05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/06, 09:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks a lot like the button from a Ford GT.
Old 11/27/06, 03:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
That looks a lot like the button from a Ford GT.
I think you're right. Here's a pic of the GT start button:

I found it for sale at http://www.fordparts.com/ for $114.89, part# 4G7Z-11572-AA (MSRP was $208.42). I'll order it and see how I can make it work in the Mustang. Maybe I'll contact CDC for some suggestions...
Old 11/28/06, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Louie
Maybe I'll contact CDC for some suggestions...
Hats off to Mr. Patrick Lee from CDC!

Here's what he replied to my question regarding what they had to do to install the Ford GT start engine button in their Mustang:

Hello!

The start button is actually fairly simple to install. The button itself
requires no modification, except that you have to cut off the plug on the
end of the wires (unless you can find an opposite match for it). It is a
simple two-wire momentary switch. For wiring directions, I used the
directions available at the link below, which worked pretty well.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/downloads/instructions/LRS-11572K.pdf

Other than that, you will have to 'flatten' the back of the bezel where this
button mounts to, in order for the button to seat properly, but it's nothing
major. I hope this helps! Thanks again,

Patrick Lee

Classic Design Concepts, LLC
1880 W. West Maple Rd.
Walled Lake, MI 48390
248-624-7997

www.classicdesignconcepts.com
Sounds easy even to me, I think I'll try it!
Old 12/5/06, 11:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
deactiviating the key

It was mentioned that someone here wanted to rig the ingition button, so that was the only way to start the car, and then have a switch to flip back to the key when needed. Has anyone done this?
Old 12/5/06, 01:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by jim010
It was mentioned that someone here wanted to rig the ingition button, so that was the only way to start the car, and then have a switch to flip back to the key when needed. Has anyone done this?
It would be easy to do. You would just need a toggle switch. You would cut the green wire under the column instead of just tapping into it. The toggle switch would be installed there.

But no, haven't done it.
Old 12/11/06, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have put in a switch to flip between the button and the key - works no problem. I used a black rocker switch and mounted it underneath on the steering column cover.

Thanks guys! I think it looks great and is cool feature. I used the Honda button from restmod.

The letters iluminate, but are not very bright on the button. Can I do someting about that?

05gtOCD, noticed that you have a pic of the power wheels mustang - got a blue one for my son too. Cool toy.
Old 12/11/06, 05:56 PM
I lust for a M24

I don't know anything about the Honda button, I'd say maybe a brighter bulb, but that may melt the housing and/or worse.

Yup, got the PowerWheels toy. My son should be born within the next two-three weeks.
Old 12/12/06, 07:27 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim010
yeah I have such a switch, I flip it to enable/disable key turn start. I always leave it disabled for security reasons. When I bring it in for service I turn it back on.
Old 12/14/06, 12:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

05gtOCD

Congratulations on your coming baby!

I have had some people ask me about my switch. I Did exactly what 05gtOCD said. Between the tap and the connection to the ignition, I cut the green wire and connected the wires leading to the switch there. The switch itself is a black rocker switch I bought form The Source (Radio Shack) There are switches that light up with a red LED when activated, but I got the plain one. I drilled a hole and enlarged it with a dremel to get a tight fit on the steering column cover, and mounted the switch to the right of where the up/down steering adjustment is. When off, only the button works. When on, both key and button work.
Old 12/14/06, 01:29 PM
I lust for a M24

That's a good idea with the switch. Thanks for the luck, I'm sitting next to my wife in the hospital 'birth room' now. (wireless modem) All's good so far.
Old 12/15/06, 11:32 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
05gt-

hope everything 'came out OK' yesterday- wifes friend had a daughter yesterday at Aultman -

wont be long before that powerwheels will need new tires
kids grow quick- 3 boys here, 7/8/10, the last 5 years they literally wore out a PW jeep(got video of 3and4 yrs old accidentally backflipping it!), 3 PW go carts- youngest found he could actually flip those on their sides when he was almost 5- yikes!...wore 2 sets of tires each- actually they still ran, but they outgrew them.
now theyre working on a dirtbike- and are getting a little quad(with a throttle limiter finally!) for Christmas... My 8 yr old loves cars, and tinkering- he was only 5 when I decided for lack of common sense to redo my neighbors old galaxie- but he was out there every day if there was something 'safe' he could do...made even cleaning and painting on a rusty mess a lot more fun! a while back he said to me 'Daddy I wanna rebuild that bigblock', music to my ears...my 69 mustang has sat for 20 odd plus years rotting in my old garage, along with the 429 from a car i wrecked at 16 (mom bought when I was 8!) is eventually gonna wind up in there- he's gonna be the one that gets me off my butt and finally starting on it

just seems like such a short time since they were babies- and the 8 yr old was a rough start- born on Easter Sunday (in Akron), given zero percent chance of survival, three months at rainbow in NICU, three open heart surgeries, two caths, a rare lung condition that the books called 'uniformly fatal in infancy'...yet now he's perfectly healthy,the only worry with him is getting him to slow down-just like his brothers...but man he loves to take stuff apart to see what makes it tick- worse than i was as a kid...that scares me

heres a link to the mess of a galaxie project we did:
http://hometown.aol.com/ford4v429/gal1.html

Sheesh...guess I couldnt have wandered much further off topic- anyway- congrats, hope everyone is doing well- cant wait to see a pic of him in the little mustang - born to be a ford guy huh
Old 12/16/06, 05:25 PM
I lust for a M24

I'm at Aultman too, 6 babies were born here that night. But to stay on topic, I'll start a new thread shortly. Thanks for the congrats!
Old 1/17/07, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Congratulations, 05gtOCD ... I've have #2 due in March, myself. Guess I'll have to add another baby seat in the back of the Mustang. The nice thing about a convertible, is that it is pretty easy to get the kids in and out.

I had some questions as to where I had my rocker switch that flipped from the start button to the key, so here are some pictures.
Old 1/17/07, 08:38 PM
I lust for a M24

Javier, word of advice - SLEEP NOW!!! Trust me. Congrats and best of luck.

That's the perfect switch and in the perfect spot. Thanks for those pics! Great idea.
Old 1/23/07, 02:27 AM
V6 Member

has anybody figured out what will happen if you press the switch whiel the car is on
Old 1/24/07, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes. Nothing will happen. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried it.
Old 2/6/07, 05:15 PM

can you have push button start and a remote starter
Old 2/6/07, 05:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by RAGE91169
can you have push button start and a remote starter
I don't see why not. I don't have any experience w/ it personally, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.
If you can use a key to start a car w/ remote start, then you should be able to use the button. Again, all's the button does is make the same connection that your key does when it's turned fully forward.
Old 2/7/07, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I don't see why not. I don't have any experience w/ it personally, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.
If you can use a key to start a car w/ remote start, then you should be able to use the button. Again, all's the button does is make the same connection that your key does when it's turned fully forward.

would i be able to use the switch to disable the need for a key
Old 2/7/07, 01:42 PM

Jack Bauer - What a great modification! I had one on my Sandrail and loved it. I tried to link to the PDF for console removal instructions and was not able to do so. Can you help me out? My user name/email is: jheaton88@sbcglobal.net Thank you.

JIm

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button