GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT Intake Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/05, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegasjay, only time will tell. So far so good though. I will stop by the shop this Wednesday to get some pics :0

-Bryan
Old 3/21/05, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@March 21, 2005, 6:48 PM
Hey max2000jp, as far as I am concerned it is. There are a few othes that have tried it with no issues.

If you want, give yourself the rest of the week to see if those same people that made the adjsutment are still good to go with no CEL

-Bryan
That's what I plan on doing. If the fixes hold up, I will order one. I love this car, except I want more top end power. An intake and tune basically extends the power above 5K rpms to redline, ~30 whp. I want an intake to take full advantage of the Predator "tune". My goal is high 12s@106ish with minimal mods. $150 dollars for this intake is pretty darn cheap, I just don't want to deal with CEL's on a new car.
Old 3/21/05, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by swingle007@March 20, 2005, 7:19 PM
Have to admit I'm tiring of the back and forth pot shots and bickering as well....Certainly don't wanna have to take Boss's advice and skip over his or Vegas's future posts in order to avoid it, as I like both of them a great deal.......As you guys may know, I recently ordered the JLT also....I'll probably install it tomorrow...Seems like a small issue with getting it on tight so I don't see the big deal....I'm not mad at JLT or C&L...Just want a decent intake at a good price...IF I'm mad at anybody it would be MMR for rushing their part out and taking forever to follow up with a pipe or heat shield to go with it :notnice: ...I was very pleased with the results of the JLT at Bryan's dyno session and am stoked to have a complete CAI for the kind of money I spent with Jay....IF I had it to do all over again and replace my stock filter from day one, I might actually buy the C&L, but as I'd already spent nearly 200 on the MMR, I figured the JLT was the best bet for me for the money. Still on the fence on the metal pipe idea too, as I am one who likes the plastic pipe to possibly keep the air cooler....I hope everybody's happy and we can all continue to help each other with future mods....No sense in getting all bent out of shape as we may need each other's help with other future mods long after we've all gotten intakes installed that we like and they are a distant memory.....Hope this doesn't offend anyone as I'd like to continue to be cool with everyone here....just wish the harshness could be toned down a notch or two.....happy modding guys!!!

John

P.S. Vegas's plans for the day sound like they'd be right up my alley....LMK how the girls were bro....
John, I know what your say'n. I don't like spending my time here like this myself. I'm just standing up for what I feel is right, as I'm sure you can understand that.
Scincerly I do hope that you and the other's here have success with the intake. I too want to see EVERYONE here have good moding fun. I too got "burn't" on the MMR intake. When I got it the paint was still wet, the finish was terrible, and the filter was so oily I had to replace the MAF sensor (cleaning it wouldn't even save it!)! Needless to say it's in my garage since they wouldn't take it back...That may be another reason I'm quick to look out for my fellow TMS members....

BTW Sunday was great! Had a great run through the Valley of Fire then 2 for 1 lapdances all night. Don't worry John I got one for you too!!

Bryan, I would also spend the $ and the 70+ hour's at the shop to make it right. That chop looked sweet! It will be worth it in the end, and you'll forget about the cost after seeing the finished product. Must see Pic's!!
Old 3/21/05, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

What is "Valley of Fire " ? BTW, have a lapdance for me next time too :P

-Bryan
Old 3/21/05, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@March 21, 2005, 6:08 PM
What is "Valley of Fire " ? BTW, have a lapdance for me next time too :P

-Bryan
You got it Bryan!! I better make it two after what you've been through with your hood!

Valley of Fire is an awsome state park about an hour north of town. It's a string of small mountains and beehive rock formation's that are bright fire red (it kinda look's like Mar's). The best part is it has smooth curvy road's with little traffic! It's a fun place to run out your Pony and put her through the twisties.
Old 3/21/05, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys, here's what I did.
I went to the shop and tried a few things.
First off, if you tighten the screws too much they will balloon out the top and not secure the sensor.

As stated before, tighten the screws back and forth a few quarter turns each side.
As your screwing push in to keep the insert in the hole. Only slight pressure is needed. I also found it easy to hold the pipe and sensor together with my thumb and for finger, this allowed me to push the sensor closer to the inserts.

Doing it this way allowed me to swing the pipe around by only holding the sensor.

Also, Form now on all inserts will be glued in before they leave JLT. This I know will stop the issue. I use a CA glue RC guys use to glue there rubber tires to there plastic rims. It's crazy strong!

I will be updating all instruction sheets and adding pics to help future customers.

It seems as though many of you have done this fix and are ok. To those worried and looking to order. I'm confident this is fixed.

If anyone needs replacment inserts I will gladly send you some. Tell me what you need and you got it.

Thanks to you all for trying the "fix" and working with me. Also thanks for all the support around here.
Any questions please feel free to call, email or post.
Jay
Old 3/21/05, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is tight!
Old 3/21/05, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Tucker@March 21, 2005, 7:24 PM
This is tight!
How long will it take me to get a black intake? I am kinda waiting for the predator tune to come out for your intake? Any new details or ETA information. I can talk directly to Diablosport about a tune for your intake, since they are trying to work out the problem I am having with my 93 octane tune.
Old 3/21/05, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

It seems like we have various solutions to the CEL issue.

* Some have used different grommet
* Some have used nuts and bolts.
* Some have used glues or cements.
* Some have tried the alternating turns of the screw.
* Some have used one or more of the above.

I would like to see an official fix to the issue from JLT.

Even though we can run off to Home Debot (or whatever is cose by), I don't really want to do that. My time is limited and running off to the local Home Depot is not something I really want to do - they may not even have the part I need.
Old 3/22/05, 12:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by porsche@March 21, 2005, 12:12 PM
looks like you could make that intake for $20 if you had the mmr filter and mass air cut stock intake and replace with pvc clamp back down.
Its obvious that you do not have a clue on what you are talking about.
All ifs. If I had wings could I fly like a bird? I went to the store and checked out the material cost. Did you?
Where are the MODERATORS when you need one to stop all this animosity crap?
This is not TECH help folks.

I am the guy that said these metal tube systems were nothing more that heat exchangers with aluminum right at the top of the list. If Jay said this I said it first so come after me not him. Whats wrong with a garage shop? Micro Soft was developed in a garage was it not? So was Apple
Old 3/22/05, 01:19 AM

When JLT first hit the scene on svtperformance he received similar negative responses from some of the members. Once the dust had settled his product spoke for itself.

I say we cheer for both C&L and JLT to be winners!
Old 3/22/05, 01:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah cold air intakes rock, go cold air intakes!!!!!!!!

Waaaahoooooooo
Old 3/22/05, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@March 22, 2005, 12:14 AM
It seems like we have various solutions to the CEL issue.

* Some have used different grommet
* Some have used nuts and bolts.
* Some have used glues or cements.
* Some have tried the alternating turns of the screw.
* Some have used one or more of the above.

I would like to see an official fix to the issue from JLT.

Even though we can run off to Home Debot (or whatever is cose by), I don't really want to do that. My time is limited and running off to the local Home Depot is not something I really want to do - they may not even have the part I need.
The offical fix is I will be permently glueing all inserts before they leave. This will make it much easier for everyone. I also recommend the back and forth tighten method on the screws.
Once you see it in person you will understand what a small issue it really is.

I think many were tightening one side all the way then going to the other and pulling the insert up.

Jay
Old 3/22/05, 08:44 AM
GT Member

Well my fix lasted all of 48 hours. The CEL came back during my trip to work this morning. I have done the tightening of the screws. I have been to Home Depot several times for glue, silicon and new bolts and nothing seems to work for more than a couple days. I looked at the MAF connection this morning and it looks OK. It doesn't look like it has moved much but it is hard to tell. I don't know if the entire unit needs another brace or something because it just rests on hoses and other parts of the car and I am assuming it gets moved around pretty good.

Needless to say I am beyond frustrated since I have done just about everything I can think of. I have taken it to the dealership to have them fix anything other then the CAI that might be causing the CEL. I have paid a for both the DTP tune and a custom tune without success. At this point I am leaning towards putting the stock airbox back on and just ending it. If anybody has any more ideas let me know.
Old 3/22/05, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Tim, you might want to goto the dealership then to get the code checked. You might have another issue that is related to some of the TSB's. Wait you have already been once for the coil packs right ? Still , if you have access to them, try to get the code read one more time.

-Bryan
Old 3/22/05, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well Tim I don't know what to say. If the MAF is tight I can't see it being that.
Let me know what you would like me to do.
Jay
Old 3/22/05, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Bryan -Yeah I took it in for the coil packs already but I guess I can take it to the dealership again and see if they can pull the code a 2nd time. The dealership is such a pain and they take my car for the entire day so I am not excited about doing that again. I am leaning towards putting the stock air box back on and seeing if I get a CEL. This would at least help me at least elminate some potential causes of the problem.

Jay - Can you please tell me with the type of glue you are using and where to pick it up? I may need replacement inserts too. I really want to get this to work.
Old 3/22/05, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Jay, when I screwed tight it pulled the inserts out as you stated. Do you have to go that tight? Also this seems to rest on those inserts (the sensor) so is there a gap around the bottom or should the sensor be flush when you put it in the pipe? It got to the point I could pull the sensor and screws right out. Thanks. Should I glue these inserts or are they weak now??
Old 3/22/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

You do not need to "crank" down on these screws. Over tightening will cause the inserts to balloon out the top.

Use super glue and give it a few minutes to set.
I have done this over and over with out the glue and no CEL.

Please try the glue and do not over tighten the screws. Apply pressure while screwing in you should be fine.

Guys, please give me a update as it seems as though most have fixed this with no more CEL.
Looks like all these are ok: Bryan,Lilhog,Loudog,Hotlap,Swooky,Satinsilver and Cdemot02.
Let us know if your still ok.

Tim, I'm very curious if you do have a dealer issue. Maybe they missed something??
Let me know
Jay
Old 3/23/05, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Blk05GT@March 22, 2005, 11:47 AM
Bryan -Yeah I took it in for the coil packs already but I guess I can take it to the dealership again and see if they can pull the code a 2nd time.
Skip the dealer and go to Advanced Auto. They check your codes for free. It only takes about 5 minutes. I do that all the time for my T-Bird. I also know a local shop that has a scanner and can check my codes in a couple of minutes.

Quick Reply: JLT Intake Kit Installed