GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Intake Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 02:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by zwooky@March 13, 2005, 4:04 PM
Bryan,
Just curious, what do you change when you "Tuned for Headers"?
I just got my SCT and am using a premium tune it came with. I have headers on the car but haven't had a custom tune yet because the local speed shop hasn't done any tuning on 05's yet and I want to make sure they know what there doing.
Thanks for any help!

P.S. Can anyone recomend a good tuner/shop in the Tampa/Orlando area?
Give Sam a call at Coastal Dyno over on Causeway west of Brandon. Nice guy and knows his stuff
Old 3/18/05, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 2005RedGT@March 18, 2005, 3:13 PM
Looks like it - basic cause and effect seems to reflect that. We will only know if we take it out and flash back OR check the code.

Also, I told my tuner about it and he has told me that the guys that also installed the JLT Intake this past Saturday is also having the issues as some of us. He reflashed him and it went away. But it may come back, just as mine did and others.

The bad part about it is it takes a few hours or days for it to come back on. We need a way to read the codes. :/

SCT needs to get the new XCal2 out so it can read the codes for us :P

-Bryan
Well, I hope this gets resolved. You might want to let Jay know about this so he can fix it.
Old 3/18/05, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

I sent him an email , about something else, and he has yet to respond. He might be occupied.

I will email him about this.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, well after reading all the post about the CEL and putting 2 and 2 together it seems "most" getting it have headers.

It also seems as though some are factory problems that the dealer is fixing.

If someone can point the finger at the JLT or the tune please let me know of the exact problem and I will get to the bottom of it.

As I said in my email to 2005redgt none of the 5 local cars have got the CEL and NONE have headers. This may be a conincidence, but I don't know.

My suggestion is if you have more then a axle back, pulleys and motion plates you will need custom tuning.

I am not dodging the finger, but would like as much info as possiable.
Let me know
guys.
Jay
Old 3/18/05, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

trying to find this is going to be difficult. But here are some things I see as well :

1. Headers can be one of the factors

2. The ones that are having issues are using Extreme Tune vs. being programmed on-site by DP Racing.

3. Could be coincidence with the Coil Pack problem.

Any other ideas guys ? Good trial and error / cause and effect may help us out.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm ready willing and able to fix any problem with the kit I can.
Let's figure it out.
Jay
Old 3/18/05, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

Hopefully Sunday or Monday I'm gonna get my code checked to see if it the coil pack problem. Either way I'm also gonna take it in for a custom tune. The DTP tune is great but it doesn't account for the headers.
Old 3/18/05, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Any updates on the JLT Predator tune?
Old 3/18/05, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Vegasjay has headers and does not seem to have these problems with the C&L CAI and tune. So maybe its the tune? He may have made adjustments to the c&l tune, but I am not sure.

I am curious about this because I plan on headers myself in the future.
Old 3/18/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Bryan-

I just took my car out for dinner and the light came back on so the coil packs didn't fix it. I am going to try and tighten everything down on the CAI again tomorrow and see if I can find any possible leaks.

-Tim
Old 3/18/05, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow this is great info...I took off my JLT CAI and replaced it with the stock intake for now. NO CEL now. I'm waiting for the JLT custom tune (for Predator) that will hopefully resolve the CEL problem with the CAI.

I hope this issue gets resolved... :bang:

Keep us informed Tim and Bryan.
Old 3/18/05, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 38special@March 18, 2005, 7:08 PM
Vegasjay has headers and does not seem to have these problems with the C&L CAI and tune. So maybe its the tune? He may have made adjustments to the c&l tune, but I am not sure.

I am curious about this because I plan on headers myself in the future.
I didn't have to change the revised tune, or the original tune from C&L for the headers. I have the JBA Longtube's and no check engine light.
Old 3/18/05, 08:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Vegasjay,

I was not sure, and I am glad you piped in. I try to keep an open mind on these things.

It must be their tune then. I doubt it is their cai, that looks like it should work fine and be pretty much "kiss" or idiotproof, as I used to say in the Army.

I just took my car out for dinner and the light came back on so the coil packs didn't fix it. I am going to try and tighten everything down on the CAI again tomorrow and see if I can find any possible leaks.

-Tim
Now I am even more happy that I have the C&L CAI and tune.
Old 3/18/05, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I'm going to put my JLT CAI purchase on hold until it's determined that it's either not a problem or that it's fixed.
Old 3/18/05, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

I have had my JLT CAI on for a week now. No CEL. these are my only mods to date. I had to take 2 degrees out of the timing because of pinging. (premium tune) I have 4500 miles on my car and I dont baby it. My gas milage has increased despite the fact that my tips are black. I'm not knocking anybodys skills but could your MAFs be backwards? I have had my car since the end of October so it is early production.
Old 3/18/05, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed the JLT tune with the JBA shortys and my car was running very lean. This caused my CEL to come on. I took the JLT back off and put the factory back on and reset the light. Everything is fine now. I called DTP and they sent the Dealer file to me so my tuner can make the required adjustments. Call them and they will send it to you. The file they send to you is for the basic person to install it at their house, and not made for any other mods you may have. Headers lean this car out very much and must be adjusted for. The JLT tune does not do this. I am having mine reinstalled tomorrow with an adjusted tune and will keep you up to date on the results.
Old 3/19/05, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Chad, let us nkow how it goes today. I am going to try to re-trip my CEL and get by the shop to have it checked.

-Bryan
Old 3/19/05, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been running the JLT with the premium DTP tune for several weeks now, and I have no CEL issue at all. When the car was new with 400 miles it came on and the dealer reflashed the computer and i've never seen it since.
Old 3/19/05, 06:46 AM

Hey Everyone,
This tune was optimized without headers of any kind. I have not done any tuning with headers to this point. From what I saw the JLT CAI was doing to a/f (lean) until it was tuned. I have no doubt that this same thing could be happening with headers. As Jay has stated there are 5 05 GT's that I have done locally that aren't throwing a CEL and also don't have headers. 1 car did once but it was due to the charge air motion delete plates. That was fixed the next day and hasn't come on since. We are working on getting a GT in that has headers so that we may do further testing and correct any "tune" related issues. We are also working on a custom tune using the Predator which should be complete by 3/25. Please keep me posted on the CEL issues. I was not aware of the coil pack recall. I recently purchased an 05 GT Convertible 5spd Legend Lime Green,(girlfriends car) that I plan on using to test with (if she lets me). We will work with everyone to resolve all tune related issues.

Thanks,

Brent Hughes
Dyno Tuned Performance, Inc
(757)549-3966
Old 3/19/05, 06:55 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by DTPRACING@March 19, 2005, 6:49 AM
Hey Everyone,
This tune was optimized without headers of any kind. I have not done any tuning with headers to this point. From what I saw the JLT CAI was doing to a/f (lean) until it was tuned. I have no doubt that this same thing could be happening with headers. As Jay has stated there are 5 05 GT's that I have done locally that aren't throwing a CEL and also don't have headers. 1 car did once but it was due to the charge air motion delete plates. That was fixed the next day and hasn't come on since. We are working on getting a GT in that has headers so that we may do further testing and correct any "tune" related issues. We are also working on a custom tune using the Predator which should be complete by 3/25. Please keep me posted on the CEL issues. I was not aware of the coil pack recall. I recently purchased an 05 GT Convertible 5spd Legend Lime Green,(girlfriends car) that I plan on using to test with (if she lets me). We will work with everyone to resolve all tune related issues.

Thanks,

Brent Hughes
Dyno Tuned Performance, Inc
(757)549-3966

Thanks Brent. I'm not having the CEL issue like the others, but am having a pinging issue with both the Regular and Premium fuel tunes. Any word on that issue being addressed? I think someone else on this board manually took 1 or 2 degrees out of their timing to get the ping to go away.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quick Reply: JLT Intake Kit Installed