Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/13, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

Chili is Chili. Stew is Stew. And Soup is Soup!
Suuuure. Lol
Old 8/18/13, 02:24 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Is the chili without beans eaten over pasta or something? Just sounds like meat sauce to me.
Old 8/18/13, 02:28 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Is the chili without beans eaten over pasta or something? Just sounds like meat sauce to me.
Old 8/18/13, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

That was an honest question. Throw in beans and you got a whole meal in one bowl. Just wondering because I don't live in Texas and never had meat sauce chili. Unless its on a hot dog.
Old 8/18/13, 02:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Chili without beans=soup!
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
Old 8/18/13, 02:40 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Tacos tonight.
Old 8/18/13, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sonic! We don't got them around me so it's a must when traveling
Old 8/18/13, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Tacos tonight.
Didn't you just post a rant about the Mexicans? Go make a burger instead.
Old 8/18/13, 03:09 PM
Post *****

That was an honest question. Throw in beans and you got a whole meal in one bowl. Just wondering because I don't live in Texas and never had meat sauce chili. Unless its on a hot dog.
When I lived at home with my parents my mom would make cornbread and we'd just have chili and cornbread. I alway eat my chili with crackers and a spoon. But I will mostly scoop the chili meat and sauce onto the cracker and them eat it. My mother puts raw onions on top of hers and my kids and wife put some grated cheddar on top and they all eat theirs with a spoon.

Now most of the time we make it with chili meat but I will often used some diced up sirloin to make my chili. And the focus is on the heat. The chili has to have some peppers in it for a real kick in the pants. It should drain your sinuses.

Oh and sometimes I'll get some tamales from the local homemade tamale place and them dunk them in it and eat that too.

But never over rice and never over a hit dog. The chili is spicy and doesn't go on a hot dog. It's about as far formed canned chili as you can get.
Old 8/18/13, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Those of you saying that chili without beans is just soup, have never had real chili then. The stuff I eat is no form of meat sauce, as I make both. My beans always are slow-cooked with a ham steak, my meat sauce is a sauce, and my chili is chili. It's not soup, it's not stew, it's not sauce. It's chili. If it has beans in it, then it's chili with beans--not chili. And like Gary's, it will clear your sinuses. Cornbread is eaten with beans, not chili. Chili is eaten with corn tortillas around here, and where I grew up (El Paso).

Poor, misguided, food-ignorant people.
Old 8/18/13, 03:26 PM
Post *****

Jesus H. Christ autocorrect really ducked up my post
Old 8/18/13, 03:27 PM

When I lived at home with my parents my mom would make cornbread and we'd just have chili and cornbread. I alway eat my chili with crackers and a spoon. But I will mostly scoop the chili meat and sauce onto the cracker and them eat it. My mother puts raw onions on top of hers and my kids and wife put some grated cheddar on top and they all eat theirs with a spoon.

Now most of the time we make it with chili meat but I will often used some diced up sirloin to make my chili. And the focus is on the heat. The chili has to have some peppers in it for a real kick in the pants. It should drain your sinuses.

Oh and sometimes I'll get some tamales from the local homemade tamale place and them dunk them in it and eat that too.

But never over rice and never over a hit dog. The chili is spicy and doesn't go on a hot dog. It's about as far formed canned chili as you can get.
I make a different chili for hot dogs. Not hot and more tomato. I make regular chili with beans though. Last year I made it a couple times with ground smoked sausage and andouille which was great. Still had beans of course. I usually eat mine with crackers and grated cheese also.
Old 8/18/13, 03:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Those of you saying that chili without beans is just soup, have never had real chili then. The stuff I eat is no form of meat sauce, as I make both. My beans always are slow-cooked with a ham steak, my meat sauce is a sauce, and my chili is chili. It's not soup, it's not stew, it's not sauce. It's chili. If it has beans in it, then it's chili with beans--not chili. And like Gary's, it will clear your sinuses. Cornbread is eaten with beans, not chili. Chili is eaten with corn tortillas around here, and where I grew up (El Paso).

Yeah you're right. Corn tortillas and chili are like cornbread and beans. It's a meal and its oh so good. Roll some chili up in the tortilla and them dunk it with every bite.

We always make the first batch of chili with the first cold front in October if we are lucky. It'll warm you up and stick to your ribs as they say.
Old 8/18/13, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah you're right. Corn tortillas and chili are like cornbread and beans. It's a meal and its oh so good. Roll some chili up in the tortilla and them dunk it with every bite.

We always make the first batch of chili with the first cold front in October if we are lucky. It'll warm you up and stick to your ribs as they say.
Yeah, it's one of those seasonal passage rites: when it gets cold, it's chili weather.
Old 8/18/13, 03:31 PM

Getting off the subject slightly, is stew served over rice? Down here just about everything is over rice. Just wondering. I heard about Yankees not using rice. Soup doesn't have rice but gumbo(which is still soup) has rice in it.
Old 8/18/13, 03:32 PM

Yeah, it's one of those seasonal passage rites: when it gets cold, it's chili weather.
That's when we make gumbo. Always laugh when people say its gumbo weather.
Old 8/18/13, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Getting off the subject slightly, is stew served over rice? Down here just about everything is over rice. Just wondering. I heard about Yankees not using rice. Soup doesn't have rice but gumbo(which is still soup) has rice in it.
I love gumbo. And yes definitely with rice but I'd eat it without rice too.

We're not to big on rice in these parts unless its Spanish rice of course but its not integral like in Cajun cuisine.

Cajun cuisine is special and I love it like I love Mexican food. I'm jealous you get to live there and eat it all the time and think nothing of it as being something special like it is here. The trinity is a fine thing.
Old 8/18/13, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Almost forgot about deer chili. Also a winter tradition. Putting beans in deer chili is a good way to get shot.
Old 8/18/13, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

We do stew over rice, or boiled potatoes or over noodles. Depends on the mood. Ugh I want some chili and cornbread!
Old 8/18/13, 03:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I eat my chili with crackers crumbled in it, sometimes with a little shredded cheddar on top. If I eat it over rice I don't put crackers in it, but I like a piece of buttered cornbread on the side.

Now something most find weird, I like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a bowl of chili and a glass of milk. I guess its from when I was a kid, when they served chili for lunch at school they always served a peanut butter sandwich with it (the kind of peanut butter with honey mixed in it).

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?