Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/16, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have no experience with cryo rotors, but I'm with redonblack here. Blanks are your most reliable bet for track duty. Largest surface area and good heat dissipation with vented disks.

Drilled rotors are more prone to cracking unless they are stress relieved or cast with the holes vs being drilled after. Slotted work ok, but I've heard people having NVH issues due to pad impact with the slot edge.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/6/16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 3/6/16, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
How many track days you get out of Centric blanks? What the best source for them (cheapest prices)?

The guy in our local club that spends the most time on track says he can go the whole year on Frozen Rotors but at 3x the price (based on Rock Auto pricing)...as long as I don't have to change them 3x in a year I'm good. My stock rotors as still doing good after 5 track days last year. This year I'm going to swap the rotors and probably get some Carbotech pads and just save whats left of the stock rotor life for street duty.
Old 3/6/16, 12:15 PM
Banned

I have 7 days with my stock Brembo rotors + ~18k street miles, and still no sign of cracks or any major scoring. I'm hoping to get 4 more days out of them this year and around 25k miles, and replace them in time for 2017 season. I'd expect the Centric stuff to last just about as long.

LMR has a decent price on 14" blanks
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1102HGT500/...nt-Brake-Rotor

Rotor life depends on how aggressive the pads are. I use XP10s up front, and they have been fairly gentle on the rotors so far. I've scrubbed a whole set on my current rotors.
Old 3/6/16, 12:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I've gotten Centric's from Amazon before. Prime shipping!
Old 3/6/16, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I have 7 days with my stock Brembo rotors + ~18k street miles, and still no sign of cracks or any major scoring. I'm hoping to get 4 more days out of them this year and around 25k miles, and replace them in time for 2017 season. I'd expect the Centric stuff to last just about as long.

LMR has a decent price on 14" blanks
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1102HGT500/...nt-Brake-Rotor

Rotor life depends on how aggressive the pads are. I use XP10s up front, and they have been fairly gentle on the rotors so far. I've scrubbed a whole set on my current rotors.
Ah, well I'm looking at probably 12 days on track this year. A couple of full NASA weekends and another weekend event plus a few individual days. I realized I was looking at the economy rotors at Rock Auto when you posted that. The premium rotors at Rock Auto are still cheaper than LMR.

I'm not quite sure what level of pad I'm going with yet. This guy in my local club is using XP24's up front I think. Maybe you need more than a Centric blank with those?
Old 3/6/16, 01:41 PM
Banned

Anything over XP10 is too much grip with street tires. I don't plan to run anything other than extreme performance street tires. If you run semi slicks or full slick tires you may need to go XP12, 20 or 24.

And then I guess you could chew through Centric blanks with that in 5 days or so.

So did you find cheaper blanks? Where at??
Old 3/6/16, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I got a good deal on some 18" SVE Drift wheels with Continental 305 series slicks so I'm going to need the brake upgrade for sure. I will likely be getting some Pirelli take offs when the Conti's wear out.

I'm considering the ST47 pads instead of Carbotech but haven't had much luck finding good comparisons. From what I have read they sound like a good option. I can't find the operating temp range info on the ST47's though.

Cheaper blanks here...at least I think the premium ones are the same as what's at LMR (used my 2014 for the search).
Old 3/6/16, 02:11 PM
Banned

That's Raybestos, right? I think one of the guys here who tracks his car a lot uses them, and has raved about them. His name is dmichaels. You could PM him for more info.

Wow, 12 days, that's huge! I'm a bit jelly. I can only get out a few days per year. Summer weekends have been busy as of late...
Old 3/6/16, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I have already PM'd him with other questions. Got one response and waiting on others. Maybe we'll just bring the discussion here when he see's this for the benefit of everyone.

Yeah, I'm in Omaha, NE and there's a track about 20 mins from my house. Plus there's another about 2 hours west in Hastings, NE. That one is a really nice track with condo's you can rent and they have a big Mustang Roundup every year in September with guys from Ford in attendance to give presentations and just a great time. Not the cheapest track event but a great time nonetheless. That's 3 days if you consider that Thursday is like 2 sessions for those who signed by the end of November and Sunday is a short day as well. Then the NASA Central group had a great deal around Christmas to buy one event get one free so I got those two weekends for the price of one. That accounts for 7 days. I'll probably hit an open track day at each of those tracks in April to shake the winter blues . Then our club has an event at the Hastings track in June and the track that's 20 mins away has an end of year deal in October I'll probably attend since it's usually only like $50. Yep, my whole year is planned out. Well, the second NASA event is still up in the air. I'm scheduled at the Hastings track but I talked to them about possibly trading that for the Hallet event in October if the guy from our club decides to go there like he was talking about.
Old 3/6/16, 02:43 PM
Banned

Nice. My closest track is ~45min away, Waterford Hills. But it's rather slow, tight and it best suited for small, light cars. It's hard to break 115mph....

I have 3 great tracks within 4h of my house, Grattan, Gingerman and Mid Ohio. I'm planning one day each, plus a bonus day at either Grattan or Gingerman in the fall.
Old 3/6/16, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Very cool. Heartland Park Topeka in KS is hopefully going to be opening back up this year. Plus Kansas Speedway has a partial road course setup using about 3/4 of the oval and then some infield track. Maybe next year I'll try hitting those but this year is pretty full for me. I might try venturing further out like TX, WI, MN and the aforementioned in the next 2-3 years.
Old 3/6/16, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Very cool! I grew up in Kansas. Abilene to be specific. And went to college at KSU in Manhattan.
A road course at Kansas Speedway would be very cool
Old 3/8/16, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy tracks his car a lot but does use street tires and raves about Xp10 on the front and xp8 on the rear.
Old 3/8/16, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wine79
My buddy tracks his car a lot but does use street tires and raves about Xp10 on the front and xp8 on the rear.
That's exactly my setup and I also use street tires. Its just the right amount of grip in my opinion
Old 3/8/16, 07:31 PM
Banned

So I pulled the trigger on the Steeda competition adjustable front bar. Should be here Thursday

Then I will have all the pieces I think I need to turn my car into a corner carving monster I want it to be

In other news I took the car out of the garage and drove it today for the first time in 4 months (F U Winter!), and I come to realize my P Zeros are done. There is about 2-3mm of thread left and not so much grip. Span in 3rd today. So I may have to get new street tires soon too

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/8/16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 3/8/16, 08:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Glad to hear it 5.Monster ... keep us updated as to your feedback!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/8/16, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey 5.monster. Are you putting all the parts on your self or paying someone to do it?
Old 3/9/16, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Glad to hear it 5.Monster ... keep us updated as to your feedback!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thaks TJ. My strategy was to go with pretty much the entire suspension system engineered by one company (except for the Koni Yellows, but they offer infinite adjustability to match spring rates). I wanted to avoid mixing and matching different components from different manufacturers.

I can't wait to get the system on the car and start initial tuning!

Any suggestions for track and steer settings for the sway bar and Konis with Steeda Sports and HD upper mounts?

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Hey 5.monster. Are you putting all the parts on your self or paying someone to do it?
I can't spend the time unfortunately (9 month old baby at home), so I will be paying a pro to put all the components on.
Old 3/9/16, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Too bad you're not closer. I love modding/wrenching on my car and would defiantly help
Old 3/9/16, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Too bad you're not closer. I love modding/wrenching on my car and would defiantly help
Thanks! I have 3 buddies who would love to help, but I'm at the age where all my friends have young kids at home and no one has the time. Life gets in the way of wrenching for now.

Once my daughter is older (6 or 7 years from now), I will have her help me with mods The world needs more tech savvy kick a$$ girls.

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods