05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/08, 09:23 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really want to cure your oil light from coming on, you can either:

1) disconnect the sensor and ground the wire

2) use a 12V time delay on relay. Part number 7268K11 from www.mcmaster.com should work. I'd buy a piece of DIN rail and mount the DIN rail under the dash somewhere and hook the relay socket up to it. That will keep it in place. I wouldn't mount this relay inside the engine bay where it can get wet.

Run the trigger part of the relay to an ignition-on source. Run the oil sensor wire to the common lead. Run the normally closed lead to a ground. Run the normally open lead to the oil pressure sensor. Set the timer for 5-10 seconds and you're good to go.

This tricks the car into thinking that it's reading oil pressure, then after the 5-10 seconds, the relay switches the computer back to the actual oil pressure sender.

I haven't done this yet but it will work in theory

Last edited by dustindu4; 4/23/08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 4/23/08, 09:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have your start switch wired right it's not even necessary to resort to this...

Occasionally getting a low oil pressure warning is perfectly normal after you first start the car. If it doesn't go out within seconds I would say there is a problem.

I have only gotten the low oil pressure warning one time after a couple of subsequent starts testing the start button. It has not done it again and works perfectly normal.
Old 4/24/08, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never paid attention until you asked. I was so curious to know that I went outside just now to see what happens. The first time I started it no oil pressure warning. The second time, it came on for a moment until the oil pressure gauge reached the normal reading. So far I have only seen the low oil pressure warning come on once and that is probably normal. I'd say if the warning does not go off within moments after starting and the engine builds oil pressure then there would be a problem.
Thanks! You are right! In fact I was not using the button because I was afraid it could happen something to the car, ... I am not getting the warning now...
Old 5/4/08, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread already, but who sells the complete Honda start button kit? I've seen the push module for sale but that does not come with necessary harness wiring.
Old 5/4/08, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hmmm, i dont know if anyone sells the honda button as a plug and play kit for the mustang.....
Old 5/4/08, 06:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think it's PNP, but I remember seeing a kit at 5.0 resto that said it was a complete kit w/ wiring.
Old 5/4/08, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
I apologize if this has been brought up in this thread already, but who sells the complete Honda start button kit? I've seen the push module for sale but that does not come with necessary harness wiring.
Here is the seller on eBay. This is where I got mine from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-S2000-ST...QQcmdZViewItem

That kit supplies a relay. I recommend attaching the relay on the left lower side of the center stack trim plate. Underneath that trimplate there is a very convenient slotted tab to attach the relay with an interior trim screw and a slide on C-nut clip. This is a good location because if by chance the relay ever goes bad you will not have to completely remove the audio/HVAC trim panel.

Also, it is absolutely not necessary to remove the audio unit from the center of the dash to install this. Some installation instructions have suggested you have to do this to mount the relay to the metal bracket in the center stack. Another thing that is not necessary to remove is the left rocker sill panel nor the left kick panel. You can work the left lower dash panel out without removing those items.

During the install you will have to unplug the headlamp switch, remove it from the lower dash panel then plug the headlamp switch back in and let it hang. The reason for this is when you unplug the headlamp switch the dash lights turn on.

Another thing, you can use the ground wire on the power outlet instead of trying to find or attach a screw to ground elsewhere.

If you route the wires from the top of the center stack, be sure to route them around the left center stack bracket so that the wires do not come in contact with the sharp edge side of the bracket.

I bought some of that flexible black wire casing to hide the wires going from the relay to the ignition switch.

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/4/08 at 10:11 PM.
Old 5/4/08, 10:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I don't think it's PNP, but I remember seeing a kit at 5.0 resto that said it was a complete kit w/ wiring.

Nothing to me looks better than the Honda kit. It may cost more but it looks the most like it is stock for the Mustang, even more so than the Ford GT start button which costs $20-$40 more.

The Honda button does glow, but not the whole button. Just the ENGINE START lettering lights up.
Old 5/4/08, 10:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
hmmm, i dont know if anyone sells the honda button as a plug and play kit for the mustang.....
Nothing is plug and play, not even the Ford Racing GT start button. However the Honda kit I got which includes the relay already has everything wired up and ready to splice or connect into the green and white wires on the back of the ignition switch connector.

The Ford GT button has a nice wire harness with a disconnect. However you still have to splice and connect into the green and white wires on teh back of the ignition switch connector.

Remember, you do not cut the white wire in half. Strip and solder a small section or use a scotchlock connector.

The green wire can optionally be cut in half to make the start button start exclusively without the key, or you could leave it conected along with the start button and have two ways of starting the engine.
Old 5/5/08, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Your help is appreciated. I have the Honda starter unit on order. I will have to buy the wires/relay separately. Now I need to find the *right* instructions to wire this myself.
Old 5/5/08, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You do not need a relay at all. The Ford Racing kit does not include one. As for making the connections, best to splice into the white wire and solder, the wrap with electrical tape. Same for the green wire hook up. To disable the ignition key, you can simply remove the green wire pin from the connecter (pull out the red insert, push small paper clip into the pinarea to release the pin) and tape it back onto itself. That way it is ready to be installed (simply push it back in place) if ever needed.
Old 5/5/08, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd like to allow startup from key and button, so I'm not going to cut any wires, but rather splice into them.

So no relay needed? All I need to do is tap into the white and green wires behind the steering wheel?
Old 5/6/08, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i didnt use a relay either... i hardly ever use the button actually
Old 5/6/08, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i didnt use a relay either... i hardly ever use the button actually
So you just tapped into the two wires under the dash, mounted the button, and thats it?
Old 5/6/08, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
You do not need a relay at all. The Ford Racing kit does not include one. As for making the connections, best to splice into the white wire and solder, the wrap with electrical tape. Same for the green wire hook up. To disable the ignition key, you can simply remove the green wire pin from the connecter (pull out the red insert, push small paper clip into the pinarea to release the pin) and tape it back onto itself. That way it is ready to be installed (simply push it back in place) if ever needed.
Yeah it's debatable whether the relay is necessary with the Honda button. I don't believe it really is necessary, but it came with the kit I ordered. Some people say the Honda button won't last as long unless you use the relay. Of course the Ford Racing button does not use a relay. I don't believe the current would be any less going through the start button using a relay or not. All the relay does is send power to the car's factory relay which sends power to the starter selenoid and interrupts at the very least the audio system when the ignition is being started.

Don't forget, if you are buying just the Honda start button without the relay, you will make your life easier by getting a computer disc drive wiring harness with the connectors on each end. They fit onto the small pins on the inside of the back of the Honda start button.
Old 5/6/08, 04:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

So you just tapped into the two wires under the dash, mounted the button, and thats it?
With the Honda button you will need a ground from the start button because it has illumination for the ENGINE START letters. Just use the ground that was used for the power outlet. The Honda button only uses three of the four pins in this installation.
Old 5/6/08, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

watchdevil, thanks so much for the direction. This install sounds incredibly easy. I will pickup a 5-pin computer connector and then splice three connections (white wire, green wire, and ground wire). I think even *I* can do this install if its as simple as it sounds.
Old 5/6/08, 05:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

watchdevil, thanks so much for the direction. This install sounds incredibly easy. I will pickup a 5-pin computer connector and then splice three connections (white wire, green wire, and ground wire). I think even *I* can do this install if its as simple as it sounds.
Computers use a four pin connector. It will slide perfectly onto the Honda start button's four right pins. If you look directly at the pins from the back of the button, the pins used are the 3 on the right. The 2 left pins are not used.

The first pin on the right goes to the green wire on the ignition switch harness. The second pin from the right goes to the white wire on the ignition switch harness. The center pin in the back of the button is the ground you attach to the ground used for the power outlet.

Also I keep reading and researching the Honda start button. The contact area inside the switch is not that great so everywhere I read is recommmending the relay for longevity.

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/6/08 at 05:50 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
A couple of people have asked me waht I did to make the Honda button's red light brighter. I took pics, but I am at work right know, so I'll post them later. I took out the bulb from the starter assembly, which is accessible without taking the button apart. It is the round hole that has a black 'screw' inside. Turn the screw 1/4 and it should fall out. The bulb has a diffuser on it. Remove it. That alone makes it brighter, but the light will be white. I painted the bulb with red enamel paint (not transulcent). It is now much brighter, but still not as bright as the hazard light button to the right. Down the road, I'll just replace the bulb with a red LED.

Cheers
Old 5/10/08, 01:13 AM

Here is a question for those who only use the button to start their car no key needed. do you just push the button a second time to stop the car or is there some other method?

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button