Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/13, 03:39 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Those of you saying that chili without beans is just soup, have never had real chili then. The stuff I eat is no form of meat sauce, as I make both. My beans always are slow-cooked with a ham steak, my meat sauce is a sauce, and my chili is chili. It's not soup, it's not stew, it's not sauce. It's chili. If it has beans in it, then it's chili with beans--not chili. And like Gary's, it will clear your sinuses. Cornbread is eaten with beans, not chili. Chili is eaten with corn tortillas around here, and where I grew up (El Paso).

Poor, misguided, food-ignorant people.
:yawn:

And crazy people in Cincinnati eat chili (with and without beans as well as nutmeg and sometimes cinnamon) on top of spaghetti. :crazy:

And no rice under my stew!

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/18/13 at 03:40 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 03:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I make a different chili for hot dogs. Not hot and more tomato. I make regular chili with beans though. Last year I made it a couple times with ground smoked sausage and andouille which was great. Still had beans of course. I usually eat mine with crackers and grated cheese also.

I made some a while back using my regular recipe with ground chuck, but also added about a half pound of diced up Conecuh. It was pretty good.
Old 8/18/13, 03:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I eat my chili with crackers crumbled in it, sometimes with a little shredded cheddar on top. If I eat it over rice I don't put crackers in it, but I like a piece of buttered cornbread on the side.

Now something most find weird, I like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a bowl of chili and a glass of milk. I guess its from when I was a kid, when they served chili for lunch at school they always served a peanut butter sandwich with it (the kind of peanut butter with honey mixed in it).
It's not weird.

My mother used to serve us leftover chili with butter bread. To this day when I eat it I crave butter bread too.

I'd say I want some chili but its 100 degrees outside and that's just too **** hot for chili weather.
Old 8/18/13, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the chili without beans eaten over pasta or something? Just sounds like meat sauce to me.
I put elbow pasta in mine
Old 8/18/13, 03:46 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

I love gumbo. And yes definitely with rice but I'd eat it without rice too.

We're not to big on rice in these parts unless its Spanish rice of course but its not integral like in Cajun cuisine.

Cajun cuisine is special and I love it like I love Mexican food. I'm jealous you get to live there and eat it all the time and think nothing of it as being something special like it is here. The trinity is a fine thing.
Yes it is. Nothing a dark roux can't make great. The food down here is truly amazing. Mixtures of soul food, creole, Cajun, whatever else its called. It's crazy to go to other states and just be disappointed. I must say that I prefer the seafood on the Bama and Florida coast though.
Old 8/18/13, 03:48 PM

It's not weird.

My mother used to serve us leftover chili with butter bread. To this day when I eat it I crave butter bread too.

I'd say I want some chili but its 100 degrees outside and that's just too **** hot for chili weather.
My dad used to eat red beans over buttered slice bread. I have to say its strange but great.
Old 8/18/13, 03:51 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting off the subject slightly, is stew served over rice? Down here just about everything is over rice. Just wondering. I heard about Yankees not using rice. Soup doesn't have rice but gumbo(which is still soup) has rice in it.
Midwest stew has beef chunks (never ground), cel, potatoes, carrots, onions, in a bowl with the broth. Could add corn I guess because its plentiful in the midwest. Some add stewed tomatoes but I don't like that. I will put diced sun dried tomatoes sometimes but that's it. Great with french bread on the side.
Never mix potatoes and rice. That's just a starch bomb. It doesn't make a protein like beans & rice combo.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 03:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Of course when I was a kid and we were less fortunate I'd eat a cheese sandwich as a meal and love it. Just the white bread, mayo, and (1) Kraft single slice.
Old 8/18/13, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Midwest stew has beef, cel, potatoes, carrots, onions, in a bowl. Some add stewed tomatoes but I don't like that. I will put diced sun dried tomatoes sometimes but that's it. Great with french bread on the side.
Never mix potatoes and rice. That's just a starch bomb. It doesn't make a protein like beans & rice combo.
We will do the same thing but add a dark roux to the mix to darken and thicken it up. Also adds a great flavor. There no adding cornstarch as a thickening agent here.
Old 8/18/13, 03:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Of course when I was a kid and we were less fortunate I'd eat a cheese sandwich as a meal and love it. Just the white bread, mayo, and (1) Kraft single slice.
Mayo =

My dad eats banana sandwiches with mayo on white bread all the time. :
Old 8/18/13, 03:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We will do the same thing but add a dark roux to the mix to darken and thicken it up. Also adds a great flavor. There no adding cornstarch as a thickening agent here.
I laugh that the store sells cut up 'stewing beef' at such a high markup these days. Like its some special cut. lol People have become so ignorant. And lazy. Just grab some cheap roast, cut it up, and after browning, simmer in the stew till it's super tender. doi

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 04:11 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
We had fresh rockfish my husband caught today. I'm not a big fish lover but it was good
Old 8/18/13, 04:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Somebody brought me a home made sweet potato pie. Can't wait to have a piece after while with some whipped cream on top.
Old 8/18/13, 04:30 PM

Somebody brought me a home made sweet potato pie. Can't wait to have a piece after while with some whipped cream on top.
Damm that sounds good.
Old 8/18/13, 04:40 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Steamed some shrimp and scallops
Old 8/18/13, 05:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I eat my chili with crackers crumbled in it, sometimes with a little shredded cheddar on top. If I eat it over rice I don't put crackers in it, but I like a piece of buttered cornbread on the side.

Now something most find weird, I like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a bowl of chili and a glass of milk. I guess its from when I was a kid, when they served chili for lunch at school they always served a peanut butter sandwich with it (the kind of peanut butter with honey mixed in it).
I put cheddar and honey in my chili and sometimes even sour cream. Like I need to be anymore weird.
Old 8/18/13, 05:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I put cheddar and honey in my chili and sometimes even sour cream. Like I need to be anymore weird.
Never heard of honey in chili. And I don't eat sour cream.
Old 8/18/13, 05:10 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Steamed some shrimp and scallops
Did you like the shrimp steamed?
Originally Posted by Blue Notch

I've never heard of honey in chili. I put some grape jelly in mine though
Old 8/18/13, 05:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple

Old 8/18/13, 05:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple

I like butter and honey on my cornbread so I decided to try it in my chili just for the hell of it. My family all thinks I'm nuts, but I think it tastes good. I think I've hear you mention the grape jelly in the past. Don't think I'll try it any time soon. lol

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?