Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/16, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
**** Pat, way to go! 2 little kids and you still find time for wrenching on the car.You sir are my hero.
Old 3/24/16, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
**** Pat, way to go! 2 little kids and you still find time for wrenching on the car.You sir are my hero.
It's actually easier when they're baby babies. Once they're mobile, it becomes all but impossible. When we started putting Liam in the playpen, car washes and wrenching halted to a complete stop lol. So I need to get some work in while the wife is home and can be with the kids, otherwise I'll end up with parts that I'll sit on for a year before I can install (like some of the stuff I want to get done today)!
Old 3/26/16, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Finally bedded my xp8 (r) and dtc60 (f). Noise isn't as bad as I expected but brake dust was on another level compared to hps. April 9 trackday, just hope weather cooperates
Old 3/26/16, 05:26 PM
Banned

Nice!

Can't wait to hear what your impression is with that brake combo. Very curious if brake bias is going to be ok for you at the track!

Ha, I have XP8s on the rear even on the street, and now my rear wheels are dirty a lot quicker than the fronts with stock Ferrodo pads. Yeah, dust is huge with proper track pads. But it's worth it
Old 3/28/16, 05:02 PM
Banned

Ok, so the car spent the whole day at the shop getting all the suspension parts installed along with SS clutch line and alignment.

I will be picking it up tomorrow morning, but apparently the camber specs are now-1.9 and -2.1

Can't wait to see what it all feels like to drive!
Old 3/28/16, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Enjoy! You'll love the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
5.M0NSTER (3/28/16)
Old 3/28/16, 07:19 PM
Banned

Thanks man, I clicked the new button
Old 3/29/16, 06:22 PM
Banned

The car handles SO much better now! Even on clover ramps the body motions seems to much better controlled than before! Body roll is almost gone, and front grip mid corner is immense.

I think the balance of the car after a fast transition is shifting to oversteer.

That's probably because of these numbers, and visible negative camber. The rear has a hard time keeping up
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-img_0687.jpg   Track Related Mods-img_0682.jpg  
Old 3/30/16, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quick question for those of you running with some negative camber.

1) Did you notice your abs kicking in early and slight loss of decel in straight line braking with lots of camber up front? I did a few aggressive stops and noticed early abs, and not being able to modulate my way to high decel like I'm used to. This could be either due to camber, or (also possible) the rapidly deteriorating Pirelli P-Zeros. It's been a while since I did threshold braking with Pirellis. . I guess I'll have a few more data points once I swap to my S04 in a few weeks.

2) The turn in is less sharp, or to put it differently the car is less eager to turn. My initial steering input has to be a few degrees larger to get the same initial turn in. This may be also because of camber, as the outsides of the tire are not pressing against pavement as hard, or it could also be the fact that I'm running 0 toe. I may need to go a bit more toe out to get my turn in more crisp. Did you notice the same thing?

These are some more of my initial observations after a few days. I'll wait till after the first track day to make any changes. I was expecting some more tuning would be required to get everything just the way I like.
Old 3/30/16, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Having that big swaybar upfront with nothing in the rear is prone to less oversteer (understeer) and less ability in hard straight line braking.
I have an article that I will copy and post it for you. It won't let me post from my iPhone so I'll have to get on the computer.
Having tires that are losing grip also will kick in your ABS and hard braking. Swap out your daily wheels and tires for your track set up and try that on the street
Old 3/30/16, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Track Related Mods-img_1749_0c7de16447e6db169314f81be7dd51b4e619a774.png
5.M0NSTER (3/30/16)
Old 3/30/16, 06:40 PM
Banned

Thanks redonblack!

I knew to expect understeer. That should be more prevalent at the lateral grip limits rather than in initial steering. At lateral grip limits ( > 0.7g ) the understeer factor of the front sway is totally compensated by the amount of front grip with so much negative camber. I think I doubled my high lat grip of the front, and now I actually have more oversteer tendencies when increasing steering at high speed. Which makes sense, the front rolls less, but gets more grip as the car rolls, and the outside tire presses more evenly against the ground. The rear is flat going straight, and rolls over more with higher lat, so it can't keep up with the front. Thus oversteer.

But you may have a point with the overall lack of front compliance. Though under 0.3g in first 45 deg of steering wheel input I didn't think this would be the case.

And when it comes to straight line braking I did in on as smooth of a pavement as one can ask for in Michigan. So I'm not sure if the sway plays a role if both front tires grip equally well.

You are correct, I need to swap tires and try again. It might be a few weeks before I have a chance to do that, but I'll update this thread as soon as I can!

Thanks for great input!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/30/16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 3/30/16, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

This is really the only mustang forum where more than one person tracks their cars. Road races, that is.
We are all in the same boat as far as learning the limits of our cars as we mark them. Some of us are more advanced than others but none of us know everything. Anything that I learned I put out there for others to learn from as well.
I research the Internet, manufacturers, engineers, and suspension experts as well as talking to others at the track. With this knowledge I am able to make educated decisions on what and what not to do.
I love modding my car and then problem-solving to fine-tune.
You are definitely on the right track! Let us know what you find out
Old 3/30/16, 08:54 PM
Banned

Will do sir! Thanks for the input!

In my daily work vehicle dynamics is a must. I work for a tier 1 auto supplier for chassis brake modulation as an engineer. We have over 40 value added functions we do with brakes. Electronic stability control, trailer sway mitigation, hill hold, adaptive cruise control, advanced park assist, lane centering, autonomous emergency braking, electronic brake force distribution just to name a few. I have a better understanding of vehicle dynamics and physics of semi rigid body motion than most, but I am by no means an expert.

I am learning a lot on this and other forums as well. Some of my job required training was in limit handling and performance driving. That's how I got into the hobby, but that doesn't make a me a professional driver either. I have a good basic understanding of why a vehicle acts a certain way, and how to use it to achieve desired results.
And I also would like to share my knowledge and experiences with others.

But to be honest, I am a bit taken by surprise by some of the behaviors of my own vehicle after doing my suspension upgrades. Some of the things I expected to happen happened, but other things I wasn't expecting happened as well. I was afraid of loosing sharpness of turn in, as you'll find in this thread (last statement in post #21):
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...538351/index2/

but the loss of straight line flat surface decel I was not expecting.

So I'm still in the process of rationalizing the physical behavior of the car based on what I know about physics of a semi rigid body.

And I am genuinely thankful for your input about loss of compliance in straight line braking. This is one aspect that escaped my consideration so far!

And once I get to the bottom of it I will certainly share my revelations! There is truth in engineering. That's a fact.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/30/16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 3/31/16, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Hmmm . . . I wonder if my fairly stiff rear sway bar (GT500) is contributing to that snap oversteer that I do sometimes get on corner exit; or is it just my foot / hand / eye coordination (or lack thereof) . . . the world will probably never know.
Old 3/31/16, 01:29 PM
Banned

More rear bar leads to less understeer, and therefore more overrsteer prone behaviour, so I think your hunch is correct!
Old 3/31/16, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is the only forum besides trackmustangsonline (formerly bossmustangsonline) where people track cars... If you haven't been over there, head over. Great info

Anyways, I'll digest the other input more later when I'm not on a phone, but I don't recall the turn in change you described. I did add a front sway to further improve turn in, and I had to play with settings to get the right stiffness. But the car is neutral or slightly prone to oversteer even with the front sway being lowered.

Get your tires warm then try your braking. I bet they just aren't up to temp and therefore lacking grip
SGwick (4/1/16)
Old 4/1/16, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
This is the only forum besides trackmustangsonline (formerly bossmustangsonline) where people track cars... If you haven't been over there, head over. Great info
Wow great website! thanks dmicheals. I had no idea :-)
Old 4/2/16, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
Wow great website! thanks dmicheals. I had no idea :-)
Happy to help!
Old 4/2/16, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Happy to help!
looks like I'll be spending more time there since more people track their cars are active in the forums

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods