GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Intake Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 06:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock intake tube is 79.5 mm. The JLT is 87mm tubing. 79.5mm/87mm is 9.13% So therefore there is a 9% increase in tubing size and flow. Now, I know this only because this is how the tuner was able to get his tune to make the same power as the JLT / DP Racing Tune.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Recieved my JLT yesterday. Darn I have to be patient and wait untill I can get to the tuner to install!!!!!
Thanks for all your help with this Bryan. It's great that there are people out there that share the info from all the changes they are doing to help others.
Can't wait to put this thing on.
I will let you know Bryan, when I have Andre install mine so you can come out and see what mine ends up doing. That JDM tune I have is great and maybe you can use something if Andre can work off of it.
I wonder if he will be doing tunes on Good Friday?
Hope to see you soon.

Steve
Old 3/18/05, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I seem to be having the CEL going again. So, I will re-add back the JLT tune and see if this removes it. I will let everyone know how it goes today with the car, and this weekend.

My tuner was able to get the same power as the JLT, but he missed something if the light is comeing on. So, testing time again

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@March 18, 2005, 9:22 AM
The stock intake tube is 79.5 mm. The JLT is 87mm tubing. 79.5mm/87mm is 9.13% So therefore there is a 9% increase in tubing size and flow. Now, I know this only because this is how the tuner was able to get his tune to make the same power as the JLT / DP Racing Tune.

-Bryan
Bryan,
I appreciate your analysis but if you are basing the 9% on the differences in tube diameter, then I believe the correct formula is "Area = pi x radius squared".

The Boss Hog . . . . just my opinion
Old 3/18/05, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Bryan - Do you have the JLT custom tune from Jay also? Did your CEL come on when you use the MMR CAI?

Keep us inform on the problem with your CEL.
Old 3/18/05, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog+March 18, 2005, 8:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ March 18, 2005, 8:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2005RedGT@March 18, 2005, 9:22 AM

-Bryan
Bryan,
I appreciate your analysis but if you are basing the 9% on the differences in tube diameter, then I believe the correct formula is "Area = pi x radius squared".

The Boss Hog . . . . just my opinion
[/b][/quote]

I am just basing it on what I was told.
Old 3/18/05, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

I just put the JLT tune back on, the CEL is gone. But, we know that does not mean anytime until some miles are put on it. I will get some drive time this weekend to test it.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool keep us informed. Inquiring minds what to know...
Old 3/18/05, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tucker+March 18, 2005, 5:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tucker @ March 18, 2005, 5:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-loudog@March 17, 2005, 9:24 PM
Got it installed.

The MAF connection seems a little awkward - doesn't want to snug as nice as I'd like it to.

Also, I loaded the tunes to the SCT, and loaded the Regular Fuel tune to the car (running 87 octane right now). It's pinging at WOT...pretty good ping at that.

I have an email out to Jay to ask him if anyone else has had this happen.

However, through all that, I can tell you that I did feel a noticeable difference with just minor bursts on the pedal. Once I get it dialed in, I think it'll be a great bolt-on!

I'll keep you posted.
Email returned: This may help others too.
Hold onto the rubber fitting from the inside and tighten the screws allowing it to crush before it pulls up. If this doesn't work well enough, screw it tight "without" the sensor allowing it to crush and it will help it for the next time with the sensor.
I also forwarded your email to DTP about the tune for 87. You could very well have bad gas or water in the gas. Gas is very different around the country and this may be the culprit.
Jay
Let me know
[/b][/quote]

I suspect that it may be a bad gas problem if no one else is having the problem. I'll try another brand after this tank empties out. Again, I'll keep you posted...

Thank you for getting back so quickly, Jay!
Old 3/18/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Its the tune doing it .
Old 3/18/05, 11:04 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by loudog@March 18, 2005, 12:02 PM
I suspect that it may be a bad gas problem if no one else is having the problem. I'll try another brand after this tank empties out. Again, I'll keep you posted...
I also have a CEL after installing the CAI and tune. I have tried 2 different tunes and each time the CEL comes on after about 5 days of driving. It will go away if I reflash but seems to come back on like clockwork. My car is at the dealership now to get the CEL code pulled. I don't know if there is a leak around the MAF or what?
Old 3/18/05, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Blk05GT, as soon as you get it, please let me know what they find. My car, even with the flash back to the JLT tune, is getting the CEL.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@March 18, 2005, 12:10 PM
Hey Blk05GT, as soon as you get it, please let me know what they find. My car, even with the flash back to the JLT tune, is getting the CEL.

-Bryan
If you have the shortys with the standard JLT tune your car is still running lean. They adjusted for mine, but it was still lean and the CEL came on (I put the stock airintake back on). I'm getting it reinstalled this weekend, and the A/F will be adjusted correctly.
Old 3/18/05, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

That might not be it, i mean the JLT tune itself. I had a cutom tune - and it wasn't lean and was fine (A/F that is). Now, I am getting the CEL with the JLT and the custom one. So I am not sure the issues. I am intrested in what Blk05GT ahs to say about his codes. I will make a decision then if I want to goto the dealer.

-Bryan
Old 3/18/05, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

I installed my JLT with their premium tune yesterday and my CEL came on. I am guessing it is because of my JBA Longtubes. Even before the JLT I couldn't get the CEL to stop coming on. I'm gonna make an appointment with a tuner and hopefully that will help.
Old 3/18/05, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I was thinking about purchasing the JLT CAI kit but I'm going to wait until these CEL issues have been resolved - if in fact it is an issue.
Old 3/18/05, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Bryan-

Dealership just called and said the CEL was due to the TSB related to the coil packs. They replaced what they needed to and said I was good to go. I will let you know if I have any more problems.

BTW: I took it in to get the front strut bearings replaced but was told that although there is a TSB out for it, there are no fixes from Ford yet.
Old 3/18/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't been able to get my CEL light to stay off yet....Went on when I first put on my MMR....then it went back off after the SCT tune. Then it was back on aagain for a few days later.....Took it up to Ford to have some tranny repair done and they shut it off, only for it to come back on again for good a few days later again....Seems like with the new CAI's that there may be no resolution....As I've tried the dealer, the battery route, and the SCT tune, I have to warn most people that it won't be as easy as you think...I figure the temp. light and the warning center will let me know if anything lese seriously goes wrong so I haven't been overly concerned about it the last few months....

John
Old 3/18/05, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

So it seems the concensus is that if I install this JLT CAI kit, that I will get a CEL after a few days?
Old 3/18/05, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Looks like it - basic cause and effect seems to reflect that. We will only know if we take it out and flash back OR check the code.

Also, I told my tuner about it and he has told me that the guys that also installed the JLT Intake this past Saturday is also having the issues as some of us. He reflashed him and it went away. But it may come back, just as mine did and others.

The bad part about it is it takes a few hours or days for it to come back on. We need a way to read the codes. :/

SCT needs to get the new XCal2 out so it can read the codes for us :P

-Bryan

Quick Reply: JLT Intake Kit Installed