Track Related Mods - Page 35 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Old 5/13/18, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels View Post

havent been here in a while. One thing to consider- is either rear caliper hanging up? When I added SS rear lines the banjo bolt was ever so slightly longer than OEM and as a result contacted the brake piston apparently. No issue for hydraulic pressure to overcome for braking, but it resulted in the piston not properly retracting. I added a washer at the banjo bolt and replaced both rear calipers. Instantly had no more rear brake issues. Didnít bleed them all
last season and I went back to 11.8 rotors (albeit 2-piece but they were waaaaaay better even before the rotor swap)
Hey Derek, welcome back! Any track plans with the Cobalt SS (or other vehicles) this season?

I just switched b back to OE hoses (Boss LS) after blowing out an SS. I also replaced both rear calipers due to leaks past the piston seals. I don't think I have any binding, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 5/20/18, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Les than 1 week away from first track day, followed by 2 other ones within 3 weeks.

Got my track pads on, GLoc R10s in the back at all times, and R12s up front for the events coming up.

Oh, and I'm running my Vents R-S3s in reverse direction in an attempt to even out wear. It will be scary in the rain tho
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-img-1278.jpg   Track Related Mods-img-1284.jpg  
Old 5/28/18, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Allright, so I have some good news, more good news, and then bad news.

Good news: brake upgrades did the trick. No more leaking fluid, solid brake performance in 90 degree humid Michigan heat, repeatable consistent braking.

More good news: New PB at Grattan of 1:31.1. Went to a ride with a coworker who is an amazing driver and drives an '11 Z06 Corvette. Learned a few new tricks around Gratan. That helped for sure.

Bad News: For the first time in 5 years doing this the temp gauge went over the middle mark. Not just a little over, but made it almost all the way to the red. When I saw this I aborted my session early and came in. I also had my datalogger with me, so I watched for the rest of the sessions. When the temp got to 3/4 of the way on the gauge it was reading 237F.

So it could be the thermostat, the water pump, or the tentioner on the water pump. Need to get it looked at.

In the mean time I got a lower temp thermostat. Factory one is 190F. I got one that is 170F from Reische
https://www.cjponyparts.com/reische-...iABEgKi9_D_BwE

Will get things checked out, replace a thermostat and do the flush before the next event on June 5. Will keep you posted.
Old 5/28/18, 04:24 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

It sounds like some additional cooling mods are in your future.
Old 5/28/18, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

sorry to hear that 5.monster

Do you still have the front grill with fog lights? May have to remove that before trackdays to get more airflow. Also try and add water wetter (pink) to coolant to lower temps (I went full DI water and water wetter)

I bought the same thermostat and I was told to recalibrate when my fan turns on, I never did but I never had anymore temp issues (installed setrab oil cooler, 302S grill, removed engine cover, DI&waterwetter, FR-GMT racing radiator)

Hope you get it working brother
Old 5/28/18, 06:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the feedback SGwick. I was reading that this thermostat is supposed to lower coolant temps by 20F. And if it does that should be all I need for now given my 237F readings. I already have the Boss 302 radiator and oil cooler which came with the car.

I have not flushed the system either, so that will also help. I have Purple Ice additive I have not put in either.

P.S. There was a 1SS 1LE in my group, and it was consistently faster. In the corners and in the straights. So I predict better lap times for you this year. How are you liking yours?
Old 5/29/18, 02:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
There was a 1SS 1LE in my group, and it was consistently faster. In the corners and in the straights. So I predict better lap times for you this year. How are you liking yours?
I just reached my break-in mileage of 1500 so I have no track experience with the car yet. I can say the car pulls harder and feels more zippy than my 2011 although in stock form the brakes suck at stopping this car. Guess I was spoiled with the mustang DTc70 and X8 pads w/ slotted rotors lol. This is the first in my list to swap in the car. I don't have visibility issues that everyone complains about but I'm not so sure about helmet/neck protection space and headroom. I looking into Simpson hybrid 3 point oem compatible harness system but it costs $1K. I'm tired of camaro folks always talking about warranties in every forum category/post, I also feel there's more trackday aftermarket options/solutions for the mustang but I continue to keep looking. The back seat in mustang and camaro are already small but I feel the camaro is smaller and my kids hate it lol. I love the tr6060 transmission but not feeling the 6.5K redline. That's it for now but overall advances in technology in general really help my 1le out so I don't have to modify it much but it didn't completely eliminate the need to either (just my early thoughts)