Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/08, 05:16 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Darrell did you have to adjust your angle and if so did you use an upper control arm or lowers? I have Steeda lowers now but they're NOT adjustable.

I have both upper and lower adjustable control arms but when I did the shaft install I actually didn't need to adjust either one. My degree numbers were right on. I believe you have said that you only put lower springs on the back and not your front. That may be the problem. Also if you have a Dial gauge and base you could check the shaft to see if it is out of round. I think Harbor freight tools have this for about 30 bucks.

Also you newbie shaft guys seem to have forgot about the Safety hoop that you need for that just in case I screwed up Insurance cause.

Old 1/11/08, 05:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I am not trying to be a smart arze but I thought that was the advantage of a 4" dia driveshaft. Less harmonics going on. I think!
Well I don't think I'd describe this as harmonics..... besides there are other guys running 3.5" shafts without problems. I followed Leo's/Tacobill's thread about their 3.5" shaftmaster install and did exactly as they did- (atleast I really think so LOL)- and they're saying no problems on an automatic car. Anyway I'm going to call Shaftmasters this morning around 8 and talk to them. I pm'ed them at like 6:30 this morning and they responded already. CAN'T BEAT THAT!
Old 1/11/08, 05:22 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

This is the dial gauge and with base its less than 20

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=623

And the Angle finder less than 10

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...06M&lpage=none

Hope you guys get your problems figure out or I'll be driving alone to all the shows this year
Old 1/11/08, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I don't think I'd describe this as harmonics..... besides there are other guys running 3.5" shafts without problems. I followed Leo's/Tacobill's thread about their 3.5" shaftmaster install and did exactly as they did- (atleast I really think so LOL)- and they're saying no problems on an automatic car. Anyway I'm going to call Shaftmasters this morning around 8 and talk to them. I pm'ed them at like 6:30 this morning and they responded already. CAN'T BEAT THAT!

I am sure you will get it worked out and be up and running before me.
Old 1/11/08, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
This is the dial gauge and with base its less than 20

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=623

And the Angle finder less than 10

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...06M&lpage=none

Hope you guys get your problems figure out or I'll be driving alone to all the shows this year
Thanks Darrell.....

I am sure you will get it worked out and be up and running before me.
I hope so....

I just took the car out into the country roads...... it feels pretty good up to right at 80- then I start to get the feeling and it gets worse up to around 100 then it stays the same from 100 on up to 115 (I didn't take it faster).

UPDATE: I just spoke to Robert at Shaftmasters and he was very helpful..... I'm gonna try some things tonight/tomorrow and see if I get any improvements.
Old 1/11/08, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I receive the new pinion flange from Spyder7724 today and had the car towed to my gear guy this afternoon. I should know something on Monday. His feeling is I probably have not hurt anything at all. He wanted the stock pinion flange also because he is going to take some measurments on both flanges to make sure they are Okay!

Tom,
What are the few things you are trying to solve your problem?
Scott
Old 1/12/08, 02:58 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Man this forum works about as good as you guys installing your shafts

Old 1/12/08, 04:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
Man this forum works about as good as you guys installing your shafts

Heard that. You at work also? I'm in from 6-11 today. Since the car is at the garage I might have to do some work in the house this weekend.
Old 1/12/08, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK..... after talking to Robert yesterday, he was very confident that I didn't have the adaptor seated right. So I took his advice and pulled the shaft back out last night. (I broke out my air tools so this time was much easier and quicker).

While I had the shaft out, I went ahead and measured my pinion angle- Darrell, thanks for the lead on the angle finder! On a scale that reads to 100 then starts over, my trans flange was 99 and my rear flange with adaptor on it was 1. I believe this is the 2 degrees that everyone talks about, so that seems OK.

After pulling the shaft, I noticed there was Loctite between the shaft and adaptor- then after pulling the adaptor I realized there was more Loctite between it and the pinion flange. I only put a couple of drops on the bolts but none the less it got between these two areas. So I spent some time cleaning off these mating points, put everything back together (with a tad less Loctite), torqued everything down and went for a drive.....

NO VIBRATIONS ATLEAST UP TO 100MPH.... that's as high as I took it last night.

Shaftmaster's really are great to deal with.
Old 1/12/08, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK..... after talking to Robert yesterday, he was very confident that I didn't have the adaptor seated right. So I took his advice and pulled the shaft back out last night. (I broke out my air tools so this time was much easier and quicker).

While I had the shaft out, I went ahead and measured my pinion angle- Darrell, thanks for the lead on the angle finder! On a scale that reads to 100 then starts over, my trans flange was 99 and my rear flange with adaptor on it was 1. I believe this is the 2 degrees that everyone talks about, so that seems OK.

After pulling the shaft, I noticed there was Loctite between the shaft and adaptor- then after pulling the adaptor I realized there was more Loctite between it and the pinion flange. I only put a couple of drops on the bolts but none the less it got between these two areas. So I spent some time cleaning off these mating points, put everything back together (with a tad less Loctite), torqued everything down and went for a drive.....

Good deal! If it didn't vibrate up to 100 I'd say you have it fixed. Maybe I will get to drive mine on Monday night.
Old 1/12/08, 07:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, Great to hear you got your Shaft functioning correctly ! your to Young to have a Shaft problem....... On the other hand 70MACH1OWNER at his age is a custom to leaky rear ends and Shaft issue's........ .
Old 1/12/08, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Tom, Great to hear you got your Shaft functioning correctly ! your to Young to have a Shaft problem....... On the other hand 70MACH1OWNER at his age is a custom to leaky rear ends and Shaft issue's........ .

Ain't it the truth. Remember when you were a kid and you were at the grandparents house for dinner and saw Grandma or Grandpaw taking a fist full of drugs before they ate supper. I used to think I would never be like that. Well, I take a baby asperin, 10 mg of Lipitor, and high blood pressure meds daily. Also had to get glasses in the last 5 years. Next will probably be "shaft hardener meds" I am truely convinced it is chemicals that keep us alive after 50 yrs. old.
Old 1/12/08, 08:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

"Next will probably be "shaft hardener meds" "

Why would you need those if you never get to use your shaft?

Sorry Scott, couldn't resist.
Old 1/12/08, 08:32 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Ain't it the truth. Remember when you were a kid and you were at the grandparents house for dinner and saw Grandma or Grandpaw taking a fist full of drugs before they ate supper. I used to think I would never be like that. Well, I take a baby asperin, 10 mg of Lipitor, and high blood pressure meds daily. Also had to get glasses in the last 5 years. Next will probably be "shaft hardener meds" I am truely convinced it is chemicals that keep us alive after 50 yrs. old.

Hehehehe ya a fist full of drugs. I take 6 different pills for my Diabetes, Chorestral, Triglyeriels (sic), etc. etc. I need reading glasses

Tom glad you got your shaft fixed, I was going to next suggest either a blue pill or a book I found "Installing Driveshafts for Dumbies" .
I hope Scott its it up next Monday . My car still sets in the garage for at least another 2 months plus.

A question for you guys to hammer me with your answers: How much Carbon Fiber is to Ricee? My wife really likes the way it looks .
Old 1/12/08, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
A question for you guys to hammer me with your answers: How much Carbon Fiber is to Ricee? My wife really likes the way it looks .

I'm not sure how to answer this one..... where you gonna put more Fiber- your diet?
Old 1/12/08, 08:57 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not sure how to answer this one..... where you gonna put more Fiber- your diet?
Pictures tomorrow and your Buddies from Shaftmasters were in here seeing what bad things you are saying about them

Viewers on line
dly, shaftmasters, poldrv
Old 1/12/08, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hahaha well they are in Michigan, so technically they're Midwesterners too....
Old 1/12/08, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
http://www.prostreetromania.ro/prostreet.htm
good stuff
watch the vid
Old 1/12/08, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
Hehehehe ya a fist full of drugs. I take 6 different pills for my Diabetes, Chorestral, Triglyeriels (sic), etc. etc. I need reading glasses

Tom glad you got your shaft fixed, I was going to next suggest either a blue pill or a book I found "Installing Driveshafts for Dumbies" .
I hope Scott its it up next Monday . My car still sets in the garage for at least another 2 months plus.

Hey Darrell,
I was in denial for 2-3 years before I got my glasses. Is that where you are now? I'm not sure where the threshold is on too much carbon fiber is but...since your in the old man's group maybe she would like a carbon fiber prophylactic for her man. Give him stunning good looks and staying power. What's ya think?
Scott
Old 1/12/08, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hahaha Glenn that is great!

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread