05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/05, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gauge wire did you guys use for power, ground, and output?

EDIT: Also, look what I found incase anyone is interested... http://www.karkraft.com/miscellaneous_for_sale.htm
Old 5/2/05, 06:49 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pittperson@May 1, 2005, 4:44 PM
What gauge wire did you guys use for power, ground, and output?

EDIT: Also, look what I found incase anyone is interested... http://www.karkraft.com/miscellaneous_for_sale.htm
that button would be cool if it fits. I still think the Honda one looks better
Old 5/2/05, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

So has anyone found a manufacturer that makes one of these that sez 'eject' on it? I mean, engine start? how pedestrian

I actually have a selfish reason for that request... I want to take one of these buttons, with the eject text, mount it in the front lighter socket. Then wire it to eject the rear trunk lid from inside. Double function and gee whiz factor.
Old 5/3/05, 11:09 AM

now this would be a cool button and is totally doable

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33740

[attachmentid=19920]
Old 5/3/05, 12:07 PM
Banned

My boss has a Mercades SL 55 convertible, and it has a button start on it. He has a card in his wallet that allows him to lock , enter, and start the car with no keys. The car didnt even come with a key.very cool.

This car is amazing. $120,000 car. I drive it to do the daily bank deposit sometimes....WOW!!
Old 5/3/05, 07:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+April 30, 2005, 5:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ April 30, 2005, 5:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dustindu4@April 30, 2005, 3:36 PM
John did you notice that underneath the center console there was already a plug for a second power port?
If you're talking what I'm thinking about, I believe that plug is for people who have the auto tranny. I think that plug is what supplies the lights, etc, for the automatic gearshift. Am I wrong or did you notice something else?
[/b][/quote]
There's a power plug outlet on the lower front side in the console box just like the one in the top center of the dash. I believe it's even discussed in the owner's manual, too!
Old 5/3/05, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@April 14, 2005, 10:20 PM
So I got my Honda S2000 button. The Honda part number is 35881-S2A-911. I read elsewhere that the button will require "fitting". I dunno about this car. I measure the minimum diameter for it to fit is 1.266".

There is a light bulb inside of it. It comes with a little cover over it. I guess if you wanted the light it would have to be taken off.

read on to next post
I received my Honda button today. I've already dismantled it to paint it aluminum/clear. I found the bulb cover and removed it since I wanted the light. The Stang is at the dealer until next week to fix a bug in the clear coat, change the squeeking brakes, and fix the popping struts. I can't wait to get it back so I can continue with my mods. (lookin for Mach 1 wheels and waiting for the CDC shaker hood) I guess I'm addicted..... wait, that's another thread. Thanks for the great info on the install.
[attachmentid=20030]
Old 5/3/05, 09:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisM+May 3, 2005, 8:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChrisM @ May 3, 2005, 8:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 30, 2005, 5:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dustindu4
@April 30, 2005, 3:36 PM
John did you notice that underneath the center console there was already a plug for a second power port?

If you're talking what I'm thinking about, I believe that plug is for people who have the auto tranny. I think that plug is what supplies the lights, etc, for the automatic gearshift. Am I wrong or did you notice something else?
There's a power plug outlet on the lower front side in the console box just like the one in the top center of the dash. I believe it's even discussed in the owner's manual, too!

[/b][/quote]

Yes, Chris is correct. I'm not sure what Dustin ment because there's also an additional plug I described above. If you use that one, it operates with the dimmer switch, and is a great place to power the light in the bulb (if the button you buy has a seperate power lead for it). According to Dustin, this will not work w/ the Honda button because it uses the same power lead for both the bulb and to trip the starter.
Old 5/4/05, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@May 3, 2005, 11:22 PM

According to Dustin, this will not work w/ the Honda button because it uses the same power lead for both the bulb and to trip the starter.
that is correct!
Old 5/4/05, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Gnirod1@May 3, 2005, 11:13 PM

I received my Honda button today. I've already dismantled it to paint it aluminum/clear.
[attachmentid=20030]
Have you decided how you are going to wire it to the button? You going to solder the wires or find a harness? You really only need a 3 prong harness and you can cut the white plastic away if you have to. I wanna see pics of what you painted.
Old 5/5/05, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Does anone know if the Lexus button will fit??

Thanks!
Old 5/5/05, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by dustindu4+May 4, 2005, 3:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ May 4, 2005, 3:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Gnirod1@May 3, 2005, 11:13 PM

I received my Honda button today. I've already dismantled it to paint it aluminum/clear.
[attachmentid=20030]
Have you decided how you are going to wire it to the button? You going to solder the wires or find a harness? You really only need a 3 prong harness and you can cut the white plastic away if you have to. I wanna see pics of what you painted.
[/b][/quote]

I plan on soldering the wires and then filling the plastic plug with a small amount of RTV to keep them from touching. I have been looking for a plug to work in my piles of old computer stuff, but have not found one yet. I even checked at FRYs electronics (computer geek heaven) and could not find one. I plan on going to the fuse box as you did. I also took off the cover from the light. Basically, what you can see as chrome on your button, I will have as aluminum like I did my bezels. It was not easy getting the red button out of the case so I could paint. I'll have it done this weekend and I post a pic of it. I won't have my Stang back from the dealer until Wed. But I'll take more pics when I install it then. Thanks
[attachmentid=20233]
Old 5/6/05, 04:03 PM

John you think if you maybe cut the ignition wire so it ran just to the start button instead of tapping it in would disable the key turn start? Sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't think I would do it without a solid state relay to make it more robust. God help you if your start button dies.

I think if I set it up this way I would wire up some quick disconnects above the pedals so if the worst case happens you could reconnect the factory ignition and get moving without ripping the car apart in the middle of nowhere.
Old 5/6/05, 04:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I think it would. Once the wire's cut, you'd have to have the end on the dash side connected to the button. That should disable the key start, but I see no benefit to it. Plus, if your button ever goes bad, you better have AAA's number handy.

Edit: oops, you edited your post before mine posted... looks like we're on the same page.
Old 5/6/05, 05:33 PM

What I think I'm gonna do is hook up a hidden toggle switch above the pedals somewhere, so I can turn the key start on and off if I need it. Then I will get a solid state relay and mount it near the start button and use the juice from the lighter socket to power the starter (attach an in line 3 amp fuse of course) and use my old power circuit from the fuse box just to power the button/relay activation. Should be easy.
Old 5/6/05, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@May 4, 2005, 3:14 PM

I wanna see pics of what you painted.
I have the start button painted and ready, I just need to get my Stang back from the dealer to put it in. Maybe Wednesday.
[attachmentid=20360][attachmentid=20361][attachmentid=20362]
Old 5/6/05, 07:01 PM

I like it but I hope the paint doesn't wear off
Old 5/6/05, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@May 6, 2005, 6:04 PM
I like it but I hope the paint doesn't wear off
I thought of that, I wet sanded it and then painted it. Then I wet sanded the paint and clear coated it. Both with as high a quality paint as one can buy in a spray can. I believe that it will last as long as any other clear coated surface. Since it is not in the elements, I think that it will be ok. I guess only time will tell.
Old 5/11/05, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok, I just finished installing my engine start button. I bought the ignited button. WHAT A PAIN IN THE hiney! this button is not mustang friendly. I'm not going to go into all of the details as to why since it probably wouldnt make sense without seeing it in person. I'll post pictures of what I had to rig up in order to get it to fit SEMI tight in the power outlet hole.

Anyway, I have one question. My button came with only two screws for wires. One for the power and one for the ignition. There wasnt a screw for a ground wire? My button is the non-illuminated one and does not have a constant complete circuit. The circuit is only completed for the split second that the button is pushed in to start the car. My question is, should I have a ground wire?
Old 5/11/05, 11:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by pittperson@May 11, 2005, 9:45 PM
Ok, I just finished installing my engine start button. I bought the ignited button. WHAT A PAIN IN THE hiney! this button is not mustang friendly. I'm not going to go into all of the details as to why since it probably wouldnt make sense without seeing it in person. I'll post pictures of what I had to rig up in order to get it to fit SEMI tight in the power outlet hole.

Anyway, I have one question. My button came with only two screws for wires. One for the power and one for the ignition. There wasnt a screw for a ground wire? My button is the non-illuminated one and does not have a constant complete circuit. The circuit is only completed for the split second that the button is pushed in to start the car. My question is, should I have a ground wire?
The only reason you would need a ground wire is if it were lighted. An unlighted switch will not need a ground wire. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button