post before) ???
Old 11/23/09, 10:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone have the FORD GT Start Button? I'm interested to find our if it illuminates or not. thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button