Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
If I didn't have my eye about 1300.00 worth of goodies from Brent I would get one of those driveshafts. NSR Cams, C&L Racer Intake, BBK Throttle Body and CMDP .

I think I am gonna forget the Blower, I can fill a N2O bottle alot of times for 3700.00.
1) 1300/3700= 1/3 of the way there to paying for the blower.

2) March = tax return...... = rest of funds needed to pay for the blower.

3) Blower = more power than your nitrous can provide without having to mess with tunes, bottles, etc. As an option, you could sell nitrous system to help support funding the blower install.

I know what you're going to say...... stop right there Ben, no need to thank me- you're welcome.
Old 1/5/08, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
No not Maynard again!!!!!!!!! I'll send you your commission in a stool softner of your choice.
In to work early today to get a few things done before Larry (Aircare84) gets here around 8-8:30. Todays the day for my OBX header install. Shouldn't take too long since everything is basically removed and ready to install and we have been thru it once on his car.

Hey Ben,
Get that stuff ordered. Maybe Brenspeed can do a double cam install on Feb. 15th. Worth a phone call. Talk to Dave.
Good luck on the headers Scott !........Hey ! post some pics,.............and new sound clip!...........You should have time, I hear all you do is sit and drink beer, while Larry does all the work!!............
Old 1/5/08, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Good luck on the headers Scott !........Hey ! post some pics,.............and new sound clip!...........You should have time, I hear all you do is sit and drink beer, while Larry does all the work!!............

Okay smart butt. The header install is complete. I'm drunk and Larry is plum tuckered out. But I have to admit he did all of the undercar work today. His 142 lb frame just gets around under there easier then my 220 lb frame does. He can get his hands and arms in places I don't dare try. My install was not as easy as his for 2 reasons. The auto trans and convertible is different than coupes. I have trans cooler lines, and different bellhousing, and a couple of extra strenghtening bars and brackets that are not on the coupes. Plus my H-pipe setup that came with the header did not fit real good. It took a BFHammer to get mine in place. I also have anyother issue that only allow me to drive down the road a couple of hundred yards before I slowly returned to the garage. And it wasn't my brakes.
Old 1/5/08, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ruh roh shaggy (my best Scooby Doo)..........

problems with that replacement shaft??? If you need an extra set of nuts to help you tighten that pinion nut just let me know...
Old 1/5/08, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Ruh roh shaggy (my best Scooby Doo)..........

problems with that replacement shaft??? If you need an extra set of nuts to help you tighten that pinion nut just let me know...

You may remember when I was doing the Spyieshaft I bit*hed about the amount of effort and the big pipe required to draw that new pinion flange on. Well when I got to 150 lbs. which is the max I stopped. I have a big time rear gear whine so Larry and I are convinced I don't have the pinion flange and gear seated correctly. I just sent Ron (Spyder7724) a PM asking for direction. My guess is even a bigger F'n pipe.
Old 1/5/08, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well let's hope that the little bit of driving didn't screw up the gears or housing....... I'm sure it won't be that bad of a fix. Are you sure the shaft isn't hitting anything? Also I would ask about your pinion angle.
Old 1/5/08, 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Scott,
I forgot to thank Karen for the lunch & say goodbye;Please pass on for me.
Hope you get some good advice/suggestions from Ron on the pinion/flange install.
We forgot to get any pics on your header install
Nursing my sore elbow with a few rum & cokes

Tom,
the shaft is well clear, it definatly is a pinion preload/gear mesh whine. That sucker is huge though!
Alot lighter, but big in diameter.
Old 1/5/08, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Okay smart butt. The header install is complete. I'm drunk and Larry is plum tuckered out. But I have to admit he did all of the undercar work today. His 142 lb frame just gets around under there easier then my 220 lb frame does. He can get his hands and arms in places I don't dare try. My install was not as easy as his for 2 reasons. The auto trans and convertible is different than coupes. I have trans cooler lines, and different bellhousing, and a couple of extra strenghtening bars and brackets that are not on the coupes. Plus my H-pipe setup that came with the header did not fit real good. It took a BFHammer to get mine in place. I also have anyother issue that only allow me to drive down the road a couple of hundred yards before I slowly returned to the garage. And it wasn't my brakes.
Scott, sorry to hear about problems ! Trans cooler lines , when I did my shortie's I wondered what type interference they would cause on long tubes! besides the A arm brace what type of extra bracing is there on the front half of your Vert ?........I'm freekin over the the Shaft ? for something that looks so straight forward I do see posted quite a few problems with installs....
Old 1/5/08, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Scott,
I forgot to thank Karen for the lunch & say goodbye;Please pass on for me.
Hope you get some good advice/suggestions from Ron on the pinion/flange install.
We forgot to get any pics on your header install
Nursing my sore elbow with a few rum & cokes

Tom,
the shaft is well clear, it definatly is a pinion preload/gear mesh whine. That sucker is huge though!
Alot lighter, but big in diameter.
Larry,
Glad you made it home safely. Karen is sitting here with me she says "your welcome". Again Larry thanks for all your help. Your " " in my book.

Tom,
I am sure what the problem is with the rear flange...I am just not sure what to do about it. I have not heard back from Spyder7724 yet. I have time. Don't need the car until I head to Brenspeeds next month. I will start a new thread in the morning about my OBX header install. I have some pictures already but will get some more tommorow.
Scott
Old 1/5/08, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't need the car until next month??? What are you, nuts? You gonna be driving the 'Bug and Karen the truck or what?

I say, let's get that sucker fixed this week so you can drive, enjoy, and tell us how the car feels with the new shaft, headers, brakes, etc.

Oh and if Karen is still sitting there with you, don't let her read what I said about the shaft, headers, brakes, etc. I don't want to remind the boss of what all you've been up to lately. You can tell her I said hello though..

Old 1/5/08, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't need the car until next month??? What are you, nuts? You gonna be driving the 'Bug and Karen the truck or what?

I say, let's get that sucker fixed this week so you can drive, enjoy, and tell us how the car feels with the new shaft, headers, brakes, etc.

Oh and if Karen is still sitting there with you, don't let her read what I said about the shaft, headers, brakes, etc. I don't want to remind the boss of what all you've been up to lately. You can tell her I said hello though..

I sure will.
Old 1/5/08, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Scott, sorry to hear about problems ! Trans cooler lines , when I did my shortie's I wondered what type interference they would cause on long tubes! besides the A arm brace what type of extra bracing is there on the front half of your Vert ?........I'm freekin over the the Shaft ? for something that looks so straight forward I do see posted quite a few problems with installs....

I don't know what all of the bars and extra supports under my car are called but they don't exist on Larry's coupe. The trans cooler lines do not intefere with the longtubes themselves but just make it that much harder to work around on the passenger side of the engine.
And Tom,
You are correct that the Prothane mounts raise the engine up. I will need to remove my shims under the Shaker also. When you hold them up to the stock mounts they look the same height. Larry and I just think the stock mounts just squish down under the weight of the engine and the prothanes don't.
Old 1/5/08, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And Tom,
You are correct that the Prothane mounts raise the engine up. I will need to remove my shims under the Shaker also. When you hold them up to the stock mounts they look the same height. Larry and I just think the stock mounts just squish down under the weight of the engine and the prothanes don't.

Yep, I think you're right- they look the same as the stockers but they're not. I didn't use that allen head bolt- I went and got hardened bolts to replace them so I could just use a metric socket and also have more contact area on the engine mounts. Did you use the supplied bolt or spring for something else?

Oh by the way, how do you like the mounts? How does the car sound with the headers??? Give me some info would ya, you're killing me.
Old 1/5/08, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't know what all of the bars and extra supports under my car are called but they don't exist on Larry's coupe. The trans cooler lines do not intefere with the longtubes themselves but just make it that much harder to work around on the passenger side of the engine.
And Tom,
So! Big Daddy on these Prothane Motor mounts, What is the motor hight before and after install? Sounds like they might solve my header, steering shaft contact issue............
Old 1/6/08, 03:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep, I think you're right- they look the same as the stockers but they're not. I didn't use that allen head bolt- I went and got hardened bolts to replace them so I could just use a metric socket and also have more contact area on the engine mounts. Did you use the supplied bolt or spring for something else?

Oh by the way, how do you like the mounts? How does the car sound with the headers??? Give me some info would ya, you're killing me.
I did use the supplied Allen head bolts but both Larry and I agreed they should supply a good hex bolt. I intend to get replacements in the future but they are not at the top of my list. We could get to the socket head on the drivers side okay but the passenger side had a primary laying over it so it was almost impossible to get to and put any amount of torque on it. A hex bolt would be much better. I intend to start a new thread with pictures and sound clips later today.

So! Big Daddy on these Prothane Motor mounts, What is the motor hight before and after install? Sounds like they might solve my header, steering shaft contact issue............
Well when Tom did his mounts he made a guess that it raised his engine about 1/2 inch. From what I can see that is a pretty good guess. It is putting my Shaker in a bind right now. I have shims under my Shaker brackets that I need to take out now. The steering shaft is close on these OBX headers also. We took measurements from Larry's car and put a well positioned flat on the primary on my set. I have plenty of room.
Old 1/6/08, 06:10 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
OK what Mod is screwing up the process here?

I'm thinking its the nut between the Steering wheel and the seat or old age disease.
Old 1/6/08, 06:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly

I'm thinking its the nut between the Steering wheel and the seat or old age disease.

Your half right Darrell. It is a nut alright. You may remember back when I did my Spydershaft install I had a bit@h of a time drawing the pinion flange down. Well it is not right. When Larry and I went a for a ride yesterday after my header install I have a big time rear gear whine. We only went a couple hundred yards and put her back in the garage. I have PM'd Spdyer7724 to get his imput but have not heard anything back yet.
Old 1/6/08, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I bet Shaftmaster's would have called you by now......

JUST KIDDING!
Old 1/6/08, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dly

What more can one say!..
Old 1/6/08, 07:29 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Well if you run open headers ,I bet you won't even hear it

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread