Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
at the newest avatar!!!!!!
...well played MeeMaw!
Old 8/16/13, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Hey Rather . . . how do you make your cornbread?! Scorch some meal in the skillet with some oil and dump it back in some meal, egg, and milk mix and dump back into the skillet?!

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/16/13 at 06:48 PM.
Old 8/16/13, 10:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Hey Rather . . . how do you make your cornbread?! Scorch some meal in the skillet with some oil and dump it back in some meal, egg, and milk mix and dump back into the skillet?!

Really don't have a recipe, just eyeball it. About 3 to 1 cornmeal to self rising flour and eggs and mix into batter. I put a cast iron skillet with oil in it in the oven at about 450* until its scalding hot, then take it out, pour the batter into it which basically forms a crust because its so hot, then put it back in the oven until it rises and browns on top.
Old 8/17/13, 03:55 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Really don't have a recipe, just eyeball it. About 3 to 1 cornmeal to self rising flour and eggs and mix into batter. I put a cast iron skillet with oil in it in the oven at about 450* until its scalding hot, then take it out, pour the batter into it which basically forms a crust because its so hot, then put it back in the oven until it rises and browns on top.
Gotcha. I eyeball mine as well . . . no flour. Just curious from time-to-time how others make theirs. Thanks!
Old 8/17/13, 04:14 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Gotcha. I eyeball mine as well . . . no flour. Just curious from time-to-time how others make theirs. Thanks!
I like cornbread with a little brown sugar and some sweet yellow corn kernels mixed in as well if I'm eating it by itself with greens and other stuff. I make it like I mentioned above if I'm crumbling it into beans or peas.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been thinking about making some devil's cornbread (my name for what I think it should be). Make it the same as usual with corn meal and flour, but adding a good bit of brown sugar, some jalepeno juice, a little finely diced jalepenos into the batter, and then a swirl of honey on the top before baking it. Just thought it sounded good, might try it soon. I think it would be great right out of the oven. I normally spread some real butter all over a piece of my regular cornbread when it comes out hot and a drizzle of honey. Thought the above recipe might be good but haven't tried it yet.
Old 8/17/13, 04:29 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I like cornbread with a little brown sugar and some sweet yellow corn kernels mixed in as well if I'm eating it by itself with greens and other stuff. I make it like I mentioned above if I'm crumbling it into beans or peas.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been thinking about making some devil's cornbread (my name for what I think it should be). Make it the same as usual with corn meal and flour, but adding a good bit of brown sugar, some jalepeno juice, a little finely diced jalepenos into the batter, and then a swirl of honey on the top before baking it. Just thought it sounded good, might try it soon. I think it would be great right out of the oven. I normally spread some real butter all over a piece of my regular cornbread when it comes out hot and a drizzle of honey. Thought the above recipe might be good but haven't tried it yet.
I'm a cheater. I use the Jiffy mix and I love it. I like a sweet cornbread with lots of butter. The traditional southern style cornbread just doesn't do it for me. Then again South Louisiana food is way different from anywheres else in the south.
Old 8/17/13, 04:36 AM
Post *****

My Great-Grandmother would put jalapeños in hers every once a while. Was pretty good with her navy/pinto beans. I've never been big on sweet cornbread. Not sure why. (But I do love honey on biscuits.) And I usually eat half the pan and save the other half to put in a glass with milk for the next day.
Old 8/17/13, 04:42 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

My Great-Grandmother would put jalapeños in hers every once a while. Was pretty good with her navy/pinto beans. I've never been big on sweet cornbread. Not sure why. (But I do love honey on biscuits.) And I usually eat half the pan and save the other half to put in a glass with milk for the next day.
When it comes to my beans, I like regular ol' cornbread crumbled in them. when I cook beans, I usually use a pound of pintos and a pound of white beans (great northern I guess is what people outside the South call them), then cook them slow all day with a ham hock in them.
Old 8/17/13, 04:52 AM

When it comes to my beans, I like regular ol' cornbread crumbled in them. when I cook beans, I usually use a pound of pintos and a pound of white beans (great northern I guess is what people outside the South call them), then cook them slow all day with a ham hock in them.
I'm supposed to be cooking white beans tonight at work. Really can't wait. I've been craving them for a while now.
Old 8/17/13, 04:55 AM
Post *****

I'm hungry now.
Old 8/17/13, 01:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm hungry now.
I just make a regular recipe but have you tried cornbread for strawberry shortcake? Yum!!
Old 8/17/13, 04:07 PM

I'm cooking white beans and fresh pork sausage tonight. Andouille and smoked neckbones going in the beans. Dang the kitchen smells great and I haven't even started cooking.
Old 8/17/13, 05:37 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chili and rice with BEANS
Old 8/17/13, 05:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by NinjaSteffers
I made a pot of chili this evening too (with extra beans for Gary).

I like chili and rice, and to bring it back to the above, I like cornbread with it.
Old 8/17/13, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Southern Pit Barbecue Grillin Beans" with bread
Old 8/17/13, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I like chili and rice, and to bring it back to the above, I like cornbread with it.
Chili (with beans) and rice is good stuff. We alternate chili night, sometimes making it with white rice, and sometimes making it with macaroni noodles. Try it! Always have a couple warmed up and buttered corn tortillas on the side, garnish with shredded cheese, small dollop of sour cream and some diced tomato and onion! Mmmm
Old 8/17/13, 06:10 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah man should've made cornbread =(
Old 8/17/13, 06:12 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I just make a regular recipe but have you tried cornbread for strawberry shortcake? Yum!!
I haven't but my grandmother used to with fresh stawberrys and homemade whip cream. Yum!
Old 8/17/13, 07:19 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NinjaSteffers

Old 8/17/13, 07:25 PM

It's getting serious now.
Attached Thumbnails WHATS FOR DINNER?-image-649068107.jpg  

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?